PDA

View Full Version : When did it set in?

sageofthesox
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
It finally set in with me last night while watching the news and coverage of the White Sox arrival at Midway. The scene produced flashbacks to the days when I was a kid and my dad celebrated the 1959 pennant by popping open a can of Hamms.

The whole chain of events in 2005 hit me Thursday evening. All of the sudden - and I'm certainly not ashamed to admit this - I started crying tears of joy in front of my wife and kids.

When did it all finally set in with the rest of you? Or is that moment still to come?

mcfish
10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
it still hasn't.

This is all too good to be real. I can't wait until it does though - it'll probably be even better than it is right now!

skottyj242
10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think it will really sink in until opening day next year.

Cooter
10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Still waiting for it to fully sink in.

And savoring every moment.

Kilroy
10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
The whole chain of events in 2005 hit me Thursday evening. All of the sudden - and I'm certainly not ashamed to admit this - I started crying tears of joy in front of my wife and kids.

Hell, I and several others cried in the bar watching the champagne get sprayed. I well up every time I see a highlight of the final out or the locker room, and especially when I hear them replay Rooney's calls on the radio.

And it will probably be a while before I don't.

Railsplitter
10-28-2005, 11:15 AM
When I saw Sox t-shirts at the local Jewel!:wink:

downstairs
10-28-2005, 11:21 AM
It'll set in on opening day when they're announced as:

"Your World Champion Chicago White Sox!"

SOXPHILE
10-28-2005, 11:25 AM
It really still hasn't. I have said it and typed it dozens of times already: "The Chicago White Sox have won the World Series. The Chicago White Sox are the World Champions of Major League Baseball". I still can't believe it.Right now, I'm wearing the gray locker room t-shirt that says "Chicago White Sox" and "World Series Champions" with a faint image of the Series trophy on it. I'll be getting several other pieces of memorabilia in the next couple of weeks. I've watched all the T.V. replays over and over, and I have several newspapers covering it, and I still can't believe it. This is one that we'll all be savoring for a long long long time.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 11:59 AM
It still hasn't really set in. The whole experience of watching them play in the World Series was pretty surreal. It LOOKED like any other baseball game. I guess we've been conditioned for so long that if the Sox were playing it wasn't the World Series that I just couldn't mentally connect the two. Am I the only one who felt that way?

Kilroy
10-28-2005, 12:22 PM
It still hasn't really set in. The whole experience of watching them play in the World Series was pretty surreal. It LOOKED like any other baseball game. I guess we've been conditioned for so long that if the Sox were playing it wasn't the World Series that I just couldn't mentally connect the two. Am I the only one who felt that way?

I know exactly what you're talking about. Playoff and World series baseball always had this extra special feeling about it, and with the Sox playing in the games, it didn't seem like playoff baseball. Weird...

Madvora
10-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I know the exact moment when it actually set in that we would win the World Series. It was Koneko's 1st inning homerun in game 3 of the ALCS.

I don't know if it's fully sunken in that we did in the World Series.

ode to veeck
10-28-2005, 12:34 PM
It hasn't, but the nice glow I've noticed for the last couple of days is pretty cool. Bask it it and enjoy it, as it don't happen that often.

Jurr
10-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I was watching Mike and Mike in the morning, and Greenberg was talking about what this means. I hate that clown, but he started talking about dads taking their sons to ball games at Comiskey Park and then those kids taking their kids. He said that baseball above any other sport means family to so many people, because it's an event that is a lot more attainable than NFL or NBA. He also said that players are happy that they won the series, but they don't know what it means to the fans who have waited so long for that moment.

When I heard those comments, I welled up. He hit it on the head for so many of us.

MeteorsSox4367
10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
It's starting to sink in a little bit now because the parade just rolled down 35th Street past where I work. There were plenty of people out there wearing Sox stuff and I got to take some pictures and see Buehrle, Podsednik and Ozzie in the motorcade. I got to scream out "Ozzie" and even the sight of Marte - which during the season either made me angry or nauseous or both - was kinda cool.

The Sox won the World Series. I think it's finally becoming a reality to me.

Go Sox!!!

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
It sank in last night when I was going to watch the Sox but the games were no more. It was kind of depressing because the most wonderful moment ended. Just like what people experience after Christmas is over.

PaulDrake
10-28-2005, 01:50 PM
For me, an old time Sox fan it has set in and it feels great. I still have trouble sleeping though. Like a kid with an extended Christmas.

johnr1note
10-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I posted this on my blog site. I think its appropriate for you folks:

"It took a familiar voice to bring the concept that the White Sox had actually won the world series back to reality.

