PDA

View Full Version : American League 2006

Fenway
10-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Next season looks like it maybe the best season in years. A quick overview

EAST
Boston and New York will be in the hunt again just because of spending with all their warts they both still won 95 games in 05

The unknown, will the Comcast of Canada ( Rogers Cable ) increase their spending in the Blue Jays? They are not that far away.

WEST

Anaheim will spend this off season and if JR doesn't resign Paulie, he will most likely wind up with the Angels.

CENTRAL

The Indians will be tough if they can play well from the start, though I see them more for a Wild Card

Overall this on paper promises to be a lot of fun

ChiSoxRowand
10-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Don't forget Oakland and Minnesota. The Orioles could spend some money too.

Fenway
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Don't forget Oakland and Minnesota. The Orioles could spend some money too.

The Orioles won't win ANYTHING as long as Angelos is running team

Twins are going to be weaker ( no Tori Hunter? )

Ya the A's maybe a factor

Red Sox get a nice bonus next year TEN with the Royals ( the only Central team we play more than 7 )

SOXintheBURGH
10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
The defending American League/World Champion Chicago White Sox will be looking to repeat, too.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 04:40 PM
The Orioles won't win ANYTHING as long as Angelos is running team

Twins are going to be weaker ( no Tori Hunter? )

Ya the A's maybe a factor

Red Sox get a nice bonus next year TEN with the Royals ( the only Central team we play more than 7 )You won't hear from the Twins for the next 3-5 years. Their time is done.

The Rangers could make some noise if they can ever get decent pitching. But I don't see them doing what is necessary, i.e. trading away some of their offense to get the pitching they need.

TheOldRoman
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
The Rangers could make some noise if they can ever get decent pitching. But I don't see them doing what is necessary, i.e. trading away some of their offense to get the pitching they need.
Didn't you hear? They are going to get Aaron Rowand and El Duque for Mark Tiexiera.

Tragg
10-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Texas could use some Defense too.
That was so, so key for us.
I don't see Cleveland as a contender next year: career years from Milwood and Howry in 2005.

maurice
10-28-2005, 06:27 PM
The top story in MLB should be whether the defending champs will be able to reload / improve their offense for another title run in 2006. In a remarkable turn of events, the Sox pitching staff requires only minor tinkering. Very few teams can say that.

The story in the AL East is whether they will be able to acquire the pitching to match up with the top teams in the Central and the West. Recently, they've blown huge sums of money on overrated and relatively unproductive pitchers on the downside of their careers.

The story in the NL is whether they'll be able to shift the balance of power away from the AL after 2 consecutive and embarrassing WS sweeps.

antitwins13
10-28-2005, 07:37 PM
It's a little early to start talking about this due to the fact the hot stove league hasn't really started yet, but look for the Blue Jays to make a run for the wild card this year.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Rogers Cable (owners of the Black Jays) pledged to spend $21 million over the next three seasons. This should mean the Jays' payroll will rise $7million next year.

If it happens.

The Jays continue to suffer because of atrocious pitching. After Halladay, the rotation and bullpen are both mediocre = hello third place.

Banix12
10-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Rogers Cable (owners of the Black Jays) pledged to spend $21 million over the next three seasons. This should mean the Jays' payroll will rise $7million next year.

If it happens.

The Jays continue to suffer because of atrocious pitching. After Halladay, the rotation and bullpen are both mediocre = hello third place.

I don't think the pitching is that awful. Some of the young guys probably just need time. McGowan and Bush look like they might develop into something good. Lilly is just awful though.

Realistically the AL should continue to be dominant next year. The way I look at it the Second tier teams in the AL (Texas, Minnesota, Detroit, Toronto, Seattle) would probably be in the playoffs or at least contending to the last weeks if they were in the National League this past season.

The only NL team that intrigues me so far, pre-hot stove, is the Marlins. Just because I think Girardi might be a pretty good manager.

doublem23
10-30-2005, 06:42 PM

If it happens.

Gustavo Chacin looked real good in a few outings I saw him in, can't comment on the year as a whole, but I agree, after those 2, the Jays are very thin.

The_Floridian
10-30-2005, 06:46 PM
You won't hear from the Twins for the next 3-5 years. Their time is done.

I'm not so sure about that. They've got some good young players and their pitching staff is solid, and don't forget they want to contend so the city will give them a stadium. The hottest rumor in the pipeline right now would be them dealing Torii Hunter to the Yanks for Robinson Cano, which would be pretty brilliant IMO. They're going to go all out to get Bill Mueller, and if they can add another outfielder, they should contend.

Granted, even with all of that I still see them finishing third. But I'm not ready to consider them dead in the water just yet.

antitwins13
10-30-2005, 06:53 PM

I don't know about the Twins being done. We say that every year and they always have a Justin Morneau, Johan Santana, or Lew Ford in their farm system to step in.

gobears1987
10-30-2005, 07:57 PM
The defending American League/World Champion Chicago White Sox will be looking to repeat, too.He implied that we win the division when he said that The Indians are a Wildcard team and that the Twins will be weaker.

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm not so sure about that. They've got some good young players and their pitching staff is solid, and don't forget they want to contend so the city will give them a stadium. The hottest rumor in the pipeline right now would be them dealing Torii Hunter to the Yanks for Robinson Cano, which would be pretty brilliant IMO. They're going to go all out to get Bill Mueller, and if they can add another outfielder, they should contend.

Granted, even with all of that I still see them finishing third. But I'm not ready to consider them dead in the water just yet.Pohlad will never put up the dough. They're going to have to suck for a while as they rebuild. As good a job as Ryan has done, it takes time. They're going to start losing their veterans over the next couple of years. Even Santana may walk once he's eligible. They'd be smart to trade him now.

ChiSoxRowand
10-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Pohlad will never put up the dough. They're going to have to suck for a while as they rebuild. As good a job as Ryan has done, it takes time. They're going to start losing their veterans over the next couple of years. Even Santana may walk once he's eligible. They'd be smart to trade him now.

They just signed him to a big extension.

samram
10-30-2005, 11:34 PM

Agreed on both points. The Twins magic ran out. The guys with whom they tried to plug holes this year didn't get it done, which was in stark contrast to the prior four years.

As for the Rangers, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer Blalock right to our beloved Sox for one of the top four starting pitchers. I'm not offering an opinion of such a deal, but the Sox starters are probably within the price range for which Texas would like to add pitching.

goofymsfan
10-31-2005, 12:15 AM
The Mariners biggest problem is going to be pitching, both starting and in the bull pen.

For their starting pitching they have Felix who will be under a short leash especially with whom was hired as Pitching coach for the M's. The other likely starter could be Jamie Moyer, the soft tossing lefty, that was successful at home but not so much else where. That still leaves 3 spots in the rotation to fill. The M's still have Joel Pineiro and Gil Meche, but neither have been consistant nor lived up to his potential.

Catchers seem to be a problem for the M's as well. Torrealba did a fair job, but it remains to be seen how he will do for a full season. Rivera may get the nod for a back up, but honestly, he needs more time to learn in the minors.

The Bullpen is not in much better shape. Retaining Eddie Guardado is still iffy at this point. Can Soriano remain healthy and regain his velocity? Can Thornton gain some control on his pitching? Can Putz and Mateo and Sherrill work in Middle relief to set up? Lots of questions to fill for the bull pen.

They also need to find a Left Fielder. Mike Morse might be an answer there but it remains to be seen if he can pick up a new position. Raul can split time out there. The bench is fairly weak currently.

I do think the M's will be in better shape to start 2006 then they were to start 2005. They have dropped a lot of dead weight, but still have a ways to go to be in any sort of contention. My guess is that a 500 season will be considered a successful one.