PDA

View Full Version : Zorn on Mariotti...

Tragg
10-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Did yall see that column where the Tribune columnist summarized Moronotti's comments on the Sox from the winter meetings through the season? Absolutely hilarious.

(Zorn may be a tool himself, for all I know, but that article was funny).

antitwins13
10-29-2005, 02:01 AM
that's classic, yet hypocritical coming from the Chicago Tribune.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Did yall see that column where the Tribune columnist summarized Moronotti's comments on the Sox from the winter meetings through the season? Absolutely hilarious.

(Zorn may be a tool himself, for all I know, but that article was funny).No, thanks for the link. :?:

Tragg
10-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Whoa

Sorry bout dat

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/jay_mariottis_y.html

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 02:30 AM
Whoa

Sorry bout dat

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/jay_mariottis_y.htmlThank you very much. I did not find that one on my own. :thumbsup:

I must add, holy crap, this is like the ultimate expose on the already well known Windsock. What a loser. :D:

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 02:51 AM
Great find, Tragg.

Mariotti is such a jerk off. Some of his greatest hits:

Will (Ken) Williams recognize his Joe Crede problem and pursue Shea Hillenbrand?
I can safely say the Sox won't win a World Series as long as (Jerry Reinsdorf) owns them.
I stand by my story that the Twins are better... .The Sox are a work in progress; the Twins are the polished product.... Are the Sox ready? I think not.
The Sox will win 84 games and miss the playoffs.
(What Smart fans) want to know is how the Sox plan to win a World Series. Answer: They won't, as long as Reinsdorf and his people own the team. Please sell it.
If there is any sense of mercy, the White Sox will be blacked out the rest of the season so a terminally cursed city needn't witness The Mother of All Collapses
The Sox are deluding themselves if they believe Bobby Jenks -- a 270-pound rookie reliever -- can stop a historic free-fall.

Ugh, what a ****head. I almost forgot all of the inane bull**** he's spewed this year. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Great find, Tragg.

Mariotti is such a jerk off.The Moron needs to be ushered out of the city. I don't know where he would go. He's pretty much hated on a national scale. Oh well, I guess the Sun Times loves to pay for monumental incompetence. It will probably put them out of business, sooner rather than later.

jdm2662
10-29-2005, 03:02 AM
Just another chapter to laugh at the moron. Since we know he reads this forum, all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Go back to Detroit you talentless tool.

Banix12
10-29-2005, 03:19 AM
I wish I had saved that article from right after opening day where he said the sox weren't going to win a damn thing all year. I'd frame it and put a big stamp across the front that says "Moron".

As I think back on the ESPN post world series coverage what I found most disgusting was that Mariotti was on every single show, on every single ESPN from Original to Classic, the day after talking about the White Sox. Hell he was probably on "The Ocho" talking about how the sox were lucky between dodgeball games.

Fuller_Schettman
10-29-2005, 03:38 AM
The Moron needs to be ushered out of the city. I don't know where he would go. He's pretty much hated on a national scale. Oh well, I guess the Sun Times loves to pay for monumental incompetence. It will probably put them out of business, sooner rather than later.

I hope he quits his day job and takes a full-time gig at EastSPN. Then we will be rid of him and his spewage...

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 04:05 AM
I hope he quits his day job and takes a full-time gig at EastSPN. Then we will be rid of him and his spewage...Clueless and The Moron united. It would be like Ebola meets Bubonic. Something for the ages. :redneck

PeteWard
10-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Mariotti is the epitome of that sickening late 20th century phenomenon, the "celebrity sportswriter". It as a creature that is not famous for writing well, but that is famous for "spouting off" on radio and TV. They dot the media landscape like so many rabbit turds. This particular pellet was so bad over the summer he had me feeling bad for Dusty Baker--not an easy achievement. The worst was his insistence on calling the Sox chokers, something I am sure many Sox players will never forget.

What still gets me about ALL sportswriters, even after the Sox won it all, and even in so many of the glowing tributes, is this talk of choking and collapsing . They finished 5 over (or more?) in September. Maybe they were not playing up to their potential, indeed they "stunk" at times as Ozzie said, but Cleveland went 18 and 2 at one point.

If Cleveland would have caught them, it would have been that Cleveland just went berserk, not because the Sox choked. Also percentages caught up with the Sox, as they did with Cleve when the Sox swept them. I don't think Cleveland choked vs. the Sox either.

Choking means kicking away wins by making pressure-induced mistakes--see the Cubs in '69 for that. Though the Sox run production diminished and I, for one, was worried as hell, I can't thing of one single choked game in September.

Mr. White Sox
10-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Clueless and The Moron united. It would be like Ebola meets Bubonic. Something for the ages. :redneck

Ebola meets Bubonic...that's a bad thing, right?

Professor
10-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks ESPN, Moron has become the most dominant face of Chicago sports media. Everytime a Chicago team does anything, he will be their man.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks ESPN, Moron has become the most dominant face of Chicago sports media. Everytime a Chicago team does anything, he will be their man.

This is so true. The WSJ has a summary sports feature called The Daily Fix where they recap what the sports news of the day happens to be around the country. These dopes routinely quote the Moron's columns for their Chicago angle to the story. It's beyond pathetic... truly embarrassing to our city.

If this is the best the Wall Street Journal can do to find quotable quotes from Chicago, what does it say about the rest of the sports journalists they quote?
:?:

Stick to business news and investment insights. That would be my advice to the teeny tiny sports division at the WSJ.
:cool:

CallMeNuts
10-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Since there is no such thing as tickertape anymore, I heard they used shredded Sun-Times for the parade yesterday. Probably shredded Marriotti columns.

Tragg
10-29-2005, 10:13 AM
If this is the best the Wall Street Journal can do to find quotable quotes from Chicago, what does it say about the rest of the sports journalists they quote?
:?:

Stick to business news and investment insights. That would be my advice to the teeny tiny sports division at the WSJ.
:cool:

Did you read the WSJ article that provided an analysis of the Bosox series? The reason we won was, you guessed it, favorable umpiring. Oh, not because of bad calls or anything, but because we were lucky enough to have pitchers' umpires, which make all the difference in the world.
Gee, if Boston just had a pitchers' umpire, they may not have lost game 1 14-2.

Mickster
10-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Did you read the WSJ article that provided an analysis of the Bosox series? The reason we won was, you guessed it, favorable umpiring. Oh, not because of bad calls or anything, but because we were lucky enough to have pitchers umpires, which make all the difference in the world.
Gee, if Boston just had a hitters umpire, they may not have lost game 1 14-2.

Hell, if Boston had the umpires hit for them, they may not have lost game one 14-2. :redneck

voodoochile
10-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Nothing WSI hasn't been saying all along. I love the fact that the other sportswriters in town have picked up on the windsock nickname.

Nice to see it all laid out for everyone to see. The Moron is an idiot who figures the public has too short an attention span to recall what he wrote a few days ago.

:windsock:
"Look at me, look at me..."

tebman
10-29-2005, 11:16 AM
What a remarkable piece of research Zorn did! Man, I wouldn't have the stomach to go through that clown's columns from the last couple of years to lift those quotes.

Gotta give props to Zorn -- he publicly (and good-naturedly) admitted his mistake (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ericzorn/chi-0510270008oct27,1,2706546.column?coll=chi-news-col) in saying the Sox would choke. His stuff was simple trash-talk from the fan of a competing team. But like PeteWard posted earlier, the Windsock Moron is a "celebrity sportswriter" who spouts off just to annoy people and draw attention to himself.

Zorn just showed what genuine journalism is supposed to be: get the facts and spell them out.

Brewski
10-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Since there is no such thing as tickertape anymore, I heard they used shredded Sun-Times for the parade yesterday. Probably shredded Marriotti columns.

It was shredded newsprint, the unused paper that newspapers are printed on, obtained from the Sun-Times. It could have been shredded choke stories from August and September, if they wanted to be ironic about it.

