PDA

View Full Version : Bad Trade!!!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
12-14-2001, 08:55 AM
This trade was not about improving the team or upgrading the pitching staff or anything else. This trade was about getting rid of Sean Lowe pure & simple. This organization has had it in for Lowe since he got here & in getting rid of him they not only lost his great arm, but Wells' arm as well.

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!

We traded 2 excellent arms , one of them in his early 20's!! for a career minor leauger with a very mediocre record ( I don't give a damn if he played for the worst team in the leauge ).

This organization is not at all committed to winning, all they care about is settling a score with a pitcher they didn't like & they set the team back a long, long way in so doing.

I think I should change my screen name to Nuke Kenny Williams.

Kilroy
12-14-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
We traded 2 excellent arms , one of them in his early 20's!! for a career minor leauger with a very mediocre record ( I don't give a damn if he played for the worst team in the leauge ).

Well, I don't think you'll find a Sox fan around who likes the fact that Lowe got dealt, but the pitcher we got back is no career minor leaguer. I think he can do well in a Sox uniform, and I think we're gonna end up liking this guy, even tho we don't like him too much right now.

duke of dorwood
12-14-2001, 09:35 AM
Maybe being an ex-Twinkie, he will be motivated to beat them 4 times. Wouldn't that be nice. Do we play the pirates this year?

Soxboyrob
12-14-2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

That's just crap. this guy is no minor leaguer. That's ridiculous. He looks like a lock to win at least 12-13 games for us and has the potential to win 20 if he gets back the stuff he had in 1999. Try to get past your Soxfan blindness and realize that Lowe was a good long reliever and spot starter and NOTHING more. He couldn't go long in a game. Hell, he couldn't usually even go medium in a game. He's a 5 inning pitcher and good one at that. There are other guys like Lowe floating around out there. Nobody wanted to see Lowe leave, but we needed a solid guy in the rotation that will chew up innings and Ritchie fills that need. You can't just fill needs without giving up good guys. We'll live.

Bmr31
12-14-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

That's just crap. this guy is no minor leaguer. That's ridiculous. He looks like a lock to win at least 12-13 games for us and has the potential to win 20 if he gets back the stuff he had in 1999. Try to get past your Soxfan blindness and realize that Lowe was a good long reliever and spot starter and NOTHING more. He couldn't go long in a game. Hell, he couldn't usually even go medium in a game. He's a 5 inning pitcher and good one at that. There are other guys like Lowe floating around out there. Nobody wanted to see Lowe leave, but we needed a solid guy in the rotation that will chew up innings and Ritchie fills that need. You can't just fill needs without giving up good guys. We'll live.

fill a need? todd ritchie? now THATS funny!

WinningUgly!
12-14-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

fill a need? todd ritchie? now THATS funny!

Ritchie does fill a need. Right now he's a better starting pitcher than K. Wells, Garland, Parque, Wright, Glover, Biddle or anybody else we have/had. A few years down the road might be another story.

MikeKreevich
12-14-2001, 04:43 PM
Now calm down N.C.. With most trades you are going to lose some player you like. I thought Lowe was a pretty good pitcher too. I like the trade. The sox needed to add a dependable pitcher to their rotation. I'm beginning to believe K.W. is on the right page. He almost got us a lead off man. He is going after players that play all out and you should like that.
One thing about the trade that we should be concerned about.
Todd Ritche told Mike North this afternoon that he only has one year left on his contract. Does anyone have the details. He didn't mention a option year.

Kilroy
12-14-2001, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
One thing about the trade that we should be concerned about.
Todd Ritche told Mike North this afternoon that he only has one year left on his contract. Does anyone have the details. He didn't mention a option year.

He won't be a free agent for 2 years. Arbitration for the next 2. So he can't just walk at the end of the year unless he blows and the Sox don't sign him or offer arbitration...

danman31
12-14-2001, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Well, I don't think you'll find a Sox fan around who likes the fact that Lowe got dealt
Me, but I wanted something for him. Not just for the sake of trading him. Ritchie is something, like I posted before this trade could simply go either way.

bjmarte
12-14-2001, 05:34 PM
Granted I wasn't on this board last year but it seems like before the beginning of the season last year everyone thought the moves for Wells and Clayton were good, aggressive moves to improve the team. It turned out that both of those moves together weren't worth a crap.

We lose a starting pitcher whose upside has been eluding him, a middle reliever who wasn't going to be happy with anything but a starting spot, and young kid whose ability at the major league level is yet to be seen. We get a solid pitcher we can stick in the starting rotation. Guesses are that he can win 15 to 20 games for us.

I know that guesses aren't worth a crap but at least he isn't some pansy who is going to displace a club house leader or a chemistry destroying loud mouth.

Daver
12-14-2001, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte
Granted I wasn't on this board last year but it seems like before the beginning of the season last year everyone thought the moves for Wells and Clayton were good, aggressive moves to improve the team. It turned out that both of those moves together weren't worth a crap.

We lose a starting pitcher whose upside has been eluding him, a middle reliever who wasn't going to be happy with anything but a starting spot, and young kid whose ability at the major league level is yet to be seen. We get a solid pitcher we can stick in the starting rotation. Guesses are that he can win 15 to 20 games for us.

I know that guesses aren't worth a crap but at least he isn't some pansy who is going to displace a club house leader or a chemistry destroying loud mouth.

Exactly.

OfficerKarkovice
12-14-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte

Well put

RedPinStripes
12-14-2001, 06:04 PM
Here we go again............... :D:

AsInWreck
12-14-2001, 06:12 PM
I don't think this trade is so bad/the sox should have a decent rotation w/ buerhle/ritchie/and garland at the top. Then we have parque, ginter,biddle, and glover battling for last 2, sox should be able to get something out of those guys.
3 good starters and a couple decent starters are usually enough to win these days