PDA

View Full Version : We're supposed to like the Cubs now?

PatK
10-28-2005, 04:27 PM
I keep hearing all these idiots in the media saying how now that we won the World Series, that as Chicagoans, we should be hoping that the Cubs win one soon so that they can experience the joy and emotion that us Sox fans have.

Has anyone else heard this bs? What are your opinions.

Mine is that we should hate them more. These are people that openly rooted against us during the playoffs. These are people that with every win, claimed our victories (and WS Title) are "tainted" because of controversial calls. These are people that are acting as if our title is something less because of low ratings.

I want it all again next year so we can rub it in their faces.

What are your thoughts?

mrs. hendu
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
My thoughts are the same as always - there's only one team I care about and it's the White Sox. I don't hate the Cubs, but I also don't care about them. If they win, they win and it will probably mean they did a good job. I don't mind the team - it's their fans that are weird, but I don't care about them either.

SoxFan76
10-28-2005, 04:36 PM
All I have to say is....

NA NA NA NA NA!!!!! :neener:

Longest World Series drougt: Chicago Cubs
Shortest World Series drought: Chicago White Sox!!!!

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
My thoughts are: I don't care what the Cubs do. I root for the White Sox. I am as interested in the Cubs as much as I am in any other baseball team who aren't the White Sox.

TomBradley72
10-28-2005, 04:44 PM
My thoughts are: I still hate the Cubs as much as I ever have. I consider them a rival...and because we are co-located geographically....I am forced to interact with their obnoxious, ignorant fans and have the media shove their propaganda down my throat...and I don't expect that to change.

To me part of the fun of sports...is the rivalries. Our rivalries with Minnesota, Cleveland and Detroit are starting to heat up a little....but for now the team I hate the most is the little blue teddy bears to the north.

I wish them zero success.

Iwritecode
10-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a feeling that the rivalry isn’t going to be as big a thing has it has been in years past. Now that the proverbial chip has been knocked off our shoulders and we’ve achieved the ultimate goal.

Let the Cubs have the attendance, the national recognition and all the celebrity fans. We have something better than all of that.

I'm not going to root for them but I don't think it will faze me if they do well next year. IMHO it's always been a race to get the title and the first one there wins. We are the first ones here. :D:

downstairs
10-28-2005, 04:56 PM
To me, it was always a race to see who would get the World Series Championship first. That is all that matters.

I hated the Cubs only because we were in the same boat, trying to get that first ring FOR CHICAGO in 80+ years. I just wanted to know we did it first for this city.

I never cared about their stadium, our stadium, who gets the most bandwagon fans and when.

Now none of it matters. Even if they do win a World Series, it won't mean nearly as much to the city. It'll merely be "yet another championship for Chicago". It'll never be "THE" championship that this one is and always will be.

clogoodie
10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
I have a feeling that the rivalry isn’t going to be as big a thing has it has been in years past. Now that the proverbial chip has been knocked off our shoulders and we’ve achieved the ultimate goal.

Let the Cubs have the attendance, the national recognition and all the celebrity fans. We have something better than all of that.

I'm not going to root for them but I don't think it will faze me if they do well next year. IMHO it's always been a race to get the title and the first one there wins. We are the first ones here. :D:

Thats my thinking too. We did it first...we've now proved ourselves to be superior, and nobody can deny that. As for the future...I feel like they'll just become irrelevant...that I'll just be able to ignore them and their fans. They simply don't matter. It might be the euphoria from winning the World Series, but I really hope to completely ignore them in the upcoming years.

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 05:11 PM
My thoughts are: I don't care what the Cubs do. I root for the White Sox. I am as interested in the Cubs as much as I am in any other baseball team who aren't the White Sox.

I'm pretty much on the same page. I do get a chuckle though when over-zealous fans talk about how the Cubs are the best team ever, blah, blah, blah and then act surprised when they don't pull it off. I'm sure there are plenty of people like that for all the MLB teams but I see it more for the Cubs, simply being in Chicago.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Are you ready to listen to "that was then, this is now." "We've won more recently, so we're better." No sir, I see no good that can come of a Cubs championship. The Sox would be right back to being an afterthought.

SoxSpeed22
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
My thoughts are that I saw this coming from about 6 miles away after the Sox won (Ha! no more deep pink when I say that!:D: ). 97 years is a long time, 88 years is a long time too. I was at the quad cities, and the celebration was pretty lame here. I personally, did not want to see them win before us, but now, if they win, they win. Unfortunately, they would attack with their win, much like Boston did. Which brings up another point.
Since we don't want to be like Boston, I ask that we rub it in ONLY to Cubs, Indians, Twins and Tigers fans. That is all.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Best sign seen during the World Series:
'Bears in '85, Sox in '05. The Cubs? Only in a dream..'

Lip

SOXPHILE
10-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Who ? COOBS ? What's this team you speak of called ? CAABS ? Huh ? Oh, yeah, the CUBS ! Seriously though, the answer is NO ! I will not now, or ever like them or their fans. I despise everything about them. The Chicago White Sox are World Champions. I have that to easily bat away whatever the Cub fan ilk say to me. My job just got a million times easier than it already was with those words: The White Sox are World Champions. Get ready for Cub fans to start with the whole "Now it's our turn" crap, since the Red Sox and White Sox have won the last 2 World Series. Screw them. I am so happy about what has transpired over the last few weeks, culminating with Wednesday night. Let them cry and sob and whine about how they deserve it next season. My level of euphoria about the Sox does not lessen my contempt and disdain for the blue & red sheep. I just don't fret about them as much.

maurice
10-28-2005, 05:42 PM
I keep hearing all these idiots in the media saying how now that we won the World Series, that as Chicagoans, we should be hoping that the Cubs win one soon

That's impossible. I'll be too busy rooting for the Sox to win another one.

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Thats my thinking too. We did it first...we've now proved ourselves to be superior, and nobody can deny that. As for the future...I feel like they'll just become irrelevant...that I'll just be able to ignore them and their fans. They simply don't matter. It might be the euphoria from winning the World Series, but I really hope to completely ignore them in the upcoming years.

I'm with both of you guys. I think I lost my hate for the cubs. Granted, I don't like them now...but I don't hate them. I'm indifferent now. I really wish that now we can get rid of all the "cubs suck" **** on our side of town and focus only on OUR team, the World Champion Chicago White Sox.

ajtokarz
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Best sign seen during the World Series:
'Bears in '85, Sox in '05. The Cubs? Only in a dream..'

Lip

Be nice......the Cubs won in '08. Numerically if it is posted like this, the Cubs truly are greater than the Sox.

PatK
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm with both of you guys. I think I lost my hate for the cubs. Granted, I don't like them now...but I don't hate them. I'm indifferent now. I really wish that now we can get rid of all the "cubs suck" **** on our side of town and focus only on OUR team, the World Champion Chicago White Sox.

I'm kind of feeling that way- I just don't care for them, but I don't hate them. But I'm definately not going to root for them.

It's the Cubs FANS that I can't stand.

Soxfanspcu11
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
You know, the thing is, I'm a bit torn here. Not whether or not I want the Cubs to win, I hope they continue to lose forever, but I am torn as to how to react when in comes to Cubs fans. In the past few days I have seen posts on here from fellow WSI'ers that were taken from Cubs messageboards, and many if not ALL the posts were completely mean spirited. I don't want to stoop to their level, I would much rather take the classy high road. Here is a perfect example from my life. During the summer while not at the park and watching games at local establishments, I frequently encountered cubs "fans" cheering AGAINST the sox, despite who they were playing. One day we arrived and the Cubs game was on TV and the Cubs were winning before blowing the game as they usually do. My friend started to cheer against the Cubs as a bit of revenge and I stopped him, I said "Don't resort to their level, it's not worth it".

There are so many common misconceptions about sox fans already through the media that I don't want to add to it in any way. Of course I will continue to hope the Cubs never have a chance in hell, but I don't want to go around expressing that like these jealous, bitter Cubs fans.

Classiness is a virtue to be admired and the high road is a bridge anchored by a world series trophy.

Dick Allen
10-28-2005, 06:18 PM
I will continue to hate the Cubs as much as I ever have, and none of these dunces in the media will convince me otherwise. As long as their idiot fans continue to infest this city and as long as the mediots continue to shove them down our throats, my feelings will not change.

white sox bill
10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
You know, the thing is, I'm a bit torn here. Not whether or not I want the Cubs to win, I hope they continue to lose forever, but I am torn as to how to react when in comes to Cubs fans. In the past few days I have seen posts on here from fellow WSI'ers that were taken from Cubs messageboards, and many if not ALL the posts were completely mean spirited. I don't want to stoop to their level, I would much rather take the classy high road. Here is a perfect example from my life. During the summer while not at the park and watching games at local establishments, I frequently encountered cubs "fans" cheering AGAINST the sox, despite who they were playing. One day we arrived and the Cubs game was on TV and the Cubs were winning before blowing the game as they usually do. My friend started to cheer against the Cubs as a bit of revenge and I stopped him, I said "Don't resort to their level, it's not worth it".

There are so many common misconceptions about sox fans already through the media that I don't want to add to it in any way. Of course I will continue to hope the Cubs never have a chance in hell, but I don't want to go around expressing that like these jealous, bitter Cubs fans.

Classiness is a virtue to be admired and the high road is a bridge anchored by a world series trophy.

Nicely put...I changed my stratgety regarding cub fans...the ones I know of personally, for the most part, are decent honest people. Just passionate about thier team, misguided as it may be. I take the high road too, unless backed into a corner then I take out the trump card--World Champions!!

In a nutshell, it depends on the situation. If I'm say visiting an elderly man in a nursing home who is rooting on the cubs on TV, what am I supposed to do redneck an 90 yr old man? yea right...

TommyJohn
10-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Are you ready to listen to "that was then, this is now." "We've won more recently, so we're better." No sir, I see no good that can come of a Cubs championship. The Sox would be right back to being an afterthought.

Hell, if the Cubs win 9 of their first 10 next year everyone will be in hysteria,
never mind if they win it all.

zach074
10-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Can't we just enjoy this and not worry about the cubs?

JB98
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
I don't own any "Cubs suck" shirts or anything like that. I refuse to buy them because I don't want to promote their team, even in a negative fashion. I'd rather wear something pro-Sox.

That being said, I will always wish nothing but failure on the Cubs. I hate their fans. They have all convinced themselves that supporting a losing team is a badge of honor, so much so that they've created a subculture that romanticizes losing. I have no respect for that whatsoever. They seem to wear losing well, so I hope their failures continue.

Most Cubs fans I know go out of their way to belittle me and our team. I think they are insufferable jackasses and elitist snobs. I will never have any sympathy for those people.

RallyBowl
10-28-2005, 08:26 PM
My two cents:

I strongly dislike everything about the Cubs. I will never root for them or be happy for them. I am so proud that I am from Chicago, yet so embarassed that the name of the greatest city in the world is sewn onto the jerseys of a joke of a team, a joke of a franchise. I start off every opening day by predicting and hoping that the Sox go 162-0, and the cubs go 0-162. These things will never change.

So, no, I won't support them or wish them well.

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 08:33 PM
My two cents:

I strongly dislike everything about the Cubs. I will never root for them or be happy for them. I am so proud that I am from Chicago, yet so embarassed that the name of the greatest city in the world is sewn onto the jerseys of a joke of a team, a joke of a franchise. I start off every opening day by predicting and hoping that the Sox go 162-0, and the cubs go 0-162. These things will never change.

So, no, I won't support them or wish them well.

I'm with you. I won't support them or wish them well. I am just hoping that Sox fans start IGNORING them instead of HATING them. That, IMO would be a much stronger statement. From here on out, i want to enjoy the White Sox, not hate on the cubs.

SluggersAway
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
The problem is it is a lot easier to ignore them when you are out of state, or even out of the city.

But, I will agree with JR and wish that all the animosity would go away, it would be a much more civilized world.

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 09:03 PM
The problem is it is a lot easier to ignore them when you are out of state, or even out of the city.

But, I will agree with JR and wish that all the animosity would go away, it would be a much more civilized world.

Normally I would agree with you, but there are more cub fans here than Brewer fans. :wink:

Wsoxmike59
10-28-2005, 09:31 PM
I've been an avid Cub Hater for 21 years now. The story goes like this. Back when I was in High School my old boss at the Tribune was a big Cub fan, born and bred on the north side.

I conversely was a Sox fan, born and raised on the southside of Chicago. My boss was a really cool guy, and him being several years older than me, was one guy who I looked up to.

He had some great stories about the Cubs and baseball in general from the late 50's and 60's. A true friendship grew out of this relationship, we went to ballgames together, went skiing together, and we even went to each other's weddings. (His in '77 and mine in 1983)

I got married to a wonderful woman on Oct. 1st 1983, and the Sox were gearing up for the playoffs for the first time in my lifetime. Things were going really well for me, personally and professionally and with the with the Sox possibly headed to the world series.....life just couldn't be better.

When the Sox lost in the playoffs in 1983 and I was absolutely crushed and just heartbroken by it, that it was the first time since 1968 that I just couldn't bear to watch the World Series....I just didn't care.

In 1984 when the Cubs won their division and made their 1st postseason appearance since WW II, I made arrangements to meet with old my Tribune buddy to watch game # 3 of the NLCS with him. I even brought over some chilled champagne in anticipation of a Pennant coming to the city of Chicago for the first time since 1959!

Needless to say, the cork stayed in the champagne bottle that night....then the next....and the next!!! Unbelievable I thought. The following work day, I gave my old buddy a consolation call, to express my sadness and how painful that conclusion was to watch for me as a Sox fan....I couldn't imagine what he was feeling as a Cub fan.

Then he dropped the BOMB on me!! He said....Mikey, you're a better man than I. Last year when the Sox won it...I was wearing an Orioles hat to work....betting against the Sox at work....I made a ton of money off those Sox fans!!

:angry: That was my LINE IN THE SAND moment. From that moment on, I actively rooted AGAINST the Cubs. I was the type of guy who took almost as much glee in a Cub loss as a White Sox winner. My perfect day was always a Sox win coupled with a Cub loss. Those were always great days around the Wsoxmike59 household.

My hatred for the Cubs grew even more when I saw the biased treatment the Sox got from the media in this town. Even the most subtle slight was viewed with disdain in my eyes. I could never understand how any self respecting southsider could root for the Cubs. (I would always give a pass to a girl who rooted for the Cubs....but a southside guy who roots for the Cubs....I thought the guy had to be a little "soft" in the head)

But now.....now that the Sox have won it all. I can personally say I no longer have that axe to grind. The Sox are always going to be my team, but if the Cubs do well....that's fine by me.

It might to time to "let it go"...and as the Cub fans at work tell me..." don't be a Cub Playa Hata!"

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2005, 09:36 PM
I already posted this on another thread, but I thought it was appropriate here as well:

My favorite was the Wrigleyville guy on the ESPN piece last night that said our World Series championship was "all plastic and blasphemy". You could just tell it was sitting in his stomach and burning like crazy!

Stroker Ace
10-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I will NEVER root for the cubs. We won our first in 88 years, so now lets root for the Sox to win two in a row.

Knoxville Sox
10-28-2005, 10:32 PM
The thing is that all the reasons you hate the Cubs will still be there by this time next April:

The propaganda
The quasi-bigotry of the Cub fanbase
The country club attitude of the Cub fanbase
The Heathers mentality of the Cub fanbase (We're POPULAR!!!)
The mooching celebrities

They are not going to change. Their willing accomplices locally and nationally will not stop coddling their commitment to mediocrity or fufilling the constant need of the Cub franchise/fanbase to have their collective ego stroked. Given that, it is going to be very difficult to maintain an stance of indifference when that bunch screams for a posture of absolute contempt.

TornLabrum
10-28-2005, 11:38 PM
As I post in my biography, I had a secondary rooting interest with the Cubs for about 40 years. The Sox were my team, and the Cubs were my second team. This was not difficult. I grew up 60 miles south of the city and both teams' games were on Channel 9 back then with the same announcing team.

About 10 years ago, I decided I had had it with the Cubs. I concluded that as long as the Tribune Co. owned them, they would go nowhere. In addition, I had been active for several years in a fan club that preceded the Windy City Sox Fans. I figured Jerry Reinsdorf would put a winner together before the Tribune.

I had a few scary moments after devoting my allegiance solely to the Sox, but my faith in Mr. Reinsdorf paid off.

Meanwhile I've seen the fratboy-ization of Cubs fandom. Those weren't the Cubs fans I knew when I used to make the occasional trip to The Shrine. The Cubs fans I had known actually knew something about baseball and could follow a game.

So I stuck with the Sox, even when it looked as if the Cubs would actually go to the Series. And now we've won it all.

As for my tolerating the Cubs or their fans, an incident this week kind of made up my mind for me. The first happened before we won the Series. I was in line at a gas station convenience storw when a guy about 18-21 years old stepped to the front of the line where the second register had been opened up, right after walking through the door. There were five people in line waiting, and I was the next in line. He asked if he could pay for something, and the clerk said, "You'll have to wait for the people who have been standing in line. When I stepped up, he muttered something under his breath and concluded with "a Sox fan."

Yup, I should have to wait for him because I'm just a Sox fan and not worthy of the same service to which he, a Cubs fan, is entitled. The typical "Cubs fan" nowadays is an elitist snob. All of the incidents we've been reading about in the threads here point to that. They are stupid elitist snobs who don't know when to shut their ****ing mouths.

So as far as being more tolerant of these *******s, **** 'em. If the stay out of my way, I'll ignore them, but the first one who gets in my face will find out that it was a bad move to make.

hose
10-29-2005, 10:19 AM
As a die hard life long Sox fan who's best friend since kindergarten was a Cub fan I have a different perspective.

In all the years of arguing who is the better team or player it was always about what went on between the lines. It was the game of baseball we talked and discussed, our true passion. Wilbur Wood vs. Fergie Jenkins, Bill Melton vs. Ron Santo, Dick Allen vs. Billy Williams.

It never was about ball parks or attendance only what truly mattered and that was baseball and "our" teams.

He called me after the Sox won the WS and simply said , "you won, it's over"

40 years of bickering about Jerry Morales and Jorge Orta are over and the sheer joy of seeing the White Sox win not only the pennant but the World Series is all that matters now.

For the true baseball fan like my buddy that happens to also be a Cub fan I hope they can get a taste of this someday.

Michelle
10-29-2005, 10:30 AM
For every moment you spend thinking about Cubs fans is a moment less you are celebrating the Sox victory.

TornLabrum
10-29-2005, 11:08 AM
For every moment you spend thinking about Cubs fans is a moment less you are celebrating the Sox victory.

Not necessarily. Every moment I think about a Cubs fan is a moment I think, "Sox = World Champions. Cubs = ****."

hsnterprize
10-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey...

I wouldn't mind rooting for the Cubs to win a Series...

that is, only after the Sox win about 20 more first!!!!!!!

jabrch
10-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I hope the cubs win one next year...

YES, I HOPE THEY WIN ONE GAME NEXT YEAR.

I don't want to see that franchise ever win a World Series, as it would mean that they were, at least for that season, the best team in baseball. I want to see us win more - not to see them win.

hose
10-29-2005, 11:49 AM

Just like your kids in the back seat asking every 2 minutes, "are we there yet?",
it's a whole new ball game for baseball in Chicago. The truth is that the Cubs are ones on the clock.

I got nothing but time to keep enjoying this, like the rest of my life.:bandance:

jabrch
10-29-2005, 11:58 AM

I can multi-thread my emotions/thoughts/feelings to have multiple at the same time. In particular being thrilled for what this team accomplished, looking forward to what we may be able to accomplish in the future, and laugh at our weak brothers to the north.

Knoxville Sox
10-29-2005, 12:05 PM

Every moment I spend thinking about how the roaches are handling this merely adds to the sense of victory.

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-29-2005, 12:56 PM
The thing is that all the reasons you hate the Cubs will still be there by this time next April:

The propaganda
The quasi-bigotry of the Cub fanbase
The country club attitude of the Cub fanbase
The Heathers mentality of the Cub fanbase (We're POPULAR!!!)
The mooching celebrities

They are not going to change. Their willing accomplices locally and nationally will not stop coddling their commitment to mediocrity or fufilling the constant need of the Cub franchise/fanbase to have their collective ego stroked. Given that, it is going to be very difficult to maintain an stance of indifference when that bunch screams for a posture of absolute contempt.

Exactly, but it's not quasi-bigotry, it's just bigotry. Try the following experiment: argue with a Cub fan. Press all his buttons; exasperate him; refuse to give up. I guarantee he will get flustered and uncork one of the following words/phrases:

"white trash"
"ghetto"
"uneducated"

Cub fans would make terrible poker players, because they can't avoid betraying their classism and racism. Actually, I can't wait for a Cub fan to try #3 on me - having a flagrantly overpriced education does not make me intelligent or a better person, but it does mean that I can embarrass any frat boy who uses that line.

RallyBowl is also absolutely right about having the name of the greatest city in the world sewn on the jerseys of the most embarrassing team in the history of organized sports.

Maximo
10-29-2005, 12:56 PM
I have been a Sox fan for almost 50 years. Not as long as some posters on these boards, but longer than most. I have been a "Cub hater" for about 40 of those years. Began when most of the "guys" in the neighborhood started dissing the Sox for always finishing just behind the Yankees. This, at a time when the Cubs were the resident 'doormats' of the old 8-team National League.

Forty plus years of Cub hatred is a lot of hatred. However, I must admit, that as of this past Thursday morning, I don't have a lot of ill will toward anyone, right now.......and I'm sort of surprised by that.

What the Sox just did tastes pretty damn good in the mouths of all Sox fans. What I can tell some of you younger folks is that like a good un-opened bottle of Scotch, the longer you wait to open it....the better it tastes.

Like many of you, I have had quite a few 'moments' with some of my Cub 'colleagues' the past couple days. Phone calls...e-mails....stopping in at the restaurant...and the like. Keep in mind that a lot of these guys and I go back a long way and most of this 'jawing' back and forth over the years has been good-natured. That's the good thing about true baseball fans.....whether Sox or Cub fans......we're smart enough to know the difference between achievement and potential. It's the other idiots walking around that get really annoying.

While I've still taken some shots from the 'Cubbie' faithful since the Sox won the "Series", the common line I keep hearing is....."Max.....I'd give just about anything to be standing in your shoes right now.......congratulations."

My response to them. My hope is that some day you will get that chance to experience what I'm feeling inside. And when....or if....that happens, I will be happy for you ....but not because you are a Cub fan. First and foremost; however, I wish some of these guys could get their team back. God knows tickets to their games have been pretty hard to come by in recent years. Their seats are now occupied by the family of six from Grand Haven, Michigan who blew into Chicago to site-see for the weekend. People, who when they hear the names, Kessinger and Beckert, assume it's a Wall Street firm, rather than a 'key-stone' combination.

The honest to goodness Cub fans I know envy every one of us today. They do because our team not only won a World Series, but they did it the old fashioned way.....playing baseball the way the game was meant to be played. Not the kind of stuff that makes the Sportcenter highlights April through September, but the kind of stuff that will damn sure get you on in October. A bunch of guys from every corner of the globe whose 'ability' to play the game only took a slight back seat to their 'desire' to play it. And the best thing about it is that they're our guys.....not ESPN's....Madison Avenue's... or the Tribune's. They belong to us....good, honest, smart, die-hard Sox fans.

I'm afraid that for me what the Sox just accomplished also exorcised a good deal of hatred from me. I can't believe it, but it just doesn't seem to matter as much, any more. I don't know....maybe it'll come back next spring. But I really don't care today....nor tomorrow....or next week. I'm just gonna sit back and keep sippin' on that 50 year old bottle Scotch.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-29-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm now indifferent to the Cubs. My partner at work is a real classy Cub fan, as is one of my brothers. I won't root against those guys. They didn't root against me. If the Cubs ever make it to a World Series, and I really doubt that they will try, the media spotlight will make me puke, but it'll just be another World Series. That said, 1000 losses over the next ten years is a good way for the Cubs to start their drive to a championship. Let's see how popuar " lovable losers " are in a city with a winner. We have a trophy with a circle of flags on it, they can make one for the team with the most fans that support a loser. Maybe someone puking talking on their cell phone, with the scoreboard showing a Cub's loss. But, I'll reiterate, I won't root against them if they make to the promised land.
White Sox, 2005 World Champions!!!!! It hasn't sunk in yet, on day three of their reign.