PDA

View Full Version : Letting go of the playoff routines

Hendu
10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
These playoff habits are hard to break. Anyone else having problems letting go?

So far today, I unconsciously put on my lucky corduroys, which I was wearing for all Sox playoff victories (the black wool slacks that I wore the day of the loss to Anaheim might have to go to charity :redneck). After I realized that I didn't need to wear them, I finally put them in the laundry basket.

Then, just a few minutes ago, as I was about to crack open a beer, I opted for my lucky bottle opener, instead of the other one that was right in front of me.

I know my playoff habits/superstitions are not as cool as, say, growing a beard....but hey, they worked. :cool:

Realist
10-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I slept in my jersey last nite and I couldn't bring myself to shave my playoff beard today. Maybe I'll do it after the parade.

Flight #24
10-27-2005, 08:42 PM
My wife was absolutely thrilled at the victory, because it meant my Division Champions shirt, the one worn every day of weekend games and evening of weekday games since game 2 of the LCS would finally get washed. However, I am proud to note that the shirt was 8-0!

JR, where can I pick up my ring? Do I get a full playoff share?

:cool:

spiffie
10-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I wore clean clothes for the first time in days today.

Maybe that's why no one wanted to be near me at Puffer's last night:redface:

WinOrDyeTrying
I can FINALLY wash my Sox hat. Its been a tough season for that poor thing.

chaerulez
I slept in my jersey last nite and I couldn't bring myself to shave my playoff beard today. Maybe I'll do it after the parade.

Ha, I also wouldn't shave- but it was only during the world series. I figured I should counter the Astros' playoff beards.

Yorke97
10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Breaking my gameday postseason routine, I wore clean socks (white, of course) did not play the piano while my wife was showering, did not wear my blue jeans (7-0 while wearing them), did not pack a sack lunch, did not play EA's MLB baseball on PS2, did not watch VH1 during any break in the action, did not use the small paper clips when handing in my paperwork at the end of my workday, did not change the radio station from AM 1000 to 670 at the corner of Washington and South Business Drive. However, I DID wear Sox hat today because I was SO proud of this team.

Ol' No. 2
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
My wife was absolutely thrilled at the victory, because it meant my Division Champions shirt, the one worn every day of weekend games and evening of weekday games since game 2 of the LCS would finally get washed. However, I am proud to note that the shirt was 8-0!

JR, where can I pick up my ring? Do I get a full playoff share?

:cool:I made a strategic decision when the WS started. I reasoned I'd used up all the mojo in my division champions shirt and switched to my AL Champion shirt. Obviously, it was a correct decision.

My wife is also thrilled that after today I'm not wearing white socks every day. For some reason she didn't think they went well with dress slacks.

ATXBMX
10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I was playing one game of MVP 2004 on my computer, every night for the last month. 26-0 in the video game, 16-1 in real life. :cool:

Oh, and I just happened to play Houston in the world series during the first year of my dynasty. Coincidence?

DaveIsHere
10-27-2005, 08:59 PM
I am going to break my routine tonight...that is by going to bed and getting some freaking sleep and knowing that we are WORLD CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HotelWhiteSox
10-27-2005, 08:59 PM
These playoff habits are hard to break. Anyone else having problems letting go?

Absolutely. I still don't really want to shave. Also, it's going to feel weird washing my lucky AL Central Champ shirt (I only wore it during games, so it doesn't smell :D: ). While watching them arrive and seeing them salute, I had this feeling like they were coming home to rest for another round, in which they would've dominated as well.

Huisj
10-27-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't really want to get rid of the beard either. I grew it kind of expecting that shaving it off would come when the playoff run ended, and that it would kind of symbolize the passing of this season and getting back to reality.

And then the Sox didn't lose, and they didn't lose, and they didn't lose . . . AND THEY WON!

I almost feel like I have to keep the beard for a while as a tribute to the season or something. I've also gotten so used to wearing my Sox hat every day that I dread the thought of actually having to make my hair look ok in the morning rather than just shoving the hat on when I walk out the door.

Oh, and is anyone else having trouble sitting still or concentrating tonight with no game on at all? I don't know what to do with myself and I can't sit still.

I think it's still sinking in what happened.

FedEx227
10-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I might try and give this sleeping thing a shot.

soxjim
10-27-2005, 09:11 PM
It is hard to let go. I had so much fun with this playoff stretch that ended with a World Series Championship. Now I can get to bed at a decent hour. Would I do this again next year? You bet I would. In a heart beat. Thank you SOX for a great season.:)

Jurr
10-27-2005, 09:36 PM
I bought a black Nike Sox hat at the beginning of the year. It's one of the flexfit hats with the diamond logo on the front. I've worn it every time I've watched a game.

Last night, while my friends and I celebrated all night, we were dousing each other with champagne. Bottles and bottles of it! The hat is coated with champagne and beer now. My buddy, who's been in sports radio forever, has added that hat and a WS Program to his enormous room of sports memorabilia. He's a Cardinals fan, so I was very honored............and my only real "routine" was put to rest.

gogochisox1917
10-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Towards the end of the playoffs and into the World Series, it was beginning to feel like everthing I did was some sort of routine or was surrounded by some superstition. A shrink would have had a field day with me for the last month. I was starting to go crazy trying to keep up with all of the things I felt I "had to do" to keep the Sox winning! I figured I'd be happy to give some of it up, but d*** it's hard. Every time I change something I get this little pang of guilt, then I remember that the Chicago White Sox are the World Champions and I just let it go. I'm looking forward to many more crazy Octobers with these guys!:moonwalk:

Hokiesox
10-27-2005, 10:58 PM
My wife is happy to have her side of the couch back. It just so happened that I was sitting on her usual side to watch game 1 of the Boston series. I also had my yellow shirt on. I watched every single game from that side of the couch in my yellow shirt (just happened to be the one I was wearing that first gameday). Now I can wash the shirt and she can have the couch back.

Of course, this doesn't count game 1 of the Series, which I watched with 40 of my closest new friends in DC.

Muopsies
10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
I feel very sad and depressed along with pure joy. I was used to coming home from work and sitting down watching with my roommate and celebrating then calming down then reading all about the game the next morning. Its like your friend is gone now and you really liked your friend, there was something comforting about it and I feel depressed. Even if they win next year, it'll feel completely different. Maybe that's what it is, we waited and wondered for so long how this would feel now we know and its great but we'll never feel like this again and I guess that's what makes this sad. Go Sox, to the World Champs!

fusillirob1983
10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
I wore a new pair of socks for the first time since Friday. I wore the same pair of white socks until this morning, when I put on a clean pair of brown socks that I wore with adidas pants, until about 6pm when my laundry was clean and I could put on a clean pair of white socks. I wore the same cargo pants since Friday too, even after game 3 when I got a dab of beer spilled on them. I wore the same shirt during each game, sprayed Axe all over my clothes after each game to get rid of the bar smell. It's nice to wear some clean clothes.

Iwritecode
10-28-2005, 01:03 AM
I mentioned one other time that many people wear a gold cross around their neck. I wear a gold Sox charm instead. (And boy was I praying to the baseball gods these past few weeks.) :wink:

I never really got into many of the superstitions of wearing the same clothes, eating the same food, watching the same TV, etc... Although I do admit that throughout this entire playoff run I haven't worn a single Sox shirt, hat, coat, nothing. So today it felt good to finally put on my brand new Sox shirt that I got for my b-day. :cool:

Anyway, back to the charm and more specifically the necklace that it was on. I attached a picture of it and you can see that it was just barely hanging together by a thread. It's been that way for the past month or more. I was scared to death that I would wake up one day and find that it had broken. I was also afraid to take it off until the season ended. So I took my chances and it held on to the final out.

Afterwards as I was sitting and watching the team spray champange on each other (for the 4th time) I was finally able to take it off and took a good look at it. I have this funny feeling that it's not fixable and destined for the circular file. I have to take it to a jewelry store to see what I can do with it. I do still have my charm on but it's a different chain. :smile:

So to answer the question... No, I had no problems breaking out of my playoff habits. :tongue:

getonbckthr
10-28-2005, 02:41 AM
i shaved last night completely hammered. therfor i had to shave again this morning before work. i couldnt handle the beard anymore after a month.

mattcoz
10-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Shaved earlier today, it was getting pretty out of hand.

I also traded in my hat that I wore all season long for my wonderful new World Series champions hat. It was pretty disgusting with all the dirt and sweat from wearing it every single day for the entire season.

AOEllis
10-28-2005, 03:43 AM
Even tho its not really a superstition, My mom sent me a washcloth down to school in a care package with the white sox logo on it. I needed some more washcloths, so I asked for some along with the traditional food stuff. I couldn't bear to use it so I hung it over the shelf directly above the computer screen. Oh, by the way, the package came on the day of the 3rd game of the Detroit Series. I tapped the washcloth four times everytime I entered/left the room during pre-present-and post game.

Also, being a male cheerleader for the absolute worst football program ever, I missed innings 1-7 of game 1 due to the penn state disaster. I wrote on the athletic tape on my wrist "Go Sox" AFter the game I kept my segment of tape with the writing on it, and the next night when I missed 1-8 innings of game 2 bc of nationals preparation practice I taped the segment back onto my wrist around the new tape. So when Tuesday came along and I missed innings 1-4, 6-10 of game 3 because of our halftime performance routine at the Bulls/Grizzlies game (saw inning 5 at a UC sports bar), guess what, the segment was taped over the new wrist tape. So last night when we had yet another nationals preparation practice, which made me miss inning 1-top of the 9th, well, I think you should get the point. I saw the only inning that really mattered, and that little segment of tape is sitting on top of the washcloth and will be framed.

twinsuck1
10-28-2005, 04:48 AM
Finally shaved! Did so while listening to Sox talk on the Score....Felt GREAT!