PDA

View Full Version : Which WS Game Was It Baseball at Its Best?

kevin57
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
This is for baseball purists. Not considering which game was the most exciting, necessarily, or which one proved strategically most important for the Sox. Which game did baseball portray its best self?

ode to veeck
10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
How do I vote for all of them?

miker
10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Just like in the regular season, the White Sox found a different way every night to win! I vote for all of them!

kevin57
10-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I favor Game 3.

It was sloppy at times, but each team threw everything into it. EVERYTHING. And it was managerial skill at its best.

ja1022
10-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Hard to argue with game four. Great pitching and defense, and tactical managing. The top of the eighth is a nice example. Harris pinch hitting and taking a fastball away the other way. Podsednik sacrificing and Everett, pinch hitting, putting the ball in play behind the runner, leading to Dye shortening up and going back up the middle.

Of all the "defining moments" in this post season for the World Champion Chicago White Sox, I'm proudest of the five run fifth against Sandy Koufax err..., Roy Oswalt in game three. I mean, the guy all the gurus where telling us was money, got systematically taken down in that fifth inning after his team gave him a four run cushion. Strange thing is I didn't feel to worried as we went through the third then the forth. It just felt like they'd do enough to win. God, I'm ready for another game tonight. **** winter.

Chips
10-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Game 4 for the great pitching, the great defense.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Game 4 for the great pitching, the great defense.

you got it

Wsoxmike59
10-27-2005, 09:37 PM
The 1-0 game is always a classic pitching duel. It starts off and looks boring on the surface, but when you look at it closely you can see an ebb and flow of the game developing.

The most intense part of a 1-0 game is that every pitch and every play has the potential to turn the game around. It's always nerve wracking to sit through.

The 7th-8th-& 9th innings become a chess match, and the game tightens up even further, when it becomes evident that you're playing for 1 run and not the BIG inning.

The drama of the 8th and 9th inning in last night's game 4 with the Sox holding the 1 run lead, the tension in the stands was palpable. To watch it at home was almost unbearable. (the wife had to pass me the tums for the 1st time EVER while watching a playoff game!)

Juan Uribe's flawless glove work in the 9th had me awestruck and sitting on the edge of my chair!! One false move, one bobbled ball, one double clutch, and the game would've been tied. WHEW!!!

spawn
10-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Without a doubt, it was game 4. This was a game that had to be won because neither team was going to just give it away. Great pitching, great defense, and the two plays that ended the Series will always be remembered by me as examples of how badly we wanted to win.

Ol' No. 2
10-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Baseball is a multi-faceted game, and the four games were completely different, but all completely baseball.

Game 1: Pound the Rocket early and don't look back
Game 2: See-saw battle with several lead changes and ties
Game 3: Another back-and-forth struggle, turning into a marathon
Game 4: Classic pitcher's duel

How can one possibly choose?