PDA

View Full Version : Regained RESPECT for Frank

Cooter
10-28-2005, 02:42 PM
I had it early on in his career for his eye, patience at the plate, lost it when I considered him The Big CryBaby during contract talks, and felt sorry for him only a little when we lost him this year amid reports that he wouldn't travel with the team.

After today, with his reaction at the Series, his interviews before the Parade, and especially his selflessness during the Rally, I relearned what he is all about.

Here's to you Big Frank- you deserved this, and here's hoping for a repeat in '06 that you can fully be a part of.

Signed-

A Sox Fan, and a Big Frank Fan

Hokiesox
10-28-2005, 02:58 PM
What did he say? I missed it.

Madvora
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
I didn't even know he was there. Did he speak at the stage?

TaylorStSox
10-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't have a whole lot of respect for any "white sox" fan that didn't respect Frank Thomas. :dtroll:

rickpro13
10-28-2005, 03:17 PM
WOW!!! Did you see his fiancee on ABC7? Way to go Frank!!!

SoxFan76
10-28-2005, 03:18 PM
He's always been my favorite player and it made my day to see him up there celebrating with his teammates. Frank Thomas IS the Chicago White Sox.

Chrisaway
10-28-2005, 03:20 PM
He's always been my favorite player and it made my day to see him up there celebrating with his teammates. Frank Thomas IS the Chicago White Sox.

....yeah what he said.

Pulaski
10-28-2005, 03:22 PM

AMEN TO THAT!

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't have a whole lot of respect for any "white sox" fan that didn't respect Frank Thomas. :dtroll:Damn straight. Don't believe everything you read.

comiskey2000
10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Sure the Series win was great, but it would have been so sad if Frank wasnt there. Im so glad that he was able to be there. His short speech today was great.

Cooter
10-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't have a whole lot of respect for any "white sox" fan that didn't respect Frank Thomas. :dtroll:

A little harsh donchathink?

Iguana775
10-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Glad I ordered my Frank World Series pin strip home jersey today. Frank is the man!!

TomBradley72
10-28-2005, 03:51 PM

For a few years there...he was a complete tool (refused to play in the field, not really showing any leadership, disrupting the team with his contract issues) ....but everyone has their ups and downs......it's great to see him finishing off his career strong.

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
For a few years there...he was a complete tool (refused to play in the field, not really showing any leadership, disrupting the team with his contract issues) ....but everyone has their ups and downs......it's great to see him finishing off his career strong.

I agree.

I do think he was a bit of a Prima Donna at times but I also think he was more than a little misunderstood. From what I've heard, he is far more sensitive than most folks realize.

It was REALLY good to see him act in a way that was good for the team and I think the adversity he's undergone has been good for him -- and certainly for his image.

I'm a HUGE Frank Thomas fan and I couldn't be happier for him!

- IotaNet

P.S. You have to admit however, that "The Big Skirt" was one of the funnier (if totally mean) nicknames we've seen in this town!

Tragg
10-28-2005, 04:33 PM
I never lost respect for Frank.
So he didn't act perfectly in every situation. He played his guts out for this organization and produced like no one had since Shoeless Joe.
Frank is da man, and always will be.

voodoochile
10-28-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree.

I do think he was a bit of a Prima Donna at times but I also think he was more than a little misunderstood. From what I've heard, he is far more sensitive than most folks realize.

It was REALLY good to see him act in a way that was good for the team and I think the adversity he's undergone has been good for him -- and certainly for his image.

I'm a HUGE Frank Thomas fan and I couldn't be happier for him!

- IotaNet

P.S. You have to admit however, that "The Big Skirt" was one of the funnier (if totally mean) nicknames we've seen in this town!

No, no I don't in fact, I've banned and totally ridiculed people for using that "nickname".

It was real nice for Hawk to go out of his way to point out that Frank is the greates player in Sox history.

I had to go to a doctor's appointment this afternoon and was getting ready during some of the speeches. I only caught part of Frank (and haven't watched my tape yet) but I did enjoy his line, "Thanks to these guys for carrying my big butt across the finish line."

Frank's never gotten a fair shake in this town. Many of the comments people refer to above are because the Sox never backed him Manuel was an idiot and the cubune blew things WAY out of proportion. Heck, they just ran an article a few months ago that "lowlighted" Frank's career goofs. Only one of them was really worth talking about, IMO, of course I am biased. I only only one pinstripe jersey and it's Franks.

