PDA

View Full Version : My Personal Journey to Both Sides of Town

TomBradley72
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Was coming into the city for work yesterday afternoon....some meetings were scheduled/cancelled....so I had the afternoon open....so I decided to explore both neighborhoods, Bridgeport and Wrigleyville and soak up the 1st day after we clinched.

Visit to Bridgeport: What a great atmosphere! So many homes completely decked out with WSox stuff and decorations. Hand painted signs on stores, cars, people...everywhere. Long lines at Grandstand. Pulled up to The Cell...gift shop was open...had the chance to wander in...tons of fans....people watching the Midway arrival on TV's...took a few pics of the empty ballpark with the World Series banners still up. Everyone laughing, yelling, honking their horns....I had the fight songs cranked up as loud as possible with the car windows down...everyone on the streets singing along.

Visit to Wrigleyville: I drove up LSD to the northside...exited at Iriving Park...my quest was to circle Wrigley Field with "Let's Go Go Go White Sox" cranked up loudly. (Before anyone responds....I know this is not all about the Cubbies....for me this was the equivalent of TPing a rivals house back in high school....). It was completely hilarious....all the White Sox fans walking on the streets were singing and dancing along to the fight song...even a few tourists getting their picture taken in front of the Urinal. The rest of the people...very dour....staring down at their shoe tops. By the way....I think the Cubbies now realize we are a legitimate threat to their popularity...no congratulatory message on their marquee this time. But a "Go Cubbies!" message did scroll by....and you can still purchase 2003 post season memorabilia if you're interested.

kevin57
10-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I had some business up on the north side before Game 3 of the WS and was struck by the...absence.

I saw nothing: no banners, caps, jerseys...nothing, save one of the blackboard signs outside a bar with the message "Go Sox" on it. I did not read hostility into this, sort of a "denial" or "apathy" of what was going on. It did not make me angry, but it was almost surreal given the south side.

At the same time, I wondered how Bridgeport and Beverly and Tinley Park would be if the shoe were on the other foot. Honestly, I believe now that Sox fans will be gracious--more or less--to Cub success in the near future. That feeling of being marginalized and dismissed by the north side and the media and nearly everyone not a Sox fan will be diminished.

I don't think we should rub it in. Before we clinched the pennant, I was as anti-Cub as anyone, but now, they're as much in the margins of my mind as we used to be with them.

Savor the moment! :drunken:

SOXPHILE
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Was coming into the city for work yesterday afternoon....some meetings were scheduled/cancelled....so I had the afternoon open....so I decided to explore both neighborhoods, Bridgeport and Wrigleyville and soak up the 1st day after we clinched.

Visit to Bridgeport: What a great atmosphere! So many homes completely decked out with WSox stuff and decorations. Hand painted signs on stores, cars, people...everywhere. Long lines at Grandstand. Pulled up to The Cell...gift shop was open...had the chance to wander in...tons of fans....people watching the Midway arrival on TV's...took a few pics of the empty ballpark with the World Series banners still up. Everyone laughing, yelling, honking their horns....I had the fight songs cranked up as loud as possible with the car windows down...everyone on the streets singing along.

Visit to Wrigleyville: I drove up LSD to the northside...exited at Iriving Park...my quest was to circle Wrigley Field with "Let's Go Go Go White Sox" cranked up loudly. (Before anyone responds....I know this is not all about the Cubbies....for me this was the equivalent of TPing a rivals house back in high school....). It was completely hilarious....all the White Sox fans walking on the streets were singing and dancing along to the fight song...even a few tourists getting their picture taken in front of the Urinal. The rest of the people...very dour....staring down at their shoe tops. By the way....I think the Cubbies now realize we are a legitimate threat to their popularity...no congratulatory message on their marquee this time. But a "Go Cubbies!" message did scroll by....and you can still purchase 2003 post season memorabilia if you're interested.

Oooh !! Oooooh !! Did you get anything for me for me ?
Ha ha ha. That's hilarious. I saw on the news last night that some vendors had stands outside the Crumbling Confines selling Sox stuff. The reporters were all saying "Even outside of Wrigley Field, the Sox are hot" or something like that.