PDA

View Full Version : Re-acquire Miguel Olivo?

shoota II
10-28-2005, 04:40 AM
I think now is the time to re-acquire Olivo while his value's still low. He can back up AJP next year. Let Olivo catch Contreras because his rocket arm can compensate for Contreras's slow delivery to the plate. Olivo could also cut down on the number of Contreras's wild pitches.

He speaks Spanish, so that can only help with our pitching staff.

RealMenWearBlack
10-28-2005, 04:47 AM
I completely agree unless you want him to replace A.J. entirely. You want Olivo to replace Widger, right?

mmmmmbeeer
10-28-2005, 05:07 AM
I think now is the time to re-acquire Olivo while his value's still low. He can back up AJP next year. Let Olivo catch Contreras because his rocket arm can compensate for Contreras's slow delivery to the plate. Olivo could also cut down on the number of Contreras's wild pitches.

Big MO would be a regression from Widge, imo. Word after he left had it that his bat wasn't the only problem but that he didn't have an understanding of the game to be behind the plate.

Banix12
10-28-2005, 05:22 AM

I get a little tired of the argument of having the catcher who speaks spanish on the team just because it helps. I think this year should have shown that it doesn't matter in the least bit that a catcher speaks spanish, they can speak baseball. The quality of the catcher is far more important than if they speak the same language it seems. I just remember this was an argument to keep the clearly inferior Ben Davis on the roster last spring.

Ramon Hernandez is a free agent this year and it doesn't look entirely clear if the Padres are going to resign him as he is a Scott Boras client who is due to make a good payday. I think the Padres are looking to Olivo to maybe start next season as he would be a much cheaper option and has shown some offensive ability.

Backup catcher isn't a position I really worry about enough to trade for Olivo, who would start on many teams, even with the poor 2005, and is soon to be arbitration eligable.

Widger had a pretty good year for a backup, his arm and bat aren't all that great but he calls a good game. I let him come to spring training and try to earn his job back for next year against a few other veterans. We're talking about a position that is only gonna play about 40 games a year most likely if AJ stays healthy.

shoota II
10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I completely agree unless you want him to replace A.J. entirely. You want Olivo to replace Widger, right?

Correct.

munchman33
10-28-2005, 09:51 AM
I'd rather sign someone, well, good.

1951Campbell
10-28-2005, 10:12 AM
I'd rather sign someone, well, good.

Agreed. Olivo couldn't hit the floor if he fell out of bed. A .229 average? Yikes.

Madvora
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
We made out big by getting rid of Olivo when we did.
This year our two catchers were way better than any other two we've had in a long time. That is absolutely one part of this team that I would never change.

santo=dorf
10-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Why not Ben Davis then?
:rolleyes:

The pitchers didn't like throwing to Olivo when he was here.

PaulDrake
10-28-2005, 12:45 PM

He speaks Spanish, so that can only help with our pitching staff. No thanks.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Forgive me, but what's really wrong with Widger? The catcher's job is to manage the pitching staffs as well as our primary catcher...which I feel Widger did an excellent job. We could ALWAYS use another big bat...but I have no issues with Widger.
Widger is a grinder....which is why he has my vote.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Ixnay on iggy-may.

I guess it's officially the off-season, otherwise known as the time for ridiculous trade suggestions.:(:

seanpmurphy
10-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Ixnay on iggy-may.

I guess it's officially the off-season, otherwise known as the time for ridiculous trade suggestions.:(:

Gee willickers! Even more ridiculous than the Shingo-D.Lee trade suggestion that came in season!?!? :rolleyes:

Banix12
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Forgive me, but what's really wrong with Widger? The catcher's job is to manage the pitching staffs as well as our primary catcher...which I feel Widger did an excellent job. We could ALWAYS use another big bat...but I have no issues with Widger.
Widger is a grinder....which is why he has my vote.

Yeah, that's what I figure. I don't automatically give Widger the job next year but I feel he gets every opprotunity in spring training to earn the job back. His bat is good enough for a backup catcher, and he seems to call good games. You can fault his arm for the throw down to second, but I think the game calling is far more important.

I think a lot of us were suprised when Widger got the job in preseason. A lot of us had a soft spot for Burke, Davis was making over a million dollars. It seemed unlikely Widger would get it since he had been out of baseball, but I think it's obvious he just worked harder than the other guys. And for good measure his sunglasses look awesome.

zach074
10-28-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm currently emotionally attached to this team so i say replace no one. But then again I'm crazy.:smile:

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM

Woo-hoo my favorite time of year. The worst part about these threads is I always tell myself to ignore them but I'm somehow drawn to them. Then I tell myself not to post in them so they just fade away...

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 08:52 PM

Are you high? Why the hell would you want Miguel Olivo back? :thud:

Pulaski
10-28-2005, 09:02 PM

It will never happen. A family friend got to eat dinner with JR during last off season. JR said none of the pitchers wanted to pitch when Olivo was in the lineup because he could not call a good game. No matter how hard Sandy worked with him, he couldn't figure it out. JR, went on to say that he has all the talents in the world, but he isn't the brightest light bulb and as a catcher you need to be to call a game.

So, in the words of Hawk, "HE GONE!"

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Are you high? Why the hell would you want Miguel Olivo back? :thud:Because he speaks Spanish, of course. Then we can have Dye replace PK at 1B because he's tall.:rolleyes: