PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Mac reinforces negative Sox stereotypes on Dan Patrick Show

bluestar
10-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I was stuck in my vehicle for part of the parade (although my wonderful wife recorded it for me), and happened to catch Bernie Mac on the Dan Patrick Show. Bernie supposedly wanted to set the record straight that he is indeed a Sox fan, but he did much more than that. He said he was a Sox fan primarily because the Cubs didn't want people like him to come to their games when he was a kid. He said he would go to games at Comiskey, but he would run to the El as soon as the game was over, "because you didn't want to hang around in that neighborhood. And it's still that way today!" I'm not kidding; that's what he said.

He went on to say that Sox fans are "tough." "You remember that guy and his son that ran on the field and beat up a coach a few years ago? That's what Sox fans are like."

Gee, thanks, Bernie Mac. Don't do us any favors.

bigsqwert
10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
What a complete tool. Weren't those actually Cub fans that attacked Gamboa?

Iguana775
10-28-2005, 03:44 PM
What a complete tool. Weren't those actually Cub fans that attacked Gamboa?

Yep.

Seems like he's more of a casual Sox fan. Someone that follows but doesnt really pay attention. I'm just glad DP didnt follow up that with a question about how Sox fans are evil.

BeefyD
10-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah, it was a day Cubs game/night Sox game. WL,Jr. and his s-for-brains kid went to the Cubs game, got lit, and then went to the Sox game.

Madvora
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
That's a great thing to say to a national audience that already knows nothing about White Sox fans.

Thanks a lot you total idiot.

Dan Mega
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Just curious, I've always heard that everyone who jumped on the to attack Gamboa or the ump were Cubs fans, but I've never seen proof of it. Anyone have a link?

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm sure that douche was telling Dan Patrick all this as he was driving his $150,000 car to his house in the Hollywood Hills.

The amount of stuff that Bernie Mac doesn't know about "how Chicago is today," could just barely fit into the Grand ****ing Canyon.

BRDSR
10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
"You remember that guy and his son that ran on the field and beat up a coach a few years ago? That's what Sox fans are like."

Wait...are you quoting Bernie Mac there? I mean, is that a direct quote, or a paraphrase, or are you missing some teal? If thats a direct quote, I will definitely boycott anything he does in the future.

Madvora
10-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Just curious, I've always heard that everyone who jumped on the to attack Gamboa or the ump were Cubs fans, but I've never seen proof of it. Anyone have a link?
If you had proof that the Ligues were Cub fans, then what would that matter? That's the same thing as saying that Sox fans had something to do with this.
The rest of the fans of the Cubs would have nothing to do with this even if the Ligues were Cub fans themselves.

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
... "because you didn't want to hang around in that neighborhood. And it's still that way today!" ...

With all due respect (and not to kick off any trouble) I don't believe Bernie was saying what you THINK he was saying.

When you look like Bernie, you do NOT hang around in Bridgeport for long after the game (Remember Lenard Clark?) I agree that ESPN radio was probably not the place to say it but we are all Chicagoans here and we know the deal.

Chicago is a great city -- the best in the world -- and we've come a long way. But we still have a ways to go. Hopefully, the success of our White Sox will help.

- IotaNet

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I booed him when they put his mug on camera during game 1 and some of the Sox fans at Buffalo Billiards in D.C. thought I was crazy.

He is a complete tool.

ozzman
10-28-2005, 03:53 PM
You guys are getting the stories mixed up. The ligue idiots that jumped Gamboa were not baseball fans. The dad thought it would be cool to get on tv by doing it. they were from Alsip, and Ligues sister said he wasn't really a baseball fan at all, but she was a Sox fan.

Eric Dybas, the other idiot that jumped onto the field was the cubs fan. He was the one that got all liquored up at a Cubs day game and then pulled the night cap at the Cell.

Mickster
10-28-2005, 03:54 PM
With all due respect (and not to kick off any trouble) I don't believe Bernie was saying what you THINK he was saying.

When you look like Bernie, you do NOT hang around in Bridgeport for long after the game (Remember Lenard Clark?) I agree that ESPN radio was probably not the place to say it but we are all Chicagoans here and we know the deal.

Chicago is a great city -- the best in the world -- and we've come a long way. But we still have a ways to go. Hopefully, the success of our White Sox will help.

- IotaNet

*** does that mean? :tsk:

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 03:56 PM
[Nonsense...]
- IotaNet
:o:

bluestar
10-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Wait...are you quoting Bernie Mac there? I mean, is that a direct quote, or a paraphrase, or are you missing some teal? If thats a direct quote, I will definitely boycott anything he does in the future.

To the best of my memory, that is a direct quote. I won't say it is 100% word for word because I can't play it back to verify it, but it is very close. He was using the statement to make a point about how "tough" (his word) Sox fans are.

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 03:57 PM
:whoflungpoo
- IotaNet

your post is headed for the roadhouse and I hope the mods show you the door as well. :dtroll:

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh Bernie, please don't try and help us out anymore if you are going to say thing like that.

And yeah, you guys are getting your stories mixed. Ligue was just given some tickets by someone and wanted to get on TV. As I recall, he called his sister and told her to make sure she was watching the news that night before he ran on the field. I don't think he was actually a baseball fan. Eric Dybas was the schmuck who went to a Cubs game, got drunk, went to a Sox game, got more drunk, and then ran on the field. It doesn't matter that he was a Cubs fan anyway. He decided to be an idiot at US Cellular, not Wrigley.

bluestar
10-28-2005, 04:03 PM

- IotaNet

I'm not even sure what you mean, but I have been to Bridgeport many, many times, before and after games and even when there weren't any games being played, and I have never felt threatened or in danger. I admit, however, I bear no resemblance to Bernie Mac.

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Troops -

I am not a troll and I am not naive. I am 44 years old and I grew up in Chicago -- in Morgan Park ... right down the way from Mt. Greenwood. Like Bernie, I am also Black. I have also been to as many Sox games as anyone on this board.

If you grew up in Chicago, you know the deal. There are certain "rules of the game" about where you go and where you don't go. If you're Black, Bridgeport ain't one of 'em unless you have a good reason ... and you definitely make it your business to get out of there before dark. (As I said, remember Lenard Clark.)

My point -- and I'll reinforce it here -- is that Bernie might not have been making the point that you THINK he was making.

I'm speaking the truth -- don't shoot the messenger.

Mickster
10-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Troops -

I am not a troll and I am not naive. I am 44 years old and I grew up in Chicago -- in Morgan Park ... right down the way from Mt. Greenwood. Like Bernie, I am also Black. I have also been to as many Sox games as anyone on this board.

If you grew up in Chicago, you know the deal. There are certain "rules of the game" about where you go and where you don't go. If you're Black, Bridgeport ain't one of 'em unless you have a good reason ... and you definitely make it your business to get out of there before dark. (As I said, remember Lenard Clark.)

My point -- and I'll reinforce it here -- is that Bernie might not have been making the point that you THINK he was making.

*shakes head*

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 04:08 PM
:troll

Holy ****. Goodbye!

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm not even sure what you mean, but I have been to Bridgeport many, many times, before and after games and even when there weren't any games being played, and I have never felt threatened or in danger. I admit, however, I bear no resemblance to Bernie Mac.

Let's all do the mods a favor and not quote this jagbag. His time is coming very soon...

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 04:10 PM
This thread is off the deep end.:(:

PatK
10-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Bernie is NOT a Sox fan- he's someone who jumped on the bandwagon.

He left after the 3rd inning of Game 1.

Steve Dahl has tape of him saying "F- the Sox" and "I'm done with them" two years ago when he threw out the first pitch for his 25th anniversary of being on the air. He played it Monday.

Now that they're in the spotlight, he's changed his tune.

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Bernie is NOT a Sox fan- he's someone who jumped on the bandwagon.Now that they're in the spotlight, he's changed his tune.

This may be true. I also heard the ESPN interview and he fell back on the old "I'm a Chicago Fan - I root for everybody" line.

But what do you expect -- especially from someone in show business? It's now "fashionable" to be a Sox fan. Like most of us here on WSI, I earned my Sox-fan spurs the hard way ...through about 35 years of suffering and that makes 2005 just that much sweeter! :bandance:

nasox
10-28-2005, 06:36 PM

- IotaNet

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

Geez, Cub fans want a little taste of success eh? So they come here and act like ****ing idiots? Go away tool.

oldcomiskey
10-28-2005, 06:57 PM
:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

Geez, Cub fans want a little taste of success eh? So they come here and act like ****ing idiots? Go away tool.
Im not sticking up for everybody or pointing fingers at anybody But I can see his point. There are certain areas in every city to where if youre not of the same ethnic background you might want to rethink being in at an unsafe hour. I dont think he meant to say that every in Bridgeport was a card carrying memmber of the KKK

Relax,

Bernie is a Cub fan, what did you expect

eastchicagosoxfan
10-28-2005, 07:18 PM
A question for the mods, if they have time to read this post, and it's related to this topic. Can the two criminals that ran onto the field a couple of years back be treated on this site similiarly to posts about fannies in seats?

antitwins13
10-28-2005, 07:21 PM
What all of you guys fail to realize is is that nobody takes Bernie Mac seriously. So don't have a brain aneurysm over this.

Daver
10-28-2005, 07:21 PM
A question for the mods, if they have time to read this post, and it's related to this topic. Can the two criminals that ran onto the field a couple of years back be treated on this site similiarly to posts about fannies in seats?

Should we forbid discussion of Disco Demolition too?

Sorry, but the Ligues are forever tied to the history of the Chicago White Sox, like it or not.

chisoxfan64
10-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Bernie Mac is a stroke.:mad:

eastchicagosoxfan
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Should we forbid discussion of Disco Demolition too?

Sorry, but the Ligues are forever tied to the history of the Chicago White Sox, like it or not.
Thanks for the prompt response.

Pulaski
10-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I was stuck in my vehicle for part of the parade (although my wonderful wife recorded it for me), and happened to catch Bernie Mac on the Dan Patrick Show. Bernie supposedly wanted to set the record straight that he is indeed a Sox fan, but he did much more than that. He said he was a Sox fan primarily because the Cubs didn't want people like him to come to their games when he was a kid. He said he would go to games at Comiskey, but he would run to the El as soon as the game was over, "because you didn't want to hang around in that neighborhood. And it's still that way today!" I'm not kidding; that's what he said.

He went on to say that Sox fans are "tough." "You remember that guy and his son that ran on the field and beat up a coach a few years ago? That's what Sox fans are like."

Gee, thanks, Bernie Mac. Don't do us any favors.

Bernie: You have just disgraced the surrounding neighborhoods. He obviously has not walked around the neighborhood! Have you seen some of the houses going up. They are amazing Chicago Style homes.

GET A LIFE BERNIE!

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Im not sticking up for everybody or pointing fingers at anybody But I can see his point. There are certain areas in every city to where if youre not of the same ethnic background you might want to rethink being in at an unsafe hour. I dont think he meant to say that every in Bridgeport was a card carrying memmber of the KKKOldcomiskey -

Thanks -- you got it exactly.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble -- I have too much love for Chicago, too much respect for WSI, and too much joy for what has happened with the Sox this year. :bandance:

Geez, Cub fans want a little taste of success eh? So they come here and act like ****ing idiots? Go away tool.One last thing -- I have been a Sox fan since I was 6 years old - when I went to "Sox Park" for the first time. Thee have been many, many more since then. I have lived and died with this team as long as anyone.

Anybody remember Lamar Johnson? He is my cousin! (I know "you're happy for me") but he was responsible for some of my best Sox experiences.

During the summer of 1976 (the year of the infamous shorts), I was at darned near every home game. Cooler still, I got to hang out in the clubhouse after the games! I could share some really funny stories about Chet Lemon, Ralph Garr, Oscar Gamble, and some others.

Trust me, sir -- I ain't no Johnny-come-lately to this game. :cool:

Pulaski
10-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Troops -

That may have been the case when you were growing up; however, have you seen some of the houses in the neighborhood lately? If you have, you would not support Bernie's comments. I have many friends who are 28-35 that have recently bought newly built houses and I can tell you that you are 100%incorrect. The neighborhood is changing as Wrigley did in the early 80's; however, Bridgeport will be much more of an older and more established neighborhood (demographically speaking) and not a bunch of college grads (as Wrigley is today).

South Side
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Let's all do the mods a favor and not quote this jagbag. His time is coming very soon...

There's no reason to jump all over him. What he is saying is true whether you like it or not. Just because he's stating a fact doesn't mean he supports it. Yeah, it's common knowledge that in the past, people in Brideport didn't want outsiders coming in, whether it's right or wrong it happened. On the other hand, Bernie Mac is an idiot and he should not be embraced as a Sox fan.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry I lost the 10 minutes of my life. If you want to hear it click on the achieve link - the segment is from 1:41.54 - 1:50.24.

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=danpatrick#

Below are direct quotes unedited. By comments are in italics. (sic) is where someone screwed up.

B Mac - "We wasn't even allowed on the North Side"

B Mac - "Growing up I wanted to hit like Carlos Lee (sic - He corrected himself later on when Dan Patrick said Carlos May and he said yes I meant May when I said Lee).

B Mac - "When the White Sox was winning in 1988 (sic). I was happy when they lost to Steve Garvey in 1983 (sic - it was 1984).

Dan Patrick - "If you wore what the White Sox wore in the 1980s what would have happened to you?"

B Mac - "What ??"

DP - "If you wore the shorts that Harold Baines wore and Ron Kittle?" (sic - This was Bill Veeck's idea and it was in the 1970s and neither player wore shorts - They were not on the team).

B Mac - "The Sox fans were hostile when I was growing up. They beat up Don Buford in right field (sic - The incident happened when he was on the on deck circle and Don Buford beat the drunk he made it onto the field after an incident between Buford and our pitcher). Sox fans are rough. That incident we saw with the son & father - that has been going on - that still goes on"

DP - "What is the difference between Cub fans and Sox fans?"

BMac - Cub fans are uppity, they are brown nosers. Sox fans are blue collar. White Sox never had press, never had there highlights shown. Harold Baines never had props. (This I have to agree with).

DP - Ryan Dempster called in and had this to say about you -

Ryan Dempster - "We invited Bernie Mac to a game last year and he strolled around the place and through the locker room telling us how he was a Cub fan and I think it is funny that he now says he is no longer a Cub Fan."

B Mac - "That was true".

DP - Would you go back to Wrigley Field if asked?

B Mac - "I'm a Chicago fan. I went to Wrigley when they asked me to sing and I wanted to be there and see history. I didn't want to see them lose. I supported the Cubs. It was a shame they didn't win. I am a Chicago fan who has suffered a long time. I am a Sox fan. I'd go back again if Dusty asked me. I came and threw out the first pitch. I love going to Wrigley. It's pretty, a traditional place. It's fun. Hell Comiskey is in the hood. In Burbank (sic - It's in Bridgeport jackass). That's where the Daleys were from. It was a bad place to be, still is. I used to jump on the el as soon as the game was over and go South as fast as I could because you wouldn't want to be caught in that neighboorhood after dark.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Now I know why I don't listen to sports talk radio.

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 09:03 PM
That may have been the case when you were growing up; however, have you seen some of the houses in the neighborhood lately? If you have, you would not support Bernie's comments. I have many friends who are 28-35 that have recently bought newly built houses and I can tell you that you are 100%incorrect. The neighborhood is changing as Wrigley did in the early 80's; however, Bridgeport will be much more of an older and more established neighborhood (demographically speaking) and not a bunch of college grads (as Wrigley is today).

Are you seriously suggesting that esteemed members of the media have inaccurately portrayed Bridgeport - and further - do you think we should actually visit the neighborhood before stereotyping it and spouting off on a message board? I just don't have time to form my own opinion, so I'll just have to keep perpetuating the stereotype...

CJLove23
10-28-2005, 09:13 PM
:whocares

Seriously, has anyone seen 'Guess Who?' Worst 2 hours of my life. The guy's a complete boob...not someone even worth talking about :redneck

bluestar
10-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the transcript, Southside. Obviously, I'm getting old, and my memory is not as good as it once was, but I think I at least captured the gist of Bernie Mac's comments in the original post. I completely forgot about all the factual errors made during the discussion, but I was shaking my head during the whole conversation.

I realize most people don't give a lot of credence to what a comedian has to say about something like this, but comments such as the ones he made do reinforce negative stereotypes. And whatever he meant by his comments about not being in Bridgeport after dark, I think most people that heard it would interpret that he meant the neighborhood around USCF is dangerous.

Just once, I would like someone to go on a national show such as that and contradict these stereotypes and myths, rather than reinforce them.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the transcript, Southside. Obviously, I'm getting old, and my memory is not as good as it once was, but I think I at least captured the gist of Bernie Mac's comments in the original post. I completely forgot about all the factual errors made during the discussion, but I was shaking my head during the whole conversation.

I realize most people don't give a lot of credence to what a comedian has to say about something like this, but comments such as the ones he made do reinforce negative stereotypes. And whatever he meant by his comments about not being in Bridgeport after dark, I think most people that heard it would interpret that he meant the neighborhood around USCF is dangerous.

Just once, I would like someone to go on a national show such as that and contradict these stereotypes and myths, rather than reinforce them.

It wasn't a complete transcript - I only wrote down the points discussed here. I think at some point in Bernie's life he did root for the White Sox. He may not have the facts straight but I believe he did cheer for them a long time ago. Now he'll go whereever he gets publicity.

Do I care if he is a Sox fan - no. Do I care if he bashes the White Sox, Comiskey Park or Bridgeport. Yes.

What do I wish Bernie Mac would do? Shut the **** up and leave White Sox tickets for White Sox fans.

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 09:22 PM
There's no reason to jump all over him. What he is saying is true whether you like it or not. Just because he's stating a fact doesn't mean he supports it. Yeah, it's common knowledge that in the past, people in Brideport didn't want outsiders coming in, whether it's right or wrong it happened. On the other hand, Bernie Mac is an idiot and he should not be embraced as a Sox fan.

Well, we agree that Bernie Mac is an idiot.

bluestar
10-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Do I care if he is a Sox fan - no. Do I care if he bashes the White Sox, Comiskey Park or Bridgeport. Yes.

What do I wish Bernie Mac would do? Shut the **** up and leave White Sox tickets for White Sox fans.

Well said.

flo-B-flo
10-28-2005, 10:07 PM
After a game in the 70's, a couple of friends and myself were "discouraged" from going to a local bar by some young toughs that were yelling slurs about us being hispanic. One of my friends and a couple of them made it worse than it should have been. Then, a phalanx of Sox fans in the bar came out, broke up the bull****, and invited us into the bar. A bad situation was resolved by allegiance to the greatest baseball team on earth. Still, that day confirmed a saying I've always BOlieved. Everywhere I go there's ALWAYS an *******. I guess if I chose to listen to talk radio I'd run into an idiot like Bernie Mac.

TornLabrum
10-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Bernie Mac is African American. The only reason he would want to get out of Bridgeport is because it would be a bad place for a person like him to be after dark. It's not because the neighborhood is dangerous per se, but that it was perceived by African Americans as being dangerous to be in.

Like it or not, and like Bernie Mac or not, Chicago does not have a stellar history when it comes to race relations, and that's what he made reference to. Believe it or not, just as there are neighborhoods in which white folks wouldn't like to be in after dark, the same is true for people of color. As much as we hate to admit it, there is both bigotry and fear involved here.

I think things are probably better than they were, but some incidents in the neighborhood of the ball park in recent years show that racial hatred is still present.

Iguana775
10-28-2005, 11:22 PM

well, he said something about how one time some fans came out of the stands a while back, maybe in the 70's or 80's, and started a fight with a player of the opposting team. He was saying that Sox fans are a blue collar and rough type. then he said..."remember a few years ago when that father and son came out of the stands? That's just how sox fans are....rought and tough..."

that's not an exact quote but fairly close.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
10-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Bernie Mac is not a Sox fan. He sang the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley in 2003. NOT A SOX FAN. He's not really funny either.

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 01:47 AM
There's no reason to jump all over him. What he is saying is true whether you like it or not. Just because he's stating a fact doesn't mean he supports it. Yeah, it's common knowledge that in the past, people in Brideport didn't want outsiders coming in, whether it's right or wrong it happened. On the other hand, Bernie Mac is an idiot and he should not be embraced as a Sox fan.I agree with you and IotaNet. I remember Bridgeport when it was notoriously racist. Sorry, but it's a fact. Many of you may be too young to remember that but African-Americans don't forget stuff like that very easily. You can't. The only way to erase racism is to deal with it, not try to sweep it under the rug like it doesn't exist. You also have to try to understand the fear and humiliation that comes from being discriminated against because of your race. It's true that things have improved in Bridgeport and that's great, but it's going to take a while before blacks start trusting and believing that. And even then there will still be people in Bridgeport who don't want to let go of the way things used to be.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2005, 01:51 AM
Bernie Mac is African American. The only reason he would want to get out of Bridgeport is because it would be a bad place for a person like him to be after dark. It's not because the neighborhood is dangerous per se, but that it was perceived by African Americans as being dangerous to be in.

Like it or not, and like Bernie Mac or not, Chicago does not have a stellar history when it comes to race relations, and that's what he made reference to. Believe it or not, just as there are neighborhoods in which white folks wouldn't like to be in after dark, the same is true for people of color. As much as we hate to admit it, there is both bigotry and fear involved here.

I think things are probably better than they were, but some incidents in the neighborhood of the ball park in recent years show that racial hatred is still present.Exactly correct, Torn. People talking about the nice houses being built in Bridgeport are absolutely missing the point.

IotaNet isn't saying that Bridgeport is a dangerous neighborhood, per se. He's saying that there is a history that it was not a good place for black men to be after dark. If you deny that, you are a historical revisionist, because it's absolutely true.

Be real, people. Let's not pretend that big city neighborhoods are all sunshine and roses when it comes to welcoming strangers. Sox fans welcome Sox fans. Neighborhood residents don't always welcome outsiders.

I'm a big blues fan. There was a club (might still be, for all I know) called "East of the Ryan" that had some great blues shows. There was a young black man on the police department with me who grew up in the neighborhood. I asked him what would happen if I went there. He said "oh, you'd have no problem in the club. Blues fans are cool with blues fans. Getting back and forth from your car might be another story."

THAT'S what IotaNet is talking about.

cubhater
10-29-2005, 02:04 AM
First and foremost, screw Bernie Mac.

Secondly, I live in Bridgeport and have a wonderful African-American girlfriend who has lived with me for the past two years. We've never had any racial problems, her kids play with the rest of the kids on the block, and we have some of the best neighbors anyone would want.

I know there's fools in every neighborhood, even here, who don't approve of it.
That's there problem, not mine.

cubhater
10-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I'm a big blues fan. There was a club (might still be, for all I know) called "East of the Ryan" that had some great blues shows. There was a young black man on the police department with me who grew up in the neighborhood. I asked him what would happen if I went there. He said "oh, you'd have no problem in the club. Blues fans are cool with blues fans. Getting back and forth from your car might be another story."

You talking about the place on 79th east of Cottage Grove? It's still there but not sure if they still play the blues. I like going to Lee's Unleaded Blues nearby on South Chicago. Cool place and no cover so you can spend more on :gulp:

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Exactly correct, Torn. People talking about the nice houses being built in Bridgeport are absolutely missing the point.

IotaNet isn't saying that Bridgeport is a dangerous neighborhood, per se. He's saying that there is a history that it was not a good place for black men to be after dark. If you deny that, you are a historical revisionist, because it's absolutely true.

Be real, people. Let's not pretend that big city neighborhoods are all sunshine and roses when it comes to welcoming strangers. Sox fans welcome Sox fans. Neighborhood residents don't always welcome outsiders. Count me in with the Geezers in Support of IotaNet. Iota, Torn and Nellie speak the truth. Hell, I hope things have changed so much we are all outdated. But, when I left the area in 1981, there were places you might want to avoid at night, depending on your ancestry. Of course, one thing I love most about being a Sox fan is our team and the management. We are the best of all worlds. :thumbsup:

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 02:28 AM
First and foremost, screw Bernie Mac.

Secondly, I live in Bridgeport and have a wonderful African-American girlfriend who has lived with me for the past two years. We've never had any racial problems, her kids play with the rest of the kids on the block, and we have some of the best neighbors anyone would want.

I know there's fools in every neighborhood, even here, who don't approve of it.
That's there problem, not mine.That sounds very encouraging. I must admit I wasn't sure to what extent racial progress had been made. I'm hoping that it continues to improve. The Sox must attract fans of all races to be successful. If Bridgeport continues to welcome a diverse mix of races, it will be a big step foward in strenghtening the Sox fan base.

Hendu
10-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Sorry I lost the 10 minutes of my life. If you want to hear it click on the achieve link - the segment is from 1:41.54 - 1:50.24.

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=danpatrick#

Below are direct quotes unedited. By comments are in italics. (sic) is where someone screwed up.

B Mac - "We wasn't even allowed on the North Side"

B Mac - "Growing up I wanted to hit like Carlos Lee (sic - He corrected himself later on when Dan Patrick said Carlos May and he said yes I meant May when I said Lee).

etc.

There's only one B Mac in this city as far as I'm concerned. And the 'B' does not stand for Bernie. :cool:

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 03:13 AM
There's only one B Mac in this city as far as I'm concerned. And the 'B' does not stand for Bernie. :cool:And that moment of extreme lameness distresses the Geezers in Support of IotaNet. :(:

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 03:16 AM
And that moment of extreme lameness distresses the Geezers in Support of IotaNet. :(:
Well FWC, you can't argue with the man if he calls himself BMac... :D:

OEO Magglio
10-29-2005, 03:19 AM
I hate celebrities.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Well FWC, you can't argue with the man if he calls himself BMac... :D:This from a man who calls himself "Unregistered"? :?: :moonwalk:

Hendu
10-29-2005, 03:38 AM
And that moment of extreme lameness distresses the Geezers in Support of IotaNet. :(:

:?: Sorry if I care more about the World Champion White Sox and the 2006 ROY than a celebrity's opinion. Silly me, didn't realize that referring to BMac in a forum about the White Sox would be in any way lame or offensive. :?:

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Silly me, didn't realize that referring to BMac in a forum about the White Sox would be in any way lame or offensive. :?:Referring to Brandon McCarthy with that term is quite both. It might have been cool about the time he was in grade school. :rolleyes:

Hendu
10-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Aha. The nickname has fallen out of favor. Sorry, didn't get the memo. First time I ever saw the nickname was in a thread on WSI in the first place. I do agree that the nickname and my joke were lame...sorry about that. :D: :redface:

Was worried it was lame or offensive b/c of the discussion about race relations going on in the thread.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 04:07 AM
My bad. This will be the last time I mention Brandon McCarthy, as that would be lame and offend people. :?:Nothing lame at all about Brandon McCarthy. He has a very bright future. :cool:

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 04:09 AM
Aha. The nickname has fallen out of favor. Sorry, didn't get the memo.First letter, first syllable nicknames, fortunately, died a merciful death in the last century. :D:

Hendu
10-29-2005, 04:15 AM
First letter, first syllable nicknames, fortunately, died a merciful death in the last century. :D:

Ugh...somebody please inform Redeye about this. Also, the combining of names (the #1 BoSox fan and his girlfriend) is another one that needs to go.

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Nothing lame at all about Brandon McCarthy. He has a very bright future. :cool:
LOL, the language filter blocks out the nickname now? :rolling:

I'm just sayin'... Brandon McCarthy's own WSI screen name (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=2637) (which I'm sure you know) is the nickname you hate so much. :duck:

This from a man who calls himself "Unregistered"? :?: :moonwalk:
CubSUCK, CUBBIESSUCK, Ih8CUBS, CUBSBLOW and AntiCubs were all taken at the time. :D: :D:

hsnterprize
10-29-2005, 08:25 AM
It's a real shame that now after the Sox have reached the pinnacle of greatness in sport, someone like Bernie Mac has to "stick his foot in his mouth" and reinforce such negative perceptions. And to do it on such a national stage like ESPN Radio is only going to make the stain of the Sox get even dirtier and dirtier despite the joy many in Bridgeport, Bronzeville, and other south side neighborhoods felt when the World Champs went through town.

I can't speak for Bernie, but I can speak for myself. I'm a black man who is often in Bridgeport. My in-laws work at a neighborhood paper based near 33rd and Halsted. I personally haven't received any bad treatment from the whites or hispanics living in the neighborhood. Folks I've talked with have been more than polite and friendly, and they're even more open when the topic of conversation is White Sox baseball. Morrie O'Malley's serves great food, and the people in Grandstand are more than accomodating when I walk in to window shop.

