PDA

View Full Version : No career years

downstairs
10-28-2005, 05:52 PM
A caller into B+B on The Score mentioned that none of the White Sox really had a career year this year.

(Other than Garland, that is)

I looked into this, and indeed none of our starting hitters had all-around highs in any category... and our pitchers, individually, played to their norms or even slightly lower.

I think this serves as a testament to how great of a TEAM this really is.

If you go through past World Series winners... or even just playoff teams... you'll see a bunch of stars having knock-out years.

downstairs
10-28-2005, 05:55 PM
And another point... assuming we keep this team together well enough...

I think looking at these players for their "stats" may fool everyone yet again.

Why the heck WON'T we have another great team?

We dont NEED our players to do anything but play near their averages... and we're the same TEAM.

mike squires
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
That reminds me of the 83 team a lot. Other than Hoyt, nobody really had a carrer year. Kitty, Fisk and Luzinski had good seasons but I wouldn't call it a career year. Hopefully our 2006 will be better than their 84!

The Wimperoo
10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Cliff Politte
Neal Cotts
Dustin Hermanson

All of those guys had career years

Tragg
10-28-2005, 06:05 PM
That reminds me of the 83 team a lot. Other than Hoyt, nobody really had a carrer year. Kitty, Fisk and Luzinski had good seasons but I wouldn't call it a career year. Hopefully our 2006 will be better than their 84!

Kittle absolutely had a career year in 1983. He never came close to replicating that production.

Datusn had a career year, Bannister did to, and Barojas had one of his 2 good major league years that year.

Anyway, I think we need to work to improve the team for next season - our competition will certainly try to improve themselves. Just a few judicious moves.

You could argue Garland, Jenks and Cotts had career years (normal progression of talented young playres, so they could get even better), and Politte and HErmanson, if not career years, among their best.

maurice
10-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Talented young players like Jenks, Cotts, and Garland don't count.

Pollitte and Hermanson had career years.

Contreras improved a lot, but I think he's gotten over a mental hurdle and will keep it together.

Konerko had a career-high OBP and OPS, so he could drop off a bit in those areas. (He'll drop off a lot if he leaves the Cell.)

Dye, Podsednik, Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez, and Vizcaino did about what I expected them to do.

Rowand, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Pierzynski, and Marte each have the talent to improve significantly in 2006.

Thomas obviously did worse than his career numbers, due to lack of ABs.

Everett did much worse than his career numbers, and he'll probably be replaced by a much better hitter. I suspect this will be the biggest area of improvement.

bringfrankback
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Everett did much worse than his career numbers, and he'll probably be replaced by a much better hitter. I suspect this will be the biggest area of improvement.

Personally i thought Everett had a great first half. At times when Paulie wasnt doing too much he was carrying us. Second half he tailed off a lot but still.

Fuller_Schettman
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Why the heck WON'T we have another great team?

We dont NEED our players to do anything but play near their averages... and we're the same TEAM.

The key in 2006 will be injuries. If we can avoid them, there is no reason to think we won't get back to the postseason...

hose
10-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Politte and Hermanson probably had career years.

MRKARNO
10-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Iguchi and Jenks had career years! Brandon McCarthy too!

Considering it was all of their first years, that was not so hard to accomplish.

StockdaleForVeep
10-29-2005, 03:43 PM
A caller into B+B on The Score mentioned that none of the White Sox really had a career year this year.

(Other than Garland, that is)

I looked into this, and indeed none of our starting hitters had all-around highs in any category... and our pitchers, individually, played to their norms or even slightly lower.

I think this serves as a testament to how great of a TEAM this really is.

If you go through past World Series winners... or even just playoff teams... you'll see a bunch of stars having knock-out years.

Contreras reached a career high in wins and second lowest era in his career second only to his debut season
Cotts also had career numbers in relief

fquaye149
10-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Politte and Hermanson probably had career years.

Are Politte and Hermanson's aberrations canceled out by Marte and Vizcaino playing considerably worse than their career numbers?

IDK

TDog
10-29-2005, 06:40 PM
A writer outside of Chicago wrote that most of the pitchers had career years.

I think the term is used too much by too many people who have too much confidence in their ability to understand baseball. When a player's career is over, you can look at his career year. Ted Williams had a career year in 1941. Dick Allen had a career year in 1972. No one phrased it in those terms at the time. Maybe Mark Prior has a career year in 2003. It's too early to tell. Nobody knows whether Garland and Contreras turned the corner in their careers. Right now it's just a guess being made by some of the same people who picked the Sox to finish third or fourth this year.

batmanZoSo
10-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I think we need to improve the bullpen. Politte and Cotts almost surely had career years and either one or both of them could be a lot worse next year, most likely Politte because he's older and can't really get better. I would like to get another guy like Hermanson who's dominant in middle relief and can close if needed. That might be enough to offset any downslides.

Garland is Garland, this is who he is now. The rest of the rotation just needs to stay healthy. If that happens and McCarthy comes around, we're looking at the best rotation in the majors by far.

Lineup (players in bold are who I think can improve on '05):

Podsednik: career year was his rookie year if anything. We likely got what he's usually going to produce. Could've done much better without trips to DL. He's gotten smarter at the plate every year.
Iguchi: Didn't surprise anyone and take the league by storm. Sacrificed a lot of numbers hitting behind Pods. Should benefit from a year of ABs againt the American League. He can defnitely improve in power numbers.
Dye: Candidate for drop-off only because of health issues. Still relatively young and has had better years in the past. I would be wary to bet money on him staying completely healthy all season, though.
Konerko: May or may not be back, but he's in his prime. If healthy, he can put up numbers close or slightly better than '05 for the next few years. Overall, this was the usual Konerko.
Everett: Probably won't be back, but could replicate '05 numbers.
Pierzynski: Possibly had a career year with the long ball, but most certainly not with batting AVG. So he could improve and go back to .300.
Crede: At minimum he had an average year. Minor league stud, could have a monster year with confidence gained in the playoffs.
Uribe: Possibly had a career year in '04, probably an average year for him in '05. Like Crede, he has big time potential if he can become more selective and more consistent with his swing.

If Frank does come back and somehow manages to play a full year, that would almost surely be an improvement over Everett in the areas of OBP, HR, RBI and general lineup protection for other hitters.