The White Sox winning the World Series was the culmination of my childhood dreams, of being raised by my Dad and Grandfather on White Sox baseball. Sox baseball is the connection to my youth.

So in the late evening hours, immediately after the Sox had won the game, I was jubilant, but it was a subdued jubilation. As Juan Uribe threw out the last Houston batter on a very close play at first, I had pumped my fist and shouted. I got hugs and kisses from my wife (she’s not a baseball fan, but was happy for me), hugs and high fives from my kids, phone calls to my Dad and brothers and a few close friends to all share in the warmth and exultation of the moment. But the rush was brief. It was like, “now what?” The adrenalin drop off was fast. I was more stunned than anything else, a similar reaction to when the Sox won the pennant. It didn’t seem real.

It was not until the following morning that things were brought into focus.

I was having my morning coffee and cereal, at the kitchen table, reading about the White Sox with the Chicago Tribune, with ESPN radio playing in the background. Of course all the talk on the radio was about the White Sox victory. My family was hustling about, getting ready for school and work. I was alone in the kitchen, trying to wake up and start my day.

Then, when ESPN Radio did its hourly sports news update, they replayed the final out of the World Series as called by Sox radio play by play man John Rooney. I had not been listening to the radio the night before, but had been watching the game on television. I don’t usually watch White Sox baseball on television. We don’t have cable TV, and the reception we get for baseball when it is on over-the-air TV is pretty poor, so more often than not, I listen to the game on the radio. John Rooney has been doing Sox games for 18 years. I have listened to him call hundreds of White Sox games.

I hadn’t heard Rooney call the game the night before – I was listening to the network TV announcers, FOX network’s baseball guys, who are neutral (supposedly) as far as team loyalty goes. Rooney, however, is the White Sox radio voice, and openly cheers for the Sox when he calls the game.

As I listened to the recording of Rooney describe the exciting action on the last play, his voice rising, the tension building as he noted that the ball was rolling slowly, the closeness of the play, and then – the absolute jubilation in his voice as he shouted “OUT!!!” and began exclaiming that the White Sox were the World’s Champions, and his clichéd trademark “It’s a White Sox Winner!”

I’m not sure what it was – the familiarity of Rooney’s voice and his connection to 18 years of Sox baseball with me listening to it all on the radio, or the excited “home fan” notion of him calling that play, or what it was, but hearing his voice and visualizing the Sox winning, a rush of emotion swept over me, and I wept. The connection to everything the White Sox means to me, my past, my family, my identity, rushed out of me in a brief moment of emotion. All the years of frustration, the rivalry with other baseball fans, the sense of being second best as a baseball team, all the great memories, both bitter and sweet, seemed to all culminate in that moment etched in my mind of Paul Konerko squeezing the ball, the throw just beating the step of the Houston runner, and then the explosion of celebration.

Maybe I just needed another part of my White Sox “family” to complete everything. I don’t know. But the White Sox winning the World Series has been a healing moment for me, for my memories, for my bitterness, for my dreams. Its as if a great weight has been lifted. I don’t even think I hate the Cubs as much as I have. Its pretty amazing.

And as for Rooney, it’s a shame, because that is the last time he will be calling a White Sox baseball game. He did not have his contract renewed, and will be moving on. How appropriate that he goes out with a winner. I will miss him. I’ve been extremely critical of big John – I’ve always felt he was too much of a stereotypical sportscaster, with his Ted Knight-like voice inflections, corny patter, and stale clichés. But over 18 years, he has become the familiar radio voice of the White Sox. It will be like a dear friend you know so well moved away. Even in victory, there is the bittersweet."

PandaSox
10-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Heck...I'm not quite sure it HAS sunk in for me yet! LOL...but, it's startin' to!

BNLSox
10-28-2005, 02:36 PM
I knew from the moment that the national anthem began in game 1 that we were going to win it all but it still hasn't even come close to sinking in. I keep listening to we are the champions, but for some reason I just still don't really Know it... You know?

Tragg
10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Like a fine wine, the elation, for me, just grows as it ages.

I remember in early september, when the reality of Katrina set in, at the same time Cle was closing the gap, I didn't want to hear any scores - I just wanted to know when we clinched. I couldn't deal with that stress at that time (although in other times, there is no better stress than a pennant race).

The wait, for me, was 38 years.
The reg. season was 162 games.
Three playoff series.
I knew we had a good shot once we reached the playoffs
I figured we were the favorites after we beat Boston
I figured we were heavy favorites after we beat the Angels
I knew we were a cinch after game 3.
Then we won.

There was not a huge emotional - "wow, we won," because I came to the realization that we would win over the prior 10 days, and definitively the day before. So, like the baseball season, the elation is long term and every day, so far, the happiness gets greater, greater and greater.

kevin57
10-28-2005, 04:32 PM
It has and it hasn't.

When the Sox creamed Boston in that first game at the Cell I knew we were "destined" for greatness, but when the final out came in Houston, I was elated and in disbelief.

It may take the DVD of the games/highlights.

MarySwiss
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
I hope it never sets in! I love the warm feeling I get whenever I even THINK the words "2005 World Champion White Sox." I do hope, however, that at some point I can stop bursting into tears of joy spontaneously just from reading or hearing about the Sox. I also don't like the weird looks I get from people at the supermarket or the mall when they see me grinning from ear to ear for no apparent reason!

:D:

Huisj
10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
It started to sink in a little more watching the rally coverage on tv today. When they showed the video of month-by-month highlight clips, and I saw all the great replays from the season from games that I had watched or gone to, I couldn't sit still. A whole new wave of excitement came over me when I watched that. And then when Thomas spoke I very nearly had a little feeling of a tear forming, though it never actually did.

I still think it'll take a little while to fully set in though.

chisoxfanatic
10-28-2005, 06:13 PM
My boyfriend's team won last year, and he told me it didn't sink in until like the next March...I'm thinking that it'll be about the same for me. I STILL can't comprehendn what to do right now...I'll be having a mini-WSI party here in a couple of weeks to watch Hangar18's video and celebrate more in this glory.

OUR BELOVED CHICAGO WHITE SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!

forkball
10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I think it will set in when I see those three flags hoisted in the air next year.

SOXintheBURGH
10-28-2005, 06:22 PM
It hit me when me and batman were walking down Halsted and I was hugging random strangers. We won the World Series.

PAPChiSox729
10-28-2005, 06:52 PM
It hasn't sunk in for me yet. I have some moments where I realize for a few seconds that we have actually won the whole thing. But as many others have said, I still can't believe that I have been watching this same team from ST through to the end of the WS. High-fiving strangers at the parade today just made things even more surreal. Man, this season was awesome.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-28-2005, 07:22 PM
When Dye plated Willie, I knew we'd win. It hasn't sunk in yet. I burst out in a smile everytime I think about. It's a feeling of happiness I can't explain. I'm a Sox fan, it's personal.

Stroker Ace
10-28-2005, 09:32 PM
When I get my World Champion hat and t-shirt!

TornLabrum
10-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I just finished watching a replay of the rally and tears came to my eyes a couple of times. But I still don't think it has completely set in. It may not until SoxFest.

krispoulin
10-29-2005, 12:54 AM
It's been a couple days now and it still doesn't seem quite real.

soxjim
10-29-2005, 12:54 AM
It still seems to good to be true. I hope I remain on this floating cloud for a while longer.

Daver
10-29-2005, 01:15 AM
It started to set in when I talked to West on the phone last night, the party downtown helped seal it, but it won't sink in till opening day, when the Sox take the field as the defending champions.

getonbckthr
10-29-2005, 01:22 AM
it still feels like a dream. there are times when i'll be looking around and the edges of my eyes start getting cloudy and i start thinking don't wake up yet, i'm not ready for it to be over. this is just unreal.

wassagstdu
10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I say I have been a Sox fan for 58 years. since my first game on Luke Appling Day at age 3. In all that time I never even imagined a season and a team as good as this one. It will take a while to sink in. And the team and Sox fans will still treasure this memory at least 46 years from now.

http://www.fortwayne.com/images/fortwayne/newssentinel/news/S1025BOOK_10-26-2005_8H3V6H1.jpg
Jim Rivera contemplating his game-saving catch in '59 game 5.

ja1022
10-29-2005, 11:19 AM
It's still sinking in. Yesterday I shot an e-mail to A Cub fan friend I hadn't heard from in awhile. With regards to the World Champion Chicago White Sox' run through the playoffs I wrote "kicked ass doing it too." That's when it really sunk in that this clearly was the best team in baseball, period. No fluke, nothing lucky or cheap about it. They didn't catch a break or play over there heads.
They are just the best team in baseball right now, until somebody comes along and takes it away. The won games every way you can.

The other great thing is they're easy to like. From the top down they play the game the right way. Take Konerko's slam in game three. He drops the bat and runs--no posing or cadillacing. Just plays the damn game. They're unselfish, they pick each other up, and there's an undeniable bond on that team. That was awesome to watch this season. I feel damn lucky to have been able to see it.

chisoxjk
10-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't think it completely has. Little by little it does, but I don't think it will completely set in until opening day when they hoist the flags and get the rings.

It was there a little in games 2 & 3. A lot after game 4, but then little things keep showing me it hasn't fully hit. I got a little emotional when Paulie gave Jerry the ball, and I thought it fully set in.

But it hasn't. I still get this sense of "I can't believe it" every time I get an email from whitesox.com for world series champion merchandise. I got an enormous sense of pride when I drop my kids off at school yesterday, when instead of uniforms, almost all of the kids were wearing Sox stuff. I get that feeling every time I see my lucky jersey hanging in the closet.

I have been watching this team and waiting since I was 4 years old. That is 31 years of waiting. I guess it may not be realistic to expect 31 years of anticipation to hit in just a few days.

MadetoOrta
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been a Sox fan all 41 years of my life. It hit me yesterday at Noon, when I looked down LaSalle Street and saw literally 500,000+ people gearing up to cheer on our heroes. I've said for years that there are a huge number of Sox fans ready to burst with pride should the Sox win the pennant or WS. I was proven right. Never again will I, my children or [I hope someday] my grandchildren ever have to go to bed believing our beloved White Sox will be moved out of town. IT'S OUR TOWN NOW!:smile:

bayzbol44
10-29-2005, 03:33 PM
For me it sank in yesterday a little before 1pm when the first bus was approaching us and confetti was all over the place. I just screamed at the top of my lungs, "THE WHITE SOX ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!"

It also started to sink in yesterday before the parade started when they played, "We are the champions." I was like, oh my gosh, this song, FINALLY means something to me.

I am actually still getting goose bumps typing this. The parade yesterday and actually this whole journey was just awesome. I was just talking to my dad about this and we agreed that we NEVER thought we would ever see this.

Caduceus
10-29-2005, 05:01 PM
To be honest I don't think it has fully set in.

When they won I was at a 'Sox Party' and I kind of just stood there with my hands on my head just staring at the final score, then when I got the WS hat it hit me alittle, even at the rally I was kind of like 'this isn't true'.

I figure I will go to work or be in lecture one day when it will finally hit me and end up screaming out 'Sox won, Sox won'.

chisoxmike
10-29-2005, 05:24 PM
It won't sink in until Opening Day.

"Sox fans, on your feet, for your 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox!"

CHEESESOXER
10-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm up here in Wausau and don't get much stuff first hand.

I watched every pitch of every game that I could get here and, every pitch of the playoffs till the WIN!!

I taped the parade because we were playing golf yesterday.
I made some dinner and sat down to watch the parade.
I got so into it that my dinner got cold and I didn't care.
I'm from the western burbs and went to my first Sox game in '44.

It was great seeing the Bears win the SB and, I used to sit in the second row of the upper deck, 3rd base side at cubs park to watch them.

Where I really liked being was at Comiskey for all those years.

As I was warching the parade last night, I got this overwhelming urge to go back down to the city and had this desire to BE there.
It's still home and always will be.
This wonderful thing that the Sox have done is more emotional than anything I've ever experienced in sports, whether it was something done by the Bears, Hawks or any team I actually played with.

The absolute ground zero for me was watching the scene downtown and at the stage.

Those of you who are there are sooo fortunate to truly be there.
I'm there in my heart and have to say that this is the greatest thing in my life in sports.

WOW!!

mike squires
10-30-2005, 01:00 AM
I was with Paulie when he said he knew it would be huge but not this big. I couldn't belive how many people were at that parade. It kind of started to hit me during that rally. Watching all those players and Hawk getting excited and throwing in those "Damns" and when paulie gave Jerry that ball...it started to tug at me a little bit.

TornLabrum
10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
I was with Paulie when he said he knew it would be huge but not this big. I couldn't belive how many people were at that parade. It kind of started to hit me during that rally. Watching all those players and Hawk getting excited and throwing in those "Damns" and when paulie gave Jerry that ball...it started to tug at me a little bit.

That was the second time I broke down and cried. Both involved a presentation to Jerry Reinsdorf...and to think of how critical I've been of him over the years! I guess that might be because his reactions proved beyond the shadow of a doubt for me that he meant what he was saying about trading all those Bulls championships for one World Series championship.

When I was at Grandstand today, Dave Wills asked me how I was enjoying this. I told him I still needed to be pinched to believe it's real. When he said,

:wills

"It's real,"

that voice of his kind of made it sink in a little more.

mike squires
10-30-2005, 01:26 AM
That was the second time I broke down and cried. Both involved a presentation to Jerry Reinsdorf...and to think of how critical I've been of him over the years! I guess that might be because his reactions proved beyond the shadow of a doubt for me that he meant what he was saying about trading all those Bulls championships for one World Series championship.

When I was at Grandstand today, Dave Wills asked me how I was enjoying this. I told him I still needed to be pinched to believe it's real. When he said,

:wills

"It's real,"

that voice of his kind of made it sink in a little more.

Ah Tonr, and I think I remember reading a few of your posts on how you said there was no crying in baseball and you were not gonna cry!!! That's the beauty of baseball. It brings out the emotions in us we didn't know we had...

Chips
10-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Still waiting for it to fully sink in.

And savoring every moment.

I'm with ya, I'm still in shock and awe.

LuvSox
10-30-2005, 01:31 AM
It sunk in today when I was watching a tape of the parade and rally.

Circumstances beyond my control have prevented me from enjoying the victory yet, like going to Midway or downtown yesterday.

But tomorrow is another story. I finally get to buy all of the souvenirs and keepsakes I can get my hands on. Mrs. LuvSox is going to smack me in the head with the check book. :nuts:

ChiSoxGirl
10-30-2005, 01:37 AM
It hasn't set in for me. The past 3 days have seemed so surreal to me. First, I'm celebrating the WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP of my favorite baseball team with my friends from WSI at Puffers. The next thing I know, on Thursday, I make a spur of the moment decision & am scrambling to find a sub for yesterday when I took a personal day to go to the Ticker Tape Parade. Thursday night, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep (again) and chasing all over the northwest suburbs for WORLD SERIES merch. for my team. I just think it's going to take a few weeks yet before this whole thing becomes a reality for me.

Realist
11-01-2005, 08:08 PM
It's still setting in. Each day I get different feelings and a different understanding about what we've just witnessed. Today feels like Christmas to me. I love Christmas.

:moonwalk:

There's a pretty good number of Red Sox fans that come in the bar and when they won last year I kept asking them all how it felt and I'd continue asking them if the feeling was still there even as the 2005 season was going on. They were all still high as kites.

Even after we beat them in the first round of the playoffs they would make a special trip to the bar to come and congratulate me and they told me they didn't mind because they were still cruising on the feeling from the previous years WS. They've done the same after we won the World Series and they even told me how happy they are for me.

A year's worth of that warm and fuzzy Christmas feeling? I'll take it!

shoelessjoe90
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't think it will sink in till opening day next season. By the way, are people going to be able to purchase individual tickets next season?

chisoxfanatic
11-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't think it will sink in till opening day next season. By the way, are people going to be able to purchase individual tickets next season?

Individual tickets go on sale on the 27th of January.

richb2
11-01-2005, 10:58 PM
it still has not sunk in for me-at times I can still relive all the big plays and smile-it is a nice feeling. I look forward to the dvd

peeonwrigley
11-01-2005, 11:23 PM
It sunk in how truly big it was when I turned the corner (more like fought through the mob to the corner) off of Wacker and got my first glimpse down LaSalle. So many happy people.

One of the most impressive things I have seen in my entire life was that parade -- as it came down LaSalle with the endless people and confetti and the deafening cheers. Awe inspiring. I could barely cheer.

As for totally "setting in" - its gonna be a while - maybe even not until next year's World Series if we don't win. That old "don't know what you've got til its gone" phrase might be pretty fitting.

Baby Fisk
11-02-2005, 09:24 AM
It will really sink in when I crack open that package from MLB.com, pull on the World Champions T-shirt and WS hat and FEEL THE PRIDE. I'll wear them until they are rags. :cool:

MadetoOrta
11-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Still hasn't sunk in yet. Sunday I said to one of my daughters "Tonight's Game 7." She laughed. "Dad, we swept 'em just like we swept Boston and Anaheim - game 1 against them didn't count. We swept them all. We're World Champs!" On Halloween, one of my neighbors [big Sox fan] walked his kids around the neighborhood, stopped by my front porch and we talked for 10 minutes about the Sox. He too is still in disbelief. The speed with which the Sox disposed of the opposition has a lot to do with this feeling of "Did I really see that?"

It's better than I expected.

soxfanreggie
11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I think it will be when I go home in a few weeks and see my dad with his World Champions shirt on...then and opening day seeing them raise the flag!

Evman5
11-02-2005, 11:42 AM
It officially set in when I saw the Sports Illustrated Commercial! I have waited so long to see my team in one of those. I was just like, wow, that is my team they are talking about!

gobears1987
11-02-2005, 01:54 PM
It hasn't set in yet. I'm still in shock