PDA

View Full Version : Parade Numbers - Last Media Slight of the Year

daveeym
10-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Parade was awesome, rally seemed even better while watching the feed back at work. I've been waiting to hear estimated numbers on "attendance." I remember after every Bulls rally it was "hundered of thousands" or "a million plus" showed up today, however the Tribune used "tens of thousands" as their line of choice while the suntimes used "thousands." The closest I could even begin to get an estimate was in the suntimes pics they showed a pic from the 1959 parade down lasalle and said 700,000 showed up that day(but it was confusing and may have been for yesterday). In the pic the fans were only lined up 4 or 5 deep on the sidewalks. If that was 700,000 in '59, there was easily 2 million fans IN THE LOOP ALONE yesterday. If anyone heard some real estimates reported I'd love to hear em because that was coolest most impressive thing I've ever been a part of. Better than the Bull's 1st championship rally that I attended.

At least the trib article described the trip through the south side and that sounded awesome, wish I could have seen some pics of that.

cornball
10-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Yesterday on the radio they were saying 1.7 million, noone will ever know. That must include everyone along the route is my guess.

downstairs
10-29-2005, 08:43 AM
The one thing about these things is that no one ever, ever, ever knows. I've heard this stuff analyzed when taking about things like The Million Man March and other big-time political/musical/sports gatherings.

The density of people together can affect the number so much that any guess could be right. For example... you could jam (making up numbers here) 10,000 people onto one street block of LaSalle and make it look full. But if you packed them together, it could be 30,000.

You'd have to have miles of photos from airplanes, and you'd have to have the photos taken at about the same time.

That's why I'm happy with the estimated crowd number of "lots". :cool:

MUsoxfan
10-29-2005, 09:36 AM
however the Tribune used "tens of thousands" as their line of choice .

IIRC, they said "families came by the tens of thousands"

DumpJerry
10-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Tribune reported 1.75 million this morning.

jabrch
10-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Someone on the Score on Thursday predicted "thousands" would attend. Yes, that's right - nearly 2000 thousand according to Channel 5 news!

woodenleg
10-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Tribune reported 1.75 million this morning.

I saw the Pope in '79, and that was 2 million. It wasn't 'thousands' or even 'tens of thousands', but it wasn't nearly 2 million either.

I ain't gonna fall for the trick of having them make us look like fools.

Unless they're counting damn near everyone in the loop.

How many was it? Well, it was enough to piss off the haters, so I'd say it was....enough.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 11:21 AM
All News WBBM 780 said "1.75 million lined the streets" when I listened to it last night.

That I believe, if you take into account the bus route and the actual parade/rally.

Paxson93
10-29-2005, 11:40 AM
WGN News at 9 did a piece yesterday saying that the numbers were unprecedented in Chgo history. Compared it to Bulls rallies, Bears tickertape parade, a parade for the Queen of England and welcome home parades after WWII. Said this turn out was significantly higher than all of those events. And they made it seem as though they were talking about the rally itself rather than including the numbers of people lining the streets through the neighborhoods because they said something about it being the highest volume of people in one place at one time....

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 12:30 PM
All News WBBM 780 said "1.75 million lined the streets" when I listened to it last night.

That I believe, if you take into account the bus route and the actual parade/rally.That's the official number from the city. No one ever really knows.

On a related note, did anyone hear Ogulnick on WMVP talking about the rally beforehand and wondering if anyone was going to show up? This clown has got to go. If he wants to be a Cubs fan, fine. Find another line of work because he's clearly not suited for this one.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 01:21 PM
People still listen to WMVP? If it wasn't for Bob Valvano on Friday & Saturday nights, I wouldn't even know it existed. Half the time, the reception is crap anyway so I just pop in a tape and drift off to sleep.
If they think ratings are low now, wait until there's no Sox or Bulls to turn to. Oh wait, we're halfway there as it is.

bobowhite
10-29-2005, 01:28 PM
My brother-in-law is with the Chicago Police officer. He said the CPD estimate was between 1.25 million and 2 million, probably close to 1.75 million.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 01:30 PM
So, in retrospect, saying 1.75M people lined the streets for the White Sox can hardly be called "slighted".

SouthSide_HitMen
10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Over 2 millions fans saw the White Sox in October counting 6 home games and Friday. If they were not so dominant over the playoff opposition they would have added another hundred thousand or two.

Bigger than the Bulls. Bigger than the Bears. Bigger than the Pope. What an impressive turnout White Sox Army!!!

daveeym
10-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Good to hear. I'm glad it was being reported out there.

HotelWhiteSox
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
I heard close to two million.

The CLTV ticker used "thousands"

and ESPNEWS used "hundreds of thousands"

Bastards

jdm2662
10-29-2005, 05:53 PM
We will never know the full amount. I have footage from the Bears parade. The streets were so packed, the buses couldnt get through. Now, I was only eight, so I don't remember what route the parade went. This one was pretty spread out throughout the city. There could be that many people for the entire parade. We will never know. However, it was enough for the Sox haters to sallow. That's all that matters.