PDA

View Full Version : What WSI means to me...

bluestar
10-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I know there have been threads thanking the people behind WSI for providing this site, and I totally agree. I wanted to go a little beyond that and say this site has become invaluable to me as someone who is "geographically impaired" where following the Sox is concerned.

I don't have any co-workers or close friends locally who are Sox fans, and almost everyone here that follows sports is primarily into football. Although all of my co-workers know I am a huge Sox fan (my office contains ample evidence of that), no one even mentioned it to me yesterday. My wife is thrilled that I am so happy, but she also thinks it is a little silly to be so excited over a sporting event. WSI is really the only outlet I have where I can share the jubilation with others that really know what it all means.

Thanks again, WSI!

Jurr
10-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Well put. The information age has made sports that much sweeter, IMHO. We can keep up with the papers every day to see what's going on. We can communicate with similar fans all over the country on a daily basis, and we have TV packages that let us see EVERY game our team plays, even Spring Training games!!!

WSI has been a great place to go to cope with losses with people who are just as pissed as you are, and to celebrate with the same bunch during crazy seasons like 2005!

BTW....good to see another TN Sox fan. If you're ever in Memphis, PM me. We'll take our ladies out and talk Sox on Beale St.!!!!

johnnycrackrock
10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I would also like to thank WSI for the past couple years of giving me a link back to my hometown southsiders... and as a member of the US military thanks for grounding me to my hometown roots when I couldn't be there. I also suffer from the same proximity problems as the individuals above (if I see another stretch of Dreamsicle Orange I think I'm going to puke) and appreciate the communication conveyed on this site that would only come from living in Cook Co. What's worse is all of my IWU fraternity brothers are Cub Fans and a few HAVE married Lincoln Park Trixies!!! I remember fondly being privildged enough to see games @ both Old and New Comiskey, Golden Box and nose-bleed seats... even as an Andy Frain Usher as a kid... Thanks for renewing the memories to the best White Sox, albeit the MLB fan supported site in the USA!!!

Johnny G.
Born: Christ Hospital Oak Lawn
Raised: Beverly Morgan Park
Marist High School '92
USAF

IotaNet
10-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Well put. The information age has made sports that much sweeter, IMHO. We can keep up with the papers every day to see what's going on. We can communicate with similar fans all over the country on a daily basis, and we have TV packages that let us see EVERY game our team plays, even Spring

I must agree!

As a lifelong Sox fan who was transferred to Minneapolis last year, WSI has been GREAT! I only discovered the site during the playoffs (as I was looking on the Internet for SOMEBODY to share the joy with!) but this has been a great place to hang out and connect with folks.

As I type this, I have WGN on my TV showing the parade and WSCR streaming on my computer. The City looks great, the fans are having a blast and its a great day to be alive!

Thanks WSI -- it's been great!

- Dwayne

Home Neighborhood: Beverly Morgan Park
Whitney Young, Class of '78
SIU-Carbondale, Class of '83

1951Campbell
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
This is my #1 source for Sox news and chatter. No other media outlet is even in the same league. And as an out-of-market fan (never was an in-market fan), without this site, I'd be in the dark, and that much sadder. It keeps me connected and keeps me having fun as a Sox fan.

Home neighboorhood: Cedarburg, WI.
University School of Milwaukee, Class of 1993.
St. John's College, Santa Fe, Class of 1997.
Dickinson School of Law, Class of 2004.

BNLSox
10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I guess this is becoming a transplants thread. WSI has been invaluable to me as an information source being so far away from Chicago.

Its been a place to mourn and celebrate with other fans from afar!

Thanks WSI!

BNLSox
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
I guess this is becoming a transplants thread. WSI has been invaluable to me as an information source being so far away from Chicago.

Its been a place to mourn and celebrate with other fans from afar!

Thanks WSI!

comiskey2000
10-28-2005, 02:28 PM
The WSI Forum has been a great way to interact with Sox fans over the years. Great place for everything a Sox fan needs.

Iwritecode
10-28-2005, 03:13 PM
To me WSI is not only a place to talk with fellow Sox fans (something I rarely get to experience in ďreal-lifeĒ), itís a place to gain a world of knowledge.

Even though I only live a couple hundred miles away it might as well be 1000 miles for all the Sox fans Iíve known. Iíve pretty much grown up as the only Sox fan I know. A couple of people I know follow the team but not nearly as much as I do so itís hard to have a real in-depth conversation with them. Basically up until 98 or 99 (whenever it was that we found this place) I was a lot like them. I followed the team as best I could through the TV and newspaper, cheered when they won and said ďoh wellĒ when they lost. Back then I probably couldnít tell you what OPS stood for or the name of a single minor-league player.

Since then Iíve sat back and read a lot from the fellow members of this site and learned much more about this team than I could have ever imagined possible. Itís amazing how much Iíve had to catch up on by not having a previous generation Sox fan to educate me.

Iíve also increased my interest in the team 10 times over. Back then I would just check ESPN or the local newspaper to see if they had won or not. Now I hate to miss a game and take losses much harder.

All in all, itís a great place to grow as a fan, interact (and argue) with like-minded fans, make new friends and waste a lot of time when I should really be working.

:)

RallyBowl
10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I said it yesterday and I'll say it again-

WSI, you complete me.