PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie love from Bob Ryan (Boston Globe)

Fenway
10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
BOB RYAN: Guillen managed to be unique (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/10/28/guillen_managed_to_be_unique)

By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist | October 28, 2005

You hang around long enough, you think you've seen and heard everything it's possible to see and hear in the immediate aftermath of a championship.

While the champagne is being splashed around, this is what we invariably hear: We believed in each other. We picked each other up. We did the little things. We took it one day at a time. We never got too high or too low. The only ones who believed in us were the (fill in the blank) 25, 12, 18, 45 guys in this room. There was no MVP; it was a team effort.

It never changes. Some of it is true, some of it is recycled verbal garbage (a lot of winning teams have more factions and subcultures than your average high school). And all of it is what they think the world wants to hear.

Coaches and baseball managers have their own list of cliches, one of my favorites being, ''There were no nights off. Everyone is tough in our [division], [conference], [league]." Right, Coach. Gotta fear those Royals, all right.

Then we come to the postgame aspect of Wednesday night's goings-on in Houston. The Chicago White Sox were in their locker room, doing the whoop-it-up thing. The thousand or so White Sox supporters were outside, doing their whoop-it-up thing. And inside the interview room, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was saying, among other things, ''I lead the league in throwing players under the bus."

Now there's one I most definitely have not heard before.

Fenway
10-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I should add that a month ago Mr. Ryan gave the White Sox no chance in the post season

Let us identify the contenders and the pretenders.

NO WAY JOSE

12. San Diego

The relentlessly mediocre Padres have no chance. Let's establish that right away.

Here's what they have going for them: Jake Peavy. OK, two things. I've got to say something nice about Trevor Hoffman, who has done nothing to mess up his Hall of Fame resume with 39 saves in 41 attempts.

That's about it. Peavy (12-7, 2.98) is one of the premier starting pitchers in baseball, but for the Padres to do any thing in this postseason he would have to become the 1988 Orel Hershiser, and I don't think that's about to happen. This is one time the Bill Parcells theory is correct. The Padres are exactly what their record says they are: a win-one, lose-one team of no real consequence.

P.S. If they were nice, they'd lend Dave Roberts back to the Sawx for the next few weeks.

11. Philadelphia

The NL's perennial underachievers play in a ludicrously cozy pitch-and-putt ballpark and still have hit 103 fewer homers than the Texas Rangers. I'm still working on that one.

On paper, it's a pretty nice lineup, one that hardly misses the injured Jim Thome because rookie first baseman Ryan Howard has been as good as advertised (18 homers, 50 RBIs in 266 at-bats). Pat Burrell has bounced back nicely (111 RBIs) and Bobby Abreu, though streaky, has had another nice Bobby Abreu year. Apparently, manager Charlie Manuel has had something to do with it. That amazes me. The Phils have a quality closer in Billy Wagner, but they aren't constructed for the postseason otherwise.

10. Chicago

Doesn't it warm the heart when a hunch pays off? I could never figure out how the White Sox were doing it when they were doing it, and now they are no longer doing it, and won't be doing it again. They did have excellent first-half pitching, but Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle have become mortal again and Jose Contreras is likewise losing it. They never had much of an offense. And the manager was always an issue. Ozzie Guillen was just too visible and too quotable for his own good.

9. Oakland

They're good, but not that good. They're always a great story because of the payroll and the whole Billy Beane thing, but it's a lineup good pitching can deal with, and there are just too many young pitchers being thrust into key spots. You wonder when it will ever change and if they already have had their best opportunities to win. They shoulda/coulda/woulda beaten the Yankees and Red Sox in years past, and this team is nowhere near as good as those clubs. Just making it would be a major achievement this time.

Fenway
10-28-2005, 11:43 AM
just got an e-mail from Ryan

Ryan@globe.com to me
11:31 am (9 minutes ago)
Yes, I was 1000 percent wrong. And very happy to be so after seeing them
play. No shame in admitting that.
Bob Ryan

Cutter
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
just got an e-mail from Ryan

Ryan@globe.com to me
11:31 am (9 minutes ago)
Yes, I was 1000 percent wrong. And very happy to be so after seeing them
play. No shame in admitting that.
Bob Ryan

He never responded to me when I told him he mixed his Cuban pitchers up.