PDA

View Full Version : Honorable Cub Fan

Fredsox
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
So back like in 1978 this guy that I went to college with made a bet with me that the cubs would win the WS before the White Sox. I think it was 50 bucks or something, doesn't matter, we were both in the tank at the time anyway.

So life goes on, we leave school, we make our lives and families, all that. We talked a couple of times a year, but our lives took different turns. Six years ago he moves to San Franciso and I haven't heard from him since.

Yesterday he calls me and says he wants to take me to dinner in payment of his debt to me. I didn't even remember it to tell the truth, and I told him that, but he insisted on keeping his reputation clean. I reminded him that since he's a cub fan he really doesn't have much of a reputation to begin with, but there it is.

So we've made plans to meet in Seattle in a couple of months when I'm out there on business, a great restaurant town. And the food will taste extremely good coming from a renewed friendship with someone who happens to be an honorable cub fan.

SoxFan76
10-28-2005, 02:32 PM
I don't think anybody can deny that, for as much as we rip on Cub fans, there IS that group of true, honorable fans out there. They are just hard to find...

Great story.

mrs. hendu
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I don't think anybody can deny that, for as much as we rip on Cub fans, there IS that group of true, honorable fans out there. They are just hard to find...

Great story.

Agreed.

FredSox - Thanks for sharing and enjoy your meal. :smile:

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 03:18 PM
I recommend he orders the crow.:D:

shoota II
10-28-2005, 06:52 PM
So back like in 1978 this guy that I went to college with made a bet with me that the cubs would win the WS before the White Sox. I think it was 50 bucks or something, doesn't matter, we were both in the tank at the time anyway.

So life goes on, we leave school, we make our lives and families, all that. We talked a couple of times a year, but our lives took different turns. Six years ago he moves to San Franciso and I haven't heard from him since.

Yesterday he calls me and says he wants to take me to dinner in payment of his debt to me. I didn't even remember it to tell the truth, and I told him that, but he insisted on keeping his reputation clean. I reminded him that since he's a cub fan he really doesn't have much of a reputation to begin with, but there it is.

So we've made plans to meet in Seattle in a couple of months when I'm out there on business, a great restaurant town. And the food will taste extremely good coming from a renewed friendship with someone who happens to be an honorable cub fan.

Great story. I respect your friend for owning up to his bet.

I think it's a great reason for old friends to see each other again.

Fredsox
10-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Great story. I respect your friend for owning up to his bet.

I think it's a great reason for old friends to see each other again.

I also asked him if he was still a cub fan after 6 years in CA and he replied that he was. I promptly called him a loser.

Still gotta have a little fun, right?:D: