PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Sox WS coverage has been brutal.

antitwins13
10-27-2005, 06:59 PM
I was telling myself that I would regret it if I watched ESPN for post WS championship coverage and I was right. First, On PTI Wilbon said that this championship was the 5th greatest moment in Chicago sports history after a Notre Dame football championship, then in SportsCenter all I heard was talk about how it's the Cubs turn and nothing really about the team itself. I'm so gullable.

miker
10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah, you really have only yourself to blame for hoping their tune would change.

Our White Sox have won the World Series and nothing they can say or do can take that away!

ChiSoxRowand
10-28-2005, 12:17 AM
I was telling myself that I would regret it if I watched ESPN for post WS championship coverage and I was right. First, On PTI Wilbon said that this championship was the 5th greatest moment in Chicago sports history after a Notre Dame football championship, then in SportsCenter all I heard was talk about how it's the Cubs turn and nothing really about the team itself. I'm so gullable.

He said a Notre Dame football championship was a better moment then this? You've got to be kidding me. Notre Dame isn't even a Chicago team.

likeawarlord
10-28-2005, 12:27 AM
by this afternoon the main page of espn.com had hardly any mention of the ws, with the primary item being marcus vick and the vt game.

back to flying under the radar, i guess.

ilsox7
10-28-2005, 12:29 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but the Cubs, media, and anything else means nothing to me. We won. No one can take that away. Screw everything else.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Sox fans have the team and each other. I have long since stopped expecting the rest of the country to understand.

chaerulez
10-28-2005, 01:15 AM
He said a Notre Dame football championship was a better moment then this? You've got to be kidding me. Notre Dame isn't even a Chicago team.

Wilbon said Chicago considers Notre Dame a Chicago team which is a total lie. I barely hear anything about Notret Dame or college football in general on the Score or WMVP. No one I know cares about Notre Dame and infact I can't stand Notre Dame. The truth is college sports just aren't big in Chicago and I nothing in college sports will ever surpass the 2005 White Sox ever.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Wilbon said Chicago considers Notre Dame a Chicago team which is a total lie. I barely hear anything about Notret Dame or college football in general on the Score or WMVP. No one I know cares about Notre Dame and infact I can't stand Notre Dame. The truth is college sports just aren't big in Chicago and I nothing in college sports will ever surpass the 2005 White Sox ever.I don't know who you hang with, but my whole life I've seen Chicagoans go crazy over Notre Dame football. Chicagoans aren't referred to as "subway alumni" for nothing. The fact that you don't hear about them on WSCR or WMVP means nothing. They are so narrowly focused (almost exclusively on Bears football) that they are no measure of anything.

Whenever I try to explain to Minnesota people my inability to understand their lockstep devotion to the Golden Gophers, I point out that most states have several teams dividing the loyalty. When I talk about the Chicago area and college football, I always include Notre Dame as one of the teams that Chicagoans pay attention to.

SOXintheBURGH
10-28-2005, 01:27 AM
I don't know who you hang with, but my whole life I've seen Chicagoans go crazy over Notre Dame football. Chicagoans aren't referred to as "subway alumni" for nothing. The fact that you don't hear about them on WSCR or WMVP means nothing. They are so narrowly focused (almost exclusively on Bears football) that they are no measure of anything.

Whenever I try to explain to Minnesota people my inability to understand their lockstep devotion to the Golden Gophers, I point out that most states have several teams dividing the loyalty. When I talk about the Chicago area and college football, I always include Notre Dame as one of the teams that Chicagoans pay attention to.

A lot of people in Pittsburgh hate Penn State with a passion, and a lot of people in Pittsburgh adore Penn State.

I always connected that with the same situation with Notre Dame in Chicago.

buehrle4cy05
10-28-2005, 01:32 AM
Wilbon is from Chicago, so he knows what he's talking about.

Banix12
10-28-2005, 01:40 AM
I think there are a lot of Norte Dame fans around here but not enough for it to count as a big deal for the whole city.

For me this sox championship is #1 but I can see how the Bears championship would be #1 for most people. Even that said I would at least put any Baseball championships above any of the bulls championships, except for maybe that year with the 72 wins.

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2005, 01:48 AM
I think there are a lot of Norte Dame fans around here but not enough for it to count as a big deal for the whole city. Now, that I agree with. A Notre Dame championship is not a top moment for Chicago sports. I was just taking issue with the idea that Chicago doesn't care about Notre Dame football. I would say that Chicago cares as much about Notre Dame as they do about the Illini, and maybe more.

Chisox353014
10-28-2005, 03:39 AM
Now, that I agree with. A Notre Dame championship is not a top moment for Chicago sports. I was just taking issue with the idea that Chicago doesn't care about Notre Dame football. I would say that Chicago cares as much about Notre Dame as they do about the Illini, and maybe more.

In football yes, in basketball no way. Chicago went pretty nuts for the Illini run to the Final Four this year. But even so, I still wouldn't put an Illinois national second-place finish on a Chicago greatest-of list. And I'm a U of I alum.

Bucky F. Dent
10-28-2005, 09:25 AM
IMHO, this is the list.

1 - '85 Bears (the fact that Payton was on this team puts it over the top, but that's the only reason its not number two)
2 - 2005 White Sox
3 - 1991 Bulls Championship...the First
4 - '95-'96 Bulls 72 Win Season

Honorable Mention to the '61 Blackhawks, only because I love the Hawks, and remember what an integral part of the city's sports landscape that they used to be. If, IF, they ever won again, a Hawks Stanley Cup would be in my top three.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-28-2005, 12:18 PM
In football yes, in basketball no way. Chicago went pretty nuts for the Illini run to the Final Four this year. But even so, I still wouldn't put an Illinois national second-place finish on a Chicago greatest-of list. And I'm a U of I alum.

Tailgating on Opening Day, there were a lot orange flags flying high. Higher than our Sox. A couple of guys on the street were selling Illini shirts.

Dan Mega
10-28-2005, 12:31 PM
I am so sick about hearing of ND. They are so overrated and overexposed. They have never done anything for this city, ever.

Dick Allen
10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't want to hear anything about ND being a "Chicago team". Why don't we make Purdue, Marquette, and Wisconsin Chicago teams while we're at it. Lots of alumni around here, the distances aren't much different.

downstairs
10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
IMHO, this is the list.

1 - '85 Bears (the fact that Payton was on this team puts it over the top, but that's the only reason its not number two)
2 - 2005 White Sox

I think almost everyone in Chicago would agree with you on that. Even Flubs fans, even though they won't say it.

TomBradley72
10-28-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't know who you hang with, but my whole life I've seen Chicagoans go crazy over Notre Dame football. Chicagoans aren't referred to as "subway alumni" for nothing. I always include Notre Dame as one of the teams that Chicagoans pay attention to.

For my money the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are "the Cubs of college football"....over rated, fan base over states how "special" they are, more media attention then they deserve.

Sure there are alot of ND fans in the Chicago area....but no way are they in the same group as "true Chicago teams".

Black Sox
10-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Comcast has had great coverage throughout. I've tuned into them mainly. ESPN is worthless. If the series went to six games and they played on Saturday and won it, I'd bet ESPN's lead off coverage Sunday morning would be College football. Not that I care now that we have Comcast giving us all the local coverage we can ask for.

maurice
10-28-2005, 05:40 PM
For my money the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are "the Cubs of college football"

That's overstating it. At least ND has won some championships in the last 95+ years.

SoxFan76
10-28-2005, 07:24 PM
For my money the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are "the Cubs of college football"....over rated, fan base over states how "special" they are, more media attention then they deserve.

Sure there are alot of ND fans in the Chicago area....but no way are they in the same group as "true Chicago teams".

I've always gotten that impression too....minus the championships.

C-Dawg
10-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Northwestern, U of I, and even NIU get more coverage on the local TV sports segments than faraway Notre Dame. Heck South Bend isn't even a suburb. Like the other guy said, maybe we should consider Purdue to be a "Chicago team" also if we're going to be considering the whole Midwest.

Chicago is a world-class city with professional teams in all the major sports. In my opinion, putting a college team's accomplishment on a list such as this one is for cities such as Louisville, where there are no professional teams and they are completely NUTS for their college team. Like I said, that's just my opinion.

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
My favorite was the Wrigleyville guy on the ESPN piece last night that said our World Series championship was "all plastic and blasphemy". You could just tell it was sitting in his stomach and burning like crazy!

Stroker Ace
10-28-2005, 09:50 PM
IMHO, this is the list.

2 - 2005 White Sox

Honorable Mention to the '61 Blackhawks, only because I love the Hawks, and remember what an integral part of the city's sports landscape that they used to be. If, IF, they ever won again, a Hawks Stanley Cup would be in my top three.Yeah, the only event I could see being bigger than the Sox sweep would be the 85 Bears winning their first, and sadly to this day, only Super Bowl.

fquaye149
10-28-2005, 10:28 PM

You're entitled to your opinion. However, the nature of college sports (especially college sports at ND) almost necessitates that fans of a team who are alumni have had 4 years of close contact with their team.

