PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt to manage the D-Rays?

buehrle4cy05
10-28-2005, 11:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2206820

I don't think this would be the right (to hire Schmidt) move at the time. It's only an interview, but somebody from within the Devil Rays should take over a team that is composed of guys who have been through the system there.

Banix12
10-29-2005, 12:47 AM

I don't think this would be the right (to hire Schmidt) move at the time. It's only an interview, but somebody from within the Devil Rays should take over a team that is composed of guys who have been through the system there.

I don't know if he would be a great manager but as far as bringing someone up from the D-Ray organization, frankly that organization hasn't had much of a history of success. And that's even in the development of players, pitchers in particular. Bringing in an outsider isn't really the worst idea. That whole organization needs to be remade.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-29-2005, 01:11 AM

Shouldn't the team hire a GM first and let him decide who he wants as manage? Seems like this process is being run backwards which is par for the course with the Devil Rays.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I just think that Tampa Bay should be contracted, as should the Rockies. Baseball worked in Colorado for about five years, but it's sucked ever since then. Denver is more interested in the Broncos or even the Nuggets than it is in seeing a winning baseball team.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 03:06 PM
San Francisco, Minnesota, Oakland and the White Sox all expressed a desire to move down there during the '80s. Can we just say we're glad things turned out the way they did? That could have been us.

Banix12
10-29-2005, 04:38 PM
San Francisco, Minnesota, Oakland and the White Sox all expressed a desire to move down there during the '80s. Can we just say we're glad things turned out the way they did? That could have been us.

I think it would have been different if a team had moved as opposed to expansion. Certainly they would have had the same stadium issues but the Devil Rays problems seem to be largely administrative. Those teams you mentioned all have had a history of pretty good front offices.

SOXintheBURGH
10-30-2005, 12:43 AM
There is no way in hell Michael Jack Schmidt manages the Devil Rays.He failed with a low minor league team last year, miserably. I'm pretty sure he quit on them too?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-30-2005, 12:54 AM

It wouldn't have been me. I don't think many of us would be rooting for a Tampa Bay White Sox team. I know I wouldn't.

Saying that could have been Jerry is another story. I think all of us including ownership is more than happy with what happened since 1985. I missed the old park mainly because of the great memories but the new park has memories now and it is a lot more fan friendly. I like the family friendly aspects of the new park as well (Fundamentals), better security - Comiskey is much more family friendly than the urinal.

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Doesn't Schmidt sit on the HOF veteran's committee? Hasn't he said something to the effect of If you weren't voted in right after retirement you shouldn't be voted in at all?

F him.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I think it would have been different if a team had moved as opposed to expansion. Certainly they would have had the same stadium issues but the Devil Rays problems seem to be largely administrative. Those teams you mentioned all have had a history of pretty good front offices.

That's what I was looking for: the issues with that dreary dome.

Norberto7
10-30-2005, 01:37 PM
There is no way in hell Michael Jack Schmidt manages the Devil Rays.He failed with a low minor league team last year, miserably. I'm pretty sure he quit on them too?

Wasn't it him that had the quote that he did not want to manage anymore because he could make a lot more money doing card shows?