PDA

View Full Version : Winning The Hearts Of Others?

Caduceus
10-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey guys, I did a quick search but nothing came up so if this is a repeat sorry.

I have been listening to reports and reading all types of papers since the Sox won the world series (as I expect most of you have). My question is I've been hearing a lot about winning the hearts of other fans (such as cubs fans and well as others) and was wondering what you guys though of this? Do you think it's possible to fully win the hearts of other fans that have been loyal to a previous team? Or do you think they will jump teams because of the win?

I'm not really sure if I want Cubs fans (or others) to jump over and be Sox fans just because of the world series win. Our fan basis might be smaller but we have really loyal fans; when the Sox lose we hurt, when they win we are on cloud nine. I just don't want someone there because the Sox are the 'in team'. I want it to be real dedication like I see here on the board and from others fans that support the team.

jcw218
10-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I did a quick search but nothing came up so if this is a repeat sorry.

I have been listening to reports and reading all types of papers since the Sox won the world series (as I expect most of you have). My question is I've been hearing a lot about winning the hearts of other fans (such as cubs fans and well as others) and was wondering what you guys though of this? Do you think it's possible to fully win the hearts of other fans that have been loyal to a previous team? Or do you think they will jump teams because of the win?

I'm not really sure if I want Cubs fans (or others) to jump over and be Sox fans just because of the world series win. Our fan basis might be smaller but we have really loyal fans; when the Sox lose we hurt, when they win we are on cloud nine. I just don't want someone there because the Sox are the 'in team'. I want it to be real dedication like I see here on the board and from others fans that support the team.

Yes, I think that it is possible to win the respect of other teams fans if not their hearts. If winning the world series is the impetus for this good, let them come. If the White Sox continue to field a good competitive team, then the fan base will continue to grow. These "bandwagon" fans of today will become tomorrows die-hards. That was mentioned before on these boards, but I forget by whom.

Here is the quote that I was referring to from this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61286).

Bingo. Think of how many of the younger people on WSI chose the Sox because of Frank Thomas.

Today's bandwagon fan = tomorrow's die-hard fan...

antitwins13
10-29-2005, 06:03 PM

I totally agree with this. I don't want a bunch of Cub fans jumping on the bandwagon unless they are fully committed to staying with the Sox. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of Cub fans throwing Jaque Jones' homerun balls back on to the outfield at the Cell.

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 06:07 PM
I never thought I'd do this but I'll come to the aid of true cubs fans. They're not changing allegiances anymore than we would change if they [heaven help us] ever won the World Series. The people who might show up are bandwagon-jumping yuppie transplants who owe no loyalty to the cubs or White Sox. If they show up in droves, the silver lining is they'll bring more revenue to - I hope - allow KW to take our franchise to a level competitive annually with Bos and NY. Remember, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!!!! :bandance: :gulp: :) :smile: I'm so happy!!

Caduceus
10-30-2005, 03:05 PM
I see where you guys are coming from and I do agree. I know even if the Cubs won the World Series I wouldn't jump to their side so why expect their die hard fans to be any different. But it's those that have loyality towards either team that worries me. I would really hate to see the stadium packed with all these band-wagon jumpers come over. Granted it might help the stadium out revenue wise but what happens if, the Sox get into a rough spot and we lose all that revenue? I guess some revenue is better then none but wouldn't you consider if that were to happen a big hit to the park?

itsnotrequired
10-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Tribune talks about this very issue in today's paper.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0510300286oct30,1,505894.story?coll=chi-news-hed