The Dude
10-29-2005, 11:29 AM
This is one marriotti column that WONT be in the roadhouse!:D:

Excellent collection of windsock material! I'd like to email this to Hawk next season and see his response.:cool:

fquaye149
10-29-2005, 12:24 PM
December 14 -- Oh, this makes loads of sense, building a slap-and-tickle team to play 81 games in the most power-friendly ballpark in the majors..... Ken Williams is trading mashers for midgets....Amazingly enough, a team that hit a major-league-best 242 homers in 2004 has lost four prime power hitters, including Jose Valentin. And the only attempt to fill the void was Williams' cheapskate signing of injury-hobbled Jermaine Dye, who will make $4 million next year ($10 million less than Ordonez made last season) and is a career .208 hitter with two out and runners in scoring position.....Don't be fooled by (Scott) Podsednik's 2003 National League Rookie of the Year award or his 70 stolen bases last year. This is a leadoff hitter who has trouble leading off, hitting only .244 last season with a lame .313 on-base percentage....When Juan Uribe is a team's third-best hitter, you again start hoping that Reinsdorf sells the franchise while wondering if the general manager has lost his lid.... As long as Jose Contreras is your No. 3 starter and Jon Garland is your No. 4, the Sox can't play OzzieBall.....They don't care about winning and only care about making money.

Anyone notice how much Mariotti sounds like Hangar? Better punctuation though.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
I didn't see any contradictions.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Anyone notice how much Mariotti sounds like Hangar? Better punctuation though.OMG!! I almost spit coffee all over my computer. :rolling:

Dick Allen
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
The Moron needs to be ushered out of the city. I don't know where he would go. He's pretty much hated on a national scale. Oh well, I guess the Sun Times loves to pay for monumental incompetence. It will probably put them out of business, sooner rather than later.The Sun-Times has the (simple)mindset that Mariotti is so controversial that it will sell more papers. Just the opposite is probably true.

cheeses_h_rice
10-29-2005, 02:41 PM
My favorite blurb:

July 31--All I know is this: If 3 p.m. rolls around and Ken Williams has not made a significant trade, perspective will succumb to the usual paranoia in Sox precincts everywhere. Because this franchise will have jeopardized its best World Series shot in years... As presently constituted, I doubt the Sox are as equipped to win the pennant as, say, the Disneyland Angels, who have won a recent World Series and have the American League's most complete team. Or the Red Sox, who finally won it all last year and are so big on midseason shakeups that they're shopping Manny Ramirez after successfully dumping Nomar Garciaparra last summer. ...Today is the day the season is won or lost on the South Side.

My god, could he have been any more wrong?

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 03:11 PM
This is the same guy who said, while writing for the Denver paper, that John Elway will never win a Super Bowl.

I think he left for Detroit after he wrote that. That's what's called a chuck-and-duck.

TomBradley72
10-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Looking for a history of our favorite columnist's anti-WSox rants? Here it is...courtesy of all people: Eric Zorn:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/jay_mariottis_y.html

eastchicagosoxfan
10-29-2005, 04:26 PM
If Moronotti has even a shred of integrity, he'd be embarrassed by his work, but he lacks even the smallest hint of a conscience. He finds it much too easy to say, " Oops, I made a mistake, let's move on now. " Blah, blah, blah, beat the dead horse....if anyone ever deserved a good old fashioned punch in the nose, ( sorta like in Die Hard, when Holly McClain pops the TV guy ) he does. The Sox, as well as the other teams he " covers " have too much class to revoke his media credentials.

Dan Mega
10-29-2005, 05:24 PM
At least Zorn was respectful enough to cook his crow and eat it.

MarySwiss
10-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Just FYI, there's a thread on this in Talking Baseball.

Zorn on Mariotti.

HotelWhiteSox
10-29-2005, 06:14 PM
:windsock:

OWNED

flo-B-flo
10-29-2005, 08:55 PM
EastSPN. ...EastSPiN

Brewski
10-29-2005, 11:36 PM
If Moronotti has even a shred of integrity, he'd be embarrassed by his work, but he lacks even the smallest hint of a conscience. He finds it much too easy to say, " Oops, I made a mistake, let's move on now. " Blah, blah, blah, beat the dead horse....if anyone ever deserved a good old fashioned punch in the nose, ( sorta like in Die Hard, when Holly McClain pops the TV guy ) he does. The Sox, as well as the other teams he " covers " have too much class to revoke his media credentials.

We did revoke his parking space at the Cell early this season.:D:

veeter
10-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Paybacks are sweet.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
11/07/04
If (Reinsdorf's) franchise isn't dying, it never has seemed more irrelevant in this town

12/19/04 --If the Sox had given (former Cub Matt) Clement an extra $5 million and (pitcher Omar) Vizquel an extra year and $3 million, they would have a quality No. 3 starter behind Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle and a fielding wizard to anchor the infield. But because they bid low in both cases, they'll be a .500 team next year. Or worse.

April 18 -- I stand by my story that the Twins are better... .The Sox are a work in progress; the Twins are the polished product.... Are the Sox ready? I think not.

June 7 -- I can safely say the Sox won't win a World Series as long as (Jerry Reinsdorf) owns them.

July 4 - This will shock and anger many Soxheads, but as a public service, I will submit that the Angels and Red Sox are slightly more equipped to win the American League pennant.

July 30-- Williams insists the Sox don't need major roster surgery, but I couldn't disagree more.

July 31- Today is the day the season is won or lost on the South Side.

Fire Sun Times Fire the Windsock!!!

TomParrish79
10-30-2005, 01:08 PM
They dot the media landscape like so many rabbit turds.

thats hilarious to me...great stuff

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Eric Zorn is a sCrUBbie apologist.THEY'RE BOTH PUDS!!:angry: :angry:

TornLabrum
10-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Eric Zorn is a sCrUBbie apologist.THEY'RE BOTH PUDS!!:angry: :angry:

But at least Zorn took it like a man and ate a healthy meal of crow. Mariotti, of course, knew we were going to win it all from the start (at least that's his latest revisionist history).

hsnterprize
10-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Mr. Zorn,

I hope you're enjoying the crow you and other Cub fans/non-Sox believers are feasting on. Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd rather have it deep fried with a side of either mashed potatoes and gravy or french fries. I'm a little prone to southern-style foods, so either sides of greens or red beans and rice would make the crow even more delectable.

I've been a Sox fan since I can remember. I was 11 years old when the Sox clinched the A.L. West Division crown in 1983. For the sake of brevity, I won't go into my story about being a Sox fan in my childhood, but suffice it to say this championship is a lot sweeter for me and for others who've waited a long time to celebrate something like this.

Let me first say to all the REAL, long-suffering Cubs fans out there, your time will come. I know it's been since 1908, and believe me...we'll remind you of that fact as long as the north siders don't win the Series. But I know there are a lot of true, die-hard Cubs fans who are cringing at not only the Sox' celebration, but also at those who frequent Wrigley Field for the entertainment of it, and not for the baseball. We all know Wrigley Field is a tourist attraction, and many people from out of town come to see the place. There's a reason why Clark and Addison is considered "The World's Largest Beer Garden", and it doesn't have a thing to do with the product on the field. You die-hard Cubs fans want what we have...a winning team. It would be one thing if your team were more popular in recent years because of a good team, with the "Wrigley Field Experience" as a side bar. But let's face it...the "hype" of going to Wrigley and "experiencing" all it has to offer often predicates what happens between the lines, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of passion from those in attendance demanding either the Cubs put out a good, winning product, or else Wrigley turns into a ghost town.

Hype rather than substance works for a little while, but sooner or later, you're going to have to be honest with yourself in regards to your team. Celebrating back to back winning seasons (more wins than losses in the regular season) is pretty sad when you consider the team about 10 miles south of Wrigley is holding a trophy die-hard Cub fans salivate over. At least if the World Series were won by St. Louis, Milwaukee, or someone other than the Sox, it wouldn't be so hard to swallow. But let's be honest here...this was a great win for Chicago as a whole, but it's a whole lot more meaningful for us Sox fans than Cub fans. You decide...you can either have the "hype" of the "Wrigley Field Experience", or the "substance" of seeing the World Champions play 82+ games at U.S. Cellular Field.

