PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating today

Jjav829
10-27-2005, 04:36 PM
The Trib has a piece by Julia Keller today that is a must read. I won't go into much detail. Just read it. It's worth it.

An excerpt:

Baseball is played in the summer but ends in the autumn, when the light starts to fail and kids are called inside early, taken reluctantly from their games in vacant lots and dead-end streets. The moments are precious because they perish. The joy is special because it's temporary. "Death is the mother of beauty," wrote Wallace Stevens. What makes today so amazing—the first full day after the Sox victory—is that it is unique in the history of the world. And will remain so. Cherish it, because it is moving steadily out of your reach.

I don't know how everyone has spent the past 17 or so hours, but do yourselves a favor. Take a brief moment or two today when you get home and shut yourself off from friends, family and the TV. Just sit and think about all the memories this White Sox team has given us this year. How fun it was...
April 4th - Mark Buehrle shuts down the Indians on Opening Day.
April 5th - Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye go back-to-back in the bottom of the 9th inning of the second game of the year, erasing a 3-0 deficit.
April 16th - Buehrle shuts down the Mariners in an hour and 39 minutes.
April 25th - Jon Garland's 4-hit shutout in the first game of the series at Oakland.
May 1st - Jon Garland's second consecutive 4-hit shutout, this one at home against the Tigers.
May 12th - Jon Garland becomes the first 7-game winner with a strong 8 inning performance against the first place Orioles, capped off with a great 3-2 change-up to strike out Miguel Tejada.
May 21st - Down 1-0 in the 8th, the Sox put up a 4-spot capped off by a Carl Everett double to defeat the sCrUBS.
May 31st - Frank returns to the team and Timo's walkoff single caps off an incredible game.
June 12th - Aaron Rowand hits a 3-run HR in the 10th inning at Petco Park.
June 15th - The Sox trail 6-2 in the 6th inning against the D'backs, then put up a 10-spot in the 6th inning.
June 18th - A.J. hits a walkoff 2-run homer against the Dodgers to cap off a 4-run rally in the bottom of the 9th.
June 28th - Hermanson allows a leadoff triple to Ivan Rodriguez in the bottom of the 9th in a 1-run game, then strands him right there.
July 5th - Fran hits a 3-run HR in the 8th inning to give the Sox a 6-4 win over Tampa.
July 14th - Jose Contreras starts off the second half in nearly the same way Mark Buehrle started off the first half - by helping shut out the Indians.
July 30th - A.J. Pierzynski hits a 3-run HR in the 8th inning at Baltimore to turn a 2-run deficit into a 1-run lead.
August 9th - Jose Contreras continues to establish himself by pitching 7 innings of shutout baseball against his former team, thanks in part to the highlight reel catches made by Aaron Rowand all series long.
August 25th - After a great slide into third base by Geoff Blum, Timo Perez singles in the 10th inning to give the Sox a 1-run win in Minnesota.
August 30th - Brandon McCarthy pitches 7 2/3 innings of shutout baseball against the Rangers to give the Sox a split of a doubleheader.
September 4th - Jon Garland pitches his 3rd 4-hit complete game shutout of the year against the Tigers.
September 20th - Joe Crede hits a walkoff homer against the Indians in the 10th inning.
September 29th - The Sox clinch the AL Central and begin a wild ride that eventually leads to the team becoming World Series champions.

It was one hell of a ride, Sox fans. We've witnessed something that generations of fans never experienced. Cherish this. Like Keller said, even if we win the World Series again next year it will never be like this again.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-05106soxkeller,1,5883663.story)

antitwins13
10-27-2005, 04:38 PM
nice thread!

credefan24
10-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Fantastic. Brought a tear to my eye.

My favorite regular season memory was June 19th, Father's Day. I took my dad to the Sox/Dodgers Sunday night game. Jose was pitching. While we have gone to so many games together, I will remember the two of us sitting down before the game, eating hot dogs, filling out the lineup card and talking about this magical season, life, and everything in between as the evening sun reflected across the field. Truely a great season, one I will never forget.

Does anybody else have a favorite regular season memory?

cheeses_h_rice
10-27-2005, 04:45 PM

AJ's game-winning home run against the Dodgers, hands down. What a perfect night.

wdelaney72
10-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Fantastic. Brought a tear to my eye.

My favorite regular season memory was June 19th, Father's Day. I took my dad to the Sox/Dodgers Sunday night game. Jose was pitching. While we have gone to so many games together, I will remember the two of us sitting down before the game, eating hot dogs, filling out the lineup card and talking about this magical season, life, and everything in between as the evening sun reflected across the field. Truely a great season, one I will never forget.

I put together a 10-guy outing for the Friday night game against Wakefield and the Red Sox. We had a decisive victory and just an amazing night out at the old ballpark.

voodoochile
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM

I have a special place in my heart for the KC game early in the year when the Royals loaded the bases with no one out in the bottom of the ninth and the score tied and the Sox then had a passed ball and they still won the game...

Hendu
10-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Well, besides the obvious choices...AJ's walk-off against the Dodgers, Crede's walk-off against the Tribe, I'd have to say it was May 12th against the Orioles before the O's took a nose dive. 8th inning, Orioles with runners in scoring position, threatening to tie the game or take the lead. Tejada at bat with a 3-2 count and Garland throws a great change-up to strike him out.

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
September 20th - Joe Crede hits a walkoff homer against the Indians in the 10th inning.

I have to finally admit that this is the one game that made me lose hope.

It was in right in the middle of the horrible slide the Sox couldn’t seem to pull themselves out of and they were clinging to a 2.5 game lead at the time.

I was sitting on my couch watching the game. The Indians took an early lead and I remember changing the channel and just dropping the remote out of my hand. That was the first and only time that I thought to myself: “these guys are done.” I figured for sure that they would lose the game, drop out of first and miss the playoffs completely. I had officially become a dark cloud. :(:

Instead of watching the game I put in a rented movie and watched it with my wife. When it was over I flipped back hoping to catch the score and see how bad it was. When I turned it on Crede was at the plate. My wife (who for some reason seems to be a jinx to Crede) said “Oh great. Here’s an out.”

Creded blasted the game-winner and I just sat there dumbfounded. I looked over to my wife and said “Crede just won the game.”

The dark cloud was lifted and even though they managed to lose the next two games, I somehow managed to keep the faith. The rest is history. :D:

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 05:05 PM

AJ doing the Boone-walk.

:)

Ol' No. 2
10-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Opening day. I ditched work, my son ditched school and we had a great day together. We tailgated before the game with some other WSI'ers on an absolutely GORGEOUS spring day. We scarcely had time for a hot dog and drink because Buehrle threw one of his patented 2 hr gems. And the Sox were in first place, never to relinquish it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I put together a 10-guy outing for the Friday night game against Wakefield and the Red Sox. We had a decisive victory and just an amazing night out at the old ballpark.
Was at the same game...great crowd, great game...and there was a weird chill in the air...like an October night. I swear, I said that to my wife and some friends we were with, and my buddy commented..."it's October of 1959". To think of it now, after you posted, gives me chills.
God, I love the White Sox.

Chicago
10-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Favorite moment that the Sox gave me was that final out... NEVER have I EVER been that excited in my life. + the celebrating around the park afterwards...

another great memory was when Buerhle came out on the field and asked the crowd to get Scottie in the Allstar Game... Just showed the kind of team we had...THE BEST.

Fuller_Schettman
10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
The only game I got to attend, July 2 in Oakland.
Garland pitches the Sox to victory and my daughter gets a game ball from Paulie! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53352&highlight=alina)

robiwho
10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
AJ's game-winning home run against the Dodgers, hands down. What a perfect night.

Absolutely! This game will be always be my second-favorite 2005 White Sox memory!

The_Floridian
10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Buehrle's 99 minute game. My wife and I and a bunch of friends paid for great seats and were kind of stunned when it ended before it began. So we just hung out by the homeplate of Old Comiskey and told stories of our favorite Sox memories of the past. Three of us had been at the Andy Hawkins no-hit loss game in 1990 when we were kids.

There was also a game against Detroit (can't remember which one) where some Army guys who had free tickets they weren't using handed them to one person in our crew. 8 tickets. There were 8 of us. Perfect. We all sat in the bleachers for free.

That Baltimore game where Garland stuck out Tejada with the 3-2 changeup.

Memories from games I wasn't at:

Ozuna stealing home. AJ's walk-off. The Cleveland game complete with Boonewalk and Crede walk-off.

And the entire post-season. What a wonderful, wonderful season. I've never enjoyed a baseball season so much.

:supernana:

ode to veeck
10-27-2005, 07:51 PM
The only game I got to attend, July 2 in Oakland.
Garland pitches the Sox to victory and my daughter gets a game ball from Paulie! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53352&highlight=alina)

That's the only game we've seen them win in Oakland in many personal visits to the Colleseum since '00. It was a pleasant change from the other 12 that sucked the big one.

SoxSpeed22
10-27-2005, 07:56 PM
One of my favorite memories, besides the obvious one, was voting Pods into the All-Star game. That brought the Sox Army together and the fact that the whole team rallied round Pods getting in, I knew this was a special team. And JJav is dead on, even if we win 40 more titles, not one of them will be sweeter than this one.

miker
10-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Much like the "Who is our MVP" discussion, I would have to say that there were so many great moments this season, I can't really say any particular one was greater than another.

