PDA

View Full Version : The Rally/Parade

TheUglyStepChild
10-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure if any of you got stuck where I did, but I showed up at 11am, right in front of the stage... and couldn't even hear a word of the entire rally. If anyone has a video of the rally on their computer... please post it.

russ99
10-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I was pretty close to the stage for the rally (on Wacker, a quarter-block west of LaSalle) and I still couldn't see or hear a thing.

The Rally was poorly planned. They really should have had it in Grant Park.

I still had an incredible time, and the awesomeness of the parade made up for the rally and the long wait for the team to arrive.

knocko94
10-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I was to the left of the stage, couldn't hear a thing. I was pissed.

TomBradley72
10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
I thought the location was pretty cool....a very historic/Chicago feel to the whole thing. But it seems like they were using the same sound system that was used for the 1917 rally.

lunchbox
10-28-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure we had the best seats in the house. 21st floor of 222 n. lasalle, right in the corner. Great view of the stage, the crowd, and the 4 second long fireworks display. Unbelievable turnout...I've never seen so many people in my life. 2nd team no more!

kevin57
10-28-2005, 04:16 PM
I was on LaSalle at Adams. Parade was beyond cool.

I sorta, kinda tried to get to the rally. Way too crowded to see any of it, so off to a bar where the sound and sights were most fine. :gulp:

Settembrini
10-28-2005, 04:21 PM
The speakers were working until just before the National Anthem, then they went out. Rumor on the street was that one of the idiots climbing the lampposts and tearing down the banners snapped the wires. So nobody on LaSalle could hear anything. Oh well, it was cool to watch anyway. And no way should it have been in Grant Park - a ticker tape parade in downtown is something historic. This isn't the NBA.

Jerko
10-28-2005, 04:27 PM
I was right by that one speaker that didn't work correctly. It didn't go completely out, but it was cutting in and out the entire time. Other than that, though, WHOOOOO what a day. The Hurt up there (I don't care what people say, he's been my favorite player for years now), PK giving the final out to JR, Hawk 'putting it on the board', Rooney, etc. This was one for the memory bank, that's for damn sure. I'll never forget it.

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I was standing in front of 222 N. LaSalle, and could barely see or hear anything. I was one of the people chanting "WE CAN'T HEAR!" The motorcade was cool -- I got to actually see El Duque, Jon Garland, and Ozzie. But between the people hoisting their kids on their shoulders, the ADULTS who sat on other people's shoulders, the people with multiple pennants/flags/placards in front of me, it was near impossible from where I was standing to see anything.

The worst part was the scumbag THIEF who climbed up the lamppost and brazenly stole one of the World Series banners. I have his photo attached here, at least the back of him. Others took video of him, so hopefully he'll get caught. I made an attempt to grab the guy to keep him from moving, but he got really feisty despite a group of us trying to hold him. Very disappointed not to see even one police officer in the area. The next jerk that climbed up the pole to steal the other banner got his comeuppance, though, in the form of being pelted with garbage and plastic bottles, and a police officer carting him off to the jeering strains of "Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" from the crowd. Idiots, both of these guys.

Anyway, the lack of sights and sounds helped ruin the rally for me. You couldn't see anyone on stage, couldn't hear anything, could barely see the video screen (positioned to the left of LaSalle, making it invisible for most people who weren't right up front). Oh well. It was a fun, festive atmosphere and I can say I was there.

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/5729/img61400dt.jpg

likeawarlord
10-28-2005, 04:33 PM
The speakers were working until just before the National Anthem, then they went out. Rumor on the street was that one of the idiots climbing the lampposts and tearing down the banners snapped the wires. So nobody on LaSalle could hear anything. Oh well, it was cool to watch anyway. And no way should it have been in Grant Park - a ticker tape parade in downtown is something historic. This isn't the NBA.

when the music cut out i figured right away that thats what had happened.

Sxy Mofo
10-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure if any of you got stuck where I did, but I showed up at 11am, right in front of the stage... and couldn't even hear a word of the entire rally. If anyone has a video of the rally on their computer... please post it.

whitesox.com has some audio, but not that much.

knocko94
10-28-2005, 04:39 PM

I was under the awning to the left there, trying to push up closer to the stage so I might actually hear something. The Na Na chant was funny.

One of the comcast guys, the short overwight one with the slick hair, pushed past me there, and gave me some crap on the way by. that guy is a total d-bag.

daveeym
10-28-2005, 04:42 PM
WGN did a great job broadcasting the rally. Went down for the parade and came back to the office to watch the rally online. Pretty entertaining.

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Here's a typical shot I took, so you can see what a zoo it was. I think that's El Duque standing up toward the back of the bus; don't know who the other guys are.

http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/6452/img61184fb.jpg

CanBuehrleWait
10-28-2005, 04:45 PM
I was on the Southeast corner of Lasalle and Wacker right under the traffic light there. It did suck when the audio went out, could only hear when the guys spoke up and everyone was slient. The video montages were awesome and bless thhat screen they had there cause I couldn't see the stage very weel. I wish they coulda fixed the audio in the end though. At least they learned they may need to bring more speakers for Next Years Rally!!!

knocko94
10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Did everyone catch the moment when that rolling advertisement in front of the parade collided with the El tracks and got stuck?

clogoodie
10-28-2005, 04:50 PM
The motorcade went way too quickly down LaSalle St...they should have slowed it down a ton so people could actually pick out the places and take some decent pictures.

I think they did a poor job with the confetti cannons...they used them sparingly as the floats & motorcades passed, and then realized, oh we have a ton of paper left...so the street was flooded with paper only after everyone passed by.

Didn't head north to the rally, but what i saw on TV and the WGN web feed looked pretty good...nice that everyone got a chance to speak, good to see Rooney, Farmer, Hawk there as well. Wish they didn't have to mention the sponsors so often and let the US Cell guy speak...but oh well.

It was absolutely beautiful to see the entire crowd with Sox stuff on, and all the banners and signs in front of buildings. Hope I got some decent pics...

TheUglyStepChild
10-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know what the estimated crowd size was? I've been hearing from friends who watched it on TV that they said it was much more than the Bulls celebrations... somewhere in the area of 1 million people... that seems like a lot... but it seemed like a lot being there... so you never know.

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2005, 04:55 PM
The confetti aftermath...

http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/1964/img61521gh.jpg

DoubleO
10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
I did not get a chance to go down to the parade, but I was able to catch it all on the net. I heard a chant when the CEO of U.S. Cellular was speaking and could not make it out? Does anyone know what was being chanted????

SAVVY18
10-28-2005, 05:01 PM
"We Can't Hear!!"

TheUglyStepChild
10-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Clap clap clapclapclap WE CAANT HEEEAR Clap clap clapclapclap!

No speakers for anyone on Lasalle... we got there at 11am to get those spots too!!!

FARMEO
10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
I was on Wacker at center stage and I couldn't even hear much. The chant didn't help, the sound never got better.

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
The confetti aftermath...

http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/1964/img61521gh.jpg

Tomorrow's Tribune headline:

"Classless Sox fans litter city streets!"

:tongue:

Chisox353014
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I was standing in front of 222 N. LaSalle, and could barely see or hear anything. I was one of the people chanting "WE CAN'T HEAR!" The motorcade was cool -- I got to actually see El Duque, Jon Garland, and Ozzie. But between the people hoisting their kids on their shoulders, the ADULTS who sat on other people's shoulders, the people with multiple pennants/flags/placards in front of me, it was near impossible from where I was standing to see anything.

The worst part was the scumbag THIEF who climbed up the lamppost and brazenly stole one of the World Series banners. I have his photo attached here, at least the back of him. Others took video of him, so hopefully he'll get caught. I made an attempt to grab the guy to keep him from moving, but he got really feisty despite a group of us trying to hold him. Very disappointed not to see even one police officer in the area. The next jerk that climbed up the pole to steal the other banner got his comeuppance, though, in the form of being pelted with garbage and plastic bottles, and a police officer carting him off to the jeering strains of "Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" from the crowd. Idiots, both of these guys.

Anyway, the lack of sights and sounds helped ruin the rally for me. You couldn't see anyone on stage, couldn't hear anything, could barely see the video screen (positioned to the left of LaSalle, making it invisible for most people who weren't right up front). Oh well. It was a fun, festive atmosphere and I can say I was there.

Cheeses, I must have been standing 20 feet away from you.
Here is a pic of the second idiot who tried taking a sign, foiled by his own pea brain:
http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/9058/moron6vh.jpg

DoubleO
10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks, the looks that Hawk and the CEO had there face was odd, we had to know here in the office.

peeonwrigley
10-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Yep, I was on LaSalle probably 100 ft from the stage and couldn't hear a damn thing.

CanBuehrleWait
10-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know what the estimated crowd size was? I've been hearing from friends who watched it on TV that they said it was much more than the Bulls celebrations... somewhere in the area of 1 million people... that seems like a lot... but it seemed like a lot being there... so you never know.
1.5 to 1.75 WAY TO GO GO GO SOX FANS. http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_301073430.html

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/studentofthegame928/detail?.dir=a1dd&.dnm=2cd6.jpg&.src=ph

Chisox353014
10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Did everyone catch the moment when that rolling advertisement in front of the parade collided with the El tracks and got stuck?

You mean this? LOL :D:

http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/965/smashsign3av.jpg

DumpJerry
10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I TIVO'd Chanel 5's coverage. I was on Washington, about 40 feet from LaSalle. Could sorta see things, but at least I got to experience the crowd's energy.

Soxstarter had a front row "seat" on LaSalle just below Washington (someone took the day off from work). Dye looked right at her!

Looking forward to next year's rally!!!

ChicagoHoosier
10-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Rally needed improvement, but was still totally worth going down and watching. We saw the floats at Adams and Lasalle, then booked up Clark and thought we wouldn't see any of the stage. Eventaully, the cops allowed the crowds to get closer and closer to the stage so we ended up in a fairly decent spot for most of the ceremoney.

All in all, we had a lot of fun. The sound REALLY got in the way and interupted some cool moments, like when they were playing the pre-game videos. I think they can learn from this and still have a parade next time but maybe end up at Grant Park or just improve the crowd control and sound system for the rally portion. I love the river location - just didn't seem to work well with the crowd.

Dolly
10-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I think it would have been hysterical if this guy popped up out of nowhere:

http://praisenet.org/images/columns/real/verizonguy.jpg

CLR01
10-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Rally needed improvement, but was still totally worth going down and watching. We saw the floats at Adams and Lasalle, then booked up Clark and thought we wouldn't see any of the stage. Eventaully, the cops allowed the crowds to get closer and closer to the stage so we ended up in a fairly decent spot for most of the ceremoney.

All in all, we had a lot of fun. The sound REALLY got in the way and interupted some cool moments, like when they were playing the pre-game videos. I think they can learn from this and still have a parade next time but maybe end up at Grant Park or just improve the crowd control and sound system for the rally portion. I love the river location - just didn't seem to work well with the crowd.

A rally at grant park would have had the same sound issues.

soxylady
10-28-2005, 05:28 PM

For video CBS has the best coverage it seems but I would check abc and nbc too.

CBS includes that great montage entitled white sox most memorable moments which you should be able to find here...(click the 'more' button for the montage)

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?cid=29

voodoochile
10-28-2005, 05:39 PM
That explains why so few people were cheering when Hawk was doing his thing. No sound so no one knew what was going on.

The video coverage was excellent, so definitely check out one of the links if you were down there.

I agree the parade was moving to quickly, but they were running really late (over an hour they said on TV) and I think they were concerned about screwing up Friday afternoon rush hour traffic by the time it got cleaned up.

WSox8404
10-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Ha. Hey cheeses I was right on the other side of that post. Everyone was throwing stuff at him to make him fall. I almost wish he did. Idiot. Then when he kept getting booed he tried to start a lets go white sox chant. Needless to say nobody joined in. Yeah I was up a little bit from that pic and I was able to see the screen off to the left. Still couldn't hear anything though. Good times though. Great parade. 1.75 million is what the news say as for how many people were there. Unreal.

salty99
10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I got to the corner of Wacker and LaSalle at around 9AM and there were a few hundred people there so I got a front row spot. The buses blazed by pretty fast and the sound was awful but at least I could see the stage. THings got crazy when they moved the barriers and people tried rushing by the cops.

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Ha. Hey cheeses I was right on the other side of that post. Everyone was throwing stuff at him to make him fall. I almost wish he did. Idiot. Then when he kept getting booed he tried to start a lets go white sox chant. Needless to say nobody joined in. Yeah I was up a little bit from that pic and I was able to see the screen off to the left. Still couldn't hear anything though. Good times though. Great parade. 1.75 million is what the news say as for how many people were there. Unreal.

That photo is the first guy, the "Cat Thief" as I like to call him. It took him about 30 seconds to get up there, slide the banner off the poles, and take off in the crowd.

The second guy (in the green shirt photo posted above) was the one you're thinking of. I couldn't tell what he was yelling at the crowd when it was obvious he wasn't going to succeed without getting arrested. "Let's go White Sox" indeed. :rolleyes:

Chez
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
I was there and was surprised at how many of the people in the crowd (I won't call them fans) were classless morons. Pushing, shoving, cutting in line etc. Reminded me of recess in third grade. Not cool.

veeter
10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I was at the parade with my wife and kids. We were just north of Jackson. We got there early so we were in the front row. The place was electric. People were saying this isn't cub town anymore and stuff like that. Heck I don't think this is even a bears town anymore. A guy there said he was at the Bears rally in '85 and that there were more people there today. Of course it wasn't 10 degrees.

chisoxfanatic
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I was about 200 feet from the corner of LaSalle and Wacker right on LaSalle and couldn't hear a thing; but, I'm thankful to be able to say I was part of this whole thing! Way to go, Sox fans.

I saw Skobabe and Converted at Sbarro afterwards...Good seeing both of you!

Does anyone know if the ENTIRE rally will be put on DVD?

HotelWhiteSox
10-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Wow, just got back, what an awesome experience, I knew this would be the moment it all sank in. Great to see a train packed with Sox fans in the morning, and the location was great as we just walked straight down Adams to LaSalle and got a great view (2-3 deep?). I had some pics, but it was all a blur when the players came so they weren't the best looking pics. Great to see the guys up close, surreal, Jon, Crede, Duque, Contreras, Pods (and fiance :cool:), Buerhle, Ozzie, Uribe pointing to his bicep, awesome. The best part was how the Sox took over the city. If you didn't have Sox gear on then you weren't seen in public

As far as the rally, I had similar experiences to those hear. I tried going a street up from LaSalle and walking to Wacker, couldn't really get a view. Then, LaSalle was open so I tried to get as close as possible but you could only see the top of the stage and couldn't hear anything. I couldn't get a great view of the jumbotron either, but some guys had radios and would give PBP, singing 'We are the champions' was awesome.

Then, as I backed off a little, I saw another jumbotron, but there was no sound, but I could actually get a view so it was good. I'm guessing bafiarocks was around there since they showed Ozney and the kids and a group of middle/high school girls went nuts

http://images.snapfish.com/3453768%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2357%3D7%3B6%3D789%3 DXROQDF%3E2323%3B96%3C9%3A235ot1lsi

Here's a typical shot I took, so you can see what a zoo it was. I think that's El Duque standing up toward the back of the bus; don't know who the other guys are.

http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/6452/img61184fb.jpg

Yep, that was awesome seeing El Duque with his cigar, and that's Contreras in the blue

Just a couple other pics from one of my memory cards

http://images.snapfish.com/3453768%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2357%3D7%3B6%3D789%3 DXROQDF%3E2323%3B96%3C9%3A266ot1lsi
Cotts on the left while Buerhle gets interviewed

http://images.snapfish.com/3453768%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2357%3D7%3B6%3D789%3 DXROQDF%3E2323%3B96%3C9%3A265ot1lsi
Pods

http://images.snapfish.com/3453768%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2357%3D7%3B6%3D789%3 DXROQDF%3E2323%3B96%3C9%3A254ot1lsi
Grinder Ball Rule 162

http://images.snapfish.com/3453768%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2357%3D7%3B6%3D789%3 DXROQDF%3E2323%3B96%3C9%3A23%3Aot1lsi
Priceless

Brewski
10-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I was right near the speakers to the left of the stage that kept cutting in and out and I could hear, most of the time. The problem was that from that point I couldn't see the video screen. There should have been several. I could even see the guys at the mic, if I stood on my toes. Even if the rally had been in Millennium Park, the parade was what made the day for the maximum number of people. BTW, there would have been a smaller crowd on Saturday, IMHO. There are simply more folks downtown on a workday (who works, anyway).

Chisox353014
10-28-2005, 06:20 PM
That photo is the first guy, the "Cat Thief" as I like to call him. It took him about 30 seconds to get up there, slide the banner off the poles, and take off in the crowd.

The second guy (in the green shirt photo posted above) was the one you're thinking of. I couldn't tell what he was yelling at the crowd when it was obvious he wasn't going to succeed without getting arrested. "Let's go White Sox" indeed. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that first guy had some sort of blade with him. He wasn't up there long. The second guy tried for like 2 minutes to slide the banner off and failed miserably. Then he tried the chant and got booed and pelted with garbage. LOL

bringfrankback
10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddiemiller/

some close ups of hawk, jenks, paulie, and aj!

bringfrankback
10-28-2005, 06:25 PM
I was on wacker about....150 feet from the podium and the sound was bad but i was definitely able to hear paulie say "ive got somethin for you Jerry" and most of the stuff Hawk said. Man it felt great to sing "We are the Champions" with everyone!

forkball
10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I was on the parade route along Harrison, It was awesome!:)

Sox of White
10-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that first guy had some sort of blade with him. He wasn't up there long. The second guy tried for like 2 minutes to slide the banner off and failed miserably. Then he tried the chant and got booed and pelted with garbage. LOL

First guy definitely had a blade. But, I liked it when people threw stuff at idiot number two. I was on the east side of the street right by that whole business.

nasox
10-28-2005, 06:39 PM
First guy definitely had a blade. But, I liked it when people threw stuff at idiot number two. I was on the east side of the street right by that whole business.

The only problem with the idiots throwing stuff was that they were throwing change (MONEY!) at him. Wow. And then these tools kept on throwing stuff despite some lady asking them not too because her kids were getting hit.

Law11
10-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Off tho the west of the stage we had a decent view right under the jumbotron.

Whole lotta fun. Whole lot of pictues.

Revolution29
10-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Then, as I backed off a little, I saw another jumbotron, but there was no sound, but I could actually get a view so it was good. I'm guessing bafiarocks was around there since they showed Ozney and the kids and a group of middle/high school girls went nuts

http://images.snapfish.com/3453768%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2357%3D7%3B6%3D789%3 DXROQDF%3E2323%3B96%3C9%3A235ot1lsi

I was right by that screen. Couldnt hear a thing, which was kinda dissapointing, especially because there had been sound before the rally started. This whole thing seemed like it could have been a bit better planned.

Oh well. It was one of the most surreal sights I've ever seen, just seeing all that confeti flying around and the fans on the train there and back and the people just flocking down the streets. Unbelievable. Really no other words to describe it, and I think that I'm still alittle stunned from the whole thing. So glad I had the chance to be there.

Randar68
10-28-2005, 06:49 PM
We were on Wacker about a half block west from the stage, but the police were holding us there and Wacker was entirely empty... I fugured that had to be letting everyone get closer after the parade was finished, so we stuck it out even though people were leaving and trying to flank the police officers...

Sure enough, after the busses pulled past and parked, the police slowly moved back until we were all the way by the stage. I was standing just to the west of Giangreco and the media set-up and we had a great view and could hear everything. Really appreciate being tall at events like this...

Was amazing how close we got, even though we got there a bit later. We weren't as concerned with the parade and went for the stage, stuck it out after surveying the scene and guessing what they'd do with the crowd on Wacker, and ended up with just the most amazing view of it all. I didn't have my camera and my buddy didn't think to bring his, so we were SOL except for my crappy camera-phone.

Great experience except for some retarded delinquints who were crying about us being let up to that point and decided to start throwing coins at us. If it wasn't a "celebration" kid would have learned the meaning of pain...

woodenleg
10-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I was at the parade with my wife and kids. We were just north of Jackson. We got there early so we were in the front row. The place was electric. People were saying this isn't cub town anymore and stuff like that. Heck I don't think this is even a bears town anymore. A guy there said he was at the Bears rally in '85 and that there were more people there today. Of course it wasn't 10 degrees.

Actually, most people I saw were rather well-behaved, considering how squeezed in we were at times. I kept expecting to see some crabby faces telling people to 'move' or whatever, but people handled themselves well.

I've got a lot of pics - I'll have to take a look at them and put up the
better ones.

90blackcrx
10-28-2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p1e0e3f556cf7fd0d2091518c8c2e2716/f1b3b258.jpgHere are some of my pics, I was at Lassale

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p84d611b0a9f2f6495413e574b0649329/f1b3cb10.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pb87a0fbf65ae18a6547ea827deb7784b/f1b3c5d9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p74dec689d9e461c207ad8a959b1a1e52/f1b3c0d1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p4fb5572a83acc11b389cda930e70d72c/f1b3bc3a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pfddda010ffde910503306f7fe9ab9de2/f1b3b873.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
10-28-2005, 07:10 PM
I started by parking my car by the UIC Pavillion and waving to the motorcade from the corner of Harrison and Racine. That was a smart move because the crowd was small and I could see all the ballplayers as they waved back to us.

Then I parked downtown and watched the motorcade from Lasalle and Lake, under the el. The crowds were huge and I could hardly see anything but the atmosphere was great with all the confetti raining down on everyone. Lasalle Bank's float had a large sign that was 12 inches too tall and it got stuck as they went underneath the eL tracks. That was pretty cool.

By the time the parade ended there was a real mob forming. I managed to squeeze my way into the center of Lasalle north of Lake and 50 feet behnd the TV crane, but I couldn't hear anything. After the fireworks and F-16's flew over, I decided to duck back through the crowd and head over to Monk's at Wells and Lake. There were Sox Fans everywhere cheering as we all watched on TV. I found a spot at the bar and had lunch with a Guinness and the last big Sox show of 2005! Very nice!

Then it was back to the streets. I got pictures of myself wearing my Sox cap in front of all the Sox-clad civic landmarks, including the Picasso, the Art Institute lions, the sock-wearing Bowmen on Congress, the CBOT's Ceres goddess statue, and various congratulatory signs hanging along Lasalle Street.

By this point I was feeling pretty good so I drove down to Bridgeport because I wanted to buy some souvenirs at Grandstand but there was a line stretching around the corner all the way to the alley, so I took a pass and just drove home.

I thought the whole parade concept was just great and 1000-times better than holding anything in Grant Park. The scene with all the tall buildings, the Chicago River, the dual bridge towers, the ticker tape, and all those fans crammed up and down Lasalle and Wacker was very special like nothing the Bulls ever had. If the city had only added a couple dozen more loudspeakers up and down the streets everything would have been perfect.

This is how a BIG CITY ought to have a parade. Kudos to the City of Chicago for knowing how to throw a party for its heroes.

:thumbsup:

:hizzoner
"My kid did good."

TomBradley72
10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
I started by parking my car by the UIC Pavillion and waving to the motorcade from the corner of Harrison and Ashland. That was a smart move because the crowd was small and I could see all the ballplayers as they waved back to us.

Then I parked downtown and watched the motorcade from Lasalle and Lake, under the el. The crowds were huge and I could hardly see anything but the atmosphere was great with all the confetti raining down on everyone. Lasalle Bank's float had a large sign that was 12 inches too tall and it got stuck as they went underneath the eL tracks. That was pretty cool.

By the time the parade ended there was a real mob forming. I managed to squeeze my way into the center of Lasalle north of Lake and 50 feet behnd the TV crane, but I couldn't hear anything. After the fireworks and F-16's flew over, I decided to duck back through the crowd and head over to Monk's at Wells and Lake. They're were Sox Fans everywhere cheering as we all watched on TV. I found a spot at the bar and had lunch with a Guinness and the last big Sox show of 2005! Very nice!

Then it was back to the streets. I got pictures of myself wearing my Sox cap in front of all the Sox-clad civic landmarks, including the Picasso, the Art Institute lions, the sock-wearing Bowmen on Congress, the CBOT's Ceres goddess statue, and various congratulatory signs hanging along Lasalle Street.

By this point I was feeling pretty good so I drove down to Bridgeport because I wanted to buy some souvenirs at Grandstand but there was a line stretching around the corner all the way to the alley, so I took a pass and just drove home.

I thought the whole parade concept was just great and 1000-times better than holding anything in Grant Park. The scene with all the tall buildings, the Chicago River, the dual bridge towers, the ticker tape, and all those fans crammed up and down Lasalle and Wacker was very special like nothing the Bulls ever had. If the city had only added a couple dozen more loudspeakers up and down the streets everything would have been perfect.

This is how a BIG CITY ought to have a parade. Kudos to the City of Chicago for knowing how to throw a party for its heroes.

:thumbsup:

:hizzoner
"My kid did good."

Sounds like you "had yourself a day"! Great job....and a great write up....I agree the LaSalle "canyon" was a much better location then Grant Park...the sound issue was the only glitch of the day...what the hell...that's what TIVO is for.
:cheers:

whitesoxwilkes
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Taking full advantage of the fact that I played baseball hooky for the last time in 2005, I got to see our heroes twice--once as they passed a block from my house and then again from the GF's office at Lasalle and Madison.

PHG--We almost went to Monks, but it was a zoo even for my standards. Ended up eating a triple cheezeborger and a couple beers over at the Billy Goat.

My pictures are here (http://flickr.com/photos/74923873@N00/sets/1234630/). I didn't rotate them or edit out the blurry ones, so forgive me.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-28-2005, 07:19 PM

If that was the extent of the "looting" than outside of the poor sound the event went off well. With hundreds of thousands of people I am glad 99.9% of the people behaved and had a good time. Glad you wre there cheeses - hope you taped it so you can here what was said.

PS - The lack of sound probably explained why nobody was singing "Don't Stop Believing" at the end (and for your sake your probably glad you didn't hear it - AJ, Crede & Co. should NOT quit their day (and night) jobs).

Sarah
10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
I had a fantastic time today - I was on LaSalle, between Lake and Wacker, for the parade (quite close to the el - I definitely saw the sign/float hit the el, hilarious moment there).

I moved up closer for the rally - I ended up sitting on a barricade during the rally - I could see everything quite clearly from up there (it was great for me, a short girl, to have something to put me up over the crowd). I was right underneath the guy who attempted to get the banner off of the post and failed.

Even though I couldn't hear anything, someone got the audio on his phone or radio, and was telling us exactly what the players were saying.

After the rally, I walked up an alley to Clark, where I wanted to cross the river to visit my sister at work (my poor sister couldn't get off to see the parade - so sad). However, I could not pass, thanks to the team busses, which the team was boarding as I went up there. The players were signing balls and shirts that people were throwing up to them - Iguchi had a grin on his face from ear to ear and probably signed twenty or more balls before the busses pulled away.

Absolutely fantastic day for me.

CJLove23
10-28-2005, 07:30 PM
I got so frustrated because we got there at around 11:30 am and parked to where I thought we'd have a perfect view. Then this guy with a walkie talkie (who thought he was the mayor) came and told us we all had to move. So then we were all stuck on the Bridge on Clark street (I think). I had to keep having my poor friend put me on his shoulder's cause I didn't see a thing! (I'm a munchkin at 5'4) I saw Mark Buehrle jump on the ledge and wave at us, he was so cool. Only player to direct his attention by us. Then we couldn't hear a thing :(: But it was so nice seeing them on the busses! They all looked like rock stars to me today!! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
If that was the extent of the "looting" than outside of the poor sound the event went off well. With hundreds of thousands of people I am glad 99.9% of the people behaved and had a good time. Glad you wre there cheeses - hope you taped it so you can here what was said.

I Tivo'd the whole parade (hopefully -- haven't watched it yet), so it'll go on the massive 2005 White Sox Postseason DVD set I'm making. I have the clinching game against Detroit, all the ALDS/ALDS/WS games (including the 6-hour marathon), and now the parade. I'm making 4 sets (for me and 3 family members), all in real time, so I know what I'll be doing for pretty much the entire next month.

:gulp:

getonbckthr
10-28-2005, 08:28 PM
i'll be honest i was pretty disappointed. My sister, her friend and myself got to wacker and lasalle around 9:00 thinking that the earlier you got there the better off you would be, not true. I was to the left of the stage basically even with the jumbo tron behind the railings. When we arrived we were told that we had to go behing the railings because the other side of the railing in the middle of wacker was reserved for security and the press, no problem. We figured we would have a good shot at the stage for pictures and stuff. All of a sudden around 1030-1100 people started packing up around the corner of wacker and wells I believe. police officers then went over there basically acting like a human barricade. All of a sudden the officers got the ok to bring all the people from wells and wacker up to the front of the stage basically ruining any chance of us fans who had been there since early morning of seeing anything going on. Now I saw a post about coins being thrown, and yes that was classless, and I didn't part take in that, but I felt it was unfair that i got there early, was told it was reserved for the media and security, and then see regular people who didn't show up until around 11 get the best spots available. Quite simply rediculous.

johnny bench
10-28-2005, 10:12 PM
OK. Now that the boring downtown parade is over, when is the South-Side Sox championship parade down Western?

doublem23
10-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I got off the Blue Line at Clark and Lake and walked over to LaSalle around 10-10:30ish, got a free T-shirt from the Pontiac people and then just walked up LaSalle towards Wacker as far as I could go before I had to stop... Ended up just in front of 225 LaSalle, maybe 100 yards short of Wacker Dr. When they opened up the street, I ended up like 40 feet away from the intersection, could barely hear anything, but it was great anyway. I'll take a championship rally with technical difficulties over no parade at all. :smile:

Anyways, the real cool part of the day was after the rally, my girlfriend and I headed over to the Picasso and then to the Art Institute to take pictures of the icons with Sox hats on. As we're walking over to Michigan Ave, right across the street from the new bandbox at Millennium Park, we hear the sirens of the Police escort as they took the Sox down Michigan back to the Cell, apparently, so we saw them one more time as they rushed down Michigan Ave. Mark was holding the trophy and Paul had a yellow legal pad that said, "Thank You!".

A great day... Now I have to work for like 8 hours, after driving back to Peoria in rush hour traffic, but it was worth it. One of the best days of my life. I'll post some of the pics we got when they get developed.

Go Sox! I could get used to these parades. :D:

WCCMIKE
10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey guys did that cta bus take a wrong turn or it was suppose to be in the parade:D:

IronFisk
10-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Alrighty, my experience has been echoed within the other posts. Crowded in, great atmosphere on LaSalle, players waiving, connfetti shooting, and of course - NO SOUND!

Being a Hoosier, I took the South Shore in from East Chicago with my wide-eyed seven year old in tow, actually deciding to go to see da Sox than TWO halloween parties at his school - YESSS!!!

End of the line is Randolph, so thats where we came in at. I basically knifed my way to about 4-5 deep. A couple of bad attitudes from other parents, but overall a nice spot. I will say this - compared to the frenzy and warmth of the fans in Bridgeport, these people seemed downright surly.

Anyhow, my son got a great view of all of it on my shoulders, and so did I. After the players went by, we turned to see that jumbotron - but it wasn't working well. So, I decide to join the wave of fans decending on the rally. Again, knifing in, I THOUGHT I had a pretty decent position - far, but surely within ear shot of the loudspeakers, right? NOPE! Barely a word, but at least I take some tiny comfort that EVERYONE had issues with this.

At that time, me son was hungry and cranky (can't see, can't hear - can't blame him!). We did go back around the jumbotron (that was working now - but with NO SOUND?!?!). My son wanted none of that, BUT did find a couple of boxes of unused connfetti, and proceeded to pummel me with it. Everyone around us got a kick out of it - at least it cheered him up for a while.

After some Mickey D's, it was back to station for the 2:35, where 10 cars were already filled to the gills.

Overall, great day, and like most of you, just BEING THERE will go with us well for the rest of our days!

Oh yeah, the COWBELL was with us too! As for pics, seems like all those posted look like mine :redneck. So...here's one NOBODY will have!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/SamSox.jpg

Son of IronFisk - SAMSOX!

SoxandtheCityTee
10-28-2005, 10:58 PM
We got to a point on Jackson just east of LaSalle at the same time as the double deckers arrived and made the turn, but it was impossible for us to get all the way over to LaSalle and we went back to Clark Street and started walking north quickly to Wacker. Turns out we were moving at about the same pace as the buses as they went north on LaSalle, and we saw them, and the crowd and the ticker tape clouds, by looking west as we reached each cross street and alley (all of these streets were closed to traffic, obviously). At Clark and Wacker we were stuck, but then after the players arrived, the police let us swing left onto Wacker and fill up the street -- I moved with the crowd about half a block west, toward LaSalle.

Standing in the middle of Wacker and to the east of the stage, I could see the screen and hear all the sound. After the rally ended I headed -- slowly -- west on Wacker to LaSalle and turned left (south) on LaSalle, and just as I was making the turn a speaker on the southeast corner of the intersection came back on -- Nancy Faust was playing the organ. People laughed and said "perfect timing" and things like that, but generally seemed too happy to be upset. I walked down to Lake Street and west from there -- the roadway was covered by shredded newspaper several inches deep. My group had anticipated getting separated from each other and we'd agreed to meet at Monk's, on Lake west of Wells. Every single person in there was a Sox fan.

What an incredible week. I will never forget it.

bringfrankback
10-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Me and my dad left the 9:24 train out of Franklin Park. We had to stand but it was great, all Sox fans. We got our spot for the parade on Lasalle right across from Northern Bank and Trust (i think thats the name) front row at about 1030. We had great seats so that was awesome. http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddiemiller/
Some good pics right there. AFter the parade we went to the rally, we actually got pretty close we were about 100 feet away from the stage down wacker, the other side from the jumbotron. I could hear maybe half the things that people said. It was wonderful though. What a great celebration from a great team.

Best Moment: Singing "We are the Champions" with 1.4 million people
Close runner up: Ozzie "Ive got one more thing to say...ILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!"
2nd runner up: Paulie "We'll have to do it again next year!" (the only thing that'll prove to people that this team is for real)

southsider13
10-28-2005, 11:24 PM
We got there a little late, but was still able to get in the front row of the thing. Great time during the parade...jumping for the stuff they were giving out, starting up the chants, going crazy when the players passed by, choking on the confetti. Though I was quite surpised by the spirit of one photographer, not sure if he was with any organization but he was sitting on thisp latform next to the confetti cannons with a lot of other fans. Then a small kid went on top of it to get a better view and the guy told him that he had to get off or he's gonna push him off once the parade comes by. Then the crowd pretty much told him off and got the kid back up there.

Though I was disappointed by the rally...couldn't hear or see anything. :(:

bafiarocks03
10-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Clap clap clapclapclap WE CAANT HEEEAR Clap clap clapclapclap!

No speakers for anyone on Lasalle... we got there at 11am to get those spots too!!!

11!?? I got there at 8:30!!!! I had a absolutly great spot!!! I was standing at the corner right by the stage! umm under the clock/temp box thing that hangs from the building! there were like 6 rows i'd say of people in front of me! So i was really close! I was so lucky to have been standing next to one of the railing things, cuz i got to stand/sit on that! And i was higher then everyone else! So it was wonderful!

My plan..was to video them going by on the buses..and I did! But I was just holding my camera in the air hopeing that i got the players on it! Know myself right, i shouldn't have done that cuz, yea that didnt' work, i got some players! And when i saw Willie on the bus! I kinda just lost it!! But yea, then we all squeezed up to the front..so i was in front of the stage! I wish i could have been a little closer! you knwo it really sucks being 5'2! I couldnt' see much, besides looking inbetween people to see the screen or going on my tipetoes to see the stage!

So I got some decent pictures! Some are excelent!! Of Wilie and Ozney next to each other!! Oh OH OH! and how ironic..is it that The 1st person Hawk calls to the mic...oh oh oh WILLIE HARRIS..and i kinda died at that point! I was crying! i don't knwo what Willie said..or did..i was trying to get a picture but that didn't work to well! i didn't know where the podium was to the rest of the stage so i didn't knwo where to point my camera! I kinda just stuck it in the air hoping to get something! and that sorta worked! So yea, i saw my William up there! Then at the end when Hawk was like i'd like to call Ozzie Jr. Oney and Ozney up here..I was like WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!! the guy in front of me was kinda looking at me funny..like it's just ozzie's kids! haha! I couldn't believe he did that! Ozney looked absolutly amazing up there! And Oney was videotaping it all!

and when Perry was up there singing with A.J, and Aaron, and Mark, and Joe, i was crying cuz it was sooo cute!! and Ozzie was like i dont' knwo the words! lol! So i'm watching the replay of it nowOMG!! Willie was like GROUPPPPPPPPPP 4!!!!! He's the leader of that! hehe! I lvoe him to death! And Pauleee had little Nicholas up there! HOw cute was that! ok i think that's enough! hehe!
GO WHITE SOX!

Ok here are some of my pictures! mostly before the stage..i'll get you those later.. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7433866&uid=3611291

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 12:19 AM
I had to work but, fortunately, I was able to go to the rally on my lunch break. I got to Wacker and LaSalle about 12:40 and I got packed like a sardine in the middle of the crowd. I couldn't see the stage or the players or any video and I could barely hear anything. But, I was happy to be there. I had to be there. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. As others here have said, it was an AWESOME experience.

I also want to add that, as far as I know, there was no violence or rioting, none of the bad stuff that fans in other cities attach to Sox fans. The fans were well-behaved, patient and in some instances very polite. I'll never forget this season. I'll never forget this day!

Thank you White Sox and thank you White Sox fans. I can only imagine what the crowd would have looked like had the rally been held on Saturday. I think we showed this city something we knew all along -- that we really love our team and that we are the best baseball fans in this city!

markopat
10-29-2005, 12:29 AM
I watched the Parade and Presentation afterwards on the 60" Sony in Gilbert, AZ and it was awesome!!!!

Go Go SOX!

FedEx227
10-29-2005, 12:33 AM
I can only imagine what the crowd would have looked like had the rally been held on Saturday.

I couldn't imagine there'd be anymore room, the whole street was full on a Friday afternoon, god knows where the other people would've been.

BarbG
10-29-2005, 01:41 AM
I also want to add that, as far as I know, there was no violence or rioting, none of the bad stuff that fans in other cities attach to Sox fans. The fans were well-behaved, patient and in some instances very polite.
How GREAT was that? This crowd was beyond remarkably well-behaved, friendly, and polite. Which made a great experience that much better.

A few working speakers along LaSalle would have been a good idea, however. I never expected to be able to see anything but if we only could have HEARD what was being said I think the crowd reaction would have been off the charts.

HotelWhiteSox
10-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Something else I wanted to add, I loved that all the players were with their families. This may sound weird or lame, but it felt like there was a bond, with the players, organization, and fans all being a part of one big family

Jjav829
10-29-2005, 02:28 AM
What an awesome day. That was one of those things I'll never forget. I started out somewhere on LaSalle. I moved around a lot trying to find a good spot and finally managed to get into an area that was only about 6 deep. The ticker tape part of the parade was a great moment. It seemed like Paulie and Jenks got the biggest reaction where I was. It was kind of hard to see some of the players since they were splitting sides on the buses. Everett seemed to be having a fun time. Once they all passed I sprinted down Clark and cut over to LaSalle. I knew all that cardio would come in handy some day!:smile: I beat thousands of people down to Wacker by running while everyone else was walking. When I first got there I was pretty far back. I managed to slowly but steadily move up. I ended up about 100-125 feet away from the screen and with a nice stoplight in the way.

I heard about 10 words of the entire rally. That was tremendously disappointing. I felt like we really missed out on some great reactions because no one could hear. I was part of the "We can't hear" chant as well as several other chants that broke out about the sound. It was still fun. We basically cheered anytime we heard others cheering. I taped the celebration on TV and heard some clips on the radio which helped clarify what some of the cheers were for.

Paulie stole the show. I think we had about 4 different "Re-sign Paulie!" chants, some while he was up there, some while those in charge of re-signing him (KW, Jerry) were up there. He also had the top two moments on stage by giving Jerry the ball and sticking it to the media haters. On the right side of Wacker we managed to get a "Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose" chant going when Contreras was finished. Joining everyone else in singing "We are the Champions" was the best moment and the crowd trying to sing "Don't Stop Believing" was easily the funniest. It was nice to hear a chant for every player who spoke. I tried to start a "Re-peat" chant at the end but that didn't catch on.

Congratulations, Sox fans! I think we represented our fanbase very well. I was very impressed by the turnout. It was a madhouse downtown, but a tremendous experience. I think we gave the team a very fitting welcome and it seemed like they enjoyed it as much as we did.

