PDA

View Full Version : This team made Cubs fans wake up??

CJLove23
10-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I found this reply kind of interesting and was wondering what everyone thought about a "die-hard" Cubs fan switching because of this season. It's quite curious...I know most won't care, but I actually thought it was a good post :dunno:

Scroll down to the very last reply by Frank Smithe (http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/column_caws_for.html#comments)

tebman
10-29-2005, 08:38 PM
I found this reply kind of interesting and was wondering what everyone thought about a "die-hard" Cubs fan switching because of this season. It's quite curious...I know most won't care, but I actually thought it was a good post :dunno:

Scroll down to the very last reply by Frank Smithe (http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/column_caws_for.html#comments)
It's a fun read, though it might be a troll.

Interesting though how he referred to himself as a "die-hard" Cub fan who was now high on the Sox. Isn't that a logical contradiction?

RKMeibalane
10-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Nothing will wake up Cubs fans. They're all lying on the floor passed out because they drank too much. :cool:

antitwins13
10-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Nothing will wake up Cubs fans. They're all lying on the floor passed out because they drank too much. :cool:

Post of the week nominee. LOL!

kittle42
10-30-2005, 05:07 PM
They're all lying on the floor passed out because they drank too much. :cool:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Baby Fisk
10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Heh, me too. (thursday morning) :redface:

Wsoxmike59
10-30-2005, 10:01 PM
This response was my favorite:

I am a Cubs fan, but I have been to my share of White Sox games over the years and have enjoyed their success this year. Congratulations to the White Sox and their fans on their championship! Not that they need any suggestions, but the funniest taunt I’ve heard for a Sox fan to now use against a Cubs fan goes something like this: “not only have we now won two World Series since you last won one, we threw one too!” :D:

Chips
10-30-2005, 10:03 PM
I tried to get my old man to convert but he gave me an impossible task to complete so he will always be a bum cub fan.

DumpJerry
10-30-2005, 11:16 PM
That Smite guy reminds me of someone I know who told way back in June "I'm a Cubs fan, but I love watching your team. The Sox just find a way to win every night, they are so exciting!"

He cheered on the WS games with me.:D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
I continue to be amazed at how William Ligue is their poster boy for all things Sox...correct me if I am wrong, fellow WSI'ers...but wasn't Ligue at the Cub game that afternoon, drinking all day??? If I am correct, then the CUBS attacked Gamboa....but wait, that can't be.
Cub fans don't attack anyone...right, Los Angeles Dodgers??

Wsoxmike59
10-31-2005, 11:05 PM
I continue to be amazed at how William Ligue is their poster boy for all things Sox...correct me if I am wrong, fellow WSI'ers...but wasn't Ligue at the Cub game that afternoon, drinking all day??? If I am correct, then the CUBS attacked Gamboa....but wait, that can't be.
Cub fans don't attack anyone...right, Los Angeles Dodgers??

You're thinking of the 2nd incident when Eric Dybas an unemployed Cub fan spent the day at Wrigley Field drinking and then came to the Sox game at night, and attacked 1B umpire Laz Diaz.

Lique and son were just two low life losers who happened to go to a Sox game, got tanked at the game, and attacked Royals 1B coach Tom Gamboa. They were hardly baseball fans, let alone Sox fans!

TornLabrum
10-31-2005, 11:14 PM
You're thinking of the 2nd incident when Eric Dybas an unemployed Cub fan spent the day at Wrigley Field drinking and then came to the Sox game at night, and attacked 1B umpire Laz Diaz.

Lique and son were just two low life losers who happened to go to a Sox game, got tanked at the game, and attacked Royals 1B coach Tom Gamboa. They were hardly baseball fans, let alone Sox fans!

The elder Ligue was actually chaperoning a birthday party.

GoSox2K3
10-31-2005, 11:19 PM
I continue to be amazed at how William Ligue is their poster boy for all things Sox...

I think this answers the question raised in this thread of whether "this team made Cubs fans wake up?" The answer is a resounding NO! They continue to cling desperately to Ligue and "attendance" while the rest of us are toasting a world championship.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-01-2005, 08:11 AM

I stand corrected. Thank you for correcting my memory. I guess Cub fans are right about us, after all.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
I stand corrected. Thank you for correcting my memory. I guess Cub fans are right about us, after all.

The defining moment for Cubdom was when 40,000+ gave Sammy Sosa a standing ovation the night after the corked bat incident. It's one thing when a drunk moron or two act like total idiots (ie. Ligue)...but when thousands of fans stand in unison to cheer a cheater who had been caught red handed the night before...that says alot more about a group of fans....and what they are all about.

SOXPHILE
11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
The defining moment for Cubdom was when 40,000+ gave Sammy Sosa a standing ovation the night after the corked bat incident. It's one thing when a drunk moron or two act like total idiots (ie. Ligue)...but when thousands of fans stand in unison to cheer a cheater who had been caught red handed the night before...that says alot more about a group of fans....and what they are all about.

That spoke volumes. I also remember the camera zooming in on a guy holding a sign that read Sammy Sosa Is Still My Hero. I wanted to reach through my t.v. screen and punch him. Funny thing is, a year later, he was probably one of the blue sheep yellling about Sammy striking out alot, leaving early, and calling for the Cubs to trade him. Then, this past season, he was almost certainly bitching about what a bum Sosa is, how he's probably on steroids, etc. That is, if he still followed baseball anymore now that the puffy, bloated circus act had left town.

TDog
11-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I liked the list of things that have happened since the Cubs last won the World Series, mostly because it was so well written. I also enjoyed it, not because such a list would make Cubs fans suffer, but because a similar list can no longer be applied when discussing White Sox championship aspirations.

If Cubs fans are perplexed about the Sox fans seeming obsessed with them, they might recall the abuse they were directing at Sox fans when the Sox were "choking" about six weeks ago. I heard it at work, three time zones from Chicago.

In the end, the Sox weren't the 1969 Cubs. They weren't the 1984 Cubs. They weren't the 2003 Cubs. The Sox were the Yankees of the late 1990s. I have remained silent on the topic. It was enough that the season was fun. Winning is the best revenge.

But if one of the Cubs fans I work whines about World Series ratings, I will point out that the Sox got better ratings than the Cubs did the last time they played for the championship of the baseball world.

Television was decades away from invention the last time the Cubs won it.