PDA

View Full Version : Steroids in baseball

Cambridge
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
This interview may be of interest. It addresses the steroid issue in MLB; how it came to be, and why (almost) nothing has been done about it..

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18739&s=

Madvora
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
This is my favorite issue in baseball this year besides the Sox, of course.
I hope everyone of these bums gets busted and called out. I even called in sick so I could watch the congressional hearings.

I'm surprised nothing has been done about this in a while, but as long as nothing is being done, I'm not interested. All this stuff bores me now. I'm still waiting for the big bomb to drop.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Exceptionally well done. I may go out and buy the book.

Unregistered
10-29-2005, 04:34 PM
RSN: In Juicing the Game, you write that Tony LaRussa, and others, have seemingly been aware of steroid use for some time, but have chosen to cover it up. Do you feel these people should be held as accountable as the players themselves?

HB: Absolutely. They all do. LaRussa is one of the reasons why this story is wrong. He's a disgrace. You can't tell the story without indicting yourself, so you are confronted with a clear, unambiguous question. You can protect the code or you can tell the truth. He tried to do both, and he tried to intimidate people in doing so. Being articulate doesn't mean that you're smart. Schilling has also tried to do both. It doesn't work that way. Either you're honest, or you're not.

RSN: There are a lot of bad guys in this story. Are there any good guys?

HB: Along with the true crusaders -- the doctors involved -- I think Alderson comes out looking okay. Tony Gwynn was remarkable. Reggie Jackson is another. The game is their lives, and you can tell they've been thinking about it seriously. Frank Thomas is one of the few current players who have spoken out. He's said that everyone should be tested, because he doesn't want the perception that everyone has always been cheating. Unfortunately, the union hasn't agreed with him, and Bud Selig hasn't done anything, so there's been little progress. The price of this paralysis is the reputation of the decade.

Wow, some of that stuff is pretty damning.