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Me and my dad left the 9:24 train out of Franklin Park. We had to stand but it was great, all Sox fans. We got our spot for the parade on Lasalle right across from Northern Bank and Trust (i think thats the name) front row at about 1030. We had great seats so that was awesome. http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddiemiller/
Some good pics right there. AFter the parade we went to the rally, we actually got pretty close we were about 100 feet away from the stage down wacker, the other side from the jumbotron. I could hear maybe half the things that people said. It was wonderful though. What a great celebration from a great team.

Best Moment: Singing "We are the Champions" with 1.4 million people
Close runner up: Ozzie "Ive got one more thing to say...ILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!"
2nd runner up: Paulie "We'll have to do it again next year!" (the only thing that'll prove to people that this team is for real)I should be trying to get some sleep tonight but I'm still giddy from the experience today. I'm glad you reminded me about singing "We are the Champions." The crowd really got into that song. Oh, and thanks for the pics. I couldn't get any decent shots because I couldn't see anybody, but I did see the hairy guy with "Sox" shaved into his chest. You gotta love Sox fans. :redneck

hsnterprize
10-29-2005, 09:29 AM
While I'm more than happy at being a Sox fan and celebrating a championship, my experience at the parade/rally was definitely less-than-stellar. Starting from the train ride from Midway to Clark and Lake, this was a learning experience I'll not soon forget.

Me, my wife, and our 3 kids (ages 3, 2, and 11 months) got to the Midway el station around 10:30. Normally, there isn't a lot of people there. Not yesterday. The crowds were humongous...it was WORSE than any rush hour I've ever seen. It was so crowded, the 8 CTA farecard machines all broke down...they were filled to capacity with dollar bills, and were only taking in coins. People were getting upset, and taking it out on the workers...it wasn't the workers' fault, but they were taking a lot of heat. Finally, someone decided to just let the people in for free.

Once we got on the train, it was super-crowded. Granted, just about everyone was in Sox gear, and that was a great sight to see. But being that cooped up in a train car from the very first stop wasn't the best experience I've ever had. Thankfully, my wife and kids were alright, and I was able to help some other people who were being waved to and fro as the train stopped at each stop.

We got off at Clark and Lake, and La Salle Street was already several rows deep. We thought we could get around and get closer to the stage by walking down Clark to Wacker and turning left. Boy...were we wrong. As soon as we got to Clark and Wacker, we saw a police barricade blocking our way, and many other people followed us...we ended up being stuck at that intersection. We couldn't hear any of the parade going on...it would've been nice just to hear the cheering crowds as the players were driging down the street. And since I'm 6',2", I could barely see the JumboTron at the left of the rally stage. I could see TV pictures of the buses driving from place to place, and could also hear Nancy Faust playing her organ. And being around all those fans was also pretty neat. I don't remember how long we waited for the buses to arrive, but with 3 toddler-aged kids in tow, it seemed like it took forever. They were getting ancy, tired, restless, and hard to handle. It wasn't life or death, but it wasn't always fun.

The buses ended up parking in the blocked-off area where we were, so we got to see the players, staff, and trophy just like everyone else. The only drawback was we were on the south side of the street, and the trolleys where the Sox staff were parked on our side of the street, and the buses on the left. We all chanted "MOVE THAT TROLLEY!!! MOVE THAT TROLLEY!!!" over and over again until the driver finally did just that. Then we let out a huge cheer when we saw the players and KW with that trophy in his arms. Even though me and Kendra were tuckered out from dealing with, we summoned up the strength to hold our kids up when we saw the players. I told the older boys, "You're watching history here. There are people who waited decades for this, and you're blessed to only having to wait a few years." God forbid we have to wait another 46 years to do this again.

The players walked to the stage, and that was pretty much the end of it for us. Like many of you, we couldn't hear ANYTHING from the stage. I saw on the JumboTron someone mouthing the national anthem. I said, "Here's a problem...there's someone on the stage singing the national anthem, and we can't hear it." A lot of the people laughed. Before the players started talking, Kendra and I pretty much decided to leave. It was pretty neat to see all the confetti and Sox fans walking on the streets. I'd estimate about half the people I saw were wearing some kind of Sox apparel, whether it was a cap, jersey, T-shirt, or something.

I was pretty upset about this at first, but after seeing the pictures on TV of the motorcade, the parade on LaSalle, and all the other stuff, I changed my perspective. We were a part of history like many of you. We can honestly say that we were among the nearly 2 million members of the Sox Army to celebrate our heroes return. Like Paulie said, "2nd team no more". Let that team on the north side have their ivy, their bar scene, their celebrities, and all that other fluff. We have a World Series Championship...they can't top that!!!!!!! I DVR'd Comcast Sports Net's coverage of the parade later that night, so it was good to see and hear everything clearly on TV.

And here's a suprise...CLTV is promoting a Sox championship tribute book like they did when the Cubs won their division in '03. I guess when you win it all, you don't have a choice considering all the love you gave to your corporately-owned team, huh?

hsnterprize
10-29-2005, 09:35 AM
...when we got off the train heading home, some guy walks right to us with no provocation from us. He handed my wife a brand new Sox cap and a "Sox Pride" black wristband still in the wrapper. He told her, "Here...you can have this. I'm a Cub fan." He was wearing his Cub cap as he was walking away.

I admit it seemed crazy to be wearing Cubs apparel, but Kendra and I gave him his props for being honest about it. It's too easy to jump on the Sox bandwagon right now, so despite his preferences, I'd like to say thanks, and here's to another Sox championship...we'd like some more free stuff.

Brian26
10-29-2005, 11:42 AM

Although I agree with you that it was almost nearly impossible to hear or see anything when the rally began, I still wouldn't trade the experience for staying at home and watching on tv. It was amazing to be around so many well-behaved Sox fans. It was a beautiful and historic day, and you'll always be able to say you were there.

I've got the entire event on tape...I just need to find 4 hours to sit down and watch it now :D: I saw some of the highlights on the 4:30 news yesterday. The Pauly/Jerry moment was pretty emotional.

Law11
10-29-2005, 03:34 PM
We were on Wacker about a half block west from the stage, but the police were holding us there and Wacker was entirely empty... I fugured that had to be letting everyone get closer after the parade was finished, so we stuck it out even though people were leaving and trying to flank the police officers...

Sure enough, after the busses pulled past and parked, the police slowly moved back until we were all the way by the stage. I was standing just to the west of Giangreco and the media set-up and we had a great view and could hear everything. Really appreciate being tall at events like this...

Was amazing how close we got, even though we got there a bit later. We weren't as concerned with the parade and went for the stage, stuck it out after surveying the scene and guessing what they'd do with the crowd on Wacker, and ended up with just the most amazing view of it all. I didn't have my camera and my buddy didn't think to bring his, so we were SOL except for my crappy camera-phone.

Great experience except for some retarded delinquints who were crying about us being let up to that point and decided to start throwing coins at us. If it wasn't a "celebration" kid would have learned the meaning of pain...

I was atthe front of that group that was let up after the motorcade parked.
The cop told us they were letting us up closer as long as we moved slowly.
We originally were on the sidewalk but formed a makeshift line that the cops couldnt deal with anymore as far as telling us to get on the sidewalk
so they let us stand by the Trio video truck then we moved up to the stage. Very cool.

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 06:28 PM
While I'm more than happy at being a Sox fan and celebrating a championship, my experience at the parade/rally was definitely less-than-stellar. Starting from the train ride from Midway to Clark and Lake, this was a learning experience I'll not soon forget.I'm sorry you had such a problematic experience. If you think about the SIZE of the crowd that was there, it's understandable that some problems would arise. I'm glad you and your family stuck it out for a while and were able to see some of the players. I didn't get to see anybody, but I am so glad I was there.

Hopefully, the city has learned from the mistakes that were made and, hopefully, next year's World Series rally will be handled more efficiently.

ChiSoxGirl
10-30-2005, 01:09 AM
I will say this - compared to the frenzy and warmth of the fans in Bridgeport, these people seemed downright surly.

Tell me about it!!! These two chicks in front of me (I was the second row of people from the rails) heard me voicing my frustrations to my mom about being 5'2" and unable to see. And instead of these two (who were both at least 5'8") telling me to go in front of them, since they could see over my head like the nice people at Puffers did for me (yourself included), the one chick goes, "Well, if you would've gotten up at 6a and came down here earlier like us, you would be able to see!" OK... we're here to celebrate beloved baseball team winning the WORLD SERIES, and this is the attitude you have?! Not cool.

Oh yeah, the COWBELL was with us too!

I was standing on the east side of LaSalle between Lake & Wacker and heard a cowbell coming from the other side of the street. Could that have been the one and only IronFisk?! "WE NEED MORE... COWBELL!"

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm sorry everybody, but I didn't read the whole thread. Please excuse me if I repeat.

I wish I could've made it to the rally but other issues put me at Fullerton & Halsted at the time. Anyway...............

I taped the parade and rally, watched it today. I noticed somebody dressed in a banana costume and I laughed my ass off.

The rally was absolutely awesome on television. The only problem was the National Anthem/fighter jet thing. Otherwise it was a perfect end to a perfect season.

Cherish this Sox fans. We have this, those damn Wrigley fans don't!!!!

socko82
10-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I was right there with you all on LaSalle, unable to hear a thing. I had a radio with me so I was able to hear the rally on a 5 second delay. Just as they introduced Contreras the crowd started booing really loudly and throwing garbage at one of the fools trying to steal the banner. I just hope he didn't think the crowd was booing him as he spoke in Spanish.

bahn1225
10-30-2005, 04:09 PM
After I got off work Friday the wife and I drove in from IOWA and stayed overnight at a hotel.

That's when it started. :welcome:
We went to the train station to take METRA downtown and everyone waiting for the train were dressed in their White Sox finery.
From that point on everyone was in good spirits and treated us like family.
We too were at La Salle and Wacker and everyone was patient and jovial.

The Good:
1. I'm glad they had the parade on Friday.
They said the players would be leaving town if they waited until Monday.
2. The route was good.
I like the Western Avenue idea but downtown is better
equipped to handle such a large crowd.
3. City of Chicago personnel.
Police, Fire, Streets and Sans, you guys are so fortunate to have such
a capable staff.
4. The weather.
What more can you say? :sunshine:

The Bad:
1. The sound.
It's already been discussed but someone should lose their jewels for that. :thud:
2. The buses.
I had heard it was going to be a fleet of double decker buses.
As with most of the crowd, the people on the trolleys were invisible.
3. Better signage.
With all the players wearing sunglasses and such it was difficult to tell
who was who especially when they're atop a speeding bus.
As the saying goes; you can't tell the players without a scorecard.:redface:

The Ugly:
I'm glad to report that the turds that attempted to take the banners
were arrested. CPD was using their high level surveillance equipment
and nabbed them when it was convenient.
I can only hope they received a tune up.

The next parade will be even better!!!

liveon35
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
I was at Clark and LaSalle. I couldn't see or hear a thing, but is was awesome just to be there. Sure beats the end of the season the other 87 years.

My brother lives in Cleveland, and I was trying to explain to him how many people were there, and how jacked everyone was. Where I was, there were people on top of bus stops, billboards, and fences. Does anyone have any pictures of the crowd on Clark I can pass on to my little bro?

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2005, 11:23 PM
The Ugly:
I'm glad to report that the turds that attempted to take the banners
were arrested. CPD was using their high level surveillance equipment
and nabbed them when it was convenient.

Bahn, how do you know this for sure? As I posted above, the first guy who got up on the post successfully got one of the banners off quickly and disappeared into the crowd. I would love to know that he got his ass kicked by the CPD. Er, I mean arrested by the CPD. :wink:

liveon35
11-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Correction.... I was at Clark and Wacker. I couldn't see or hear a thing, but is was awesome just to be there. Sure beats the end of the season the other 87 years.

My brother lives in Cleveland, and I was trying to explain to him how many people were there, and how jacked everyone was. Where I was, there were people on top of bus stops, billboards, and fences. Does anyone have any pictures of the crowd on Clark I can pass on to my little bro?

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
I was there....Lasalle/Lake under the el.....then moved up very close to Lasalle/Wacker for the rally. The whole thing was great...except the sound. Very unfortunate...because the atmosphere would have been 100X more intense/electric if the crowd could have actually heard the speakers. Hawk, Frank, Paulie, JR....would have had the crowd completely ROARING if the crowd could have heard them. It would have been incredible.

It would have made a 10 one more better....an 11.

Skippy
11-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Beautiful shot that my buddy got with his cell phone.

http://imageserver1.textamerica.com/user.images.x/13/IMG_399013/Big/_1028/TZ201028150800766.jpg

bahn1225
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Bahn, how do you know this for sure? As I posted above, the first guy who got up on the post successfully got one of the banners off quickly and disappeared into the crowd. I would love to know that he got his ass kicked by the CPD. Er, I mean arrested by the CPD. :wink:

Because as we were leaving, my wife pointed out to me that the officers had the guy in custody at Couch Place, West of La Salle.
They were walking him (cuffed) over to a paddywagon (squadroll?) and another officer was carrying the rolled up banner.
The police seemed to be doing this very discreetly so as not to attract attention.
I wanted to ask "how much for the banner" but the wife said I would end up in the klink too.

Chicago Derby
11-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the recaps, guys. My two Sox coworkers and I were stuck in Philly on business and missed going to the local bars for the last game and missed the parade/rally. :angry:

THANK YOU to the person who said the rally would be rebroadcast on Comcast Thursday.

Oh, well....I guess I'll catch the parade...NEXT YEAR!!!!!!:smile:

WAY TO GO SOX!!!!

Derby