PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela's Reaction To The Sox Championship

DrCrawdad
10-28-2005, 09:21 AM
As WGN (Cubune) radio continues to report that the Sox/Astros World Series got the lowest national TV ratings, glossing over the great local ratings, Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhmlU8GU3bsEZ1AQxyeNAzIRvLYF?slug=ap-worldseries-venezuela&prov=ap&type=lgns) has an article about Venezuela's reaction to the Sox win.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051027/capt.car10210270501.world_series_venezuela_car102. jpg
Cesar Diaz, bottom left, and Edmundo Romero, above, celebrate the Chicago White Sox victory over the Houston Astros in the World Series at a bar in Caracas, Venezuela, early Thursday, Oct. 27, 2005. Venezuelans cheered for native son Ozzie Guillen, the first Venezuelan manager in Major League Baseball, a national hero now that his team has won the World Series.
(AP Photo/Leslie Mazoch)

Venezuelans cheer Guillen as national hero
By JORGE RUEDA, Associated Press Writer
October 27, 2005

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuelans shot off fireworks and drove through the streets honking horns early Thursday, proclaiming the manager of the Chicago White Sox a national hero.

That's Ozzie Guillen in the United States, and Oswaldo Guillen as he is known in his home country.

"I never thought he would become champion so quickly, but if anyone could do it, it was Guillen,'' said Janny Mendonza, who cheered at a bar where celebrating fans tossed beer from mugs. Elsewhere in Caracas, revelers fired guns in the air...

"Guillen is a winner, he's a manager by nature,'' said Daniela Garcia, wearing a yellow, blue and red Venezuelan flag across her shoulders. "I'm very happy for him and for what it means for Venezuelans.''

Baseball is Venezuela's most popular sport, and Guillen is the first Venezuelan manager in the major leagues...

mikeybooyah
10-28-2005, 10:42 AM
As WGN (Cubune) radio continues to report that the Sox/Astros World Series got the lowest national TV ratings, glossing over the great local ratings, Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhmlU8GU3bsEZ1AQxyeNAzIRvLYF?slug=ap-worldseries-venezuela&prov=ap&type=lgns) has an article about Venezuela's reaction to the Sox win.

looks like they'll have his back in that ozzie/mags "civil" war

[edit] damnit! its pat again. i keep doing this.

DSpivack
10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Ozzie Guillen, Future President!

VenturaSoxFan23
10-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Let's use Oswaldo as an ambassador to get us cheaper oil...lol.

TDog
10-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Let's use Oswaldo as an ambassador to get us cheaper oil...lol.

Ozzie should be meeting with President Bush again, as he did after the Marlins won the World Series in 2003.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Bra-vo. Ozzie, talk to him. Free gas to all card-carrying Sox fans! I'll even buy it at 1917 rates.

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I think its so great that we had an entire country cheering for us. I'm sure there were a lot of happy people in Japan and the Carribbean, too.

34 Inch Stick
10-28-2005, 02:33 PM
The Sox should be using this inroad to develop talent out of this baseball hot spot.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I think its so great that we had an entire country cheering for us. There have long been a lot of Sox fans in Venezuela, because of Carrasquel and Aparicio.

ChiSoxRowand
10-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Ozzie said he is bringing the World Series trophy to Venezuela. He said the commisioner and Reinsdorf ok'd it.