PDA

View Full Version : Which members of the '05 team will end up on the outfield wall someday?

Sly
10-29-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm saying Guillen, Thomas and Konerko for sure with Buehrle having a pretty good shot. Dark horses being Crede and Garland but they'll need to stick with the team for quite some time ...

Fuller_Schettman
10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I would add Garland, McCarthy and Uribe

doublem23
10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Thomas is already a done deal, that's for sure. Guillen is on his way now, as is Buehrle and Konerko, but all three need to hang around a little longer and keep up their current career paths.

Personally, I would like to see the Sox put the retired numbers somewhere else and put a "championship photo mosiac" on the wall next year. ****in' put 2005 WORLD CHAMPS in every inch of the ballpark you can fit it in. Maybe the Sodfather can mow that in the outfield and rake it in the infield.

hose
10-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Ozzie, Hurt and Burls

WhiteSox16K
10-29-2005, 03:54 PM
At first, it seemed weird to suggest that a good number of players (from one team/time period) could have their numbers retired. But after looking and seeing that with the exception of Baines and Fisk, the past players with retired numbers all seemed to play sometime in the 50's, I've changed my mind. Thomas is a lock, and Guillen (with a few more successful years at the helm) is not far behind. At this point though, everyone else is relitively too young to have an opinion on because freak things do tend to happen a lot in sports. I am very positive though, that there WILL be others from this 2005 World Championship that will have their numbers retired by the Sox.

Sly
10-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm curious why you don't think Guillen is a lock as it stands right now? He was a rookie of the year, played most of his career at Comiskey and managed the first World Series team in 88 years ... He's the face of the White Sox in America right now ..

mdep524
10-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Thomas is already a done deal, that's for sure. Guillen is on his way now, as is Buehrle and Konerko, but all three need to hang around a little longer and keep up their current career paths.

Personally, I would like to see the Sox put the retired numbers somewhere else and put a "championship photo mosiac" on the wall next year. ****in' put 2005 WORLD CHAMPS in every inch of the ballpark you can fit it in. Maybe the Sodfather can mow that in the outfield and rake it in the infield. That reminds me of a thought I had a while ago: I hope the Sox get new championship flags for the outfield next year. First of all, I may be wrong, but wasn't the "1906 World Champions" flag completely absent from the park this year? 1906, 1917 and 2005 should have large, beautiful and prominently featured flags in the outfield, not the cheap afterthoughts that are flying out there now. The various Division and League Championship flags could be spruced up as well.

Domeshot17
10-29-2005, 04:12 PM
My Dark Horse: Jermaine Dye

World Series MVP

how long has it been since we have had one those lol

doublem23
10-29-2005, 04:13 PM
The 1906 flag was missing this year because the pole it used to fly on was taken down for Fundamentals and no one ever found time to re-fly it.

WhiteSox16K
10-29-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm curious why you don't think Guillen is a lock as it stands right now? He was a rookie of the year, played most of his career at Comiskey and managed the first World Series team in 88 years ... He's the face of the White Sox in America right now ..

Guillen probably is also a lock, but things can turn on a manager very quickly and he has a lot of time (as a manager) ahead of him. He does deserve it and probably will gain his recognition, but he'd be the first as a player and manager to have his number retired, so I don't have any idea how his accomplishments would be rated or ranked in terms of THIS honor.

anewman35
10-29-2005, 04:22 PM
That reminds me of a thought I had a while ago: I hope the Sox get new championship flags for the outfield next year. First of all, I may be wrong, but wasn't the "1906 World Champions" flag completely absent from the park this year? 1906, 1917 and 2005 should have large, beautiful and prominently featured flags in the outfield, not the cheap afterthoughts that are flying out there now. The various Division and League Championship flags could be spruced up as well.

I was thinking the same thing. For once, we have a flag that's actually something to be proud of (and not just a sign of how long we sucked), let's make it as obvious as possible.

Orta 4-6-3
10-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Ozzie, Hurt and Burls

What he said.:supernana:

TheOldRoman
10-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I agree with everything you said. It is debatable whether or not Ozzie deserved his number retired for his feats in a Sox uniform during his playing career (probably not), but there is NO DOUBT right now. He brought the franchise it's first championship in 88 years. He is the image of White Sox baseball right now. I see great things in Ozzie's future, but that doesn't matter. He deserves that honor for what he did this year alone. Fit him for his ring, retire his number, and have him pose for his statue right now.

As for other future retired numbers, obviously Frank will get the honor. Buehrle is on the fast track. Crede and Konerko could if they stay long enough. Also, I am a big fan of Uribe. I think he has all the talent in the world, and I would not be shocked one bit if he wins several gold gloves and finishes with a career average over .300. Obviously he has a lot of progess to make, but I think he has the capability. I think #5 may be on that wall some day.

TDog
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
My Dark Horse: Jermaine Dye

World Series MVP

how long has it been since we have had one those lol

The previous times the White Sox won the World Series, there weren't numbers on the uniforms.

antitwins13
10-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, and Ozzie. Konerko, but only if he stays.

tebman
10-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Man Soo Lee

Theanticub
10-29-2005, 06:26 PM
If and this is a big IF Konerko gets a 5 yr or 6 year deal...He could EASILY tip-toe his way to the wall.

1951Campbell
10-29-2005, 10:51 PM

I'd agree.

Although, sadly, Buehrle is young yet. That's my only caveat to that post.

lumpyspun
10-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I just hope that in the future the Sox wait until the person retires from baseball, not just from the team. I thought it was kind of cheesy that they retired Baines' number while he was still playing...

1951Campbell
10-29-2005, 11:55 PM
I just hope that in the future the Sox wait until the person retires from baseball, not just from the team. I thought it was kind of cheesy that they retired Baines' number while he was still playing...

But seriously...was there any way they weren't gonna retire Baines' number?

itsnotrequired
10-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I'd agree.

Although, sadly, Buehrle is young yet. That's my only caveat to that post.

A voice of reason. Thomas and Guillen are locks right now. No one else. MB and Konerko could be contenders but they need to put in a good 5+ years more each to be considered. MB could bolt after the 2006 season. Konerko could be gone next year. Would they deserve a spot on the wall? Hell no...

SOXintheBURGH
10-29-2005, 11:59 PM
A voice of reason. Thomas and Guillen are locks right now. No one else. MB and Konerko could be contenders but they need to put in a good 5+ years more each to be considered. MB could bolt after the 2006 season. Konerko could be gone next year. Would they deserve a spot on the wall? Hell no...

My thoughts exactly.

Same reason Kittle isn't up there.. He was a great, amazing young player for us, and a local boy.. but for how long?

Chips
10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Same reason Kittle isn't up there.. He was a great, amazing young player for us, and a local boy.. but for how long?

#42 is up on that wall. :cool:

Daver
10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Man Soo Lee

I am going to order a black authentic jersey with the WS05 patch on it.

Number 59, the name on the back will be MAN SOO LEE.

Chips
10-30-2005, 12:04 AM

Personally, I would like to see the Sox put the retired numbers somewhere else and put a "championship photo mosiac" on the wall next year. ****in' put 2005 WORLD CHAMPS in every inch of the ballpark you can fit it in. Maybe the Sodfather can mow that in the outfield and rake it in the infield.

I think the retired number would look good hanging from the overhang of the upper deck. They can also put signs for the championship, division winning seasons up there.

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 12:05 AM
#42 is up on that wall. :cool:

In theory, in theory. In theory, Communism works. In theory.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2005, 12:07 AM

I completely agree. It isn't that Konerko and Buehrle aren't great ballplayers, but that they have lots of playing time left in their careers. It's an open question whether they'll spend those seasons playing for the Sox.

Meanwhile Thomas and Guillen are Sox hall-of-famers based solely on what they've already accomplished.

Ozzie has been getting love at WSI (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/HallofFame/GuillenOzzie.htm) for a long time. Frank, too. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/HallofFame/ThomasFrank.htm)
:wink:

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 12:08 AM

Once a catcher, always a catcher :D:

Hurt is in, Ozzie is in.

Mark could be if he stays here. He has the potential to win over 200 games.

1951Campbell
10-30-2005, 12:11 AM
MB and Konerko could be contenders but they need to put in a good 5+ years more each to be considered. MB could bolt after the 2006 season. Konerko could be gone next year. Would they deserve a spot on the wall? Hell no...

Yeah, taking away sentimentality...MB is young, and can bolt. Paulie had soem years behind him before he got here, and can still leave himself.

Frank and Ozzie, however...their only question is "bronze or marble"?

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Frank and Ozzie, however...their only question is "bronze or marble"?

:gulp:

POTW.

Hitmen77
11-03-2005, 10:40 AM
- Frank's definitely a lock to have his # retired.

- Ozzie is pretty close to a lock: It's his combined playing career PLUS his managing the team to a world title that does it. His playing career alone, IMO, doesn't warrant his # being retired. Likewise, if he was someone who had no history with the Sox and managed us to the title this year, I wouldn't consider him a lock for having his # retired.

- For any other Sox player (Konerko, Buehrle), it's still too soon to know. This honor should only go to players who have long and distinguished careers with the Sox. Playing great for the Sox for 5 years and then bolting as a free agent is not good enough. For example, would anyone here suggest we retire Magg's number?

- Kittle doesn't deserve it even though he was and is a fan favorite. If you give it to him, then you should retire Bill Melton's and Robin Ventura's # too.

- Funny someone should mention #42. It was not only Kittle's number, but also Al Lopez's number. Since this number is already retired league-wide, the Sox could honor Al Lopez without even "using up" another available jersey number.

SOXPHILE
11-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I think I would like to see some type of TEAM photo on the wall, as opposed to any individual. That was one of the mantras they kept repeating this year. No one player was the superstar. It was a team effort. (Thomas is a lock anyway).

soxfanreggie
11-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Thomas...lock and has been for a few years.

Ozzie...good solid player, but his job as a manager will likely cement him

Burls...throw in more seasons like he usually does...and for sure he will.

Konerko, he will have to play here for a while.

Retiring jerseys is something that is very special. However, look at the Yankees...they have so many numbers retired...what happens many years down the road...triple digits?

mjmcend
11-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Retiring jerseys is something that is very special. However, look at the Yankees...they have so many numbers retired...what happens many years down the road...triple digits?

Fractions

VenturaSoxFan23
11-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm saying Guillen, Thomas and Konerko for sure with Buehrle having a pretty good shot. Dark horses being Crede and Garland but they'll need to stick with the team for quite some time ...

At his current pace, Aaron Rowand will end up as part of the outfield wall without having the number retired. :cool:

mweflen
11-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Ozzie, Hurt and Burls

ding ding ding!

Maybe Konerko too if he inks an extension.

The Dude
11-03-2005, 11:43 AM

And eventually, he will also get a statue at the cell as well. No doubt about it. The only way this doesnt happen is if he really burns bridges with JR/KW that cant be repaired. I highly doubt that will happen.

skottyj242
11-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Frank and Ozzie are the only locks I see. I hope Frank gets a statue too. What about Kenny Williams? I was at the Bulls game last night and they have a Jerry Krause banner flying, why not Kenny?

Deuce
11-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Though I hate retiring numbers, there is only one person outside of Frank Thomas that I think deserves the honor...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/pressbox/photos/headshots_players_coaches/112653_90x135.jpg

You da man, Coop. You da man.

IlliniSox4Life
11-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Currently, Frank and Ozzie are guaranteed locks in my mind. They could do just about anything with the rest of their time and make it to the wall. I don't think if we had a different manager come and take us to the WS that they'd be on the wall, but when you couple Ozzie's career with the team with this WS win, he's up there.

I also think if Pods sticks around for a few years and manages to keep stealing bases, he could end up there if he has 5-6 years as a really productive lead off hitter that is the spark for 2-3 world series teams. I'd say put his picture up now if they put a picture of his wife next to him.

Procol Harum
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM

I'm gettin' an authentic jersey emblazoned with 01, "Southpaw"...

4th Gen. Sox Fan
11-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Thomas' #35 is the only one I see making the wall one day

Sarah
11-04-2005, 12:45 AM
At his current pace, Aaron Rowand will end up as part of the outfield wall without having the number retired. :cool:

Nice.

Definitely Frank. Definitely Ozzie.

As someone who grew up watching Ozzie, I would have considered him for the wall pre-managerial days. Ozzie, his hard-playing ways and his obvious love for the game have always had a soft spot in my heart (and I know that I am not the only White Sox fan who feels this way).

Post-World Series, I do not think that there is any question as to Ozzie's place on the wall. He played virtually his entire career here, as one of the stars of a team that was much better than it typically gets credit for (if you're my age, you remember the days of Ozzie, Frank, and Ventura as great days to be Sox fans - not as great as now, but I still (even post-WS) sometimes find myself thinking that 1994 would have been our year but for the strike...)

I think that perhaps the real question that should be considered here is: how many more championships before we see Ozzie onstage in Cooperstown?

As a side note, I would be curious to hear any thoughts as to non-current team members that might find themselves on the wall someday, or should be on the wall.

-Sarah-

SOXfnNlansing
11-04-2005, 04:34 AM
13, 35, and dark horse 22. Pods can go down in history as our Ricky Henderson if he plays like he has been for the next 10 years and 4 championships. He could be regarded as the major reason (besides pitching) that the Chicago White Sox went from an obscure MLB team to the 1st powerhouse team of the 2nd Century of baseball.

Max Power
11-04-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm almost positive that it said "2000 AL Central Division Champions" on the outfield wall (in left center?) during the 2001 season. So I think it would be cool to have something on the wall next season for the World Championship team, in addition to the flag obviously.

Thomas and Guillen are locks for the wall IMO. Buehrle and Konerko have a very good chance if they stick around. Crede, Rowand, Uribe & Garland could happen eventually if they stay with the Sox.

skobabe8
11-04-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm almost positive that it said "2000 AL Central Division Champions" on the outfield wall (in left center?) during the 2001 season. So I think it would be cool to have something on the wall next season for the World Championship team, in addition to the flag obviously.

You are correct.

I'm sure there are better pictures, but I found this one right away. You can see it on the very left side of the pic on the outfield wall.

http://www.geocities.com/murad2/comiskey.jpg

The place looks weird, doesnt it? :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
You are correct.

I'm sure there are better pictures, but I found this one right away. You can see it on the very left side of the pic on the outfield wall.

It looks like a COMPLETELY different ballpark! Over the summer, I was watching my tape of t.v. coverage from when they won the division in 1993 and I couldn't believe how different Comiskey Park looked! When looking at this picture, you can most definitely see how much of an improvement ALL phases of the renovation have made! :smile:

lostletters
11-04-2005, 03:38 PM

I think Garland has a chance if he becomes as consistant and Buehrle and sticks around. Garland/Buehrle is already becoming recognized as having the potential to be one of the most dominant pitching duos in baseball history.

To be honest I think all four of the playoff starting pitchers have a chance if they consistantly perform like they did this year for the next three years.

Thomas, Ozzie, and Buehrle though are a lock no matter what.

jerry myers
11-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Ozzie and frank already

Hitmen77
11-04-2005, 06:10 PM
It looks like a COMPLETELY different ballpark! Over the summer, I was watching my tape of t.v. coverage from when they won the division in 1993 and I couldn't believe how different Comiskey Park looked! When looking at this picture, you can most definitely see how much of an improvement ALL phases of the renovation have made! :smile:

I agree. Wow - what a difference!

A. Cavatica
11-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Rowand.

But only because they won't be able to scrape him off after a difficult catch.

TheOldRoman
11-04-2005, 08:11 PM
You are correct.

Oh my lord! I almost forgot how garish the park was in it's old color scheme. This isn't even the worst. For the first 7 or so years of its existence, the batter's eye was light blue, also. IT looks more like a carnival than a ballpark. It was still a great place to watch a game, but it is easy to see why the park was so critiqued for being steril and ugly.
Pictures like that make you realize how great of a job they have done one the renovations.

mccombe_35
11-05-2005, 01:35 AM
at least the backdrop was black in that pic. IIRC It was blue until Albert Belle complained about the glare in '97.

what up girl? :hug:

CleeFan101
11-05-2005, 03:40 AM
I think Garland has a chance if he becomes as consistant and Buehrle and sticks around. Garland/Buehrle is already becoming recognized as having the potential to be one of the most dominant pitching duos in baseball history.

To be honest I think all four of the playoff starting pitchers have a chance if they consistantly perform like they did this year for the next three years.

Thomas, Ozzie, and Buehrle though are a lock no matter what.

Wow lay off the Kool Aid......

Obviously like its been said many times Thomas is a lock and it isnt a lock but I bet Ozzie will make his way up there too. I doubt Konerko does even if he does stay and Uribe/Crede have little to no chance.

Buehrle is really the only person who has a solid chance of make it but he would have to spend most if not all his career as a Sox and win 200+ games prob.

nccwsfan
11-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, and Ozzie Guillen

soxfanreggie
11-05-2005, 04:38 AM
All 4 starters...heck no!

VenturaSoxFan23
11-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Rowand.

But only because they won't be able to scrape him off after a difficult catch.

Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks this way. :cool:

Hitmen77
11-05-2005, 11:56 AM

I don't mean to change thread subjects, but I'd be interested in seeing a series of 'before and after' pictures of the park. The shot above, the upper deck, the scout seats area, the old "moat" between the fence and stands, the old saucer-top look from the outside of the park vs. the new ironwork look, etc.

ChiSoxGirl
11-05-2005, 02:36 PM
what up girl? :hug:

I'm assuming that's for me??

mattcoz
11-07-2005, 10:56 AM
At his current pace, Aaron Rowand will end up as part of the outfield wall without having the number retired. :cool::rolling:

WestSox
11-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Ozzie and frank already

Agreed. I understand the argument that Ozzie was a good-but-not-great player and has only managed two seasons, but he was the main reason that they won the WS this year. He got more out of a group of decent-but-not-stellar players (Crede, Pods, Pierzynski, etc.) than I thought possible.

Frank's a no-brainer. If Harold isn't already up there, he will be soon.

Foulke You
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I think the retired number would look good hanging from the overhang of the upper deck. They can also put signs for the championship, division winning seasons up there.
I would like to see large engraved flat metal flags of our championships, including 2005 hanging on the outfield gridwork above the billboards. If they make the flags large enough, these would be highly visible. You could also still have the regular flags flying in the outfield.

kitekrazy
11-07-2005, 01:51 PM
It should be guys who spent practically their whole career with the team.That's an oddity today with any team.