TheOldRoman
10-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Opening day. I ditched work, my son ditched school and we had a great day together. We tailgated before the game with some other WSI'ers on an absolutely GORGEOUS spring day. We scarcely had time for a hot dog and drink because Buehrle threw one of his patented 2 hr gems. And the Sox were in first place, never to relinquish it.
I went also, and opening day was really special for me. April 4 was the day of the college basketball national championship game. I am an alumnus of Illinois, and that was a huge night for me. I went to opening day (the first I had gone to) and it was absolutely amazing. I intend to go to every opening day for the rest of my life. It was a truly unbelievable feeling. The weather was perfect, the place was packed, and there was magic in the air. I really felt like this was the start of something special (of couse, hope springs eternal on opening day).
After Buehrle's gem, I went home to watch the Illini. It was a heartbreaking loss, but the day was not all bad. I said to myself "the lord giveth, the lord taketh away". I honestly believed that this team was going to be special. I felt that while I came just short of celebration the ultimate victory with the Illini, I would have a great chance with the Sox. I am not going to say I knew it would end like this, but I knew on that opening day that we were about to witness one of the greatest seasons in Sox history.

faneidde
10-27-2005, 09:19 PM
I didn't get to any games this year with changing jobs during the summer and not having much money, so I can't pick a favorite there. I gotta go with the bombs off Wickman game. That was pretty awesome. AJ against the Dodgers is number 2, Crede against the Indians 3, and then the clincher in Detroit. So many great moments from a once in a lifetime team.

supertwangreverb
10-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Last game of the regular season, after an hour rain delay, just prior to the first pitch, there was a montage shown from the 2005 season. I was sitting on the thirdbase side, and infront of us were Konerko, Dye, Crede, maybe A.J and a few others all watching this clip as well as everyone else in the stands. I started getting goosebumps watching all the clips and hearing the clips of Hawk, DJ, Rooney, and Farmer. By the end I was in tears, first time I had let my emotions get the better of me at a game since the first one back after my dad died. I had gone from being really upset the weak before with the way they were sliding, to feeling like this team was going to go all the way. Strangest feeling I've had at a ball park.

whitesoxwilkes
10-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I got lucky in that I was at almost every game where something "awesome" happned--AJ's walkoff, Timo's clutch hit, Opening Day, back-to-back-to-back jacks against Randy Johnson. The only "big game" I missed was Crede's walkoff against the Tribe.

Miker brought up an excellent point...it's kind of like picking an MVP. You really can't do it.

All I know is that I walked around downtown today with my Uribe-worn road jacket and a big goofy grin on my face, making sure to high-five anyone else in Sox gear.

FedEx227
10-27-2005, 10:34 PM

I can't really sum it down to one but I'd say AJ's walkoff, Crede's walkoff (i was there WOO), and voting Pods into the All-Star game, the reason that was so great because it felt like we had defeated the giants of the media we took out Derek Jeter by our support, it was just a happy moment.

Reminds me of 83
10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, besides the obvious choices...AJ's walk-off against the Dodgers, Crede's walk-off against the Tribe, I'd have to say it was May 12th against the Orioles before the O's took a nose dive. 8th inning, Orioles with runners in scoring position, threatening to tie the game or take the lead. Tejada at bat with a 3-2 count and Garland throws a great change-up to strike him out.

I was at that game. It was at that point that I started to realize that this was a new version of Garland and that this team was pretty special. A great night.

Jurr
10-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Oh man....what a season of memories. We all put our hearts into this season. I've been so crazy over this thing, I can't believe it's over. Exhausting and great.

There have been too many great memories to keep track of. Too many. I am very happy to have been able to share this season and past seasons with you guys. Thanks for an awesome ride, and I can't wait to start yelling with you guys about the Hot Stove months.

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm really grateful that Frank had a chance to get in there and contribute a little before getting injured again. Every single home run he hit was exciting to me, as I really want to see him hit #500 in a White Sox uniform. He hit 12 this year IIRC, and he really didn't play in all that many games.

puresox
10-27-2005, 10:50 PM
this is not against espn 1000, but why is that G.AY cubs fan announcer continue to voice his opinion. He is nothing to me and probably every other SOX fan. He should go get the A.N.A.L Lube for the rest of the cubs fans and go play with them selves. GO SOX

Brian26
10-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I feel lucky that I had a chance to see some of these games in person:

April 4th - Mark Buehrle shuts down the Indians on Opening Day.

April 16th - Buehrle shuts down the Mariners in an hour and 39 minutes.

May 1st - Jon Garland's second consecutive 4-hit shutout, this one at home against the Tigers.

May 31st - Frank returns to the team and Timo's walkoff single caps off an incredible game.

July 5th - Frank hits a 3-run HR in the 8th inning to give the Sox a 6-4 win over Tampa.

September 29th - The Sox clinch the AL Central and begin a wild ride that eventually leads to the team becoming World Series champions.

FarWestChicago
10-28-2005, 12:38 AM
June 18th - A.J. hits a walkoff 2-run homer against the Dodgers to cap off a 4-run rally in the bottom of the 9th.
AJ's game-winning home run against the Dodgers, hands down. What a perfect night.That was the night Michelle and I got married. Needless to say, it's my favorite. :moonwalk: