PDA

View Full Version : dumb question #18

mike squires
10-30-2005, 12:26 AM
I think I already know the answer to this one but I'm gonna ask it anyway...

Does the World series trophy travel from team to team when there is a new champion? Or does it sit in the teams offices in a glass case or something. Is it the same for Stanley cup? Football? Basketball? Is the trophy we just won the same one the Redsox won last year?

I did a poll last year ya all...majority rules....the dumb questions will keep on coming.

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty sure a new trophy is made for each team.

I think I recall seeing a close up of the Angles trophy sitting in their stadium during the ALCS.

Of course there's also evidence when Costanza dragged the trophy behind his car in an attempt to get fired.

RKMeibalane
10-30-2005, 12:45 AM

I think I recall seeing a close up of the Angles trophy sitting in their stadium during the ALCS.

Of course there's also evidence when Costanza dragged the trophy behind his car in an attempt to get fired.

Maybe DJ did that already, and that's why he hasn't been around.

HotelWhiteSox
10-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Actually I was wondering the same exact thing, can't really find anything if you try to google it. I hope each team gets its own so it can be displayed somewhere forever (like each Soxfest and behind glass somewhere at the Cell)

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Each team has their own, their name and year is on the bottom.

Daver
10-30-2005, 12:58 AM

Who in the hell are the Angles?

:)

RKMeibalane
10-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Who in the hell are the Angles?

:)

They're a team that plays at Trapezoid Park, located outside of Spokane, Washington.

TornLabrum
10-30-2005, 01:06 AM
They're a team that plays at Trapezoid Park, located outside of Spokane, Washington.

And their advertising slogan this year was, "You can't trisect us with a compass, no matter how hard you try."

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 01:06 AM

They bitch and moan about umpires a lot, too.

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
And their advertising slogan this year was, "You can't trisect us with a compass, no matter how hard you try."

Nice, very nice :roflmao:

Chips
10-30-2005, 01:43 AM
I think I already know the answer to this one but I'm gonna ask it anyway...

Does the World series trophy travel from team to team when there is a new champion? Or does it sit in the teams offices in a glass case or something. Is it the same for Stanley cup? Football? Basketball? Is the trophy we just won the same one the Redsox won last year?

I did a poll last year ya all...majority rules....the dumb questions will keep on coming.

The World Series champs get a new trophy each year. Same with basketball, the winners get the Larry O'Brein trophy. In football, the Super Bowl winner gets a Lombardi trophy each year. Only in hockey is the trophy passed around with the winning team getting their roster engraved on the cup and after a while the rings of the cup get retired to the Hall of Fame, which keeps the cup at its current size.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-30-2005, 01:56 AM
The World Series champs get a new trophy each year. Same with basketball, the winners get the Larry O'Brein trophy. In football, the Super Bowl winner gets a Lombardi trophy each year. Only in hockey is the trophy passed around with the winning team getting their roster engraved on the cup and after a while the rings of the cup get retired to the Hall of Fame, which keeps the cup at its current size.

You can visit the retired rings at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto - not a far walk from the SkyDome. The hall is located in an old bank building and the room housing the old rings on the cup are stored in a vault.

The Hockey Hall of Fame is my second favorite Hall of Fame (next to baseball) - A great place to learn about Old Time Eddie Shore hockey, eh. Easier to get to vs. Cooperstown that is for sure. A good 3 - 4 hours will get you through the Hockey Hall whereas you should probably try to reserve two days for the Baseball Hall of Fame and surrounding stores / exhibits.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-30-2005, 01:17 AM
How long have they been awarding a trophy for winning the World Series? I'm guessing the tradition doesn't go back as far as 1917, or I'd have seen one displayed somewhere in the ballpark. Has the trophy always looked as it does today, or have there been previous versions? IMO, it is definitely the coolest-looking trophy in the entire world of sports.

The sight of that trophy last Wednesday night, and the realization that this one is ours, was a surprisingly emotional moment for me, and the third most anticipated occurrence of the evening (after the first Sox run and the final Houston out, in that order).

HotelWhiteSox
10-30-2005, 01:39 AM
I think the 60s, but only because I was browsing Wikipedia and they showed a different variation that was used from 1966 to 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_series#1961-1968:__The_first_expansion_period

VenturaSoxFan23
10-30-2005, 01:46 PM

I thought he was talking about the wrestling Angle brothers from suburban Pittsburgh. It's true, it's damn true.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2005, 05:15 PM
The Hockey Hall of Fame is my second favorite Hall of Fame (next to baseball) - A great place to learn about Old Time Eddie Shore hockey, eh. Easier to get to vs. Cooperstown that is for sure. A good 3 - 4 hours will get you through the Hockey Hall whereas you should probably try to reserve two days for the Baseball Hall of Fame and surrounding stores / exhibits.
Don't forget the amazing display of historic goalie masks. :thumbsup:

(a message from the government of Ontario)