PDA

View Full Version : 2006 White Sox

bobowhite
10-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Who will go and who will stay? My odds:

1:1 Iguchi, Uribe, Dye, Podsednik, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Jenks, McCarthy
(all are too valuable and/or under too good of a contract)

5:4 Contreras, Cotts, Marte, Widger, Anderson, Crede, Thomas, Ozuna, Vizcaino (all have some reason they could depart)

3:2 Konerko, Rowand, Gload, Blum
(all have good reasons they could depart)

2:1 Everett, Perez, Hermanson
(solid reasons and probably more valuable elsewhere)

4:1 Harris, Borchard, Hernandez
(real departure likelihood)

Palehose13
10-29-2005, 01:51 PM
IIRC, Konerko, Ozuna, Widger, and Politte are the only FA's. Carl and Frank have team options/buyouts. The only way anyone else leaves would be via trade.

MrKinsella
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't see why Contreras or Crede would go. The Cuban Ace has one year left on his contract I believe and with all the sucess he fould here I see no reason why he would leave.

As far as Crede I think he is still an arbitration guy so we should have him locked up as long as we are willing to pay what they tell us.

The guy I think will go is Garland whose trade value will be up so we can get a slugger, while maintaining are staff with McCarthy and a free agent pitcher. The reason I assume we will go after pitching in free agency instead of a bat, excluding Konerko or Overbay, is that hitters are going to be way overpriced in comparison to pitching. With that being said our most important spot to fill on the field, again barring Konerko leaving, is DH and I think both San Fran, Cini, and the Dbacks would be interested in basing a deal around Garland for Griffey, Bonds, and Gonzo respectivly. I don't mean Bonds straight up, because thats ludicrious but definately for a mix of guys since he can't play the field. In the same sense I think we would need to get more out of the Gonzo deal, like Chad Tracy if Konerko goes south. Just some thoughts.

michned
10-29-2005, 02:03 PM
With Brian Anderson seemingly ready for a shot, you would have to think they would entertain offers for Rowand. With the World Series and before that, the Yankees series in August where he was all over the field, Rowands's value will probably never be higher. Remember, buy low, sell high.

BRDSR
10-29-2005, 02:23 PM
With Brian Anderson seemingly ready for a shot, you would have to think they would entertain offers for Rowand. With the World Series and before that, the Yankees series in August where he was all over the field, Rowands's value will probably never be higher. Remember, buy low, sell high.

I do see the wisdom in trading one of four quality outfielders, but...why one of the proven ones? Why not Anderson. The way the game is played today, there will be small to mid market franchises willing to part with potentially expensive and already talented players for potentially talented but inexpensive players. When you're in the position of the White Sox(good team, rising salary, etc.) I don't understand the wisdom of trading the proven players. Of course, it all depends on what people offer for Rowand and what they offer for Anderson. But I don't think trading Rowand is a given.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
I don't see why Contreras or Crede would go. The Cuban Ace has one year left on his contract I believe and with all the sucess he fould here I see no reason why he would leave.

As far as Crede I think he is still an arbitration guy so we should have him locked up as long as we are willing to pay what they tell us.

The guy I think will go is Garland whose trade value will be up so we can get a slugger, while maintaining are staff with McCarthy and a free agent pitcher. The reason I assume we will go after pitching in free agency instead of a bat, excluding Konerko or Overbay, is that hitters are going to be way overpriced in comparison to pitching. With that being said our most important spot to fill on the field, again barring Konerko leaving, is DH and I think both San Fran, Cini, and the Dbacks would be interested in basing a deal around Garland for Griffey, Bonds, and Gonzo respectivly. I don't mean Bonds straight up, because thats ludicrious but definately for a mix of guys since he can't play the field. In the same sense I think we would need to get more out of the Gonzo deal, like Chad Tracy if Konerko goes south. Just some thoughts.Has something heavy fallen on your head recently?

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 02:34 PM

Your line of thinking will get you a job with the Twins in the not-too-distant future. :D:

Tragg
10-29-2005, 02:36 PM
The guy I think will go is Garland whose trade value will be up so we can get a slugger, while maintaining are staff with McCarthy and a free agent pitcher....I think both San Fran, Cini, and the Dbacks would be interested in basing a deal around Garland for Griffey, Bonds, and Gonzo respectivly. I don't mean Bonds straight up, because thats ludicrious but definately for a mix of guys since he can't play the field. In the same sense I think we would need to get more out of the Gonzo deal...

More than just Gonzo for Garland? Ya think?

I wouldn't trade Garland for ANY of those 3 straight up. All 3 are well past their prime and at least the contracts for Bonds and Griffey are ridiculously high and their health is ridiculously tepid.

Don't mess with our starting pitching. For the first time since whenever, perhaps ever, we have 5 outstanding starters, and a 6th who could do a great job in the pen (although his salary is a little much for set-up duty). We can find a hitter - perhaps trade an outfielder )or one of our career year relievers), which would also accomplish the desireable goal of allowing our minor league pipeline to open up.

KRS1
10-29-2005, 02:42 PM

The guy I think will go is Garland whose trade value will be up so we can get a slugger, while maintaining are staff with McCarthy and a free agent pitcher. The reason I assume we will go after pitching in free agency instead of a bat, excluding Konerko or Overbay, is that hitters are going to be way overpriced in comparison to pitching. With that being said our most important spot to fill on the field, again barring Konerko leaving, is DH and I think both San Fran, Cini, and the Dbacks would be interested in basing a deal around Garland for Griffey, Bonds, and Gonzo respectivly. I don't mean Bonds straight up, because thats ludicrious but definately for a mix of guys since he can't play the field. In the same sense I think we would need to get more out of the Gonzo deal, like Chad Tracy if Konerko goes south. Just some thoughts.

Umm. Did u see the huge contracts that mediocre pitchers like pavano and benson signed last year?

KRS1
10-29-2005, 02:48 PM
More than just Gonzo for Garland? Ya think?

I wouldn't trade Garland for ANY of those 3 straight up. All 3 are well past their prime and at least the contracts for Bonds and Griffey are ridiculously high and their health is ridiculously tepid.

Don't mess with our starting pitching. For the first time since whenever, perhaps ever, we have 5 outstanding starters, and a 6th who could do a great job in the pen (although his salary is a little much for set-up duty). We can find a hitter - perhaps trade an outfielder )or one of our career year relievers), which would also accomplish the desireable goal of allowing our minor league pipeline to open up.

1.Gonzo sucks, he is worthless in any trade we would make. I would rather see LTP, as well as many others be our DH or whatever it is u see him as.
2.Garland will hopefully sign a big arb. contract with us making it dumb to move him and also impossible for half a season.
3.Bonds is a great hitter, but why would we want his bloated contract when we r scrapping together a big one for Paulie. Also I would never want barry on our team even if it meant winning back-to-back-to-back.

U couldnt be more right here my friend.

Joosh
10-29-2005, 03:42 PM
I can't see either Garland or Contreras leaving. However, I could see Hernandez leaving, possibly to the Yankees, Boston, or another High-Payroll team looking for pitching. I believe that McCarthy is ready to go, and could take over the five spot in the rotation well.

The bullpen appears very solid, but its not a bad thing to improve a good thing. Jenks will probably be our closer next year, but if Hermanson can't go at the beginning of the year, we'll need to look towards FA.

Otherwise, with the exception of adding a lefty bad to the bench with Everett most likely leaving, I can't see anything else to improve the team.

Oh wait, yes I can. SIGN PAULIE AND THOMAS!

doublem23
10-29-2005, 03:53 PM
It's too early to start worrying about this... Enjoy the celebration and let Kenny Williams do his job.

IMO, the make-up of the 2006 White Sox is going to depend on these five factors:
(1) Will Paul Konerko come back, and if he does, how much will he be making next year?
(2) How much of a raise will Crede and Garland get, who are both up for arbitration and likely to get the biggest boosts in salary.
(3) Can the Sox get another team to take Orlando Hernandez and how much of his $4.5 million salary can they unload?
(4) Likely the Sox are going to buy out Frank and Carl's deals; will they be able to bring them back and at what cost?
(5) How much more money is Jerry Reinsdorf willing to invest in this team?

Fuller_Schettman
10-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Unless you are Billy Beane-head, you never let go of quality starters. EVERYBODY wants them and we have everything we need in terms of pitching. If we are going to move players, it has to be prospects.

hose
10-29-2005, 04:03 PM
I would leave our pitching alone over the winter. I like our starters and would move McCarthy into the #5 spot and El Duque to the pen. I assume that Hermanson will be healthy next year and I want Marte back . Viz could possibly be moved in a trade.

If Paulie is re-signed I could see Rowand being moved in a trade. Brian Anderson is waiting in the wings and is an excellent fielder.

I would like to see Widger come back, but if he wants to hang them up then the back up catcher's position has to be addressed.

I think Carl is as good as gone and the Big Hurt will be brought back in. If Frank's foot can't hold up then Kenny will probably have to over pay for another stick.

CHEESESOXER
10-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I think "me only bonds" would destroy the good mix of personalities of the team and Ozzie wouldn't put up with his egotistical crap.

I'd vomit if he came here.

MrKinsella
10-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Griffey, Bonds, and Gonzo respectivly

Something heav must have fallen on my head because I meant or.

Listen I understand everyone here would much rather have Konerko and Garland then any of these guys, but lets face it their are certain contractual issues that are going to make signing him tough. Some of you might laugh at this but another slugger who is going to cost the same as Konerko is Hideki Matsui. Who doesn't think our buisness savey owner doesn't like the idea of major Japanese money for a lineup that features Iguchi and Matsui back to back. Just a thought for conversation.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Something heav must have fallen on my head because I meant or.

Listen I understand everyone here would much rather have Konerko and Garland then any of these guys, but lets face it their are certain contractual issues that are going to make signing him tough. Some of you might laugh at this but another slugger who is going to cost the same as Konerko is Hideki Matsui. Who doesn't think our buisness savey owner doesn't like the idea of major Japanese money for a lineup that features Iguchi and Matsui back to back. Just a thought for conversation.How about none of the above? Especially Barroid. I'd rather have Joe Borchard.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

bobowhite
10-29-2005, 06:42 PM
IIRC, Konerko, Ozuna, Widger, and Politte are the only FA's. Carl and Frank have team options/buyouts. The only way anyone else leaves would be via trade.

Well, you don't recall correctly. Blum is also an FA, Harris or Borchard have finished their final minor years. They now have to either be on the major league club all year or they can be claimed off waivers. Perez is in a different category, but I believe he can depart freely. AJ, Crede and Garland are all eligible for arbitration. They will recieve a hearing, can sign before then or can refuse the arbitration and be declared FAs.

Rowand is clearly the highest trade value guy right now. El Duque is not far behind but has too large of a contract to handle easily.

Bucky F. Dent
10-29-2005, 07:01 PM
In terms of pitching, I'm thinking that El Duque, Marte, and Hermanson are gone and replaced by McCarthy, FA acquisition Scott Eyre, and ?????.

ChiSox14305635
10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Call me optimistic, but I think Cotts will stick around.

MrKinsella
10-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry what is the big problem with signing Bonds. The guy is only the greatest baseball player of all times. Yes you can say he did steroids, which has not been proven by the way, but even if he did that is not cheating when no policy is in place. I know steroids are a polorizing issue fo most people so it might be impossible to change your mind, but lets face it even Babe Ruth has a corked bat sitting in the hall of fame right now and you would think that guy invented the rules the way people talk. Also its not like this is a franchise that never had steroid users on it we had Jose Conseco. On top of all that Bonds must be clean right now because Major leauge baseball has to have tested him. The worst thing about Bonds is his personallity which is an issue but so was FrankThomas's and a lot of people, myself included still love that guy for the way he once played. Again I'd rather we kept who we have, but it seems like their is some off season shake up in the mix.

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 09:28 PM
"Barry Bonds is the greatest player of all times." Wow. Has he ever pitched 24 consecutive scoreless innings in the World Series? Babe Ruth did. Has he ever won 20 games in a season as a pitcher? Babe Ruth did. I hate Barry Bonds for the absurd remarks he made about Babe Ruth. I've met Ron Kittle and he emphatically stated that Bonds told him "I don't sign for white people." Finally, lest we forget why we are to expect "Barry to come into spring training 25 pounds lighter next year." Gimme a break. If Palmeiro is denied entry into the HOF because of 'roids, so should Bonds. I too would vomit with him on the Sox. :angry:

Crede_Fan
10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
:angry: Bonds :angry:

Palehose13
10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Well, you don't recall correctly. Blum is also an FA, Harris or Borchard have finished their final minor years. They now have to either be on the major league club all year or they can be claimed off waivers. Perez is in a different category, but I believe he can depart freely. AJ, Crede and Garland are all eligible for arbitration. They will recieve a hearing, can sign before then or can refuse the arbitration and be declared FAs.

Rowand is clearly the highest trade value guy right now. El Duque is not far behind but has too large of a contract to handle easily.

I said Free Agents. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

getonbckthr
10-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I can't see either Garland or Contreras leaving. However, I could see Hernandez leaving, possibly to the Yankees, Boston, or another High-Payroll team looking for pitching. I believe that McCarthy is ready to go, and could take over the five spot in the rotation well.

The bullpen appears very solid, but its not a bad thing to improve a good thing. Jenks will probably be our closer next year, but if Hermanson can't go at the beginning of the year, we'll need to look towards FA.

Otherwise, with the exception of adding a lefty bad to the bench with Everett most likely leaving, I can't see anything else to improve the team.

Oh wait, yes I can. SIGN PAULIE AND THOMAS!

duque,carl and rowand for sheffield. gives ny a SP,CF and carl. resign paulie.
1) podz-cf,
2)gooch-2b,
3)sheff-dh,
4)paulie-1b,
5)dye-rf,
6)aj-c,
7)crede-3b,
8)anderson-lf,
9) uribe-ss

Chips
10-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Barry Bonds will never wear a White Sox unform, unless he is dressing up as a winner for Halloween.

OEO Magglio
10-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Cliff has an option that will be picked up so he's not going anywhere.

Palehose13
10-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Cliff has an option that will be picked up so he's not going anywhere.

Cool!

OEO Magglio
10-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Call me optimistic, but I think Cotts will stick around.
Neal isn't going anywhere.

OEO Magglio
10-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Cool!
:smile:

1951Campbell
10-30-2005, 12:53 AM
?
(5) How much more money is Jerry Reinsdorf willing to invest in this team?

If this be pissing away money, then make the most of it.

BRDSR
10-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Barry Bonds will never wear a White Sox unform, unless he is dressing up as a winner for Halloween.

Ha, thats good. When people ask what he's going as, he can say "Someone who has won a World Series."

graham5
10-30-2005, 04:13 AM
I think we've got to bring McCarthy into the rotation this year, which means we have to move El Duque. Whilst I love him, he's the odd man out in the rotation, and I don't think we can justify moving him to the 'pen.

I tend to agree with the idea of seeing what we can get for Rowand, too. He's had a good postseason in the field and his value will never be higher (imo).

Disclaimer: Before the playoffs I predicted that Jenks would be a playoff bust - shows how much I know about baseball!

fox2
10-30-2005, 07:28 AM
I still haven't come down yet, so it's way to early to start worrying about next year, but a few things that happened at the end of the year make me think that next year will be another very interesting one.
1. Jose Contreras - finally learned how to pitch
2. Brandon McCarthy - those two games against Texas & Minnesota/Santana were inspiring. It's like the rest of the team finally woke up and said, if this kid won't give up, neither will we.
3. Bobby Jenks - need I say more
4. If 2005 was a breakout year for Jon Garland, maybe Sept. & Oct. were breakout months for Joe Crede, and next year he'll finally be the .295 BA, clutch hitting gold-glover we all hoped he would be.
5. Juan Uribe actually drew 2 bases on balls in the ALCS and 3 walks in 4 games in the WS. If he learns to stop swinging at everything in sight he could develop into a very dangerous hitter.
And, please God, one more prayer. Please, somehow, let us see Frank and Paulie batting 3 & 4 for the Sox next year!