PDA

View Full Version : Paulie's agent starts the bidding

Fenway
10-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Konerko’s agent: Boston ‘a good fit’ (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=109394)
By Michael Silverman/ Red Sox Notebook
http://news.bostonherald.com/images//konerkostp10292005.jpg
This early in the hot stove season, when an agent says his free agent client is interested in playing for Team X, there is a shooting-fish-in-a-barrel... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=109394)]

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Of course - let the games begin. :rolleyes:

http://www.cookctyclerk.com/images/pics/home_psa.jpg

PK's Agent: "Boston's a good fit, Paul loves the weather in Anaheim, he always enjoyed New York whenever they played there, Seattle is a great place for raising a family - hell, Detroit isn't the worst place in the world..."

SOXintheBURGH
10-29-2005, 12:11 PM

http://www.cookctyclerk.com/images/pics/home_psa.jpg

PK's Agent: "Boston's a good fit, Paul loves the weather in Anaheim, he always enjoyed New York whenever they played there, Seattle is a great place for raising a family - hell, Detroit isn't the worst place in the world..."

:walnuts
"They say its a 'dry heat' in Phoenix, and you can't go wrong with that short stop."

jabrch
10-29-2005, 12:18 PM

Exactly...for a while, this is what we are going to have to listen to. Look - if PK decides he wants to play elsewhere for more money, buh bye. Thanks for the memories. Thanks for 2005. But if you want X$ and KW decides that would cripple this team down the road, then I have no problem waiving goodbye and seeing that money spent on other things. If PK likes Chicago, likes this team, and wants to be a part of what we have going on here for a while to come, then he can probably find a price that works for KW, works for JR and works for the Konerko family. 4/48, GUARANTEED, is a livable wage, and that was the Sox FIRST reported offer. This isn't football where an injury can end your career and you get nothing - these are guaranteed deals.

I hope PK stays - but not at the expense of 20% of this team's payroll.

Fenway
10-29-2005, 12:26 PM

Even Tampa looks good if the $$$$ is there ( well then again :?: )

doublem23
10-29-2005, 12:29 PM
:walnuts
"They say its a 'dry heat' in Phoenix, and you can't go wrong with that short stop."

:roflmao:

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
If I were in his shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. Why rush? See what the market is like. See what other teams are offering. Then make your decision with as much information as you can get. I think at the end of the day, no one will make him an offer that the Sox can't compete with.

TomBradley72
10-29-2005, 12:55 PM
PK is running his own "business"....so he is smart to establish his true market value....if the WSox aren't willing to pay up...it's their fault...they rolled the dice by not signing him up in spring training. If Paulie blew out his knee this year.....he's be screwed and he knows it....

spiffie
10-29-2005, 12:55 PM
FWIW, in Buster Olney's blog on espn.com he talks about Konerko, and guesses that he will likely end up getting a deal around 12 million a year. Puts him right in the range we can afford.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 12:56 PM
FWIW, in Buster Olney's blog on espn.com he talks about Konerko, and guesses that he will likely end up getting a deal around 12 million a year. Puts him right in the range we can afford.Well, the best part about Paulie "pulling a Beltran" this year was the way Beltran played this year. :redneck

UofCSoxFan
10-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I really hope people don't bash Paulie if he goes elsewhere......first of all we won a World Series in great part becuase of him.....read that sentence again. He played his butt off and deserves to get paid. He already has a ring so you can't blame him for wanting the money if that is the case. I personally think he resigns in Chicago. Konerko has been a class act throughout, not once making this a distraction throughout the season.

Theanticub
10-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Konerko’s agent: Boston ‘a good fit’ (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=109394)
This early in the hot stove season, when an agent says his free agent client is interested in playing for Team X, there is a shooting-fish-in-a-barrel... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=109394)]

I would hate to see him in a red sox or angels uniform. I mean seriously if the red sox keep manny, they would have ortiz, manny, konerko...my god who would want to pitch to that?

RallyBowl
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
I would hate to see him in a red sox or angels uniform. I mean seriously if the red sox keep manny, they would have ortiz, manny, konerko...my god who would want to pitch to that?

Paulie behind those two guys? That's a lot of double plays.:cool:

WSoxFanForever
10-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't know how PK will like all the big egos and quirkiness in Boston. Maybe his agents are just throwing these quotes out there to warn the Sox that they'd better pay up. In the end it will be his decision, not the agent's. I hope he stays because I love every cog in this great team. I will probably have trouble cheering for him if he chooses to go to another team, although I won't bash him. It will just be sort of a hurt feeling. And then I hope KW can find a good replacement.

Vernam
10-29-2005, 02:05 PM
“Paul lives in Arizona and probably would prefer something near there but he wants to play on a good, contending team, for a manager he likes and in a city he likes, plus he wants a deal for as much length as possible, like five, six or seven years,” agent Craig Landis said yesterday. I take it that means he'd rule out an eight-year deal? :rolleyes:

Vernam

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I want Paulie back. I don't want to hamstring KW with a bloated budget geared toward one or two players. Let's keep spending money on what brought us to the promised land: PITCHING. Lock up Gar for another 3 years and perhaps even extend out Burls. I'll take Delgado at $13.5 per year for 3 years over Paulie @ $15 per for 5 or 6. If someone's willing to overpay for Paulie, so be it. I'll wish him well, NEVER BOO HIM and thank him for making our dream come true.

SABRSox
10-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Anaheim is not a good fit for Paulie. They've got two up and coming 1B/DH types in Casey Kotchman and Kendry Morales, with the latter developing into a superstar. I realize the Angels want to win now, but you've got to get these two guys AB's, and next season. Paulie muddles that up. I think Stoneman will go after him, but won't go overboard to get him. IMO, that leaves Boston and NYY as the main competition.

Stroker Ace
10-29-2005, 02:44 PM
If Paulie does move on, I hope it's not to Boston or the Yankmees.

Mr. White Sox
10-29-2005, 02:49 PM
If Paulie does move on, I hope it's not to Boston or the Yankmees.

Well, those are the main choices...we'll see. I personally wouldn't go over 3/39 for PK, but he could easily get a knockout offer of 4/55 from someone like Boston or NYY.

SOXSINCE'70
10-29-2005, 03:20 PM
This,sadly,is now the game Sox fans must watch closely
and wait with baited breath for the final result.

I hope Konerko comes back,but if it's only about
X amount of $$$$$,God bless you.Thanks for 2005.
I harbor no ill will towards someone who tests the market.
If he leaves,rest assured KW will spend that money where it needs
to be spent,replacing Konerko,getting another big bat,and fortifying
the bullpen a bit.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Just remember,Paul,the grass isn't always greener on
the other side.If you want the hero worship,you stay here.
Jermaine Dye could have signed with the D-Backs or Rangers.
They offered more money.But because he figured he could help
the Sox get to the playoffs,he came here.Good thing for us.:cool:

Foulke You
10-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Anaheim is not a good fit for Paulie. They've got two up and coming 1B/DH types in Casey Kotchman and Kendry Morales, with the latter developing into a superstar. I realize the Angels want to win now, but you've got to get these two guys AB's, and next season. Paulie muddles that up. I think Stoneman will go after him, but won't go overboard to get him. IMO, that leaves Boston and NYY as the main competition.
There has been a lot of Anaheim talk as a possiblity for Konerko but I just don't see the Angels coughing up the kind of bread it is going to take to lock up Paulie. Isn't their payroll already bloated and over $105 million? Is Art Moreno really ready to bump up the payroll even higher?

I'm not sure how many free agents the Angels have but I doubt they'll have the same kind've money the Red and White Sox can throw at him.

MarySwiss
10-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Just remember,Paul,the grass isn't always greener on
the other side.If you want the hero worship,you stay here.
Jermaine Dye could have signed with the D-Backs or Rangers.
They offered more money.But because he figured he could help
the Sox get to the playoffs,he came here.Good thing for us.:cool:

This is true. There are so many intangibles to this. And Konerko does not strike me as a fool, so he and Landis will not doubt weigh them all.

As for us, all we can do is wait and see how it all plays out. But I honestly believe that if the Sox's offer is reasonably close to other teams' offers, he'll be back with us. He's a star in Chicago; in NY or Boston, he'd be part of an ensemble cast.

As an aside, I am well and truly sick of hearing cynical mediots refer to his giving the ball to Jerry as a brilliant ploy, like they know what he was thinking. I tend to be rather cynical myself, but I prefer to accept what he did at face value. And it brought tears to my eyes, too.

I really hope he stays.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Let's look at teams that need a 1B and can afford to be a serious bidder:

AL
Yankees: With Giambi coming on strong the second half, they'll spend their money on other priorities.
Red Sox: Could use a 1B, but also have other priorities.
Angels: Could be a serious bidder.
Orioles: Palmiero gone. Could be looking.
Jays: Looking to contend. Do they have the $$$$?

NL
D-backs: Are they done paying for Schilling and Johnson yet?
Dodgers: Could use a 1B, but front office in turmoil right now.
Mets: Could replace Meint&^%*(&@#.

Anybody I'm missing?

Domeshot17
10-29-2005, 04:10 PM
IMHO, this is just smoke and mirrors. PK's agent knows Paulie's first choice is coming back, but if he makes that obvious, the white sox go magglio on him and try and defer the money for 5 million years, if he gets a buzz going, he makes kenny come out with a strong offer, 5/12 per ( which a 280 40 100 rbi guy is worth on todays market). It is not much of a blow to the sox. He made 8.5 last year, we are talking about a 3.5 million raise, thats Timo Ben Davis and and Borchard. Timo's 1 mil is gone, Gload takes his spot for 1/2 the money, Ben Davis doesnt get 1 mil to sit in triple A, and Borchard gets dealt.

SABRSox
10-29-2005, 04:15 PM
There has been a lot of Anaheim talk as a possiblity for Konerko but I just don't see the Angels coughing up the kind of bread it is going to take to lock up Paulie. Isn't their payroll already bloated and over $105 million? Is Art Moreno really ready to bump up the payroll even higher?

I'm not sure how many free agents the Angels have but I doubt they'll have the same kind've money the Red and White Sox can throw at him.

Moreno will be under a lot of pressure to bump up the payroll, but he won't go nuts. Remember, he still has one more year of Steve Finley to pay, along with that giant contract he gave Cabrera. Unless they can move one of those two (and I'm thinking that's difficult to do) they won't be adding a Konerko-esque salary.

They also have Washburn and Byrd filing for free agency this year. So they will need to spend on the pitching staff as well.

Yorke97
10-29-2005, 04:33 PM
From Kenny's perspective, We are fortunate because Paulie is our only real offseason focus, he won't be distracted by other players hitting the market. And one thing that the rest of the market seems to know that nobody is mentioning is that the only reason people are making a stink about him is his power numbers
(HR's and RBI's) which mostly have been generated at USCF, not throughout the league. Paulie, in a selfish move would do better to stay in Chicago to keep his numbers inflated.

Daver
10-29-2005, 04:43 PM
IMHO, this is just smoke and mirrors. PK's agent knows Paulie's first choice is coming back, but if he makes that obvious, the white sox go magglio on him and try and defer the money for 5 million years.

They can't do that, it would be a violation of the CBA.

MarySwiss
10-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17
IMHO, this is just smoke and mirrors. PK's agent knows Paulie's first choice is coming back, but if he makes that obvious, the white sox go magglio on him and try and defer the money for 5 million years.

They can't do that, it would be a violation of the CBA.

Gee thanks, Daver! You just made beer come out of my nose!

So how many million years would be acceptable? Anyone? Anyone?

Deadguy
10-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Paulie, in a selfish move would do better to stay in Chicago to keep his numbers inflated.

Why would that even matter once the ink dries on the contract? Is he trying to juice his numbers up to get HOF consideration? Would he be lloking for big money once the subequent deal expires? He knows this is his last chance to milk out a gigantic contract out of some team, the same way Manny, Pay-Rod, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Mo Vaughn, Delgado, Guerrero etc. did when they were in their primes. They all get/got paid regardless of their numbers, so the option of staying in a place to inflate his numbers is a rather moot point.

If its about winning and loyalty, thats another thing.

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I too want Paulie back. I don't want an albatross-like contract jeopardizing other priorities like Garland and Burls. Some suitor - I suspect - will make an offer that the Sox shouldn't match. Be prepared folks. This is a business.

DickAllen72
10-29-2005, 06:08 PM
If I were in his shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. Why rush? See what the market is like. See what other teams are offering. Then make your decision with as much information as you can get. I think at the end of the day, no one will make him an offer that the Sox can't compete with.

Paulie has earned the right to be a free agent. Part of the free agent process in MLB however, includes a 15 day window in which one's team, in this case the White Sox, have sole negotiating rights with the free agent to attempt to come to terms. Of course, this hinges on both parties bargaining in good faith.

The way this should be handled, and probably will is KW should contact PK within the next few days and ask him how much it would take for him to sign here. If PK truly wants to stay, he'll give KW a figure and they can go from there.

If PK does not want to name a figure, KW should make PK his last best offer and tell him the offer stands until the 15 days is over. If PK decides he wants to test the open market, the Sox offer is withdrawn and the Sox negotiate with PK along with all other interested teams from scratch.

As soon as another team makes an offer that is more than what the Sox offered during the 15 days, the Sox tell Paulie goodbye and turn their attentions toward other free agents.

I hope Paulie decides to stay and gets a contract in the neighborhood of 4 years/$40million. If KW believes he can afford to pay PK more, fine. But I don't think PK is worth the $60 to $75million that some sources are suggesting.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Paulie has earned the right to be a free agent. Part of the free agent process in MLB however, includes a 15 day window in which one's team, in this case the White Sox, have sole negotiating rights with the free agent to attempt to come to terms. Of course, this hinges on both parties bargaining in good faith.

The way this should be handled, and probably will is KW should contact PK within the next few days and ask him how much it would take for him to sign here. If PK truly wants to stay, he'll give KW a figure and they can go from there.

If PK does not want to name a figure, KW should make PK his last best offer and tell him the offer stands until the 15 days is over. If PK decides he wants to test the open market, the Sox offer is withdrawn and the Sox negotiate with PK along with all other interested teams from scratch.

As soon as another team makes an offer that is more than what the Sox offered during the 15 days, the Sox tell Paulie goodbye and turn their attentions toward other free agents.

I hope Paulie decides to stay and gets a contract in the neighborhood of 4 years/$40million. If KW believes he can afford to pay PK more, fine. But I don't think PK is worth the $60 to $75million that some sources are suggesting.I would think it's a lock that you won't get him for 4yr/$40M. Lowballing him will just piss him off. I can think of at least three teams that could be in the market, and I'd be surprised if at least one of them wasn't offering 5yr/$70M. There just isn't much else on the FA market. He might give a small hometown discount, but I'd expect it to take at least 5yr/$65M for him to sign with the Sox.

Theanticub
10-29-2005, 06:25 PM
I would think it's a lock that you won't get him for 4yr/$40M. Lowballing him will just piss him off. I can think of at least three teams that could be in the market, and I'd be surprised if at least one of them wasn't offering 5yr/$70M. There just isn't much else on the FA market. He might give a small hometown discount, but I'd expect it to take at least 5yr/$65M for him to sign with the Sox.

Wasnt it 4 yr/ 48M?

Frank the Tank
10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't think other teams are going to throw as much money at Paulie like we think. I would be shocked if anyteam would offer him more than 4yr/45-50 Mil, including the White Sox. I think he will be with the W. Sox because his stock is worth more here than anywhere else.

MRKARNO
10-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I'd expect it to take at least 5yr/$65M for him to sign with the Sox.

I don't think you're wrong at all. But at that rate, I think we have to say goodbye and try to find another option, potentially via trade. I don't know what other great options there are out there (sticking a mediocre hitter with a good glove at first and getting a whole year from Frank would be the best option, but it's not something that can be counted upon), but the way that contract would be structured, we're going to be paying him 15-16 million in 2010. I really don't think the White Sox should put themselves in a position where they are bogged down with such a heavy contract for someone who is going to be 34 in 2010. One has to ask themselves the question, would you pay that much for him now? I might. But it's pretty clear he's in his peak and we don't know if it's going to last that much longer. I don't know if it's really a great bet that he will. IMO he's benefitted a lot from playing in the Cell and we can find a better value who can make up a lot of that production playing 81 games here.

duke of dorwood
10-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Exactly...for a while, this is what we are going to have to listen to. Look - if PK decides he wants to play elsewhere for more money, buh bye. Thanks for the memories. Thanks for 2005. But if you want X$ and KW decides that would cripple this team down the road, then I have no problem waiving goodbye and seeing that money spent on other things. If PK likes Chicago, likes this team, and wants to be a part of what we have going on here for a while to come, then he can probably find a price that works for KW, works for JR and works for the Konerko family. 4/48, GUARANTEED, is a livable wage, and that was the Sox FIRST reported offer. This isn't football where an injury can end your career and you get nothing - these are guaranteed deals.

I hope PK stays - but not at the expense of 20% of this team's payroll.

:KW

His decision must be respected-the track record deems our respect

Flight #24
10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
All reports from even halfway reliable sources say he's likely to get something akin to $60/5. Trib also reported Sox first offer as being $48/4, so it seems like they'll be in the ballpark.

Red Sox & Yanks have far more pressing needs, and IMO aren't going to be offering more than $14M/yr. Angels might, but as noted, have 2 1B/DHs coming up that they're high on. O's are IMO the wildcard with a need at 1B & a history of spending $$$.

That said, I fully expect Paulie to recognize that Chicago offers him so much more than any city with a loyal owner, an FO he likes, a team he's comfortable with, and legendary status approaching which will get him big endorsement $$$. So I'd expect him to stay, but you never know when some team will get stupid with an offer.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2005, 08:45 PM
That said, I fully expect Paulie to recognize that Chicago offers him so much more than any city with a loyal owner, an FO he likes, a team he's comfortable with, and legendary status approaching which will get him big endorsement $$$. So I'd expect him to stay, but you never know when some team will get stupid with an offer.

:maggs
"Bah! Just give your soul over to your agent and everything will work out fine!"

jdm2662
10-29-2005, 10:06 PM
I will have to admit, if the Sox signed Konerko for more than $9 million/year at the start of the season, I would've not had liked it. Now, after his surge in the playoffs, and that he is one of the best FA out there, he will, and deserves, to get a high offer. I personally think he will stay. I think it's a matter of years that will be an issue and not money. Boston would like a new 1B, but both them and the Skank-mees have much bigger issues. I think he will get 5/60-65 and he signs. If he gets some outragous offer, well, then you have to let him go. I would not hold it against him if this happens. I would thank him, wish him the best, and hope he does well, except when he plays the Sox of course.

OEO Magglio
10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Paul will end up back on the sox or with the angels. Unfortunately I think it's going to be with Anaheim.:(: Hopefully I'm wrong.

The Dude
10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Paulie behind those two guys? That's a lot of double plays.:cool:

Are you dumb or just ignorant? That LOT wound up to be a whopping 9 this season.

Give credit where it's due and PK deserves better than the old GIDPK name.:angry:

fox2
10-30-2005, 05:17 AM
The Yankees & Red Sox both need pitching a lot more than they need hitting. The big bucks are probably going to go to guys like Kenny Rogers, Kevin Millwood, Trevor Hoffman, and even Esteban Loiaza. I'm not sure the Angels would offer more than the Sox just to replace Erstad with Konerko. The other big spenders like Texas, St. Louis and the Cubs already have first base sewn up. I think one big question is Manny Ramirez. If he leaves the Red Sox they'll need a bat to protect Ortiz and they'll have a lot of money to spend.

hose
10-30-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm sure Paulie wants to come back but if it doesn't work out then thanks for the memories.

It's time to put your trust in Ozzie telling Kenny what he wants and Kenny getting it done.

veeter
10-30-2005, 10:13 AM
The Sox proved this year that the name of the game is pitching. Of course Paulie is important and I want him back. But if the Bostons, Yankees and Anaheims of the world still want to throw crazy dollars at first basemen, I think this bodes well for the Sox. These other teams are proving they don't get it. Boston may get Paulie but they still have Wade-f-ing-Miller.

Brian26
10-30-2005, 10:32 AM
PK's Agent: "hell, Detroit isn't the worst place in the world..."

Yes it is. :D:

WestSox
10-30-2005, 11:05 AM
I'd be surprised if at least one of them wasn't offering 5yr/$70M. There just isn't much else on the FA market. He might give a small hometown discount, but I'd expect it to take at least 5yr/$65M for him to sign with the Sox.

I agree. Paulie is Jason Varitek with power. Very good hitter, great leader, great clubhouse guy, and a good "face" for the organization. But he's not Pujols or Manny. He'll also be 30 next year (meaning that we've probably already seen his best) and his hip condition may or may not become a problem later on in his career. I think that anything over 5 years/$70 million is too much. Overpaying a good-but-not-great hitter who doesn't play a tough defensive position didn't work for the Mariners or Mets this season and it won't work for the Sox, either. Paulie's a great guy and I appreciate everything that he's done over the years, but I'm not going to be angry at him or cry myself to sleep at night if he leaves.

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2005, 11:29 AM
All reports from even halfway reliable sources say he's likely to get something akin to $60/5. Trib also reported Sox first offer as being $48/4, so it seems like they'll be in the ballpark.

Red Sox & Yanks have far more pressing needs, and IMO aren't going to be offering more than $14M/yr. Angels might, but as noted, have 2 1B/DHs coming up that they're high on. O's are IMO the wildcard with a need at 1B & a history of spending $$$.

That said, I fully expect Paulie to recognize that Chicago offers him so much more than any city with a loyal owner, an FO he likes, a team he's comfortable with, and legendary status approaching which will get him big endorsement $$$. So I'd expect him to stay, but you never know when some team will get stupid with an offer.You can throw the Mets into that list. Did the D-backs re-sign Tony Clark? If not, they could be in the mix. A 5/65 contract isn't as large as it seems if it's backloaded somewhat. Start at $12M and ramp up. The way salaries inflate from year to year, $16M will be the going rate for someone like him by the 5th year.

Players' peak years typically are late 20's and early 30's, so you're buying a player in his prime. By the final year it's likely he'll be declining somewhat, but that's the price of talent.

Chips
10-30-2005, 11:55 AM
You can throw the Mets into that list. Did the D-backs re-sign Tony Clark? If not, they could be in the mix. A 5/65 contract isn't as large as it seems if it's backloaded somewhat. Start at $12M and ramp up. The way salaries inflate from year to year, $16M will be the going rate for someone like him by the 5th year.

Players' peak years typically are late 20's and early 30's, so you're buying a player in his prime. By the final year it's likely he'll be declining somewhat, but that's the price of talent.

The D-Backs did sign Tony Clark to a 2 year deal in August.

maurice
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
I agree. Paulie is Jason Varitek with power.

And without the ability to play C at the MLB level.

I'm not going to be angry at him or cry myself to sleep at night if he leaves.

Now THAT we can agree on. If Konerko wants Delgado money x 5 years, I'd rather just trade for Delgado. Better hitter + left-handed bat + more flexibility down the road. It shouldn't cost too much in the way of prospects.

soxfanreggie
10-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I wonder if Paulie would rather have a 4 or 5 year deal. Being that he would be around 34-35 at the end, you would think he would go for 5. I would say 4/48 or 5/65 would be what we should offer. That means he's getting 12-13 mil a year. However, I do agree that if we back-load the deal, 15 or 16 mil in the last year will likely be equivalent to what 12-13 mil would be now. I want to get Paulie back. But, if he gets offers for 14-15 mil a year and Jerry is willing to pay it and keep the other players we need, I'm for it. However, I want Buehrle locked up in a big extesion as our #1 deal to make. I don't think he has much longer on his contract. I wish there was a better site to find these things out. He is our horse and has shown he can get it done. Right now I think he's only making $6 mil a year. He said he will keep playing here as long as we want him. Well, I'd like him for the tune of a 5-6 year deal worth $45-60 mil. I see pitchers like Kevin Brown making $15 mil, Pavano at $9 mil, Jamie Moyer at $8 million, Freddy at $8 mil this year, Contreras at $8 ml this year. I do not believe paying Buehrle $8-10 mil a year is wrong. Thus, we have our top pitcher and a big face of our organization/a leader locked up for a while. This would be a nice reward as he was a very key piece in our WS run.

WestSox
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
And without the ability to play C at the MLB level.

Yep. Anybody can play 1B. And if you want $80 million to do so, you'd better be young AND hit for high average as well. Outside of Pujols, I can't think of any current first baseman who I could justify throwing that type of money at.

buehrle4cy05
10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Agents, not players, are the reasons why MLB has a bad rap for giving players too much money. The agent could care less how happy the player is or how good the player's team is, as long as the agent is raking in the cash, it's good for him.

:borass:

Steelrod
10-31-2005, 07:33 PM
As much as I want Paulie back, not at the expense of the team.
The funny thing is that while he sits around waiting for offers, his marketability will suffer. Don't have figures but I got a hunch that he could be throwing away more ad money than he will get squeezing every last dime out of his contract. What sponsor will tie him up, not knowing where is going to be playing!

MadetoOrta
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Good point. "Hi. This is Paul Konerko of the Arizona Diamondbacks...." doesn't quite grab you like "Hi. I'm Paul Konerko of the World Champion Chicago White Sox ..."

soxfanatlanta
10-31-2005, 08:01 PM

Boston has a ton of free agents, and the second highest payroll in the bigs. Do you really see them taking on a $12+ million salary - assuming that there is no Beltran-like bidding war? (BTW: how are the Mets feeling 'bout winning that one?) You would be looking at a completely different team there, does Epstien have the stones, or the $$?

Just wondering.

Domeshot17
10-31-2005, 08:09 PM
trust me, a lot of that goes into consideration as well. I took a class in Sports Marketing and Sports Agency and the 2 or 3 mil Paulie might lose in contract in chciago would be tripled in endorsements here.

Paulie= Hands down the Star Power of Chicago, next most popular:? maybe rowand(face of the commercials) maybe buehlre,

NY: Behind Jeter Arod Randy Johnson and Sheffield in Endorsements, Behind Beltran and right now Piazza as a Met

Boston: Behind Manny Ortiz and Varitek and Schilling

Anaheim behind Vlad, and in an area with 3 baseball teams

Second thing is this: Lose Konerko, and bring in any other first baseman in baseball not named Pujols or David Ortiz ( and I use first baseman lightly referring to him) especially after losing the big hurt, and the sox take a HUGE PR HIT. I mean the Delgado idea is not bad, personally if we lose PK I would like to see us bring over Helton, but Paulie got the most out of his defensive skills, the first time we see Delgado( and it happens alot) Half try a scoop, ball gets by him, the crowd is going to miss PK. His Contract should not hurt us too bad, Assume Carl Leaving moves Brian Anderson into that roll (ideally off topic Pods would DH, Anderson a superior Defender).

The money should be there, especially with the HUGE hike in ticket prices we are going to have to pay next year. So, in my mind, it comes down to 3 teams, The Sox, Arizona (to be closer to home), and the Angels. I think you will see the Mets pick up Millar, and not have too much money to play with after grabbing Manny, and Giambi stay at first and either Berine or Piazza DH for the yanks, and I also think they sign Nomar, and move him to second and Cano to center

none of the reports sound too bad yet, Hopefully Kenny makes him a sweet offer, and he locks up before he even hits the open market.

Also, Boston has a much bigger need then a 1b, They need to get a GM now (Epstein wont be back)

soxfanatlanta
10-31-2005, 08:15 PM
You would be looking at a completely different team there, does Epstien have the stones, or the $$?

Whoops, I guess that last question is kinda moot, eh? Serves me right for not reading the sports page before sounding off...and dumb.

:redface:

SoxFan64
10-31-2005, 09:48 PM

Not if you follow my exercise program. You can have a career well into your 30's

:nandrolone

I second that.

:barrybonds

Flight #24
10-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Boston has a ton of free agents, and the second highest payroll in the bigs. Do you really see them taking on a $12+ million salary - assuming that there is no Beltran-like bidding war? (BTW: how are the Mets feeling 'bout winning that one?) You would be looking at a completely different team there, does Epstien have the stones, or the $$?

Just wondering.

With Boston looking for a new GM, does Paulie wait and see how that situation settles out or does it maybe give him a bit less of an alternative and make him more amenable to coming to terms with the World Champs?

Chicken Dinner
10-31-2005, 10:27 PM
With Boston looking for a new GM, does Paulie wait and see how that situation settles out or does it maybe give him a bit less of an alternative and make him more amenable to coming to terms with the World Champs?

Boston isn't looking for a GM anymore. Theo has been resigned.

SABRSox
10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Boston isn't looking for a GM anymore. Theo has been resigned.

Link? Or do you mean "resign," instead of "re-signed?"

Tragg
10-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Anaheim behind Vlad, and in an area with 3 baseball teams

Second thing is this: Lose Konerko, and bring in any other first baseman in baseball not named Pujols or David Ortiz ( and I use first baseman lightly referring to him) especially after losing the big hurt, and the sox take a HUGE PR HIT. I mean the Delgado idea is not bad, personally if we lose PK I would like to see us bring over Helton, but Paulie got the most out of his defensive skills, the first time we see Delgado( and it happens alot)
I agree with everything but Anaheim, where Vlad had a nonproductive post season (and is he that popular anyway?)
The problem with getting Delgado over Konerko is that we have to give up a lot of players to do so. I'd rather see JR spend his money than KW raid his farm system. The problem with Helton is a)See Delgado (perhaps not much in players but his salary is close to PK's anyway) and b)his power numbers are in sharp, sharp decline and c)I distrust players who put up numbers in Colorado and d)he's 32 and e)you just as soon get Overbay, sort of a poor man's Helton, at a much cheaper price all the way around. Overbay has deficiencies at 1B, and Helton has the same deficiencies - no power at a power position. That would be okay, if we could make up the difference at another position, which I doubt we'd do. We'd at least need some Frank insurance.

dugwood31
10-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna weigh in on the "don't sign Paulie" side. I just can't see spending that much on one guy -- we could get 85 percent of his production for probably about 2/3 of the price, then spread that money around, preferably in the bullpen. Paulie was an integral part of the 05 Sox and for that he deserves our respect. But he's a slow, one dimensional power hitter and guys like that don't always age well. I think he has at least a few good years left in him, but .275/40/100 isn't worth $12 million.

kitekrazy
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM

It defnitely would be if Paulie wants to stay home in Oct. 2006. He could watch the other Sox....the real ones.

kitekrazy
10-31-2005, 11:32 PM

It still takes a triple to score any of those guys.

From what I've heard the current World Champs won by pitching and defense. They did quite well destroying a station to station team. Who was that again?

kitekrazy
10-31-2005, 11:51 PM
I love how emotion, stupid owners and greedy agent can escalate a player's value far more than their worth.

To me Paulie got more than his fair share in 2003.

Nellie_Fox
11-01-2005, 12:11 AM
This,sadly,is now the game Sox fans must watch closely and wait with baited breath for the final result.Should we use live bait or artificial? I really don't want to have fish breath.:(:

Randar68
11-01-2005, 09:55 AM

:contreras:
:jon
:burly
:garcia:

You rang?

Randar68
11-01-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree with everything but Anaheim, where Vlad had a nonproductive post season (and is he that popular anyway?)
The problem with getting Delgado over Konerko is that we have to give up a lot of players to do so. I'd rather see JR spend his money than KW raid his farm system. The problem with Helton is a)See Delgado (perhaps not much in players but his salary is close to PK's anyway) and b)his power numbers are in sharp, sharp decline and c)I distrust players who put up numbers in Colorado and d)he's 32 and e)you just as soon get Overbay, sort of a poor man's Helton, at a much cheaper price all the way around. Overbay has deficiencies at 1B, and Helton has the same deficiencies - no power at a power position. That would be okay, if we could make up the difference at another position, which I doubt we'd do. We'd at least need some Frank insurance.

Look up Helton's career road splits. Still a great hitter with a high OBP. Nevermind the fact that USCF is about the closest thing to a hitter's park in all of baseball.

In all of this discussion, something needs to be pointed out:

Paul Konerko:

2005:
Home: .292/.379/.956
Away: .276/.371/.863

2004:
Home: .317/.414/1.079
Away: .239/.301/.708

Don't make me bust Todd Helton out, because his numbers blow away Konerko home and road. In addition to that, Helton had a bad shoulder injury and was a primary reason for much of his first half struggles (had surgery last year). I said as much when he was struggling and you might want to check Helton's second half numbers. If that's what "decline of his career" is, I'll take it.

enurb
11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Trade Marte to the Dbacks for Aubrey Huff. Huff gets 6.75 million next year and gives us the LH bat to replace Everett. Huff is a gamer, just like PK, and is even money to out-hit PK next year -- especially in US Cellular which is hitter friendly. Then, use the extra 5.25 million saved on Konerko and the extra million or so saved on Marte to replace Marte and find a backup DH if Thomas goes down.

Check out our lineup:

1. Pods - CF
2. Gooch - 2B
3. Dye - RF
4. Thomas - DH
5. Huff - 1B
6. Crede - 3B (he showed he's for real and should move up)
7. AJ Pie - C
8. Rowand - CF
9. Uribe - SS

Thomas will out-hit Everett. Huff will match Konerko. Crede will be better for a full season, as will Rowand. This lineup is better than this year's lineup.

We avoid getting bogged down by a massive PK contract for years to come. We also avoid the risk of PK's hip condition flaring up and the chance that he might pull another 2003 season on us when he almost played himself out of baseball.

PK is a great player. I will never forget what he did for us. But, his days with us may be over. Let him cash in somewhere else.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Trade Marte to the Dbacks for Aubrey Huff. Why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes:

enurb
11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes:

I agree that part is slightly far-fetched.

But, the rumors are that the D-Backs want to dump Huff's $6.75 million salary in a big way. I'd throw in El Duque. The D-Backs need a veteran presence in their staff. Marte and El Duque would make a good fit. I wouldn't throw in Brian Anderson, but a minor leaguer could be added instead or in addition to Marte and/or El Duque.

hold2dibber
11-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Trade Marte to the Dbacks for Aubrey Huff.

Um, while I like the general idea of your post, if you think the D-backs will trade Huff for Marte, I want some of what you're smoking. My guess is that to get Huff, the Sox would have to put together a package similar to: Anderson or Rowand or Podsednik PLUS a high level prospect. They're not just going to give the guy away. Which, by the way, is a deal I'd consider. Although I'd rather just sign Konerko and keep the players.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Don't make me bust Todd Helton out, because his numbers blow away Konerko home and road. In addition to that, Helton had a bad shoulder injury and was a primary reason for much of his first half struggles (had surgery last year). I said as much when he was struggling and you might want to check Helton's second half numbers. If that's what "decline of his career" is, I'll take it.

Don't forget Helton played in the thin air of mile high Denver. He happens to be a great player but his average and Hr totals are helped by altitude and Coors Field.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 10:55 AM
We just won a World Series due in large part to clubhouse chemistry, leadership and the best connection between the fans and the team in our lifetimes...Konerko was a huge part of that.

Paulie brings about 6 good offensive seasons in a row (excluding 2003), much improved defense, great leadership, loved by the fan base, completely clutch in the post season. Downside? He's slow. To me that's like Pods getting slammed for not hitting HR's in the regular season.

He's worth the same money as the top 1B's in the game. No way do Helton, or Delgado or Huff or anyone else bring the same impact to this team as Konerko. Part of building a fan base and a tradition of winning is keeping the right guys around for the long haul. He's one of the right guys.

ChicagoHoosier
11-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Trade Marte to the Dbacks for Aubrey Huff.

When did Huff get traded to the Dbacks?

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I agree that part is slightly far-fetched.

But, the rumors are that the D-Backs want to dump Huff's $6.75 million salary in a big way. I'd throw in El Duque. The D-Backs need a veteran presence in their staff. Marte and El Duque would make a good fit. I wouldn't throw in Brian Anderson, but a minor leaguer could be added instead or in addition to Marte and/or El Duque.The D-rays turned down better offers than that last July. However, with LaMarr out and new ownership, maybe things will change.

ChicagoHoosier
11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
We just won a World Series due in large part to clubhouse chemistry, leadership and the best connection between the fans and the team in our lifetimes...Konerko was a huge part of that.

Paulie brings about 6 good offensive seasons in a row (excluding 2003), much improved defense, great leadership, loved by the fan base, completely clutch in the post season. Downside? He's slow. To me that's like Pods getting slammed for not hitting HR's in the regular season.

He's worth the same money as the top 1B's in the game. No way do Helton, or Delgado or Huff or anyone else bring the same impact to this team as Konerko. Part of building a fan base and a tradition of winning is keeping the right guys around for the long haul. He's one of the right guys.
Guess I should actually comment on the thread subject. I think if it's reasonable, they need to keep Paulie. Defense, he stepped it up. Offense, finally proved he can be clutch. Personality - he's huge for this team. He's the whole package that many aren't considering when they just look at offensive stats of another first baseman.

Having said that, he's not worth 15 mil per year.

WestSox
11-01-2005, 11:05 AM

He's worth the same money as the top 1B's in the game.

No way that he deserve a Pujols-like salary. While I agree with many of your points, Paulie doesn't hit for high average, strikes out a lot, and he'll be 30 on Opening Day of '06 (i.e., his numbers have already peaked and may begin declining in a couple years). I hope he's back, but he's not worth $80 million. Spend it on pitching instead.

enurb
11-01-2005, 11:30 AM
When did Huff get traded to the Dbacks?

My bad -- D-Rays, not D-Backs.

Marte plus for Huff. As long as it doesn't involve any position player starter, McCarthy, or Anderson, it is worth a look.

Heck, it beats having Gload trot out there next season which is what we may be facing.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 11:31 AM

No way that he deserve a Pujols-like salary. While I agree with many of your points, Paulie doesn't hit for high average, strikes out a lot, and he'll be 30 on Opening Day of '06 (i.e., his numbers have already peaked and may begin declining in a couple years). I hope he's back, but he's not worth $80 million. Spend it on pitching instead.

Where'd you hear about $80 million? While I doubt the White Sox could afford that, Paulie's intangibles should count for a lot.

WestSox
11-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Where'd you hear about $80 million? While I doubt the White Sox could afford that, Paulie's intangibles should count for a lot.

The $80 million was a rumor I heard of what the Red Sox have supposedly offered him. Nothing official, just a rumor. But I imagine that they'd do it, especially if they're able to trade away most of Manny's salary.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 12:27 PM
The $80 million was a rumor I heard of what the Red Sox have supposedly offered him. Nothing official, just a rumor. But I imagine that they'd do it, especially if they're able to trade away most of Manny's salary.Nobody is going to offer Paul Konerko $80M.

Nobody.

Tekijawa
11-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Nobody is going to offer Paul Konerko $80M.

Nobody.

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2003/09/28/a01illitch.jpg

"We bid $81 Million!!!!"

WestSox
11-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Nobody.

Why not? Beltran got $119 million. Owners overpay good-but-not-great players all of the time. And there aren't a lot of power-hitters on the free agent market this offseason. I'm not saying that it's definitely going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

samram
11-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Nobody.

Very true. Plus Boston certainly has made such an offer yet. Here's why:

First, they have no GM, so I doubt any offer has been made. Secondly, they desperately need pitching, both starting and in the bullpen. Third, to afford said pitching, they most likely have to (or will desperately try to) trade Manny Ramirez, which they can't do yet because they have no GM.

Furthermore, if PK wants to be closer to his family, isn't Boston the last place he wants to go? (Apologies if that has been mentioned already).

samram
11-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Why not? Beltran got $119 million. Owners overpay good-but-not-great players all of the time. And there aren't a lot of power-hitters on the free agent market this offseason. I'm not saying that it's definitely going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

The Beltran experience isn't going to help any free agents since he didn't have a very good year. However, Beltran can do a lot more things on the baseball field than PK can- that's why the Mets were willing to pay so much for him. The fact that it hasn't worked to this point doesn't help PK.

mjmcend
11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Very true. Plus Boston certainly has made such an offer yet. Here's why:

First, they have no GM, so I doubt any offer has been made. Secondly, they desperately need pitching, both starting and in the bullpen. Third, to afford said pitching, they most likely have to (or will desperately try to) trade Manny Ramirez, which they can't do yet because they have no GM.

Furthermore, if PK wants to be closer to his family, isn't Boston the last place he wants to go? (Apologies if that has been mentioned already).

And the most important reason they haven't offered Konerko $80 million or any amount of money is that is against baseball's rules. The white sox have exclusive negotiating rights until Nov. 11th. Boston even talking to Paul is a violation of the CBA.

WestSox
11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
The Beltran experience isn't going to help any free agents since he didn't have a very good year. However, Beltran can do a lot more things on the baseball field than PK can- that's why the Mets were willing to pay so much for him. The fact that it hasn't worked to this point doesn't help PK.

You're probably right. But that doesn't mean that an $80 million contract for PK is out of the question. I don't think he'll settle for anything less than $60 million. If someone really wants him that badly and has the financial resources to pay $80 million over 5 years, they just might do it.

steff
11-01-2005, 12:52 PM

Paul is from Long Island with much family still there.

Though I don't think that will matter in his decision.

MsSoxVixen22
11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, we'd better get used to hearing this type of thing for awhile. Now I fully admit, I wasn't a big PK person but he did step it up the 2cd half of the season. Paulie needs to stay here. He'd be a hypocrite talking about team unity and not playing for themselves, if he left for more $$. I think that his agent is "looking" but have every intention of giving the Sox first dibs. I think Paulie wants to stay here. I mean, why leave? You just won a WS and you play with a bunch of guys you like and respect. Plus, at the parade, he said something about doing this again next year. I hope Paulie and/or his agent don't get greedy. I'd like to see Paulie retire in a Sox uni. I think KW will do his absolute damnest to get him want he wants. Hopefully it won't mean blowing all our money to keep him here though.

The_Floridian
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM

I think you mean Rhode Island.

Now I'm having a flash of Coffee Talk with Linda Richmond.

"Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. Discuss."

MadetoOrta
11-01-2005, 01:05 PM
If Paulie gets an offer of $80 million, I wish him well and we move on. The ring will be sent in the mail. No hard feelings.

Domeshot17
11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
The problem is, to anyone thinking there is not a 13 million a year market out there for a .270 40 home run 100 RBI ( which the RBI total would be way up on different teams, we win scoring 3-4-5 runs a game, other teams put up 6 or 7) is nuts. He is going to command a lot of money. And the thing is, one the AROD bidding war happened, salaries got inflated. 12 million a year this year isnt what it was 4 years ago. Its a basic element of economics. Ticket Prices rise, Cost of T-Shirts, Hats, Jerseys etc. rise, Payrolls rise. (just had back surgery so im pretty bored), but I was playing around with total income figures and salaries for the last few years, and paying Paulie 12.5 a year this year is the same as paying him 9.85 4 years ago.

and this next statement, forewarned, is not being a dark clouder, but the truth.

The Sox won the championship with Pitching, Defense, and Hitting. 2 years ago, they did not win it with power hitting. That being said, It does not happen without a true 4 hitter. IMO, the 4 hitter is the 2nd most important hitter in the lineup, next to the lead off hitter. Streakey lor not, the need for a upper 200 average, 30+ home run 100 RBI guy is big. The notion that if we lose Paulie, we trade for Overbay ( who will not come easily in a trade ) and spend the money on more pitching wont work. Overbay would cause the same problems we have had. Now if you got overbay, and went out and traded for a 35-40 home run hitter to DH, its kind of a wash for Paulie/Everett. But wasnt the goal to upgrade? Now overbay is an upgrade over Everett potentially, but he is a 5 or 6 hitter. 280, 23 home runs, 80 rbis, 35 doubles ( doubles will fall a ton in USCF opposed to Milwuakee with HUGE gaps). Crede has the potential to help out with the power, but the man did hit 20+ Homers, so how much more can we expect?

Bottom line of this long probably fluffed paragraph: If a team is going to dump Paulie type money into another 1b or DH, why not poney up and Pay Paulie, keep the guy you know is great in the clubhouse, and not bring in someone that may or may not fit in with the team and the style of play. Keep Paulie, trade for Huff, and have a great 1b and DH.

PKalltheway
11-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Pardon me for sounding childish, but I think I echo all of the White Sox fans' same sentiments when I say "Paulie, Paulie! Please don't go! Please don't go!":(:

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 01:12 PM

I believe his wife and brand new baby live in Arizona. He was born in New England (Rhode Island to be specific.) and his family moved to Arizona when he was little.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Pardon me for sounding childish, but I think I echo all of the White Sox fans' same sentiments when I say "Paulie, Paulie! Please don't go! Please don't go!":(:

Well you echo me!

JohnBasedowYoda
i heard somewhere a while back that paulie doesn't want to play for the wrong sawx. not sure if there's any weight to that

PKalltheway
Konerko only needs a few more home runs and he will be second in home runs in White Sox history!

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
The problem is, to anyone thinking there is not a 13 million a year market out there for a .270 40 home run 100 RBI ( which the RBI total would be way up on different teams, we win scoring 3-4-5 runs a game, other teams put up 6 or 7) is nuts. He is going to command a lot of money. And the thing is, one the AROD bidding war happened, salaries got inflated. 12 million a year this year isnt what it was 4 years ago. Its a basic element of economics. Ticket Prices rise, Cost of T-Shirts, Hats, Jerseys etc. rise, Payrolls rise. (just had back surgery so im pretty bored), but I was playing around with total income figures and salaries for the last few years, and paying Paulie 12.5 a year this year is the same as paying him 9.85 4 years ago.

and this next statement, forewarned, is not being a dark clouder, but the truth.

The Sox won the championship with Pitching, Defense, and Hitting. 2 years ago, they did not win it with power hitting. That being said, It does not happen without a true 4 hitter. IMO, the 4 hitter is the 2nd most important hitter in the lineup, next to the lead off hitter. Streakey lor not, the need for a upper 200 average, 30+ home run 100 RBI guy is big. The notion that if we lose Paulie, we trade for Overbay ( who will not come easily in a trade ) and spend the money on more pitching wont work. Overbay would cause the same problems we have had. Now if you got overbay, and went out and traded for a 35-40 home run hitter to DH, its kind of a wash for Paulie/Everett. But wasnt the goal to upgrade? Now overbay is an upgrade over Everett potentially, but he is a 5 or 6 hitter. 280, 23 home runs, 80 rbis, 35 doubles ( doubles will fall a ton in USCF opposed to Milwuakee with HUGE gaps). Crede has the potential to help out with the power, but the man did hit 20+ Homers, so how much more can we expect?

Bottom line of this long probably fluffed paragraph: If a team is going to dump Paulie type money into another 1b or DH, why not poney up and Pay Paulie, keep the guy you know is great in the clubhouse, and not bring in someone that may or may not fit in with the team and the style of play. Keep Paulie, trade for Huff, and have a great 1b and DH.I think most rational estimates agree with your figure of $13M a year. For comparison, the Sox offered a healthy Magglio Ordonez 5 yr/$70M last year. Maggs was a legitimate 5-tool player. RF is a harder position to fill and while Ordonez won't hit quite as many HR, he'll hit for better average and is a better hitter overall.

You can never rule out the possibility of some owner doing something completely stupid, but realistically, 5 yr/$65-70M is probably the top end. I believe the Sox will match or at least come close enough to that figure to re-sign PK.

Domeshot17
11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
always found it humoring the player's homes are listed where they reside for the 5 months of offseason and not the 7 of the season. Paulie has a place in chicago for him and his wife ( and baby now ! ) during the season. Aaron, Frank same deal. However Aaron and Frank live in Nevada in the off season, so that is their home.

Paulies family is from Long Island, but at this point in his life, having a few aunts and uncles nearby probably is not a big influence. it was said early in the season paulie would not play for Boston, now his agent is being smart. You know boston will make a big offer, so if you got the sox offering 10 mil a year, and boston ofers 12, the sox, if they really want to keep Paulie, will have the call his bluff and match the offer. It is a bargaining tool.

Flight #24
11-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Supposedly Paul wants to continue with ST in Arizona to have more time at home. That would rule out the BoSox unless they can compensate with that much more $$$.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Supposedly Paul wants to continue with ST in Arizona to have more time at home. That would rule out the BoSox unless they can compensate with that much more $$$.

I also heard that he would want to play for the Red Sox, given enough money because he was born in New England, Rhode Island to be specific. What's this about his family in Long Island? Did his Father move there? BTW, I believe his father is one of his advisors. I heard a comment during the WS that his father said that given the fact that he needs to feed his family for longer than his career this is the time he needs to be compensated as his value on th market will never be higher. Fair and true enough I suppose. Therefore I believe that $$$$$$$ will be the deciding factor. Geography, convenience, etc. be damned. I know this is a shock.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ilsox7
11-01-2005, 01:42 PM
A lot of people here need to realize that anything an agent, PK, or his family say right now are is 95% negotiating ploys. And I don't blame them. He is a free agent b/c the Sox did not sign him last year (which I agree with). He is rightfully making use of his free agency to establish his market value. He can then take that market value and decide where he wants to play, with team, chances of winning, and money being factors, though not necessarily equal.

Paulwny
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Ol' No. 2]Let's look at teams that need a 1B and can afford to be a serious bidder:

Mets: Could replace Meint&^%*(&@#.QUOTE]

Mets have declined an option on Mientkiewicz, another possible PK suitor.

WestSox
11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Mets have declined an option on Mientkiewicz, another possible PK suitor.

Probably not, after they broke the bank on Beltran and Pedro last year.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Probably not, after they broke the bank on Beltran and Pedro last year.

The thought of Paulie in a Mets Uniform is too horrible to contemplate.

RowanDye
11-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't think Paulie deserves $80 million, but I hope KW will stretch as much as possible. Here is why:

Konerko is our only consistent threat at the plate.

He comes to the field every day with a good attitude and he plays every freakin' game.

I have not heard and cannot see a reasonable replacement scenario. Florida isn't just going to give up Delgado for couple of prospects

Looking over the whole season I have to say that Konerko was the team MVP (ok maybe Mark, Jon, or Freddy). Just from a production standpoint, his numbers will be hard to replace. He contributed to a lot of wins this year. If we don't sign him or find a capable replacement, we lose part of that balance of pitching and clutch power-hitting we had this year. With Frank seemingly a perennial question mark these days I gotta think securing some power for the line-up is foremost in KW's mind. If we don't have power at first, Rowand better find a way to hit 15 more homeruns. I guess we just have to hope another team doesn't get crazy and think that Paul Konerko is Alex Rodriguez.

Edit: I don't wanna hear anything involving Mike Piazza

hawkjt
11-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I just hope that Kenny comes right to the table with a solid offer in the next couple of days. Throw 5 yr 65 at him right out of the box and get it done this week. Do not start low and build up. No games. Go up to 70 if you have to but make it clear that we want him now.

DenverSock
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I just hope that Kenny comes right to the table with a solid offer in the next couple of days. Throw 5 yr 65 at him right out of the box and get it done this week. Do not start low and build up. No games. Go up to 70 if you have to but make it clear that we want him now.

5yrs.@$15mil/yr.=$75mil. In other words there is very little spread between a reasonable salary and the $80 mil that some people find to be stratospheric. One, Paulie's agent will test the waters before entertaining offers from KW. It's a basic negotiating strategy to determine Market value. KW will offer something based on these other offers. Some teams will make offers just to up the ante vis-a-vis the White Sox (Read: New York Yankees.) It's how the game is played these days. BTW, have you ever heard of player's salaries suffering deflation? :violin:

steff
11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I believe his wife and brand new baby live in Arizona. He was born in New England (Rhode Island to be specific.) and his family moved to Arizona when he was little.

In Scottsdale. I'm aware. And yes it's Rhode Island. And a lot of his family still lives there.