PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else make crazy promises to GOD?

Bo Bice 4 Pope
10-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat I’m in! No, not Noah’s Ark, but over the season, in the Playoffs, World Series® etc… I’m talking about when you’re down on your knees with your hands folded sweat poring down your face and you say “GOD, please let them get this last out/let this runner score/etc! and I’ll do such-and-such” I know I can’t be the only one! Aaaaaaaanyway to make a long story short I’m taking my ailing Mother to church every Sunday for until end of next season! Also I may have sworn to give up smoking! We’ll see how that one goes!! WOOF!!

Anyhow this is an open forum to discuss any promises you might have made to GOD to let the Sox win the series. YES!!

kittle42
10-28-2005, 09:18 PM
I asked this god fellow to help out, but he was too busy listening to people who actually needed help.

Malgar 12
10-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I asked this god fellow to help out, but he was too busy listening to people who actually needed help.

God by definition, can't be busy, can he?

jabrch
10-29-2005, 12:46 PM

"Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

bobowhite
10-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I used to do things like that, but I decided it was inappropriate and this year didn't do it at all. I do have other things to pray for.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 02:33 PM
The Sox made it to October without Divine Intervention, why start now?

Well, aside from those nuns that always come to the games.

Fredsox
10-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Personally I'm not certain that the Creator of the Universe involves him/herself in athletic events, but I read a neat story in the paper this morning. A 77-year old dude said that he prayed to God that he would live to see the White Sox win a World Series. "Now" he continued "I'll need to be careful crossing the street."

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 03:42 PM
But, to paraphrase, baseball is the closest thing to religion as you can get. You never hear of a football field being referred to as "a cathedral".

Only in baseball.

MarySwiss
10-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I didn't make any promises, but at crucial moments I folded my hands together in a praying motion and whispered things like, "Please God, Please God, I'm basically a good person, I don't ask for much, so PLEEEEEEZZZZE!"

So far, Ray Walston has not shown up at my door. :D:

TheRallyCrede
10-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I stopped asking God to influence sporting events at age 8.

itsnotrequired
10-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat I’m in! No, not Noah’s Ark, but over the season, in the Playoffs, World Series® etc… I’m talking about when you’re down on your knees with your hands folded sweat poring down your face and you say “GOD, please let them get this last out/let this runner score/etc! and I’ll do such-and-such” I know I can’t be the only one! Aaaaaaaanyway to make a long story short I’m taking my ailing Mother to church every Sunday for until end of next season! Also I may have sworn to give up smoking! We’ll see how that one goes!! WOOF!!

Anyhow this is an open forum to discuss any promises you might have made to GOD to let the Sox win the series. YES!!

:?:

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 01:49 AM
God and the White Sox. I don't know about this. If I was praying in October it may have been for children with cancer or peace in our time.

HotelWhiteSox
10-30-2005, 01:55 AM
I stopped asking God to influence sporting events at age 8.

Don't remember the age, but ditto on that setiment.

RadioheadRocks
10-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Didn't make any promises to God, but I did take a Tibetan Personality Test that was emailed to me by one of my office colleagues. You know, one of those things that has four questions and assesses your personality based on the answers you give... i.e.: rank the 5 animals in the order of your preference (cow, tiger, sheep, horse, pig), write a word that describes each of the following (dog, cat, rat, coffee, sea), think of someone important to you and match them to the following colors (yellow, orange, red, white, green), write down your favorite number and favorite day of the week. You're also supposed to make a wish before taking the test. You then scroll down and it explains what your answers are supposed to mean; one that had me laughing out loud was the word I used for coffee was how I interpret "intimacy" (to keep it PG-13)... I used the word MOCHA!!! LOL. You're then supposed to forward the email to 10 people for your wish to come true. I normally don't do these but I'm sure you all can guess what my wish was and it indeed came true!

2005 WORLD CHAMPION WHITE SOX!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

EDIT: BTW... check out the times on my post here and the posts right before mine... the time change is SOOOOO fun!!!

Flight #24
10-30-2005, 07:57 AM
I did see a blurb in the Cubune about one of the Sox owners who said he'd askied God to let him see the Sox in the series before he died. His next comment was "So know I have to be extra careful when I cross the street".

:redneck

Bo Bice 4 Pope
11-01-2005, 11:27 PM
you mean I'm the only one who'd rather see the sox win it all than peace on earth!! hey now I have something new to pray to god about huh?? well like my mother used to say "it takes all kinds"!! now let's sing that old tune ONE MORE TIME!!

batmanZoSo
11-01-2005, 11:51 PM
It never came to that, we dominated.

The Dude
11-02-2005, 12:04 AM

I personally think this is a type of "politically incorrect" forum thread that used to be at WSI. Religion & politics arent great topics for a baseball/sports board, but hey.....maybe thats just me!

:?::o::rolleyes:

gobears1987
11-02-2005, 12:15 AM
I stopped asking God to influence sporting events at age 8.The last time I seriously prayed for the outcome of a game was game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. No joke, I took out a siddurim and started reciting the Shema during the 7th. I don't need to say what happened in the 8th.

pdimas
11-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Earlier in the year (in June) I lost my best friend, my dog Chunk. I'm sure someone scooped him up and he is safe somewhere but still not a day goes by that I don't think about the little fur ball. Now I prayed and prayed that he would find his way back to me to no avail. Finally I said fine if I don't get Chunk back at least let my White Sox win the World Series to alleviate some of the pain.

I still miss the Chunkster but I am more at pease with it now.

Hitmen77
11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm sure there were alot of crazy promises made. Me? I just kept thinking of this funny picture and caption when I thought about "praying" for a Sox win:
http://www.cubssuckclub.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery&page=inline&id=2&catid=1&limitstart=0

Dickie Kerr
11-03-2005, 11:15 PM
http://www.cubssuckclub.com/images/gallery/Cubs_Spirit.jpg
:tongue:

Lip Man 1
11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I think the Almighty (assuming there is something that oversees everything) has a little more on his plate then interfering with a human sporting activity however basically what I told Him (or Her or It) was that after the win over the Red Sox everything was gravy and that I wouldn't be asking for anymore 'help' for the team.

Anything else the Sox got would be appreciated but not 'required' and I left it at that... thanking Him for giving me the chance to see a memorable season and finally a post season series win.

Lip

kittle42
11-04-2005, 01:31 PM
I think the Almighty (assuming there is something that oversees everything) has a little more on his plate then interfering with a human sporting activity

Actually, looking at the world and its myriad problems, maybe this being is too interested in sports!

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Please, God. Make these ridiculous trade threads stop!

Iwritecode
11-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I was praying to the Baseball gods.

Which of course are completely seperate from the Hunting gods and Camping gods... :cool:

The Racehorse
11-04-2005, 08:51 PM
... not any crazy promises... not any sane promises.

GoSox2K3
11-04-2005, 10:27 PM
While I really believe that God has better things to do than play favorites with baseball teams, this thread reminds me of a thread on this site 2 years ago when the Cubs were up 3 games to 1 against the Marlins and looked like a lock for the NL pennant.

I remember some discussion devolving into questionning whether the man upstairs is indeed a Cub fan and I could have sworn that someone replied saying something like "maybe He's not a Cub fan, but just has a sense of humor - stay tuned, this isn't over yet". Ha ha! Whoever said that really sounds prophetic in light of what has happened to Cub fans since they took that 3-1 lead into Game 5 of the '03 NLCS.

Since I don't like to mix religion and baseball, all I have to say is that what has happened in Chicago over the past 2 years is poetic justice for all the crap we had to put up with from Cub fans in 2003. All the comments about the Sox being irrelevant, Sox fans being losers, Sox should be contracted, Sox can't compete, nobody cares about the Sox, Sox fans have to root for the Cubs, etc. :rolleyes: Where are all these smug Cub fans now? They're all still in hiding barely able to accept what has happened!

What has happened in the last 2 years shows that the underdog can prevail. It's also a lesson to me that fortunes can reverse quickly - and that we shouldn't let ourselves get too full of ourselves like our bretheren to the North.