PDA

View Full Version : Tickertape

Cooter
10-28-2005, 08:05 AM
...since tickertape isn't used anymore, "Just blocks away at a branch of the Chicago Sun-Times, employees from the Secure Eco Shred Company are shredding an estimated 20,000 pounds of newspapers to make championship confetti." according to This story on ABC7.com (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3578752)

Let's hear your ideas on what was shredded. (I'm sure the Cubune will have plenty of Zorn articles to shred, as well) :rolleyes:

cleanwsox
10-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Hopefully, they were archived Moronotti articles.

kninchicago
10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Dumb question: What exactly is "ticker tape"? I understand the concept it's like throwing a ton of confetti but I don't know why it's called ticker tape and what it's used for.

elrod
10-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Dumb question: What exactly is "ticker tape"? I understand the concept it's like throwing a ton of confetti but I don't know why it's called ticker tape and what it's used for.

It goes back to the tape that they used to use on Wall Street to record stock transactions. Early ticker tape parades went right through New York's financial district and they used to shower victory parades (both sports and military) with shredded ticker tape.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Dumb question: What exactly is "ticker tape"? I understand the concept it's like throwing a ton of confetti but I don't know why it's called ticker tape and what it's used for.Young 'uns!!!:redneck

Before computers, stock market information was transmitted through phone lines to a machine (ticker) that printed them out on a long paper tape.

kninchicago
10-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Ah, I had an inkling it was something like that. Thanks for the explanation!

duke of dorwood
10-28-2005, 10:03 AM
They were shredding paper outside LaSalle St station today too

ozzman
10-28-2005, 10:10 AM
the sun times shredded 20000 lbs of newspaper.