And to those of you who seemed shocked that We Sox fans would be so "brazen" as to "rip the Cubs", let me say this...when you've been told for so long that you're bad, your team is bad, your ballpark is bad, the neighborhood near your ballpark is bad, the fans are bad, and just about everything associated with the White Sox is to be avoided, while everything I mentioned and more associated with the Cubs is good, you're going to feel a little vengeful. While there are many true baseball fans on both sides of town who could care less about the off-the-field sideshows, we Sox fans have been told for a long time that we had to convert our love for a winning Sox team into a Cub-like "win-or-lose, we're having a good time at the ballpark" kind of attitude. We've been told our ballpark has to be a south-side version of Wrigley Field for it to draw crowds like that north side joint. We've been told by people both in and outside Chicago that our team would never win because it wasn't as popular as the Cubs. Well, despite your team being owned by a major media corporation, despite your team outdrawing mine over the past few years, and despite the overwhelming popularity the Cubs have had from sea to shining sea, your team didn't accomplish much at all. Face it...we've said all along the only thing that matters to us is what happens ON THE FIELD. Making the ballpark more fan friendly, seeing parts of Bridgeport and Bronzeville being improved, and better marketing by Brooks Boyer is great, but winning the World Series is the ultimate reward...not having more butts in U.S. Cellular Field than Wrigley.

I was quoted on WGN Radio recently. I didn't listen to the quote directly, but friends tell me I was quoted saying Cubs fan could have their ivy, their trendy bar scene, their celebrities, and all that because we have a world championship. Whoever was on the air said all I cared about was ripping on the Cubs instead of enjoying my team's win. Well...he's partially right. Like it or not, many Sox fans like me are simply sick and tired of being told we were rooting for the "wrong team", or that it's more "hip" and "cool" to be a Cubs fan. We're tired of being pelted left and right with media bias (and I'm IN the media, so I can prove it, Mr. Zorn) towards the north siders, and we're tired of being told that we don't matter since this is a "Cubs town". In the words of 2005 ALCS MVP Paul Konerko, "2nd team no more!!!!!" And while I know there are good, knowledgeable, and true Cubs fans out there who want their team to win as badly as I want mine to, the fact of the matter is there are too many people and influences out there that say it's more important to have sellout crowds every day, some celebrity singing the 7th inning stretch, and bars filled to overflowing before, during, and after a game. So to that, I say...you can have it. You can have your "mystique" for a stadium that's nearing the end of its road. You can have the perception that it's all about fun and games at Clark and Addison. You can have the ivy, the manual scoreboard, the trendiness, the status symbols, the rooftops, the urine-smelling bathrooms, the cramped concourses, and all that. We Sox fans have the ultimate symbol of excellence...something the Tribune Company, with all its power and wealth can't buy...the 2005 World Series Championship. It's for all of Chicago, but it'll be a lot more welcome south of Madison Street than north of it.

If this doesn't appear on Zorn's blog, then at least you have proof I said something to him. He and other Cubs fans need to just face the fact that unless there are some drastic changes in Cubbieville, they'll be seeing a lot more celebration on the south side for years to come.

schmitty9800
10-31-2005, 01:35 AM
I was seriously going to do this with Mariotti columns, but I literally can't read him for more than two paragraphs. Great article.

Wsoxmike59
10-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Great letter hsnterprize!! I enjoyed that thoroughly. :D:

Realist
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Great letter hsnterprize!! I enjoyed that thoroughly. :D:

Ditto. :yup:

Foulke You
11-01-2005, 01:48 PM
There is way too much funny material in that Zorn collection of Mariotti-isms but here is one of my favorite quotes in that article:

"I will submit that the Angels and Red Sox are more equipped to win the American League pennant."

-Jay Mariotti

LOL!! How ironic since those are the exact two teams we dispatched easily to get to the World Series! :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
11-01-2005, 02:34 PM
thanks for the link! this is too good. I like how zorn admitts to eating crow

skottyj242
11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Someone has to e-mail that to Around the Horn or PTI.