PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: AL Postseason Outfielder Tests Positive?

Joosh
10-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Link (http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/mrirrelevant/entries/2162)

I know that this is only a rumor, key to the reason I posted it here, but I got this NYYFans, and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

I'm gonna do a little more digging, and let you know what I find.

antitwins13
10-28-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't think it's any of the Sox players.

Joosh
10-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Heres some more info:

http://deadspin.com/sports/steroids/whos-the-mystery-al-roider-133398.php

None of these are conlcusive sources, but I thought it should be posted.

Also, The first page has an audio link of an interview with Carrol, in which he gives this information.

ATXBMX
10-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Johnny Damon...

TheOldRoman
10-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Scott Podsednik - 0 HR in the regular season, 2 HR in the postseason...
put two and two together!

Stroker Ace
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I would in no way be surprised if it were Damon on Sheffield.

obinder26
10-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I was talking with a friend, and we though maybe it was Vlad. Look how bad his numbers were in the postseason... if he knew that he tested positive that probably would have been over his head the WHOLE time. But besides that, I've always suspected Garret Anderson of juicing... I know the guy was hurt, but his numbers made a considerable jump in I think 2000. I'm not talking a Brady Anderson esque jump., but it was considerable (Something like 20 HR more and 40 RBI i think...). If its not him... I dont know... I hope it is someone from the Yankess because I hate them.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 10:39 PM
I call BS. Will Carrol can't talk about it because he was involved in the appeals process??? *** was Will Carrol doing in the appeals process?

Joosh
10-28-2005, 10:42 PM
I call BS. Will Carrol can't talk about it because he was involved in the appeals process??? *** was Will Carrol doing in the appeals process?

He did write that book on Steriods, "The Juice," so its not out of the relms of possibility.

obinder26
10-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I just thought of the best... or stupidest conspiracy theory ever. When you take Roids its pretty much a fact that your head balloons and your face gets goofy (althought that might be HGH). What better way to hide these features than shoulder length hair and a grizzly beard? If you dont know what Im getting at.... JOHNNY DAMON!!! haha:dtroll:

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 10:52 PM
He did write that book on Steriods, "The Juice," so its not out of the relms of possibility.It is out of the realms of possibility. The participants in appeals are clearly specified in the CBA, and they don't include bloggers.

Joosh
10-28-2005, 10:56 PM
He's not a blogger. He's an author of a major steriod book, who could have been a consultant since it WAS an appeal.

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 11:00 PM
He's not a blogger. He's an author of a major steriod book, who could have been a consultant since it WAS an appeal.

http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/monday/jtcosell1.jpg

"Interesting...if...true..."

obinder26
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7346/1117/1600/DAmon.jpg

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 11:09 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7346/1117/1600/DAmon.jpg

Okay, that's pretty good...

ATXBMX
10-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Say it ain't so, Timo.

mbwhitesox
10-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Wow I really hope it's not one of our guys (though I highly doubt it). As if the media hasn't taken enough shots at this team already...

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 11:32 PM
He's not a blogger. He's an author of a major steriod book, who could have been a consultant since it WAS an appeal.I know who he is, and more importantly, who he is not. The participants in an appeal are clearly spelled out, and Will Carrol is not among them.
The Health Policy Advisory Committee (“HPAC”) is responsible for administering and overseeing the Program. HPAC shall be composed of one medical representative (“Medical Representative”) from each of the Parties (both of whom shall be licensed physicians expert in the diagnosis and treatment of chemical use and abuse problems), and one other representative each from the Office of the Commissioner and the Association (both of whom shall be licensed attorneys).

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm praying that if this isn't just a rumor, that it isn't a White Sox player. Imagine how that would tarnish this Championship.

I don't even want to think about it. :(:

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm praying that if this isn't just a rumor, that it isn't a White Sox player. Imagine how that would tarnish this Championship.

I don't even want to think about it. :(:I'm assuming your shadow scares you, too. Relax.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 01:13 AM
I call BS. Will Carrol can't talk about it because he was involved in the appeals process??? *** was Will Carrol doing in the appeals process?Somehow IQ's have dropped precipitously in the last day. :o:

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm assuming your shadow scares you, too. Relax.I'm just sayin'...

Joosh
10-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Somehow IQ's have dropped precipitously in the last day. :o:

I have no concern that this supposed positive is a Sox player, but since there was a blurb about it in USA Today Sports, I thought it may have some merit.

Oh, and West, as Security guard do they give you a tazer/stun gun, or did you have to go out and buy a BB gun?

SoxSpeed22
10-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Wasn't it also a "rumor" that Clemens and Damon tested positive?
:tool :moron http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4240.jpghttp://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/philadelphiaphils/Kruk.jpg
"Dammit! We're trying everything we can here!"

HotelWhiteSox
10-29-2005, 01:20 AM
This kind of scares me. Though we know we can't directly equate steroids to home runs or hitting in general, the obvious guy that would be on this team is Rowand (though he would be the starting OF on our team that would give the least backlash). Not only the HR number drop, but he's looked horrible at the plate for months, which could also be something really bothering him? I just hope it's no member of the White Sox, period. In the past, I've gotten excited about steroid rumors, finding it more juicier (no pun intended) than a soap opera, but I just hope that the whole thing is not true at all in this case. Then again, there are also guys on the other team's that it could be easily be (I'd guess Damon, Finley, or some scrub Red Sox outfielder - pure speculation). The thing that worries me is that they can narrow it down to an "AL playoff team", but can't dismiss that it wasn't the WS Champion. Then again, it could've also been narrowed down to the WS Champion.

Please please please please please don't have this be related to the White Sox, no more black eyes on the organization. Before the parade I felt that this whole experience was too good to be true, but it really sank in after the great parade and rally. I know it wouldn't change the fact that we won a championship, the highest pinnacle, the ultimate goal, but the media will chomp away at the bit to run with this (even if the player has obviously been off the substance since early in the season or ST), especially after the Sox made them all look like idiots. Don't let this rumor be true, don't tarnish the best team in White Sox history, one of the best teams in the history of the postseason, no more "scandals"!

Unless it's like Borchard, who would care about that? :wink:

Tragg
10-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Wasn't it also a "rumor" that Clemens and Damon tested positive?
I'd say:
It's probably BS
Even if true, if it involved a Sox player, he could have put in a more tittilating hint than "AL playoff team" by saying "world series participant"
I have no doubt that Clemens and Damon are clean; I also have no doubt that if they weren't, MLB wouldn't tell us.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh, and West, as Security guard do they give you a tazer/stun gun, or did you have to go out and buy a BB gun?No, all I have are nukes.

OEO Magglio
10-29-2005, 02:14 AM
To add to this rumor, someone "close" to the situation says the roider is NOT on the White Sox.

ChiSoxRowand
10-29-2005, 02:36 AM
They were talking about this at Soxtalk yesterday. I won't believe this until I see it. Arent the announcements of Roger Clemens and Johnny Damons postive tests supposed to be announced Monday?

CLR01
10-29-2005, 02:54 AM
No, all I have are nukes.

I thought it was stale coffee and a day old newspaper??? When did you get a raise?

Banix12
10-29-2005, 03:00 AM
When did people here start listening to Will Carroll? I'll believe it when I see it, this guy has not been the most trustworthy writer as far as accuracy in his sources in the past. I cite the entire trade deadline and his "sources" on Buehrle's health problem in spring training as evidence.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 03:01 AM
I thought it was stale coffee and a day old newspaper??? When did you get a raise?Security in general demands better weapons these days. :cool:

Jjav829
10-29-2005, 10:14 AM
I heard this too. I hear they will be releasing this player's name when they release the names of the 50 other players who tested positive. :rolleyes:

jabrch
10-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Will Carroll...

He has no more legitimacy in my eyes than do many of the posters here. In fact, he has less legitimacy than many of the posters here.

Hendu
10-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I smell a skunk. Firstly, why would a baseball writer be part of MLB's appeal process? And if he is, why wouldn't MLB punish him for leaking this story?

Also, there's no way MLB would let that PR nightmare happen. I'm sure that they time the tests so that, say, a World Series MVP (for example) isn't disclosed as a steroid user after the playoffs. Imagine the black eye that would be for baseball.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
10-29-2005, 11:52 AM
To add to this rumor, someone "close" to the situation says the roider is NOT on the White Sox.

First of all, I remember when 50 players supposedly tested positive earlier in the season and then turned out to be huge names like Felix Heredia and Michael Morse. And second of all, where are people getting their inside sources and people close to the situation?

Dan Mega
10-29-2005, 01:08 PM
First of all, I remember when 50 players supposedly tested positive earlier in the season and then turned out to be huge names like Felix Heredia and Michael Morse.

New rumor: Its Sammy Sosa

OEO Magglio
10-29-2005, 01:26 PM
First of all, I remember when 50 players supposedly tested positive earlier in the season and then turned out to be huge names like Felix Heredia and Michael Morse. And second of all, where are people getting their inside sources and people close to the situation?

The person close to the situation I read about in some article. I have no clue where people are getting all this info from though.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
10-29-2005, 03:43 PM
The person close to the situation I read about in some article. I have no clue where people are getting all this info from though.

Do you have a link to this article?

MarySwiss
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Do you have a link to this article?
Follow the original link. There's an update link to the right you can click on, but there's really not much info there. However, I think that's the one referred to.

HotelWhiteSox
10-29-2005, 05:19 PM
I heard this too. I hear they will be releasing this player's name when they release the names of the 50 other players who tested positive. :rolleyes:

They don't have HGH testing yet

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Follow the original link. There's an update link to the right you can click on, but there's really not much info there. However, I think that's the one referred to.
This is what that link says:

Update on Steroid Truth & Rumors

Yesterday's post about a mystery man who has tested positive for steroids sparked a few items that warrant mentioning, so here's an update:

· A source close to the rumor (mysterious, I know) says the juicer is not on the White Sox. As mentioned yesterday, I certainly hope that's the truth.

· Baseball Musings analyzes the clues and educatedly guesses the player is Steve Finley:

"I thought Finley was through after the 1998 season. He put together back-to-back years of low OBAs. He was 33, and it's not at all unusual for players to disappear from the majors at that age. But instead, he goes to Arizona, starts getting on base again, and starts hitting home runs like he never did before. He also played a long time with Ken Caminiti."

· From the comments section of Musings' post, No Sense Worrying (a Yankees blog) says Sheffield doesn't have an agent. If she's right (and I think she is), this excludes Sheff from the conversation. Again, the original Sports Weekly tidbit:

"An American League outfielder on a postseason team tested positive for steroids, according to his AGENT, but the player is appealing the results."

· Deadspin has a poll where you can vote on the mystery 'roider. Right now Sheffield is leading the way with 31% of the vote and Damon is second with 20%

:dunno:

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/mrirrelevant/entries/2167

MarySwiss
10-29-2005, 06:56 PM
This is what that link says:

:dunno:

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/mrirrelevant/entries/2167

Like I said, there's really not much info there.

Madvora
10-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I think that's pretty irresponsible to put Matsui's picture up next to this story. It is the reader's responsibility to read the whole thing, but having anyone's picture up there on a "rumor" story isn't too good.

Brewski
10-29-2005, 11:00 PM

I just remembered. I need to get my carpets cleaned.

Soxzilla
10-30-2005, 12:37 AM
That and your pants after ****ting them, you jag.

Brewski
10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
That and your pants after ****ting them, you jag.

You a buddy of his?

gobears1987
10-31-2005, 12:20 PM

I just remembered. I need to get my carpets cleaned. It's a jockocracy out there. There is a plethora of jock idiots who know nothing trying to report news.

Tekijawa
10-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Why does it have to be a big name, or even a starter? Or even a guy who played in the playoffs? It says the guy played of a team in the playoffs. Judging by past Positive reports it could be a September call up or maybe even a Minor leaguer from one of the 8 teams.

skottyj242
11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
According to rotoworld it was Matt Lawton:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

34 Inch Stick
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
He must have found some leftover viles when he took Sammy's locker last year.

Settembrini
11-02-2005, 04:21 PM
I know who he is, and more importantly, who he is not. The participants in an appeal are clearly spelled out, and Will Carrol is not among them.

Nothing in these rules prevent an outsider like Carrol from consulting the defendant. I wouldn't be surprised if he consulted Lawton.