PDA

View Full Version : Konerko files for free agency

Deuce
10-28-2005, 12:38 AM
That didn't take long...

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av3paqYoyHPlKKXL1IYKT7wRvLYF?slug=ap-freeagents&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Deuce

buehrle4cy05
10-28-2005, 12:40 AM
This doesn't mean that he's leaving.

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Isn't that something that you are suppose to do at the end of your contract? Maybe it's standard procedure to let the league know your contract is up.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Jeez, Paulie, couldn't you have at least waited until after the parade to rain on it?

Fuller_Schettman
10-28-2005, 12:44 AM
It's just protocol, guys- relax!

Deuce
10-28-2005, 12:45 AM
This doesn't mean that he's leaving.

No, but the possibility of a "Home Discount" is most certainly gone.

Deuce

Chicago
10-28-2005, 12:45 AM
"Approximately 200 players are eligible to file by the Nov. 10 deadline, and free agents can start discussing contract terms with all teams the following day"

He didn't have to rush like that... :(:

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 12:47 AM
"Approximately 200 players are eligible to file by the Nov. 10 deadline, and free agents can start discussing contract terms with all teams the following day"

He didn't have to rush like that... :(:That was my point. He should have let the city celebrate with the team first.

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Anyone with more knowledge of this than I care to chime in - does this have any impact on the ability of the Sox to negotiate with him, resign him prior to the deadline, or the ability for other clubs to contact him?

Seems to me like this has no actual impact on the Sox and Paulie. In fact, if that statement is correct, than most likely this is his way of exerting as much leverage as he can on KW to make a good offer ASAP. Both from the perspective of showing that he'll do it (which was a nobrainer), and more importantly, from the PR perspective of having the fans start to worry about it.

He may also want to hear more chants of "stay, Paulie stay" tomorrow at the rally, so he let that out today.

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Anyone with more knowledge of this than I care to chime in - does this have any impact on the ability of the Sox to negotiate with him, resign him prior to the deadline, or the ability for other clubs to contact him?

I just assumed filing for free agency rules out the possibility of the Sox signing him to an extension without any other team throwing their hats into the ring.

Hellooooo bidding war. After mopping the floor with them, it looks like we get to face the Red Sox and Angels again...

FarWestChicago
10-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Jeez, Paulie, couldn't you have at least waited until after the parade to rain on it?Is anybody actually surprised? He did have his dad doing PR work already.

Deuce
10-28-2005, 12:57 AM

What filing does is allows other teams to make offers. So, instead of the Sox and Paulie working on a contract, the Sox are competing against other team's offers. This will draw the top dollar out of interested teams like Boston/NY/LAAoAOCSC. Given the frugal nature of this organization, I don't hold out much hope that we can match, much less beat, what these teams can offer.

Deuce

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 12:59 AM
I just assumed filing for free agency rules out the possibility of the Sox signing him to an extension without any other team throwing their hats into the ring.

Hellooooo bidding war. After mopping the floor with them, it looks like we get to face the Red Sox and Angels again...

Interesting note: BP had a chat in which they theorize that some team will overpay for Konerko because he's not as good as he's seemed of late in their stats-minded view.

Given the mindset of a Theo Epstein and the financial constraints unless he can deal Manny for cents on the dollar in terms of talent, I wonder if they'll make as ridiculously huge of a push for him as we fear. As long as the pice doesn't go into the $15M range, I can't see the Sox letting him go.

J Co
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM

I'm not an expert and don't have any more knowledge....but if I recall last year's negotiations with Magglio correctly, the Sox now have a certain amount of time (weeks? a month?) to negotiate with Paul. If they can't reach a deal, then it becomes open season and all other teams (except the Sox) can try to sign him.

So if the Sox can't reach a deal with him during the 'grace' period, then they're not allowed to negotiate with him again until sometime around spring training. This was put in to prevent collusion

Flight #24
What filing does is allows other teams to make offers. So, instead of the Sox and Paulie working on a contract, the Sox are competing against other team's offers. This will draw the top dollar out of interested teams like Boston/NY/LAAoAOCSC. Given the frugal nature of this organization, I don't hold out much hope that we can match, much less beat, what these teams can offer.

Deuce

See - I thought regardless of his filing that no team except the Sox can negotiate with him until 11/11. Which would make this a purely procedural move on his part to do it now and render the timing purely PR/negotiating value.

In fact, it could be considered him taking maximum leverage ASAP to try and get a deal done quickly with the Sox.

buehrle4cy05
If Konerko does end up leaving, anybody think that Kenny goes out and gets Overbay? I think Kenny will definetly make a run at him if Paulie decides to leave.

mike squires
10-28-2005, 01:02 AM
We should have enought money to out bid other teams. If we don't, hopefully he will follow Dye's lead and sign for less money if he truly likes it here in Chicago.

TheOldRoman
10-28-2005, 01:03 AM
That was my point. He should have let the city celebrate with the team first.
While the timing was bad, Im sure it was planned several months ago. He probably discussed it with his agent and agreed that the day after the World Series ended, he would file for Paul. The Sox just so happened to not only go to the series, but win it. If we were eliminated by the Red Sox or Angels, nobody would be talking about this.

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm not an expert and don't have any more knowledge....but if I recall last year's negotiations with Magglio correctly, the Sox now have a certain amount of time (weeks? a month?) to negotiate with Paul. If they can't reach a deal, then it becomes open season and all other teams (except the Sox) can try to sign him.

So if the Sox can't reach a deal with him during the 'grace' period, then they're not allowed to negotiate with him again until sometime around spring training. This was put in to prevent collusion

This I'm fairly certain of: The Sox can offer Paulie arbitration and keep negotiating with him until the cows come home (or he signs somewhere). With Maggs, they couldn't do that because with no news on his knee, they couldn't take the risk he'd accept arbitration. No arb offer = no right to negotiate.

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Possibly the truest statement of the postseason was from Bill Simmons earlier this week:

Every big Paul Konerko moment, as his winter pricetag continues to rise, as does the inevitability that he'll be hitting .224 on the Angels next June as announcers say things like, "here comes Paul Konerko, last year's World Series hero ... just hasn't been able to get it going this year ... the Angels would LOVE to see him get it going ..."

:D: :?: :(:

FloridaSox
10-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Paulie could have been signed for 9 million pre-season, 11 mil per during the season and no the bidding will run 13-15 million.

From comments by his dad about the Sox having all season to get something done and that there would no hometown discount, it sounds like the rich teams are going to outbid us here.

Kenny Williams made some inspired deals last offseason. The failure to make this one will hurt in 2006.

Deuce
10-28-2005, 01:07 AM
In fact, it could be considered him taking maximum leverage ASAP to try and get a deal done quickly with the Sox.

Or he knows the Sox are not going to offer the type of money NY/Boston/LAAoAOCSC will, so why waste time trying to work out a deal with them. Though this is not a killing blow, it most definately is not a good sign.

Deuce

TheOldRoman
10-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Given the frugal nature of this organization, I don't hold out much hope that we can match, much less beat, what these teams can offer.

Deuce
That sucks. I thought we just won the World Championship? I thought payroll had raised steadily over the last few years? I also was under the impression that attendance was way up, and we benefitted from playoff games and lots of extra merchandise sales. I also falsely remember Reinsdorf spending money in the past to keep a champion together.
My bad.

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 01:08 AM
If Konerko does end up leaving, anybody think that Kenny goes out and gets Overbay? I think Kenny will definetly make a run at him if Paulie decides to leave.
Anyone else on the Brewers you like? :D: They're starting to become our own version of the Pittsburgh Pirates: a Major League farm team.

buehrle4cy05
10-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Anyone else on the Brewers you like? :D: They're starting to become our own version of the Pittsburgh Pirates: a Major League farm team.

Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Ben Sheets...

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Paulie could have been signed for 9 million pre-season, 11 mil per during the season and no the bidding will run 13-15 million.

From comments by his dad about the Sox having all season to get something done and that there would no hometown discount, it sounds like the rich teams are going to outbid us here.

Kenny Williams made some inspired deals last offseason. The failure to make this one will hurt in 2006.
If KW signed Konerko to an $11 million a year deal back when he was hitting .230, there'd have been riots in front of the Cell. The cost of him helping us win a World Series might have just been his last year in Chicago.

On the other hand, let's give management a chance to work something out with PK before we start the Bon Voyage party. We may be knee-deep in the "Did We Overpay for Paulie?" Mega-Thread in no time... :cool:

Joosh
10-28-2005, 01:12 AM
That sucks. I thought we just won the World Championship? I thought payroll had raised steadily over the last few years? I also was under the impression that attendance was way up, and we benefitted from playoff games and lots of extra merchandise sales. I also falsely remember Reinsdorf spending money in the past to keep a champion together.
My bad.

I also remember Konerko saying that he wanted to stay in Chicago, and that he would take less money to stay here.

My Bad, I guess Konerko had no intention of staying here.

Deuce
My bad.

:tealpolice:

TheOldRoman
I would bet a large sum of money that if we can't resign Konerko, KW will trade for Carlos Delgado. The Marlins signed him last year to make a push for a new stadium, which has to this point failed. The contract was backloaded (I believe 4 years, $52mil), and he only made $4mil in 05. The Marlins did that so they would be able to trade him and take no hit for having him one year.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 01:14 AM
My bad.See? This is the problem with Paulie filing before the celebration is over. Now we're going to start arguing with each other about this.

If the post above is correct, and Paulie attracts $13-15 million per, that's just crazy, and probably shouldn't be matched. I would like Paulie back, but get serious.

As for Reinsdorf spening in the past to keep a champion together, I assume you're talking about Michael Jordan. Seriously, do you think fans come to see Konerko like they did Jordan? Past a certain number of dollars, it comes down to: how many butts do you put in the seats?

FarWestChicago
10-28-2005, 01:16 AM
See? This is the problem with Paulie filing before the celebration is over. Now we're going to start arguing with each other about this.Can anybody start an argument like Paulie? :redneck

I think only the Friends of Buddy Lee vs. Backers of Manos comes close. :D:

Deuce
10-28-2005, 01:17 AM
As for Reinsdorf spening in the past to keep a champion together, I assume you're talking about Michael Jordan. Seriously, do you think fans come to see Konerko like they did Jordan?

I assumed the same, but didn't comment about it since the idea of anyone comparing Jordan to Konerko would surely send me into a blind rage.

Deuce

IlliniSox4Life
10-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Personally, I think Paulie would be wise to stay here even if he takes a smaller cut. If he's really in it for the money, just think of the endorsements he could get in Chicago. In New York he has to compete with A-Rod, Jeter, Eli Manning etc, in Boston with Tom Brady, Ortiz, Manny (if he is still there), etc, and in Anaheim/LA, he's got Vlad and Kobe, and I don't think they'd embrace him the way Chicago would. The only guy he has to compete with in Chicago would be Urlacher (maybe Ozzie), and Paulie's the one on a winning team. I don't know much about the markets of the different cities, but it seems like Chicago is wide open for sports endorsements right now, and Paulie could be cleaning up. Sign for a million or two less here, but make 5 million more in endorsements.

TheOldRoman
10-28-2005, 01:19 AM
See? This is the problem with Paulie filing before the celebration is over. Now we're going to start arguing with each other about this.

If the post above is correct, and Paulie attracts $13-15 million per, that's just crazy, and probably shouldn't be matched. I would like Paulie back, but get serious.

As for Reinsdorf spening in the past to keep a champion together, I assume you're talking about Michael Jordan. Seriously, do you think fans come to see Konerko like they did Jordan? Past a certain number of dollars, it comes down to: how many butts do you put in the seats?
Daver had talked about this extensively, I believe. I don't know the financial issues with the Bulls, I was too young at the time. A lot of the payroll was in Jordan, but everyone else wanted a lot of money, too. Reinsdorf payed to keep the teams together during the championship years. How many players left while in their prime during those years? Horace Grant is all that comes to mind. The other ones not brought back were just cast-offs.

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Ben Sheets...
:hawk
"Where are they gonna play?"

:D:

Deuce
10-28-2005, 01:24 AM
A lot of the payroll was in Jordan, but everyone else wanted a lot of money, too. Reinsdorf payed to keep the teams together during the championship years.

Its a tough comparison to make, as the Bulls had already won 3 championships and Jordan returned before the payroll skyrocketed. Keeping the Bulls together meant sellouts every game, huge TV and radio deals and a guarenteed Championship. That's not the case with the White Sox.

Deuce

El Screecho
10-28-2005, 01:28 AM
I do not understand. Why would Paul Konerko not want to be with the Chicago White Sox? I understand that Mr. Reinsdorf, who is the owner of the Chicago White Sox, will receive much revenue from the additional games after the season. Is this true?

Thank you.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Daver had talked about this extensively, I believe. I don't know the financial issues with the Bulls, I was too young at the time. A lot of the payroll was in Jordan, but everyone else wanted a lot of money, too. Reinsdorf payed to keep the teams together during the championship years. How many players left while in their prime during those years? Horace Grant is all that comes to mind. The other ones not brought back were just cast-offs.And how many guys are on an NBA roster? They gave the money to a couple of guys, then filled in the blanks.

MLB is not comparable. Unlike the NBA, where Michael or Scotty could score every time down the court, you can't send one guy up to the plate every time you want. You can't give all the money to one or two guys and try to fill in around him. Just ask the Texas Rangers. I would think that what we saw this year, where the Sox spent the money they saved on one guy to get several role players, would have taught us a few things.

jabrch
10-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I also remember Konerko saying that he wanted to stay in Chicago, and that he would take less money to stay here.

My Bad, I guess Konerko had no intention of staying here.

Way too early to draw that conclusion...come on...

His agent/lawyer, whomever filed the paperwork for him to be a FA. That's procedural - nothing more. Now the market will dictate his value. Then, if he does want to be here, he will sit down with KW and JR and come up with a number. If it is just about the $, he will end up in Detroit with Whordonez. Either way...

If he walks, we will have 12+mm to spend on some other bat. Really guys, enjoy the WS, this is hardly the end of the world. If PK would rather leave, then good riddance. I can live with him - or without him - just fine either way. This team wasn't built around any one player.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 01:35 AM
His agent/lawyer, whomever filed the paperwork for him to be a FA. That's procedural - nothing more.He still could have waited until after the official celebration.

JackParkman
10-28-2005, 01:39 AM
I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax. Today's filing is not some sort of bad omen, it's simply a procedural matter, the timing of which Konerko likely had no direct role. Regardless, there's no reason to believe the Sox can't afford to keep PK should they choose.

First, as great a postseason as he had, I think it's unlikely some team is going to offer Konerko the kind of money Beltran got last year. I'd be surprised if he is even offered the kind of money Vlad Guerrero got two years ago. The fine folks at ESPN were talking about this today and said PK would likely command Tejada-like money on the free-agent market. That means six years/$72 million. Others have said the Richie Sexson deal (4 years/$50 million) would be a benchmark. I think Paulie could get a little more than they did, but not much more. And I think the Sox - with additional revenue from this year's playoffs and next year's increase in season tickets - can afford a little more.

As for what his dad said ... who cares?

Anyhow, the Sox have about two weeks to deal exclusively with PK. Let's hope they can get a deal done by then and this whole free agency thing becomes moot. And if it doesn't, and if Arte Moreno wants to vastly overpay for Konerko, then good for Paul. The Sox would be better off letting him go than overpaying and having 20 percent of their payroll tied up in one player. Ask the Royals how that's working out for them. (Speaking of which, I'd rather have a healthy Sweeney at $11 million than PK at $15 million).

TheOldRoman
10-28-2005, 01:42 AM
And how many guys are on an NBA roster? They gave the money to a couple of guys, then filled in the blanks.

MLB is not comparable. Unlike the NBA, where Michael or Scotty could score every time down the court, you can't send one guy up to the plate every time you want. You can't give all the money to one or two guys and try to fill in around him. Just ask the Texas Rangers. I would think that what we saw this year, where the Sox spent the money they saved on one guy to get several role players, would have taught us a few things.
Obviously the NBA is a much different monster than MLB. However, we are not talking about giving Konerko the $30mil Jordan made with the Bulls his last few years. Our payroll will probably go up $15mil this year, based on revenue, and the amount it went up in previous years. We have so many guys coming off the books, and we have wholes to fill, but of the estimated $15mil raise, Konerko would get at most $6mil of it (from $9mil this year to an absolute max of $15 next). I don't think the Sox would go as high as $15mil, and I am not sure he is worth it, but if he wants to come back for $12-13, Im sure it would get done.

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 01:46 AM
For the record, unless the Red Sox are either a)willing to put in a decent payroll increase from their current $120+M, or b)forgo signing pitching that the desperately need, it's unlikely they'll make Paulie a ridiculous offer.

With their current FAs (Damon, Millar), they'll have about $13M free. But a lot of that gets eaten up in raises, leaving about $5-8M. And IMO their needs #s 1,2, and 3 are pitching in both the rotation and the 'pen. That's going to cost them.

They're thinking about dealing Manny to free up some $$$, but he makes $19M in '06 so if they do it and turn around & sign Konerko to $15+, they haven't really gained much flexibility and as good as he is, Paulie's a significant downgrade from Manny. The fit just isn't there, as much as it's common to speculate that they'll go after any bigname FA.

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Obviously the NBA is a much different monster than MLB. However, we are not talking about giving Konerko the $30mil Jordan made with the Bulls his last few years. Our payroll will probably go up $15mil this year, based on revenue, and the amount it went up in previous years. We have so many guys coming off the books, and we have wholes to fill, but of the estimated $15mil raise, Konerko would get at most $6mil of it (from $9mil this year to an absolute max of $15 next). I don't think the Sox would go as high as $15mil, and I am not sure he is worth it, but if he wants to come back for $12-13, Im sure it would get done.I just shudder to think of PK hitting .220 two months into the season, making $15 Million a year. I love the guy and think he's really been a great team spokesman and an unselfish teammate, but we're talking about ELITE money now...

JackParkman
10-28-2005, 01:52 AM
For the record, unless the Red Sox are either a)willing to put in a decent payroll increase from their current $120+M, or b)forgo signing pitching that the desperately need, it's unlikely they'll make Paulie a ridiculous offer.

With their current FAs (Damon, Millar), they'll have about $13M free. But a lot of that gets eaten up in raises, leaving about $5-8M. And IMO their needs #s 1,2, and 3 are pitching in both the rotation and the 'pen. That's going to cost them.

They're thinking about dealing Manny to free up some $$$, but he makes $19M in '06 so if they do it and turn around & sign Konerko to $15+, they haven't really gained much flexibility and as good as he is, Paulie's a significant downgrade from Manny. The fit just isn't there, as much as it's common to speculate that they'll go after any bigname FA.

Excellent points. A couple more things to consider:

- It's been said that PK, who lives near Scottsdale, would much rather sign with a team that trains in the Cactus League. Boston trains in Fort Myers.

- Epstein has been trying to trade Manny for two years now and can't find a taker because of his contract. Any deal, I imagine,w ould have to involve Boston taking on a significant share of what's left on his deal.

HotelWhiteSox
10-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Yikes, I go out to the grocery store with thoughts of parades and celebration in my head and see this.

I know, it means nothing yet, but I didn't think he'd be back. With the comments of his dad that seemed to have something against the Sox when saying that 'they had all year to work something out' even though the agreement was to focus on the season.

It doesn't take away from he did this season or the post season, but I don't want KW to overpay. I'm sure many look at Beltran and shudder. Also, PK is an overthinker, and that can hurt him at times, ala his gidouble play world tour in 03. He also says some stupid stuff once in a while, but I'd be able to live with it and take the defense and power numbers with a contract in the low double digits, but I heard next years team would already be in trouble money wise if they kept everything exactly as is. So, the question is, how would we replace 40 HRs and 100 RBI?

I'm sure in a couple weeks will hear Konerko, Hernandez, and Rowand for Ramirez and most of his contract talks heat up

Whatever, it's PK's choice if he wants to get paid, he sure had a hell of a postseason. But after a year this special, wouldn't you want to stay around? I don't care, I'm enjoying my parade tomorrow, the championship euphoria, and don't want to think of this for at least weeks.

mrs. hendu
10-28-2005, 02:55 AM
It's been a wonderful ride, but players come and go and there's nothing we can do about it. Let this not spoil our celebration of the championship and the parade.

springrovesoxfan
10-28-2005, 03:01 AM
I dont think the Sox should overpay for PK, but I do believe its time for KW and JR to put their money where their mouth is. As we have all heard is we have to put fannies in the seats to spend the kind of money to pay for the good players. This year we had the 4th highest seasonal attendence and next years should be even better. They should have enough to keep PK with a reasonable raise.

mmmmmbeeer
10-28-2005, 03:05 AM
If they go any higher or longer than 4/48, the Sox will regret their decision. He's going to want atleast 5 years, which means by the time his contract expires he'll be practically walking to first base after hitting a ground ball. Any amount higher than $12M is inappropriate for a guy that can't hit .300 or steal a single base for your team. I hope KW has a clear head when he sits down with Paul rather than having champagne memories rolling through his head. Todd Helton has a miserable contract, but could be had for similar money, via trade, to what Paul is probably going to be looking for. I'd take Helton anyday.

chez742002
10-28-2005, 03:20 AM
The White Sox still have 15 days left to where they can negotiate a contract with Konerko and no one else can offer him anything during this period. They have sole negotiationg rights until 15 days after the World Series, but after that, the bidding will begin. Do not be surprised if they sign him within the 15 days. If not, don't be shocked if the Sox go after Lyle Overbay or even Jim thome (of course, if the Phillies eat half his salary).

The more and more I learn about the closeness of this team, I want them all to come back and try again, even if they do not repeat. I think they all deserve the chance to attempt the repeat and celebrate next years ring ceremony as the same TEAM! I, also want Frank back because he deserves it and it would be great to see him go for 500 HR's with his TEAM!! Also, I do hope they resign Everett because of what he did in Game 3 of the World Series. When Garner started yelling at Crede, he was the guy who went after Garner and started threatening him and telling him to start something with him, instead of Crede. When he was interviewed, Everett said that, "Crede is my younger brother, this is my extended family!" The reporter laughed and Everett said, "Just because he is white makes no difference, He is my little brother and if Garner wants to go after Joe, he has to go through me first and that WILL NOT HAPPEN!!" "I love that kid, Crede!" Then Kenny Williams came over and said "Garner has no class, I have nothing to say to him now, nor will I ever because he is classless!" " Look at what he did to his own catcher, a great player and good man, Brad Ausmus!" "Ausmus made a small mistake and Garner was all over him. Ausmus has done a lot more than Garner for the game of baseball!"

I just loved hearing that and realized really how close all of these guys are. They truly are a family and the GREATEST TEAM in the last 25 years. Yeah, there are many teams with more talent and flashier players, but not a better team.

The definition of team is a group of beings that come together and work as one unit to perform a task or reach a goal. Individual beliefs, goals and purposes are not involved in the attempt to attain this goal or perform this task, the group's success is the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS!!

This is the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox... The Greatest Team I have ever seen, period!!!!

wassagstdu
10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
I hope the Sox re-sign Konerko, but if somebody is willing to way overpay for him (almost a certainty) he will go and should be allowed to. If so, I hope that the first time he returns in a gray (Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, ...) uniform he gets a 10-minute standing O.

I also hope this is between Jim Landis' son (his agent), Paul and the team, and that his father can keep out of it. If Konerko Sr. doesn't like the Sox he should be reminded that the Sox stayed with Konerko through some tough times and gave him the chance to resurrect his career when others had given up on him. He paid them back in full this season, but nobody owes anyone anything.

Wordwoman
10-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Jeez, Paulie, couldn't you have at least waited until after the parade to rain on it?

This is why you pay an agent. While Paulie obviously knows, this is just standard procedure and left up to his people on the timing.

It has to be done whether or not Paulie ends up staying with the White Sox.

bigdommer
10-28-2005, 08:57 AM

Imagine if Maggs would have signed that 5 year $75 mill deal in the middle of last year. The Sox would have finished no better third in the Central in 2005 (no Dye, no Garcia extensioin, we probably still deal Carlos, but we would have saved the cash to pay Maggs)

Jjav829
10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
This means absolutely 100% nothing. Period. Konerko had to file. The timing of it is insignificant. His wife just had a child. He has a parade to go to that will take up most of today. Paulie probably wants to get home and start enjoying his new baby boy with his wife.

Don't even waste a second of time worrying about Konerko leaving at this point.

elrod
10-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf will increase his payroll significantly next year. Book it. It's easy to be cynical with Jerry, but I've noticed a change in his attitude the last few years. He always goes into the offseason talking about some low payroll number, and then mysteriously increases it so Kenny Willliams can get somebody in. He is also acutely aware of gate receipts, and they will go up dramatically after this World Series victory. Season ticket sales are probably back up to where they were in the early 1990s, and casual fans will stream back to the park. The White Sox just did what no other Chicago baseball team has done in 88 years. Think of all those young people wearing Sox hats for the first time. There WILL be no Sox fans at the park next year and Jerry knows it. I expect the payroll to jump from $75 million to $90 million, at least. And that means Jerry will re-sign Konerko.

bigdommer
10-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Anybody here like a plan B of the Sox trading for Thome?

I know the negatives. He's 35, he is owed at least 43.5 over the next three years. He was hurt almost all of last season.

The positives: one year removed from a .274/42/105 season. He would add a much needed lefty bat to the lineup. He is a fly-ball hitter in a home run park. He is from Illinois, and he is a good clubhouse guy. And Philly is willing to eat some of his contract.

The Phils would probably eat 10 million of that contract, as it prevents then from making other deals (signing Billy Wagner) and Howard is as good an option as Thome at first base. The Sox have a plethora of OF's on the farm, and the Phils have been searching for a CF for a while. Pending a physical and the Phils eating at least 10 mil, I wouldn't mind dealing Brian Anderson, Marte, Vizcaino for Thome. I would rather have Paulie, but this wouldn't be a bad second option, although it would probably hurt Big Frank's chances of returning.

nevr say dye sox
10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
The White Sox have 15 days from yesterday to nail down a contract before other teams can get involved. They will either get it down in the next 15 days or you can forget about Paulie. Once the bidding war begins were out.:whiner:

downstairs
10-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Boy.... I hope Kenny and JR keep their heads about them. You don't overpay players in the MLB, especially hitters. It never works out*

*Unless you're the Yankees or Red Sox and can overpay a bunch of hitters and a bunch of pitchers all at once.

Konerko deserves all the money he'll get from whatever team. I wish him luck. Its not his fault that MLB has no control over spending.... so of course he's going to take whatever some fool will overpay him.

Remember this everyone... if Konerko leaves, we get all that money to spend on 1, 2, maybe 3 other guys. The Sox have a budget and will spend that much. Its a zero-sum game.

downstairs
10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Anybody here like a plan B of the Sox trading for Thome?

I know the negatives. He's 35, he is owed at least 43.5 over the next three years. He was hurt almost all of last season.

The positives: one year removed from a .274/42/105 season.

"One year removed" and "He's 35, overpaid, and hurt" is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Just because a guy has a big name from his past doesn't mean anything in terms of the future.

I am hoping Kenny, JR and the scouts find a few guys we know little about who are primed for a career year.

kevin57
10-28-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't think Konerko's filing has any huge significance for the Sox or even sends a message about his future...

but I do think he could have waited one day, until the end of the parade, to file.

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 10:37 AM
If the Red Sox were to sign Konerko, that would be the dumbest move. It would be station to station baseball at it's worst. It would take a double to score half of their line up at 3rd.

What do they need? Pitching.

What do the Yankees need? Pitching.

I don't really see them interested in Konerko but Phil Rodgers will write an article saying different.

I don't see Paulie being successful for another team. If he does go, I'm sure the Sox will replace him with some who takes less than a week to run the bases.

TaylorStSox
10-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I would bet a large sum of money that if we can't resign Konerko, KW will trade for Carlos Delgado. The Marlins signed him last year to make a push for a new stadium, which has to this point failed. The contract was backloaded (I believe 4 years, $52mil), and he only made $4mil in 05. The Marlins did that so they would be able to trade him and take no hit for having him one year.

This is the move right here my friends. Delgado > Konerko. He's a LH power bat with a history of driving in runs at a higher clip. I'd think that a some kind of package involving Rowand, Marte and prospects for Delgado and Pierre is possible.

munchman33
10-28-2005, 10:47 AM
I like the Delgado and Thome moves, but let's face it. They're both terrible defensive liabilities, even for first base. If they come in, it will be to replace the Everett/Thomas DH position. If Konerko needs to be replaced, it will be by someone like Lyle Overbay.

RallyBowl
10-28-2005, 10:53 AM
:walnuts "Anaheim is the best city I've ever played baseball in."

the gooch
10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
anybody else see this as a brush-it-under-the-carpet move to not raise attention?
or has everybody forgotten the friday afternoon labor day weekend announcement of rooney?:whiner:

everybody knew he would at least file the paperwork. outside of wsi, i dont think anybody is talking about it. i believe this was the intention of the move. pk has been praised the last few days for not bringing up his contract during the season.

i am glad this thread moved away from a 'why' thread to a 'what to do about it' conversation.

hawkjt
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Again, this means nothing. As has been mentioned the sox have 15 days of exclusive negotiating rights. If they do not get it done -he is gone.

I think 5 yr 65 million is the right number.

It only represents a 4 million a year increase for Paulie. He has earned it and he will earn it.

He is 29 and in his prime for the next 5 years. He works his arse off and will not take days off. Can you guaranttee that from a Delgado who is older?

Paul has the perfect power swing for Soxpark and will not hit near as many in NY,or Anaheim. I think those are the big players. In Boston he would hit many doubles -not as many homers.

Start the chants today- Come back,Pauleee- clap clap- clap clap clap.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I like the Delgado and Thome moves, but let's face it. They're both terrible defensive liabilities, even for first base. If they come in, it will be to replace the Everett/Thomas DH position. If Konerko needs to be replaced, it will be by someone like Lyle Overbay.

Something tells me the Brewers would do it. I'd sign and trade Garland straight up for Overbay. The Brewers need one more pitcher to put them over the top, IMO. The Sox are overloaded with pitching and a Garland trade would open up a spot for BMac.
Personally, I think Garland's hit his peak, but don't tell the Brewers that.

TaylorStSox
10-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Again, this means nothing. As has been mentioned the sox have 15 days of exclusive negotiating rights. If they do not get it done -he is gone.

I think 5 yr 65 million is the right number.

It only represents a 4 million a year increase for Paulie. He has earned it and he will earn it.

He is 29 and in his prime for the next 5 years. He works his arse off and will not take days off. Can you guaranttee that from a Delgado who is older?

Paul has the perfect power swing for Soxpark and will not hit near as many in NY,or Anaheim. I think those are the big players. In Boston he would hit many doubles -not as many homers.

Start the chants today- Come back,Pauleee- clap clap- clap clap clap.

I wouldn't want to be committed to either for 5 years.

TaylorStSox
10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Something tells me the Brewers would do it. I'd sign and trade Garland straight up for Overbay. The Brewers need one more pitcher to put them over the top, IMO. The Sox are overloaded with pitching and a Garland trade would open up a spot for BMac.
Personally, I think Garland's hit his peak, but don't tell the Brewers that.

Garland for Overbay? :?: :redface:

Vernam
10-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Remember this everyone... if Konerko leaves, we get all that money to spend on 1, 2, maybe 3 other guys. The Sox have a budget and will spend that much. Its a zero-sum game.Right, and if Kenny could add a couple of players with anything approaching the impact of AJ, Dye and Pods, we'd be fine. I hope Konerko comes back because he's exactly the type of player we need in the clubhouse, but we can't overpay. For reasons of public perception, losing Paulie would be bad. But the Sox made too many decisions in the past for those reasons. The mantra that Winning Brings Out the Fans needs to be foremost in everyone's mind. If we win, the people will come; if Paulie hits his 40 HR for us but we're cash-strapped and unable to pay other players, the people will stay away in droves. Paying him the big bucks he deserves only makes sense if we have enough left to stay competitive.

Vernam

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Only a stupid owner would pay 14-15M for Konerko.

Sure he hits 40 HRs every year but look at his handicaps. He can't really score from 1st on a double. He'll never beat out a double play. HE can only DH and play 1st.

Look at 2003. His performance vs. pay was the biggest heist of the century.

Pitching and defense won it. So invest the money there.

But Jerry has to realize winning a world series is not cheap.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Konerko just said at the parade, 'we'll have to do this again next year...'

Hidden meaning? Pap nonsense? Anything between the lines in that statement??

Lip

manders_01
10-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Was it just me, or did Paulie just insinuate that he's coming back next year? He said (paraphrasing) the only way to silence the critics is if we come back and win another. Interesting!

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 02:50 PM

Lip

But a reality we may have to face as it is with most athletes-money talks.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 02:54 PM

LipI'm sure he'd like to be back. I'm also sure it will take a hometown discount for that to happen. How big of a discount will he give? I don't think we're going to get the answer to that soon. Assuming they offer arbitration (no question), they've got until Jan 9 to come to an agreement. Stay tuned.

Iggster
10-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I believe that he will be back.......and hopefully what he did say is ture "We will be back" RESIGN PAULIE!!!

HawkDJ
10-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I think that's what you have to say in that case. What would he say: I hope we win next year, but I won't be here!

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I was kind of hoping his gift for JR was going to be a signed contract. :redneck

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
I think that's what you have to say in that case. What would he say: I hope we win next year, but I won't be here!I dunno, he could have said NOTHING. Just "This one's for Chicago - Thanks!" and walked away...

soxfan26
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I dunno, he could have said NOTHING. Just "This one's for Chicago - Thanks!" and walked away...

Great point. I got a nice warm fuzzy from PK's speech, but only time will tell...

cleanwsox
10-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I was kind of hoping his gift for JR was going to be a signed contract. :redneck

Haha, I was thinking the exact thing too. I was sure he was going to say, "Jerry, I love this team, so here is my hometown discount." :D:

nevr say dye sox
10-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Ozzie said he was coming back! I don't think he would come back if he didn't think they had a chance to repeat! I'm sure Kenny and Paulie have had discussion, and I'm sure Kenny knows what Paulie wants. I don't think he would have made that comment if the two sides are that far off. Don't be suprised to see a deal done next week!

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Haha, I was thinking the exact thing too. I was sure he was going to say, "Jerry, I love this team, so here is my hometown discount." :D:Haha, yeah - "Jerry, I drew up this contract on a cocktail napkin last night... you only have to pay me $12 million a year!"

Not bloody likely. :D:

deck27
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I think he signs for more than Beltre, he was at $13 million no?

mcfish
10-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Idiot from Fox is calling it a calculated PR move by Paulie to try to get more money. What an *******. Why can't Paulie just be doing something nice for someone who deserves it like Jerry Reinsdorf? I thought it was just an awesome thing to witness.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Idiot from Fox is calling it a calculated PR move by Paulie to try to get more money. What an *******. Why can't Paulie just be doing something nice for someone who deserves it like Jerry Reinsdorf? I thought it was just an awesome thing to witness.You answered your own question.

mcfish
10-28-2005, 03:13 PM
You answered your own question.Well, I guess you got me there. :redface:

It just angered me to see the announcer crap on such a thoughtless act by Paulie. At least he waited until the post-rally analysis and didn't just say that during the rally.

rickpro13
10-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Idiot from Fox...

The true definition of an oxymoron

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Idiot from Fox is calling it a calculated PR move by Paulie to try to get more money. What an *******. Why can't Paulie just be doing something nice for someone who deserves it like Jerry Reinsdorf? I thought it was just an awesome thing to witness.

I think it was thoughtful on PK's part and not a PR move. However, I think JR will now give him what he wants (possibly 5 years, 70 mil?)

mcfish
10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I think it was thoughtful on PK's part and not a PR move. However, I think JR will now give him what he wants (possibly 5 years, 70 mil?)I agree. I'm not denying that it's going to be good for Paulie's contract situation. But it was definitely a thoughtful gift by PK and not a contract negotiation plan.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I think it was thoughtful on PK's part and not a PR move. However, I think JR will now give him what he wants (possibly 5 years, 70 mil?)I have no idea how much PK is going to want. I would think those kind of numbers would do it, although it sounds a little high to me. It's very possible he will wait and see how much other teams are going to offer before he makes a final decision - if only to see how much of a discount he's giving. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on him coming back. He seems to really like this team and playing for Ozzie. There are things more important than money, and let's face it, how much of a difference is a couple million when you're making that kind of money?

mweflen
10-28-2005, 03:28 PM
let's face it, how much of a difference is a couple million when you're making that kind of money?

I asked myself this question many a time before Magglio left. :(:

mcfish
10-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I have no idea how much PK is going to want. I would think those kind of numbers would do it, although it sounds a little high to me. It's very possible he will wait and see how much other teams are going to offer before he makes a final decision - if only to see how much of a discount he's giving. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on him coming back. He seems to really like this team and playing for Ozzie. There are things more important than money, and let's face it, how much of a difference is a couple million when you're making that kind of money?We all know you're right - and let's hope Paul has the same idea. Not that it's never happened before, but it would be a breath of fresh air if Paul signs for less because he thinks will help his team. Spending a ton of money on one player is not good for a team on a budget.

rookieroy
10-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to a longer deal at less money...maybe a 6-7 year contract or maybe longer.

WSoxFanForever
10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
I got the impression that he didn't want to leave. We'll see.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I asked myself this question many a time before Magglio left. :(:It's never made a difference to me.:tongue:

kevin57
10-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I think that's what you have to say in that case. What would he say: I hope we win next year, but I won't be here!

He could have said nothing. Could have offered a bland, "This was a team effort. I'm glad I could play some (small) role in it." BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

He used the "we" word and "one more time." Those terms are definitely "optional" in this context.

kevin57
10-28-2005, 04:56 PM
I asked myself this question many a time before Magglio left. :(:

Not to be forgotten, but Magglio had Bore-Ass as his agent. PK does not.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Not to be forgotten, but Magglio had Bore-Ass as his agent. PK does not.Boras didn't put a gun to Ordonez' head. Maybe Boras enticed him with visions of a huge payday, but he made that decision on his own.

Tragg
10-28-2005, 05:24 PM
It's the years, not the dollar amount per, that make me wary. I'd go higher per, fewer years, if possible. Of course, at 30 years old, a 5 year deal will set him for life, if he isn't already.

cleanwsox
10-28-2005, 05:24 PM
He could have said nothing. Could have offered a bland, "This was a team effort. I'm glad I could play some (small) role in it." BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

He used the "we" word and "one more time." Those terms are definitely "optional" in this context.

It's basically a ploy everybody uses when they get in front of large crowds. Like every band in the world saying, "X city has the best rock and roll fans in the world." It's used to make the crowd go wild and that's about it. Pauly knows what he is gonna do, unfortunately we need to wait and find out what that is.

cleanwsox
10-28-2005, 05:27 PM
:tomatoaward

Unregistered
10-28-2005, 05:32 PM
It's basically a ploy everybody uses when they get in front of large crowds. Like every band in the world saying, "X city has the best rock and roll fans in the world." It's used to make the crowd go wild and that's about it. Pauly knows what he is gonna do, unfortunately we need to wait and find out what that is.I don't buy that. The "ploy everybody uses" or at least used today was the ol' "This one is for the fans" line that pretty much everyone said and left.

Konerko went up there and even said "Everyone is being so quick up here, I'm going to take my time and enjoy this..." and then went on to say that may people will respect them if they go out and do it again next year, which is what he intends on doing. Then he went and gave the ball that he had been saving since the end of the game on Wednesday to JR. That's FAR more than he had to say/do considering how everyone else just said a few words and walked off.

If everyone was reading into some empty gesture like him walking to the podium, saying "I love this city - thanks for everything!" and walking away - and trying to decipher some meaning out of that, I'd be a lot more cynical.

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Per Bruce Levine, Konerko wants to stay, feels that there's a deal to be made, feels that the ball-incident was from his heart and really made it more likely that he'll stay, and that he'll get 5-yrs and 65-70M. And "the money will be there on the South Side".

Levine also responded to a comment that Paulie's looking for $75/5 that he won't get that type of offer from anyone because he's a good but not great 1B and didn't have that great of a year in the regular season outside of the 40HR. He also noted that his best ballpark to hit in is USCF which will bring down the $$ a bit elsewhere as well.

In other words, Levine don't really know **** but has a good feeling about him staying!

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Per Bruce Levine, Konerko wants to stay, feels that there's a deal to be made, feels that the ball-incident was from his heart and really made it more likely that he'll stay, and that he'll get 5-yrs and 65-70M. And "the money will be there on the South Side".

Levine also responded to a comment that Paulie's looking for $75/5 that he won't get that type of offer from anyone because he's a good but not great 1B and didn't have that great of a year in the regular season outside of the 40HR. He also noted that his best ballpark to hit in is USCF which will bring down the $$ a bit elsewhere as well.

In other words, Levine don't really know **** but has a good feeling about him staying!If they can get him for 5 yrs at $65-70M, that's a bit on the high end IMO, but wouldn't be a bad deal. If they can back-load it a bit, say $12M the first year and increasing from there and also defer part of it, I'd sign him for that in a second. I'll be more than happy to chip in my $2 per seat.

chidonez
10-28-2005, 06:03 PM
This point has probably been made, but I'll say it again anyway.

One thing I hope we have learned (a la Frank), is that if we give this guy (Paulie) a long-term contract, there better be performance incentives involved. There's no way we need to be saddled by another injured or slumping superstar. I know this sounds harsh, but it's the smart thing to do, and being smart is what got KW and the Sox this far.

Paulwny
10-28-2005, 06:57 PM
This point has probably been made, but I'll say it again anyway.

One thing I hope we have learned (a la Frank), is that if we give this guy (Paulie) a long-term contract, there better be performance incentives involved. There's no way we need to be saddled by another injured or slumping superstar. I know this sounds harsh, but it's the smart thing to do, and being smart is what got KW and the Sox this far.

What type of performance incentives? MLB does not allow contacts to have offensive number clauses.

Lillian
10-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Are any of you worried about the potential for some damage to team chemistry, from paying one of the components such a disparate amount of money? Could other players become envious to the degree that they develop resentment? Perhaps there is more to consider here than simply whether or not P. k. and management can agree on the amount, and terms of a new contract.
Wouldn't it be ironic if the Sox really extended themselves financially in order to resign him, because they were worried about not disturbing team chemistry, and then ended up disrupting that very chemistry by creating jealousy and resentment among other players? What is the historical precedent for this kind of thing?
I'm not trying to say that this is a problem, but rather simply asking for your feelings on the subject.

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 09:54 PM
There are things more important than money, and let's face it, how much of a difference is a couple million when you're making that kind of money?

Oh I don't know. Why don't you ask Cedric Benson? :wink:

kitekrazy
10-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I think the Sox organization is willing to spend more money. Maybe the Sox draw close to 3M next season. A team reaps the benefits of more income for a few years after winning it all.

I think most fans don't trust Reinsdorf and think he'll go cheap. The 2.3 million attendees did their part. Now it's your turn Mr. Reinsdorf.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2005, 11:20 PM
What type of performance incentives? MLB does not allow contacts to have offensive number clauses.But you can have incentives for games played, AB, etc. These are mostly used to ensure health issues and not performance. I don't think it's an issue. The only injury I can recall is in 2002 (?) when he hurt his foot late in the year.

wassagstdu
10-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Are any of you worried about the potential for some damage to team chemistry, from paying one of the components such a disparate amount of money? Could other players become envious to the degree that they develop resentment? Perhaps there is more to consider here than simply whether or not P. k. and management can agree on the amount, and terms of a new contract.
Wouldn't it be ironic if the Sox really extended themselves financially in order to resign him, because they were worried about not disturbing team chemistry, and then ended up disrupting that very chemistry by creating jealousy and resentment among other players? What is the historical precedent for this kind of thing?
I'm not trying to say that this is a problem, but rather simply asking for your feelings on the subject.

I was thinking about the same thing.

itsnotrequired
10-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I think the Sox organization is willing to spend more money. Maybe the Sox draw close to 3M next season. A team reaps the benefits of more income for a few years after winning it all.

I think most fans don't trust Reinsdorf and think he'll go cheap. The 2.3 million attendees did their part. Now it's your turn Mr. Reinsdorf.

I don't think the Sox will draw 3 million but 2.6 million seems reasonable. Don't forget all the people who signed up for 2006 season tickets to get 2005 WS tickets.

Open the purse, Jerry...

Brewski
10-29-2005, 12:10 AM
:reinsy Free?

StillMissOzzie
10-29-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm sure he'd like to be back. I'm also sure it will take a hometown discount for that to happen. How big of a discount will he give? I don't think we're going to get the answer to that soon. Assuming they offer arbitration (no question), they've got until Jan 9 to come to an agreement. Stay tuned.

Am I the only one out here who smells this year's splashy SoxFest announcement? I think 5 yrs/ $65M sounds about right, structured as $11M, $13M, $15M, $17M, and $19M.

Just as long as JR doesn't want to defer $60M of it.

SMO
:gulp:

antitwins13
10-29-2005, 01:33 AM
I also noticed Esteban Loazia filed. Sign him! No teal.

Tragg
10-29-2005, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't defer it; now is when we can afford the salary. Anything more than 12 a year seems more than his production, to me.

KRS1
10-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Am I the only one out here who smells this year's splashy SoxFest announcement? I think 5 yrs/ $65M sounds about right, structured as $11M, $13M, $15M, $17M, and $19M.

Just as long as JR doesn't want to defer $60M of it.

SMO
:gulp:

I'm pretty sure Paulie won't be producing at the 19 mil level when he's 35. We all know Paulie has made a good living around here, even during some off seasons(or half seasons). If I were in his shoes staying in Chicago for 10 a year over 3 or 4 seasons wouldnt bother me. Especially with all the free food he'll be eating around the South side, I think it's safe to say he wont have to pick up a bill for a long time at Gino's East.

OEO Magglio
10-29-2005, 02:38 AM
I also noticed Esteban Loazia filed. Sign him! No teal.
There should be.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2005, 02:43 AM
There should be.:hawk

Where would he play?

KRS1
10-29-2005, 02:49 AM
:hawk

Where would he play?

Designated game-blower.:tongue:

IlliniSox4Life
10-29-2005, 04:05 AM
Honestly, as much as I love Konerko right now, I don't think I will every seriously doubt anything Kenny Williams does ever again. The one guy we got before the deadline hits the game winning home run in game 3 of the world series? brilliant. Lee for Pods? Brilliant. Iguchi? Brilliant. As much as I may disagree with any signing he makes, Kenny gets the benefit of the doubt on any move he makes. If he lets Konerko go, so be it, there are probably other areas the money can go to.

That said, I hope Konerko is where the money goes, he's one of the classiest low key guys in baseball. Anyone else remember Manny's "I need to loosen my batting gloves after I hit a home run even though were losing" and Paulie's "I'll just round the bases and let all these people know even though theyre going to offer me 20 million a year I'm not coming here" moves in Game 3 of the DS? Yeah, go Paulie.

kevin57
10-29-2005, 09:31 AM
I would not expect a quick signing by PK. He's indicated he'll test the market. I don't necessarily read anything ominous in that. I suspect he is genuinely curious to see what his value is. Also, if he does give a hometown discount, there will be that extra boost he would get from fans for turning out bigger money to stay here. But I would not expect PK to sign in this next week.

Jenks4Pres
10-29-2005, 09:47 AM

I hear ya!!!!!!

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Am I the only one out here who smells this year's splashy SoxFest announcement?Nice thought, but the deadline for signing him is Jan 9. If they don't get it done by then, they can't sign him until May 1.

jabrch
10-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Especially with all the free food he'll be eating around the South side, I think it's safe to say he wont have to pick up a bill for a long time at Gino's East.

Gino's East isn't on the South Side. The original is downtown, and the closes to South Side is Orland Park, which is SW Burbs.

Now Connies, on the other hand...

ScottsdaleSoxFan
10-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Paulie did enough for this team already. I won't be as upset as when Magglio left if he decides to leave. I appreciate everything Konerko did for us.

Nellie_Fox
10-30-2005, 02:35 AM
From the Boston Herald: http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=109394

Paulie's agent considers Boston "a good fit."