Frank has always been the man and people who don't see that are half-assed fans, IMO.

Find a way to bring Frank back, Jerry.

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
This is one of the best pictures I have ever seen in my life:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051027/capt.hta18010270455.world_series_hta180.jpg

Enjoy it, Big Man. You've earned it.

maurice
10-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Wow, the Frank-hating, Jay-Moronotti-ass-licking society has come back out of the woodwork. I haven't read **** like this in years.

Frank is a 100% class act with Sox fans. He always has been, and I suspect he always will be. He's also the best baseball player in Chicago history. His past relationship with the media and management is completely irrelevant.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Frank is one of the best hitters in the history of baseball, and he's the reason I became a White Sox fan. I think he has been a little selfish at times, but more often misunderstood. Usually his comments came in years when the Sox were out of it or he was injured, so I think frustration had something to do with it. Recently, he has shown true leadership qualities, and his importance to the fans is huge. He needs to be in a White Sox uniform next year, and until he retires. I think he still has some good years left.

IlliniSox4Life
10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Frank is the White Sox. I was at his first game back this year, and hearing the crowd chant his name was something I'm sure he'll never forget. He's gotten a bad shake in the media, but after that reception, he knows Sox fans know what he's all about.

Plus, with all the steroid controversy coming out, he is hands down the best hitter and power hitter in MLB in the last 15-25 years. Bonds is the only one I would say would go ahead of him, but since BALCO, he drops out of contention. Pujols and ARod are the only ones I can see competing with him over the next 5-10 years too.

For someone with that much skill to stay on the south side for 15 years, you know the media portrayal of him is over blown.

lostletters
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
I am so happy Big Frank was with the Sox during the entire playoff run. Many people, including people on this board thought he would not be there. But he came back for the playoffs since day one and stuck around, even if he was on the bench cheering the team on, he was still there.

Big Frank needed to be there, even if he did not play. He still gets a ring, he was still part of this team. The month he was playing was something amazing.

He has the ring, now here is hoping he hits No. 500 in a white sox jersey. It is a damn good time to be a white sox fan.

(Additionally, I think it is also very special that Baines was part of the coaching staff. To think he has his number retired for the white sox, and gets a world series ring as the bench coach.)

MarySwiss
10-28-2005, 07:52 PM
And wasn't it great to see all the former Sox players--manager, coaches--play such a big part in this?

Uh-oh, here I go, tearing up again! :whiner:

CJLove23
10-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Yeah, she was pretty. Until she opened her mouth and told the interviewer she was "born and raised a die hard Cubs fan, sorry." :tsk:

RKMeibalane
10-28-2005, 08:29 PM

No, I don't. This has to be one of the stupidest things anyone has ever posted on this board.

PaulDrake
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
A little harsh donchathink? Not really. Frank is not perfect but he has been piled on unmercifully by the Chicago press while a certain someone no longer with that north side team essentially got a free pass.

CJLove23
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Not really. Frank is not perfect but he has been piled on unmercifully by the Chicago press while a certain someone no longer with that north side team essentially got a free pass.

:nandrolone

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 09:23 PM
No, I don't. This has to be one of the stupidest things anyone has ever posted on this board.

Sorry sir. I thought it was funny.

Mean spirited? Yes!
Unfair? Yes!
Blown out of proportion? Absolutley!
Is Frank one of the best pure hitters that ever play the game? No doubt!

But I still thought it was funny.

On another note in Frank's defense. (I used to make this point all the time to people and they didn't want to hear it.) Remember when he had his first really controversial year? He was also going through (or had just completed) a REALLY nasty divorce.

It's not his style to talk about that kind of thing publicly but it HAD to be affecting him on the field and I really felt bad that nobody would give him a pass on it.

It's really good to see him getting his props -- and isn't it cool how everyone is going out of their way to make sure he's included?

Good for Frank and good for the White Sox!

MERPER
10-28-2005, 09:28 PM
How can you call yourself a White Sox fan and not even RESPECT Frank Thomas? He is the best player ever to wear a Sox uniform, period. The man is one of the greatest hitters of his generation, period.

I have grown up loving and respecting The Big Hurt, thinking that everytime I stepped into the batter's box during little league I could emulate him and dreaming of hitting a ball as far as him...

Watching Frank play comprises my favorite Sox memories and watching him hold/kiss the trophy has brought me to tears for the past 3 days...

He deserves it more than some of the guys on the active roster.... the only part of the entire series I didn't like was watching Bagwell get at-bats while Frank had to stand around.... :angry:

LongLiveFisk
10-28-2005, 11:21 PM

Wow, you mean a celebrity found himself a gorgeous girlfriend? What are the odds? :redneck

FarWestChicago
10-28-2005, 11:30 PM
A little harsh donchathink?No, he wasn't harsh enough.

FarWestChicago
10-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Sorry sir. I thought it was funny.You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misguided it is.

kevin57
10-29-2005, 09:49 AM
No matter how you cut it, the relationship between Frank and the fans, and Frank and the organization has had its ups and downs. He's done some bonehead things, and as we well remember Ozzie laid down the glove the first day he took over as manager. He understood Frank.

The nice thing is that Frank has come to understand Frank.

What makes Frank Thomas integral to this club are precisely the ups and downs. Not to get too psychological, but think of any relationship (friendship, marriage). Hell, if there aren't lots of good times and bad times, then there was never any personal investment. Frank has had that investment in the White Sox from Day #1.

Cooter
10-29-2005, 10:12 AM
No, he wasn't harsh enough.

That's your opion, but this thread was about how I lost respect for a variety of reasons, and how I came to realize I was wrong and wanted to state that.

I could just say I have been with him 1,000%
, like others, but I wanted to 'fess up, and admit i was wrong. That doesn't make me a Troll, that is just Heartfelt.

So to make amends-

Gooooo Big Frank!

I NEVER lost faith!

Nope- didn't feel right for me, either.

And I stand by my original post. (Reread if you didn't understand the first time, especially the part where I say that I now understand what he is truly about)

TornLabrum
10-29-2005, 10:25 AM
You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misguided it is.

I would have used the word stupid. It's amazing after all the instances pointed out here about a negative media bias concerning the Sox that anyone still believes even half the **** they published about Frank.

Anyone who heard the complete Jackie Robinson quote (the thing that first got him into trouble with them) knows how the media can selectively edit what one says to make one look bad.

TornLabrum
10-29-2005, 10:27 AM
No matter how you cut it, the relationship between Frank and the fans, and Frank and the organization has had its ups and downs. He's done some bonehead things, and as we well remember Ozzie laid down the glove the first day he took over as manager. He understood Frank.

Another case of selective editing by the media. Ozzie was asked a direct question about what he would do if Frank gave him any ****. Go to the archives and read the exact response in one of the "Fallen Arches columns.

ChiSox14305635
10-29-2005, 12:00 PM

No it's not. Neither was Baby Huey, The Blizzard of Oz, Houseman Hawk, or any other derogatory nickname that gasbag at the Sun-Times has "christened" for the Sox organization.

Deadguy
10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Frank acted like a class act the entire season. I can't think of one instance this year where he stuck his foot in his mouth. If this was his last season, he exited with about as much class and grace as could be expected.

How many players would have acted the way he did after spending so many years with a franchise, to have quite possibly his only chance at playing in a WS taken away because of an injury. I'm sure many would have been a lot more embittered.

kevin57
10-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Another case of selective editing by the media. Ozzie was asked a direct question about what he would do if Frank gave him any ****. Go to the archives and read the exact response in one of the "Fallen Arches columns.

Thanks for the guidance. A Sox fan should always view the sports media with scepticism.

Stroker Ace
10-29-2005, 03:49 PM
No, I don't. This has to be one of the stupidest things anyone has ever posted on this board.Agreed.

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 05:48 PM
We have all said and done things we regret. Frank has more than made up for his earlier missteps. I am proud of the way he has developed as a ballplayer and a person. He has emerged from diversity to become one of the classiest and most respected Sox players ever.

I am glad he was a part of this team getting their championship.

Deadguy
10-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Did anyone else see this column from the Peoria Journal Star? Apparently Frank took his absence from the WS pretty hard, but hid it from his teammates:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/102705/KIR_B7V5N0HM.W02.shtml

What you didn't see then - what nobody saw - were his tears.

"It just hit me really hard," Thomas said Wednesday night, after kissing the World Series trophy and handing it off to teammate Carl Everett.

Thomas hid his emotions from his teammates, pulling his cap down over his eyes so they couldn't see the whites go bloodshot and gloss over. When the game started, he couldn't take it anymore. So Thomas went into the Sox clubhouse, sat down in front of his locker and cried for two innings.

"Cried like a baby," he admitted.

Not for himself, understand. But for his teammates. For the organization. For the city.

For his former teammate Ozzie Guillen, the man hired two years ago to manage the Sox, to breathe life into an organization that was feeling sorry for itself as Chicago's forgotten stepchild. "It's most fitting," Thomas said, "that a true White Sox player comes back to manage us and win the World Series. That's special."

*Edited to include excerpts from the article

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
In the end, Frank played a big role for two months. He helped put the Sox in a position that Cleveland's .750 clip still wasn't good enough to overtake us. What's most important is whether Frank ever takes another at-bat, he will go down as a World Series champion. Ask Ernie Banks and Ron Santo if they'd like to have won a World Series ring. Frank's a champ.

ChiSox14305635
10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Did anyone else see this column from the Peoria Journal Star? Apparently Frank took his absence from the WS pretty hard, but hid it from his teammates:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/102705/KIR_B7V5N0HM.W02.shtml

*Edited to include excerpts from the article

Great article. It's really sad that smaller papers like the Peoria Journal Star are picking up on these things while big papers like the Sun-Times & the Trib ignore it.

But Frank's only interested in his own stats. We all know that. :rolleyes:

To the Big Hurt. No one deserves a ring like the big man. :gulp:

SweetnesSox
10-30-2005, 01:03 AM
No, I don't. This has to be one of the stupidest things anyone has ever posted on this board. People take some people's opinions too seriously on these boards... I wish people could say what they think and not get banned or insulted... I'll probably get banned for this so later guys!

FarWestChicago
10-30-2005, 01:37 AM
People take some people's opinions too seriously on these boards... I wish people could say what they think and not get banned or insulted... I'll probably get banned for this so later guys!The last time I checked we don't ban people for being paranoid. :redneck

HotelWhiteSox
10-30-2005, 01:55 AM
That's your opion, but this thread was about how I lost respect for a variety of reasons, and how I came to realize I was wrong and wanted to state that.

I could just say I have been with him 1,000%
, like others, but I wanted to 'fess up, and admit i was wrong. That doesn't make me a Troll, that is just Heartfelt.

So to make amends-

Gooooo Big Frank!

I NEVER lost faith!

Nope- didn't feel right for me, either.

And I stand by my original post. (Reread if you didn't understand the first time, especially the part where I say that I now understand what he is truly about)

It took you until the rally to figure out 'what he was about'? Are you sure you followed the reports of him not being able to travel with the team or did you miss the part where he got clearance from Congress to appear from Spring Training because of what plane travel did to his injury? I first met Frank years ago, and have a couple times since then, easily the nicest White Sox player I've come across, what a great guy. Not to mention that he's the franchise, not just the best player in Sox history, but one of the best in the game, period. The White Sox play in the house that Frank built. The first post and title is almost like a slap in the face. People who started following the team 3-5 years ago could've figured out "what Frank was about". If you want a crybaby and tool, look at the rightfielder of the Detroit Tigers. You've got your opinions and I've got mine :dtroll:

bigfoot
10-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Yeah, she was pretty. Until she opened her mouth and told the interviewer she was "born and raised a die hard Cubs fan, sorry." :tsk:

She's STILL pretty!!!!!

Her statement just proved the observation that you, "Can't Pick Your Parents!"

Quite obviously she wasn't born and bred a White Sox fan, but was able to overcome that tragic childhood disease and grow into an obviously wise and healthy woman!

Baines
10-30-2005, 07:44 AM
The White Sox play in the house that Frank built.

At the risk of misinterpreting your comment:

Frank had played for two months in the old park - not sure how that constitutes "building" New Comiskey.

Frank is my favorite Sox player of all time, but Jim Thompson built that park more than Frank.

RKMeibalane
10-30-2005, 10:29 AM
At the risk of misinterpreting your comment:

Frank had played for two months in the old park - not sure how that constitutes "building" New Comiskey.

Frank is my favorite Sox player of all time, but Jim Thompson built that park more than Frank.

Frank is credited with having "built" the place because he is the standard by whom all Sox players will be judged. From now on, every offensive player who posts significant numbers for the Sox will be compared to Frank Thomas.