To wit - most ND fans in the Chicago area could talk at length about the ND teams they grew up with.

ND grads are big in Chicago, for better or for worse. Something approaching half the ND class right now are from the Illinois area, or within a state away. That is a lot of people. These people move back to the city and work and they get a lot of help from alumni. Since I'm a waste of life and am likely to squander my degree in the field of teaching or creative writing, I don't say this as any sort of braggery..just the way things seem to be.

You can rip ND fans for any number of reasons, as is your right. The fact remains, a LOT of Chicagoans care about the Irish for non-Cublike reasons. In fact, the most Cub-like reason Chicagoans care about the Irish for is the unbridled hate this thread is a perfect example of.

But whatever, I can see how it would be frustrating to live in the city and see a preponderance of college football coverage for a team that doesn't even play in the same state. Just understand WHY this is (and that's even ignoring the large Irish and Catholic populations of Chicago) and be careful how you throw the Cubs tag around, k?

robertks61
10-28-2005, 10:34 PM

I agree 100%, the local media just jumps on the bandwagon. I hate them!!!

cornball
10-28-2005, 10:57 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. However, the nature of college sports (especially college sports at ND) almost necessitates that fans of a team who are alumni have had 4 years of close contact with their team.

To wit - most ND fans in the Chicago area could talk at length about the ND teams they grew up with.

ND grads are big in Chicago, for better or for worse. Something approaching half the ND class right now are from the Illinois area, or within a state away. That is a lot of people. These people move back to the city and work and they get a lot of help from alumni. Since I'm a waste of life and am likely to squander my degree in the field of teaching or creative writing, I don't say this as any sort of braggery..just the way things seem to be.

You can rip ND fans for any number of reasons, as is your right. The fact remains, a LOT of Chicagoans care about the Irish for non-Cublike reasons. In fact, the most Cub-like reason Chicagoans care about the Irish for is the unbridled hate this thread is a perfect example of.

But whatever, I can see how it would be frustrating to live in the city and see a preponderance of college football coverage for a team that doesn't even play in the same state. Just understand WHY this is (and that's even ignoring the large Irish and Catholic populations of Chicago) and be careful how you throw the Cubs tag around, k?

This is right. Chicago is an ND town always has been. For several reasons, it is a predominately a catholic town and has a large Irish population.

Ask any of the old time sports writers ie: Bill Gleason and the like and they will tell you ND news sold papers. Obviously the world has changed from years ago and the more "local" teams such as DePaul basketball, U of I, Northwestern are only covered when they win because the emphasis is pro teams. ND football is a huge story for this town don't kid yourself. I wouldn't consider it a the rankings with the pro teams.

Huisj
10-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Sportscenter also said that Illinois' big comeback win over Arizona last March in the NCAA tournament was one of the top 10 moments in Chicago sports history. Last time I drove to Chicago (which was a week ago), it took 2 hours. I clearly don't live in Chicago.

I don't understand ESPN.

TornLabrum
10-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Sportscenter also said that Illinois' big comeback win over Arizona last March in the NCAA tournament was one of the top 10 moments in Chicago sports history. Last time I drove to Chicago (which was a week ago), it took 2 hours. I clearly don't live in Chicago.

I don't understand ESPN.

That's okay. Neither does anyone else, including them.

SoxFan64
10-28-2005, 11:34 PM
IMHO, this is the list.

2 - 2005 White Sox

Honorable Mention to the '61 Blackhawks,

I concur with this list. At the risk of being banned a certain other baseball team winning it all would rate near the top of the list for Chicago. (It won't for me; but for the city sure.)

So to amending your list I would Not add that other baseball team but a NCAA b-ball win by Illini or DePaul. (The late 70's with Ray Meyer were unbelieveable for DePaul b-ball.)

And while I do not live in Chicago anymore, from my reading of the news and talking with folks who still live there I think an Illini win in either b-ball or f-ball would rate high. A ND f-ball win would too.

But for now, I go with your top four. And if the Hawks win it would make #5.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2005, 12:35 AM
The late 70's with Ray Meyer were unbelieveable for DePaul b-ball.I was an older-than-normal graduate student at DePaul then. It was positively electric. Chicago was very into DePaul basketball.