Having said that, I must confess it's taking me time to "get over" the potential fear of a problem. I was affected by the Lenard Clark beating years ago, but I was also pleased to see how the community rallied around Clark, and demanded justice against the idiots who attacked him. We as black people in general are more sensitive to news about race-based attacks simply because it's happened to us so much over time. Let's face it, when you're taught in school about people like the late Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and other icons in black history, you know that even though we've made many strides over the years, there's always one bad apple who ruins it for everyone. And in the case of Lenard Clark...there could be thousands of people in Bridgeport who are friendly, caring, and don't have a racist bone in their body. But a few teenage idiots in the name of "get out of our neighborhood" sparked outrage by attacking a young kid for the heinous crime of riding his bike through their streets. That on top of the countless stories of injustice and racism in this country...and even in this city, don't exactly just "go away" with time. I didn't hear the conversation Bernie had with Dan Patrick, but Bernie is from the south side, and I'm sure he's had some experiences that will never go away despite all the improvements made in Bridgeport and Bronzeville over the years.

Still, many of the people I've seen and interacted with were more than kind to me, and I'll say for the record that Bridgeport is a nice community. It's not trendy like Wrigleyville, but I know from personal conversations that the people who live there like the area the way it is. I can say with 100% certainty there are good people in Bridgeport, and I can be more confident that when I walk in that part of town, I won't be messed with. But just as I would be in any other area, I have to be aware of my surroundings...that's just common sense. Women in Wrigleyville have to clutch their purses and be more on the lookout after they hear about rapes and sexual assaults in that area. It's just sad that more people don't focus on that simply because the centerpiece of that part of town is more known for good times and fun rather than crime. We all know police statistics back up our notion that there's more crime happening around Wrigley than the Cell...too bad the rest of the world doesn't understand that.

If anything, I'd personally like to see more interaction between the people of Bridgeport and Bronzeville. Both are historic neighborhoods in Chicago, and it would be great if the people in both areas can work together to make that part of the city a better place. It really touched my heart to see people on Bronzeville be just as excited for the Sox as the people in Bridgeport, Pilsen, Chinatown, UIC, Greektown, and ultimately, LaSalle Street. Many people in Bronzeville can't even afford to go to a game...much less do all the things other people can. Still...the love of the Sox is ingrained in us, and we're all happy to see them on top. Hopefully, this world championship will do more than just put a feeling of civic pride in our hearts...perhaps some reconciliation in the hearts of fans, too.

TornLabrum
10-29-2005, 10:39 AM
First letter, first syllable nicknames, fortunately, died a merciful death in the last century. :D:

Only to be replaced by Harry Teinowitz and John Jurkovich with first syllable-first syllable nicknames.:mad:

oldcomiskey
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Oldcomiskey -

I'm not trying to stir up trouble -- I have too much love for Chicago, too much respect for WSI, and too much joy for what has happened with the Sox this year. :bandance:

One last thing -- I have been a Sox fan since I was 6 years old - when I went to "Sox Park" for the first time. Thee have been many, many more since then. I have lived and died with this team as long as anyone.

Anybody remember Lamar Johnson? He is my cousin! (I know "you're happy for me") but he was responsible for some of my best Sox experiences.

During the summer of 1976 (the year of the infamous shorts), I was at darned near every home game. Cooler still, I got to hang out in the clubhouse after the games! I could share some really funny stories about Chet Lemon, Ralph Garr, Oscar Gamble, and some others.

I have had the good fortune to live in both parts of this great nation--being born in chicago and now living in the southeast.. I live in a town of about 2000 people and live in a mostly white section of the county. I havent seen too many non whites out my way after dark.. the same in the black and mexican neighborhoods.

gaelhound
10-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Oldcomiskey -

One last thing -- I have been a Sox fan since I was 6 years old - when I went to "Sox Park" for the first time. Thee have been many, many more since then. I have lived and died with this team as long as anyone.

If my memory serves me right, Lamar was the April 1980 American League player of the month. I went around for about a month proclaiming Lamar Johnson is the leading candidate for American League player of the Decade! Say hello for me.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 01:49 PM
LOL, the language filter blocks out the nickname now? :rolling:I was just playing. :redneck

Pulaski
10-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Exactly correct, Torn. People talking about the nice houses being built in Bridgeport are absolutely missing the point.

Be real, people. Let's not pretend that big city neighborhoods are all sunshine and roses when it comes to welcoming strangers. Sox fans welcome Sox fans. Neighborhood residents don't always welcome outsiders.

THAT'S what IotaNet is talking about.

I personally was stating that Bernie Mac was incorrect in saying that the neighborhood is the same today as it was when he was a kid. The neighborhood has drastically changed over the last 10 years.

maurice
10-31-2005, 06:51 PM
then he said..."remember a few years ago when that father and son came out of the stands?"

Interesting that everyone is ignoring this post. Mac didn't limit his remarks to "what it was like in the '60s and '70s," and Gamboa didn't get jumped because he's black. The remarks weren't about inter-racial violence. Rather, they suggested that Sox fans generally are violent people.

The sad truth is that inter-racial violence was extremely common in all major American cities during the '60s and '70s, causing people to avoid walking on "the wrong side of the tracks." The Civil Rights Act of 1964 hit heavily segregated cities hard. Most of the folks who perpetuated the racist crap have died and/or moved to the suburbs to get away from dangerous minorities. (Plenty of middle-class blacks left as well.) For the most part, the folks who stayed on the South Side don't share that racist attitude.

Yes, it's true that Clark was jumped because he's black. That was horrible. (A fat, white Cub fan famously got jumped in the very same area, probably for being a loud-mouthed "outsider.") It's equally true that the neighborhood rallied around Clark and against the small handful of punks who jumped him. It's also true that numerous blacks work, attend school, recreate and, yes, even live in Bridgeport every day without experiencing any problems. The neighborhood also contains a large number of Chinese and Mexican families who seem to get along just fine.

MadetoOrta
10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
If my memory serves me right, Lamar was the April 1980 American League player of the month. I went around for about a month proclaiming Lamar Johnson is the leading candidate for American League player of the Decade! Say hello for me.

I wanted to sign on as SuperStar Lamar but decided on MadetoOrta. Pitch at Risk anyone? Don't Gamble With Oscar? Ahhhh I loved the Southside Hitmen! Francisco Barrios, rest in peace pal. We're all World Champs today!

TornLabrum
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Interesting that everyone is ignoring this post. Mac didn't limit his remarks to "what it was like in the '60s and '70s," and Gamboa didn't get jumped because he's black. The remarks weren't about inter-racial violence. Rather, they suggested that Sox fans generally are violent people.

The sad truth is that inter-racial violence was extremely common in all major American cities during the '60s and '70s, causing people to avoid walking on "the wrong side of the tracks." The Civil Rights Act of 1964 hit heavily segregated cities hard. Most of the folks who perpetuated the racist crap have died and/or moved to the suburbs to get away from dangerous minorities. (Plenty of middle-class blacks left as well.) For the most part, the folks who stayed on the South Side don't share that racist attitude.

Yes, it's true that Clark was jumped because he's black. That was horrible. (A fat, white Cub fan famously got jumped in the very same area, probably for being a loud-mouthed "outsider.") It's equally true that the neighborhood rallied around Clark and against the small handful of punks who jumped him. It's also true that numerous blacks work, attend school, recreate and, yes, even live in Bridgeport every day without experiencing any problems. The neighborhood also contains a large number of Chinese and Mexican families who seem to get along just fine.

If you read a little more carefully, you will note the part about inter-racial problems deals with the part in which Mac talks about taking the El south ASAP because it wouldn't be safe for him to be in the neighborhood.

SoxFan64
10-31-2005, 10:13 PM
When you look like Bernie, you do NOT hang around in Bridgeport for long after the game (Remember Lenard Clark?)

Once again folks are confusing two DIFFERENT neighborhoods. See here:

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Armour_Square,_Chicago

SouthSide_HitMen
10-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Once again folks are confusing two DIFFERENT neighborhoods. See here:

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Armour_Square,_Chicago

beating of local radio sports personality Mike North after a White Sox (http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Chicago_White_Sox) game.

IIRC someone else was trounced after a White Sox game but I cannot recall the person.

TornLabrum
10-31-2005, 10:36 PM
beating of local radio sports personality Mike North after a White Sox (http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Chicago_White_Sox) game.

IIRC someone else was trounced after a White Sox game but I cannot recall the person.

It was the guy with the Huge Show...can't think of his name now. He had the same time slot as Mac, Jurko, and Harry at ESPN-1000.

beckett21
10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
It was the guy with the Huge Show...can't think of his name now. He had the same time slot as Mac, Jurko, and Harry at ESPN-1000.

It was Bill Simonson IIRC.

TornLabrum
10-31-2005, 10:47 PM
It was Bill Simonson IIRC.

Thanks! That's the jerk's name.

maurice
11-01-2005, 04:23 PM
If you read a little more carefully, you will note the part about inter-racial problems deals with the part in which Mac talks about taking the El south ASAP because it wouldn't be safe for him to be in the neighborhood.

If you read a little more carefully, you will note that Mac didn't say or imply anything about inter-racial problems. He said that Sox fans and the neighborhood were generally dangerous:
Sox fans are rough. That incident we saw with the son & father - that has been going on - that still goes on. . . . was a [b]bad place to be, still is. I used to jump on the el as soon as the game was over and go South as fast as I could because you wouldn't want to be caught in that neighborhood after dark.
Note that he's speaking to Dan Patrick, the whitest man in America. Mac never said that the neighborhood was dangerous "for him" or for other blacks. In fact, he specifically noted that it was dangerous for Gamboa.

The claim that Mac is talking about race relations was invented from whole cloth. Race was raised for the first time by a poster in this thread, not by Mac. The quotes provided (including the part about the el) contain absolutely no indication that Mac was talking about race. Again, the Gamboa example that Mac specifically cited was not inter-racial.

MillerSoxFan
11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
When and why did Mike North get beat up after a Sox game? I never heard that.

TornLabrum
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
If you read a little more carefully, you will note that Mac didn't say or imply anything about inter-racial problems. He said that Sox fans and the neighborhood were generally dangerous:

Note that he's speaking to Dan Patrick, the whitest man in America. Mac never said that the neighborhood was dangerous "for him" or for other blacks. In fact, he specifically noted that it was dangerous for Gamboa.

The claim that Mac is talking about race relations was invented from whole cloth. Race was raised for the first time by a poster in this thread, not by Mac. The quotes provided (including the part about the el) contain absolutely no indication that Mac was talking about race. Again, the Gamboa example that Mac specifically cited was not inter-racial.

Funny, as a white person, I never felt the need to head SOUTH on the el because bridgeport was dangerous for ME after dark. I doubt the same would apply to Mr. Mac.

pssondacubs
11-02-2005, 02:36 PM
we are all Chicagoans here and we know the deal.

- IotaNet

I'm not, and I don't. Take your accusations somewhere else. Usually those who claim to know what everyone else feels are the most guilty ones of having those feelings. And they are usually wrong about everyone else.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Funny, as a white person, I never felt the need to head SOUTH on the el because bridgeport was dangerous for ME after dark. I doubt the same would apply to Mr. Mac.

I agree that as a kid BMac would have had a problem in Bridgeport after dark in the 1960s / 1970s.

The problem I had with his comments was he said White Sox fans were like that today even though he hasn't been to more than 1 or 2 games in the past 10 + years plus he now comes in a limo so I doubt he has any pulse on the neighborhood. To say "the father and son who went on the field represents White Sox fans" was false and misleading. I don't think he was intentionally trying to bash White Sox fans but rather was speaking from ignorance as he hasn't been to games since the 1960s / 1970s.

B Mac - "The Sox fans were hostile when I was growing up. They beat up Don Buford in right field (sic - The incident happened when he was on the on deck circle and Don Buford beat the drunk he made it onto the field after an incident between Buford and our pitcher). Sox fans are rough. That incident we saw with the son & father - that has been going on - that still goes on"...

B Mac - Comiskey is in the hood.

Sounds more like a Tribune "news" or "editorial" piece.

maurice
11-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Funny, as a white person, I never felt the need to head SOUTH on the el because bridgeport was dangerous for ME after dark.

He headed south because he lived south of 35th St. Should he have headed north and traveled away from his home, or would that have placed him in even greater danger? Only a truly delusional person would consider the neighborhoods south on Wentworth to be relatively safe for anybody -- black, white, or blue. If safety is what he was looking for (as opposed to his home), it would be much, much safer to head north towards downtown.

Thousands of black people lived (and continue to live) north, east, and west of the park -- not just south. Heck, hundreds of black people have lived within spitting distance of 35th and Shields for decades. They must be in constant danger! They should relocate to the safety of Englewood!
:kukoo:

Again, Mac didn't say or imply anything about inter-racial problems, and he certainly did not confine his comments to the way things used to be. No matter how hard you try to misrepresent what he actually said, Mac's own words are in this thread in black and white. He spoke about "Sox fans" generally and said that the neighborhood was and is "a bad place to be." Specifically, he never said that the neighborhood was bad "for him" or for other blacks. You just pulled that out of your ass and keep repeating your own lie. Finally, a specific example he cited involved relatively recent violence by white people against a white person, completely discrediting any notion that he was talking about the inter-racial problems of yesteryear. If all he meant was that the neighborhood was dangerous for black people back then, he obviously would not have used a recent white victim as an example.

Usually those who claim to know what everyone else feels are the most guilty ones of having those feelings. And they are usually wrong about everyone else.

Good point. Given the complete lack of any objective evidence indicating that Mac was talking about past race relations, the contrary arguments in this thread say nothing about Mac and everything about the subjective bias of the posters making the erroneous claims.

The problem I had with his comments was he said White Sox fans were like that today. . . . Sounds more like a Tribune "news" or "editorial" piece.
:thumbsup:

Deuce
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Note that he's speaking to Dan Patrick, the whitest man in America.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2222/patrickfan6jf.png

Duly noted. :wink:

IotaNet
11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I wanted to sign on as SuperStar Lamar but decided on MadetoOrta. Pitch at Risk anyone? Don't Gamble With Oscar? Ahhhh I loved the Southside Hitmen! Francisco Barrios ...LOL!

Was that fun summer or what??? ALMOST as much fun as this one.

I am still getting used to believeing that the White Sox actually won the world series!

Hangar18
11-03-2005, 05:36 PM

YES, they were cub fans. The girlfriend was asked about his SOX allegiance, and she intimated, that the bozo was actually a Cub fan

TornLabrum
11-03-2005, 06:18 PM
YES, they were cub fans. The girlfriend was asked about his SOX allegiance, and she intimated, that the bozo was actually a Cub fan

You're confusing the two incidents. Gamboa was attacked by the Ligues. The kid's mom, iirc, said that the old man wasn't much of a baseball fan period. It's Dybas who was outed by his fiancee as a Cubs fan.

SoxFan64
11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
When and why did Mike North get beat up after a Sox game? I never heard that.

A quick google search came to this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour_Square%2C_Chicago

Someone who lived in Chicago during that time could fill you in. I live in DC.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-04-2005, 01:57 AM
A quick google search came to this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour_Square%2C_Chicago

Someone who lived in Chicago during that time could fill you in. I live in DC.

The wikipedia article (and another link earlier on the thread) is wrong - Mike North was never beaten up outside of Comiskey. Bill Simonson had his ass kicked outside of Jimbo's after running his mouth. If "Mike Nort" has anything to do with Score White Sox broadcasts it may happen but to date it has not happened.

Santo=Dorf's Dad
11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Torn Labrum:

Please review remarks made by Johnathon Hood, an African-American who hosted an ESPN party in Bridgeport before you decide to paint the South Side of the great City of Chicago with a broad brush. Having grown up in the 60's on the South Side(but not in Bridgeport), I can assure that things have changed. Moreover, living in the same hometown as you, I don't think you want Joliet branded in that one moment in time when all the bridges were raised to seperate the east side from the west.

TornLabrum
11-09-2005, 12:10 AM
:redneck Torn Labrum:

Please review remarks made by Johnathon Hood, an African-American who hosted an ESPN party in Bridgeport before you decide to paint the South Side of the great City of Chicago with a broad brush. Having grown up in the 60's on the South Side(but not in Bridgeport), I can assure that things have changed. Moreover, living in the same hometown as you, I don't think you want Joliet branded in that one moment in time when all the bridges were raised to seperate the east side from the west.

Please read what I wrote again. Bernie Mac was talking about going to games years ago when it was at least perceived as being dangerous by African-Americans to be caught in the neighborhood around the ball park. And although things have improved, there have been racial incidents in recent memory, like a kid being beaten to death for riding a bike "in the shadows of Comiskey Park" (as our favorite rag would put it...and did iirc).

maurice
11-09-2005, 01:21 PM
I'd prefer not to get this thread started again, but this requires a quick correction:

a kid being beaten to death for riding a bike "in the shadows of Comiskey Park" (as our favorite rag would put it...and did iirc).

You memory is off a bit. Clark was not beaten to death, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Trib said so.
:o: