PDA

View Full Version : Paulie's replacement?

Qdaddy
10-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Again, I love Paulie, but if we can't sign him who do you think would be a good replacement for him??

I would say Tony Clark, he's a switch-hitter with some power and might come prett chreap. I'm not saying he'll completely replace Paulie, but maybe 80% of his production and use the rest of the money on sureing up other positions.

What do you guys think?

GO Sox!

Theanticub
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Again, I love Paulie, but if we can't sign him who do you think would be a good replacement for him??

I would say Tony Clark, he's a switch-hitter with some power and might come prett chreap. I'm not saying he'll completely replace Paulie, but maybe 80% of his production and use the rest of the money on sureing up other positions.

What do you guys think?

GO Sox!

We WILL sign paulie. No question about it, actuall you can save this post to say that I called it. With an emotional speech, and 15 days of sole negotiation with the white sox...there is no way we won't come to an agreement. He knows we can do this again.

Deadguy
10-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Tony already signed a 2 year deal with the Diamondbacks back in August. He is not an option, at least until he tanks, and is available at the deadline.

batmanZoSo
10-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Tony already signed a 2 year deal with the Diamondbacks back in August. He is not an option, at least until he tanks, and is available at the deadline.

And once he tanks we'll be all over him! :cool:

rmusacch
10-29-2005, 06:43 PM

What do you guys think?

GO Sox!

Tony Clark sucks.

Palehose13
10-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Looking at the available FA's, IMO, the best guy after Paulie is *gulp* Travis Lee. I hope we sign Paulie, if not it looks like maybe a trade, or T. Lee...

Malgar 12
10-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Tony Clark sucks.

Why did it take so long to get to the obvious?

DickAllen72
10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
If we don't sign Paulie, Jermaine Dye will probably be moved to 1B, with Anderson getting a shot in RF.

If Paulie doesn't sign here, I'd like to see the Sox use some of that money to make a run at Furcal.

We all saw how valuable a speedy leadoff type hitter is, and they are in short supply. It'd be nice to have two of them around. We saw how the Sox struggled when Podsednik was injured. Furcal could bat second so Iguchi can be moved down to the middle of the lineup.

Furcal could play SS, with Uribe moving over to 2B and Iguchi at DH. This gives the Sox more speed, depth and vesatility.

If Paulie signs at a fair price, the Sox could still make a run at Furcal by getting the salaries of Frank & Carl (whom I both love) off the books.

Daver
10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Why are you posting in that huge annoying font?

CanBuehrleWait
10-29-2005, 07:25 PM
If we don't sign Paulie, Jermaine Dye will probably be moved to 1B, with Anderson getting a shot in RF.

If Paulie doesn't sign here, I'd like to see the Sox use some of that money to make a run at Furcal.

We all saw how valuable a speedy leadoff type hitter is, and they are in short supply. It'd be nice to have two of them around. We saw how the Sox struggled when Podsednik was injured. Furcal could bat second so Iguchi can be moved down to the middle of the lineup.

Furcal could play SS, with Uribe moving over to 2B and Iguchi at DH. This gives the Sox more speed, depth and vesatility.

If Paulie signs at a fair price, the Sox could still make a run at Furcal by getting the salaries of Frank & Carl (whom I both love) off the books.

Podsednik Furcal and Gooch 123 Mercy! However Gooch can't DH because with the 3.5 million dollar buy out..
:hurt"I'd like to show you my new 1year 2 million dollar incentive loaded contract. I just had to retire with the Sox after my guys got me my Bling last year."

Banix12
10-29-2005, 07:25 PM
I think Paulie will be back but if he does leave I have to think Dye moves to first and the sox make a run at someone like Brian Giles for the OF. There aren't any first basemen available on the FA list besides Konerko who I think the team is comfortable putting in the lineup on an everyday basis and the sox are far more likely to get a decent bat from the crop of Free agent OF or from their own OF in the minors.

Even by trade I don't see many viable everyday first basemen with decent power available. Overbay? Casey? Might as well start Ross Gload then because they are pretty much the same type of player.

asboog
10-29-2005, 07:41 PM
There are rumors of Carlos Delgado being trade what would we have to give up to get him? He probably has a huge contract though. Granted I want Paulie to resign.

MrRoboto83
10-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Guess it would be time to give Ross Gload his chance

OEO Magglio
10-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Tony Clark sucks.
Tony Clark had an awesome year and I do mean awesome. Anyways, if and when Pauly leaves I expect Lyle Overbay to be the first baseman and if not him maybe Chad Tracey or even Carlos Delgado is a possibility.

Tragg
10-29-2005, 08:36 PM

And a major loss of power, a key ingredient to this team.
I'm all for moving Anderson to RF; that lets Dye play right, first and DH - ie.e a great bench bat and player that we lacked this year.
If we lose PK, we need to replace him with a hitter.
Iguchi isn't good enough hitter for DH.
Overbay is nice player, if we find some power somewhere. I hate to see guys like him think they need to hit HRs, which we, based on this year, need to do.

Banix12
10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
There are rumors of Carlos Delgado being trade what would we have to give up to get him? He probably has a huge contract though. Granted I want Paulie to resign.

I think Delgado is on the block but I don't think he is coming here. He's got a backloaded contract and is owed a ton of money the next few years. The Marlins aren't usually in the business of eating large portions of salary and I don't see anybody on the white sox roster who they would want other than the pitchers. I also think the sox might shy away because of his history of political protest.

Also Defensively at 1st he probably isn't much better than Dye would be, though you could put him at DH I guess.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2005, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox work out a trade if Konerko leaves. Frank cannot play first base anymore except in emergency situations, and I'm not comfortable with Gload being out there every day. If Dye or Everett could play 1B, that would, to a certain extent, offset the loss of Konerko to free-agency. That said, I except the Sox to do absolutely everything they can to bring him back, and I think he will be here next season. Everything Konerko has said tells me that he wants to remain a part of this team and the Chicago community. I'd be shocked if he weren't around in 2006.

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Here's a name: Carlos Pena. Don't know his contract status but he hit the ball hard the entire serious at Detroit in September. He hasn't lived up to his billing as a future star. Maybe it's his time to take his game to another level. Great glove and left-handed hitter too.

Banix12
10-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Here's a name: Carlos Pena. Don't know his contract status but he hit the ball hard the entire serious at Detroit in September. He hasn't lived up to his billing as a future star. Maybe it's his time to take his game to another level. Great glove and left-handed hitter too.

No thanks, he's had every opprotunity to take his game to another level. I could see him getting a bit better outside comerica park and in the cell but I haven't been too impressed with him.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2005, 09:50 PM
No thanks, he's had every opprotunity to take his game to another level. I could see him getting a bit better outside comerica park and in the cell but I haven't been too impressed with him.

I agree. Pena is too much like Joe Borchard to be considered as a replacement for Paul Konerko.

Qdaddy
10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't remember reading anything about him signing a two year deal with Arizona in August. According to mlb.com, he's listed as a free agent. He always produced when given the at bats and he's a switch hitter. I sure hope we sign Paulie because here I am fighting for Tony Clark...Yikes!!

doublem23
10-29-2005, 10:31 PM
If Paul Konerko does not sign, it would not surprise me to see Lyle Overbay, Aubrey Huff, or at worst, Jim Thome in a Sox uniform come Opening Day '06. Without Konerko, we'd have a lot of money to work a deal and the depth of our farm system is very solid.

That said, I am still in the camp that expects Konerko to come back.

gf2020
10-29-2005, 11:14 PM
I also think the sox might shy away because of his history of political protest.

:everett: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)

"Hi, I am Carl Everett. Have we met?"

:jerry (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)

"And I'm Mahatma Gandhi..."

Deadguy
10-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I don't remember reading anything about him signing a two year deal with Arizona in August. According to mlb.com, he's listed as a free agent. He always produced when given the at bats and he's a switch hitter. I sure hope we sign Paulie because here I am fighting for Tony Clark...Yikes!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5513

Diamondbacks August 6: Signed first baseman Tony Clark to a two-year contract extension.

Chips
10-29-2005, 11:25 PM

And why is there a no cubs icon before this?

Chips
10-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Guess it would be time to give Ross Gload his chance

I would love to see Gload get his chance if we don't sign Konerko, but I think we will sign him. If Kenny knew Konerko would be gone after this season, I think Gload would have had more than 10 or so starts at first.

RedPinStripes
10-29-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm not too worried. i think Pauly will stay. If not, we have a great GM who can figure it out. He did Ok this year.

itsnotrequired
10-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Pretty much the only worthwhile post in this thread...