PDA

View Full Version : Manny demands trade ( again )

Fenway
10-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Ramirez again asks Sox for trade (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/29/ramirez_again_asks_sox_for_trade)
(By Chris Snow, Globe Staff) Gene Mato, one of Manny Ramirez's representatives, communicated to Red Sox owner John W. Henry yesterday that Ramirez wants to be traded, and will not report to spring training if his wish to be dealt is not met, according to a team source

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Ramirez again asks Sox for trade (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/29/ramirez_again_asks_sox_for_trade)
(By Chris Snow, Globe Staff) Gene Mato, one of Manny Ramirez's representatives, communicated to Red Sox owner John W. Henry yesterday that Ramirez wants to be traded, and will not report to spring training if his wish to be dealt is not met, according to a team sourceManny being Manny (again).

Fenway
10-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Selig isn't happy he stiffed MLB by not showing at the MLB salute to Latin ballplayers :?:

downstairs
10-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Selig isn't happy he stiffed MLB by not showing at the MLB salute to Latin ballplayers :?:

I thought that was classic.

Due to "Hurricane Wilma".

Yeah. Sure. $10 Million players can't find their way out of a hurricane's path to another one of their homes for a few weeks.

Ugh.

Fenway
10-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Oy

Curt on a car phone just called WEEI

Schilling Breaks Silence on Manny

10.29: Curt Schilling called in to WEEIís Mustard and Johnson program today and offered his opinion on Manny Ramirezís trade request.

"Itís November now rightÖ or itís OctoberÖ once a month. It happens (Mannyís trade request). Itís gonna happen. Itíll be out there and weíll move on. So we get to rehash the same questions and answers that youíve rehashed every year, every four months for the last three years. And itís going to be the same answers and the same questions you had before. Itís gonna depend on the situation and Iím sure Theo will address it and whatever happens will be in the best interest of the Boston Red Sox when all things are said and done.

"The bottom line is there is no indispensable player on any team, in any sport and Manny is certainly, heís probably the best right-handed hitter that Iíve ever put a uniform on with but no one player is going to get us that World Series that weíre going after next year and we have a good chance to win again if weíre healthy. He certainly makes you a better club, youíre gonna score more runs, but the fact of the matter is, there is no one guy and I trust in the fact that if Manny leaves Boston, which I hope doesnít happen, but if he does leave Boston, that whatever players they bring in to either fill his role or use his salary for, we will be a better team come opening day next year. I feel confident enough in Theo that thatís exactly what will happen. ...

"I think Manny is just looking for change more than anything, and I think that this coming up everyÖ and thatís not to belittle his emotions and feelings, I talked to Manny about this a couple of times towards the end of the season and expressed my desire that I didnít want him to go if he could find a way to make it here. I think one of the things that tends to really catch guys off guard is the attention you get off the field."

Does anybody ever talk to Manny and say "Manny it just doesnít look good when youíre half trotting and going down to first base?" Does anybody ever pull him aside and ask him that?

"You know what, those conversations are few and far between because I donít think anybodyÖ Manny knows, Manny knows what people think and feel about the things he says and does and heís not as simple as people like to make him out to be. Heís a lot smarter than that. And I think sometimes he might do things to get actions and reactions like every other player at certain points but you know what, the bottom line was at the end of the season it's 48 and 130, 140 RBIs and thatís what you have to live with. Iíd love every teammate that I ever played with to run to first base as fast as he possibly can, it just doesnít work out that way unfortunately, and Iím not sure why."

(http://boards.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=6&tid=7067&webtag=bc-redsox)

I want Mags back
10-29-2005, 01:05 PM
(By Chris Snow, Globe Staff) Gene Mato, one of Manny Ramirez's representatives, communicated to Red Sox owner John W. Henry yesterday that Ramirez wants to be traded, and will not report to spring training if his wish to be dealt is not met, according to a team source

That's funny. Don;'t recall Manny playing for the Sox

Palehose13
10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Where were the places he wanted to go? Cleveland and ??? Good luck Manny!

Mr. White Sox
10-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Mustard and Johnson??? :?:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:spBJ57lZV7kJ:www.cube6media.com/images/blog/2004_04/mustard.jpg and http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qKYtJYLZPz4J:northeast-metaldetectors.com/censored.jpg????

My question, fenway, is:
Why do you think Red Sox fans booed, then gave Manny an extended standing ovation after the same thing happened earlier in the year? Everyone knows he's a fickle, weird ballplayer, and I never understood the undying loyalty that the majority of Red Sox fans gave, then took away, then gave back to him.

antitwins13
10-29-2005, 05:18 PM
He said at one time he wanted to play for Ozzie, and I know I may get reamed for saying this, but I want Manny on the southside. He is a great hitter and Konerko is leaving so I wouldn't mind seeing him as our new clean-up hitter, and for all of the cynics out there who say he's a cancer you guys said the same thing about Pierzynski.

Chips
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
He said at one time he wanted to play for Ozzie, and I know I may get reamed for saying this, but I want Manny on the southside. He is a great hitter and Konerko is leaving so I wouldn't mind seeing him as our new clean-up hitter, and for all of the cynics out there who say he's a cancer you guys said the same thing about Pierzynski.

I thought Manny wanted to play leftfield and not be a DH, so I wouldn't want him on the Sox because he sucks in the outfield. He is the laziest outfielder I have ever seen.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 05:58 PM
I thought Manny wanted to play leftfield and not be a DH, so I wouldn't want him on the Sox because he sucks in the outfield. He is the laziest outfielder I have ever seen.No, see, Dye is going to move to 1B, Uribe will take over in RF and Manny will be the new SS.:rolleyes:

:fobbgod: Now you're talking. Defense is overrated anyway.

WSoxFanForever
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Manny can be Manny somewhere else. Can you imagine what he'd do to the chemistry of this team with his huge ego and his weird behavior? I'd rather spend his inflated salary elsewhere.

DumpJerry
10-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Manny=Sammy

A. Cavatica
10-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Even with Boston eating a ton of contract, Manny would cost more than PK. And now that PK is a certified World Series hero, this is an easy choice for the Sox.

Manny is an option for other teams who might be interested in PK, thus bringing Paul's price down a bit. How about Manny to Anaheim for Washburn? (Or is he a free agent now?)

tstrike2000
10-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Until Manny is out of Boston, we'll continue to hear this crap. That is until he realizes how good he had it in Boston and wants off his new team.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Have him join I-Rod in Detroit and see how quick he changes his tune.

Fenway
10-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Mustard and Johnson??? :?:

My question, fenway, is:
Why do you think Red Sox fans booed, then gave Manny an extended standing ovation after the same thing happened earlier in the year? Everyone knows he's a fickle, weird ballplayer, and I never understood the undying loyalty that the majority of Red Sox fans gave, then took away, then gave back to him.

Craig Mustard and Larry Johnson ( decent show )

In answer to your question, I think most Boston fans have a love hate relationship with Manny. He drives us nuts with his brainfarts but he is still part of the best 3-4 batting order since 2 guys named Ruth and Gehrig.

He plays LF at Fenway like a Jai Alai player but if a ball gets by him :?:

Fenway
10-30-2005, 01:36 PM
oy

Leak riles Henry
By Michael Silverman/ Red Sox Notebook
Sunday, October 30, 2005

Infuriated by what was reported as a leak from one of their own, the Red Sox said yesterday that the source of another Manny Ramirez-wants-to-be-traded story actually came from outside the club.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=109503

WestSox
10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Manny can be Manny somewhere else. Can you imagine what he'd do to the chemistry of this team with his huge ego and his weird behavior? I'd rather spend his inflated salary elsewhere.

Agreed. We don't need a player with a Sosa-like ego who plays LF like a butcher... espeically when he costs $20 million/year. Plus, Manny's going to be 34 next May. His production has nowhere to go but down.

Paulwny
10-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Fenway, I've heard a few times that the Mets want Manny and are willing to give Beltran. Have you heard anything ?

If this would happen, then Boston will

save $$$, Beltran cheaper than Manny

save $$$, no contract offer to Damon

$$$ left over for an A-One reliever, starting pitcher or an offer to Konerko.

Fenway
10-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Fenway, I've heard a few times that the Mets want Manny and are willing to give Beltran. Have you heard anything ?

That is what we are hearing Manny would certainly OK a move to the Mets

I think Boston still wants Paul K as well to fill the first base hole

Flight #24
10-30-2005, 03:07 PM
That is what we are hearing Manny would certainly OK a move to the Mets

I think Boston still wants Paul K as well to fill the first base hole

Isn't Beltran + Konerko - Manny - Damon about net 0 in terms of salary?
If so, unless they're raising payroll, they'd be happy maintaining their current pitching staff?

IMO, they'd be far far better off upgrading their pitching using Damon's savings than grabbing Konerko. Did they learn nothing from the World Champions this year?

Soxfanspcu11
10-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Who cares where Manny goes? As long as he doesn't end up on the white sox, who cares. You want to talk about bad for this team's chemistry! Geez, can you imagine if the Sox go through another slump next year like they did this past August, Manny would be blaming EVERYONE!

As far as free agents go, there is a guy in Boston right now that I would want more than Manny, Johnny Damon!

The rumors have already started about moving GOOCH to the 5 hole so he can get his natural power swing back. Damon would be a perfect fit in the 2 spot behind Pods and thus a much more potent lineup!

But in all honesty, I don't see that happening considering Damon has said that his dream is to play for the Cubs, like every other major league player.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Have him join I-Rod in Detroit and see how quick he changes his tune.
ZING!

Manny is an idiot.

Fenway
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Manny has told friends he likes both Anaheim and Chicago.

In both cases he was able to go to the mall withouth being bothered.

nevr say dye sox
10-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Fox Sports.com is reporting that Manny would like to be traded to the Angels. On his last trip out west, he was intrigued by the fact he wasn't bothered while shopping. He reportedly told a teammate that by playing in So. Cal his $20 mill a year is nothing compared to the guy next door making $25 mil. Does this mean if they sign Manny, no more money for Paulie? Maybe this will weaken his value and we sign him to a contract that won't break our bank? The way I see it, he signs with us or Anaheim. :?:

antitwins13
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Who cares where Manny goes? As long as he doesn't end up on the white sox, who cares. You want to talk about bad for this team's chemistry! Geez, can you imagine if the Sox go through another slump next year like they did this past August, Manny would be blaming EVERYONE!

As far as free agents go, there is a guy in Boston right now that I would want more than Manny, Johnny Damon!

The rumors have already started about moving GOOCH to the 5 hole so he can get his natural power swing back. Damon would be a perfect fit in the 2 spot behind Pods and thus a much more potent lineup!

But in all honesty, I don't see that happening considering Damon has said that his dream is to play for the Cubs, like every other major league player.

This would be a bad move. Iguchi hit behind Podsednik exceptionally well this season and was a terrific bunter and small-ball player. We don't need any more power on this team. We already had more power than Boston this year. I'll pass on Damon.

Rocky Soprano
10-31-2005, 02:25 PM
The last thing the Sox need in their clubhouse is a selfish player like Manny.

He won't be coming here. Unless it's to the northside.

soxfanatlanta
10-31-2005, 02:33 PM
He won't be coming here. Unless it's to the northside.

+1

Let him be the Cubbies' problem.

SoxFan76
10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
+1

Let him be the Cubbies' problem.

They'd love Manny. They are all about the name value and less about personality. *coughsosacough*

VenturaSoxFan23
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
They'd love Manny. They are all about the name value and less about personality. *coughsosacough*

Then you'd be hearing this exchange on the El...

"Did the Cubs get another player named Ramirez?"
"Yeah, Manny."
"No, I don't think that's his name."
"Yes, that's his name."
"Well, I was reading the box score today and I'm wondering who this 'E-Ramirez' is."

chisoxfan64
11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Then you'd be hearing this exchange on the El...

"Did the Cubs get another player named Ramirez?"
"Yeah, Manny."
"No, I don't think that's his name."
"Yes, that's his name."
"Well, I was reading the box score today and I'm wondering who this 'E-Ramirez' is."

:redneck :redneck :redneck Funny, but true.

SoxFan76
11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
:redneck :redneck :redneck Funny, but true.

You know what, I was supposed to laugh, but I didn't. I swear I've heard that same conversation with different players a million times between Cub fans.

It's so true it's scary...

LongLiveFisk
11-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Until Manny is out of Boston, we'll continue to hear this crap. That is until he realizes how good he had it in Boston and wants off his new team.

This is what I'm having trouble comprehending. Boston is a contender every year and he is making major bucks. Is the media there really that bad? I honestly can't believe it's such an issue for him. Even if he went to Anaheim, Chicago, etc, he still wouldn't be able to walk around a local mall without being mobbed.

GMAB.

dickallen15
11-02-2005, 04:36 PM
This is what I'm having trouble comprehending. Boston is a contender every year and he is making major bucks. Is the media there really that bad? I honestly can't believe it's such an issue for him. Even if he went to Anaheim, Chicago, etc, he still wouldn't be able to walk around a local mall without being mobbed.

GMAB.

Evidently it is much worse in Boston than anywhere else. Still, how did he survive the previous seasons there? Maybe it got worse with the WS win in 2004. These guys want it both ways. They want their $20 million a year to play a game, but want to be a regular guy on the street, except when it comes to comps of course, and skipping long lines to get into clubs etc.