PDA

View Full Version : You suck!

OutcastRadio
10-27-2005, 02:47 PM
OK, I'm only kidding. You don't suck. Congratulations to you and your team.

I wanted to stop by and say hello to all my old friends in here...voodoochile, randar, iwritecode, PHG.....and all the rest who I may have missed (you know who you are, everyone). Congrats to all of you.

Here's hoping the Cubs fans are crying in their stale beers tonight, and enjoy your championship. You earned it.

Outcastradio (aka your favorite Tribe fan)

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Good to see ya back again.

Congrats on taking sole possesion of the second-longest WS drought. :D:

OutcastRadio
10-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Good to see ya back again.

Congrats on taking sole possesion of the second-longest WS drought. :D:

Glad to be back. It would have been classless of me to not congratulate you. Classlessness and Tribe fans just don't mix. OK, well they do...but not with me.

Are we really 2nd-longest now?

Damn.

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Glad to be back. It would have been classless of me to not congratulate you. Classlessness and Tribe fans just don't mix. OK, well they do...but not with me.

Are we really 2nd-longest now?

Damn.

Updated list:

Chicago Cubs 1908
Cleveland 1948
San Francisco 1954
Texas Rangers 1961
Houston 1962
Washington 1969
Milwaukee 1969
San Diego 1969
Seattle 1977
Pittsburgh 1979
Philadelphia 1980
St. Louis 1982
Baltimore 1983
Detroit 1984
Kansas City 1985
NY Mets1986
LA Dodgers1988
Oakland 1989
Cincinnati 1990
Minnesota 1991
Toronto 1993
Colorado 1993
Atlanta 1995
Tampa Bay 1998
NY Yankees 2000
Arizona 2001
LA Angels 2002
Florida 2003
Boston 2004
White Sox 2005

The ones in red have never won a WS so that's just when they were formed. I got this from another website so don't blame me if it's not 100% correct. :wink:

cheeses_h_rice
10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
OCR, I have to tip my hat to the Jndjans for their late season surge.

Without that pressure on the White Sox for the last few weeks of the season, I'm almost positive the Sox wouldn't have done what they did in the postseason. The Tribe made them battle-tested for the pressure.

So, thanks for a great effort from your boys.

Foulke You
10-27-2005, 03:13 PM

Without that pressure on the White Sox for the last few weeks of the season, I'm almost positive the Sox wouldn't have done what they did in the postseason. The Tribe made them battle-tested for the pressure.

Agreed. Without playing meaningful, pressure packed baseball in the last few weeks of the season, I don't see our boys playing as well as they did in October.

voodoochile
10-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I think you mean "it does not suck to be you", but why quibble over a few randomly scattered words...:wink:

Actually I think it's been since the early 60's or even longer since ANY professional sports franchise from Clevleland won the ultimate championship in their given sport.

Well, some (snicker) indoor soccer team did it a few years ago, but I mean really... indoor soccer? (snicker)

At least Chicago had the Bears and Bulls to fall back on these past few decades.

er... I mean...

Thanks OCR... and please disregard those randomly scattered words between the opening paragraph and this one...:D:

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Updated list:
San Francisco 1954This just jumps out at me. They were still the New York Giants in 1954.

Flight #24
10-27-2005, 03:37 PM
I think you mean "it does not suck to be you", but why quibble over a few randomly scattered words...:wink:

Actually I think it's been since the early 60's or even longer since ANY professional sports franchise from Clevleland won the ultimate championship in their given sport.

Well, some (snicker) indoor soccer team did it a few years ago, but I mean really... indoor soccer? (snicker)

At least Chicago had the Bears and Bulls to fall back on these past few decades.

er... I mean...

Thanks OCR... and please disregard those randomly scattered words between the opening paragraph and this one...:D:

Hey Voodoo - you need to update that sig....4 more 'nanas required!

2005WorldChamps
10-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Updated list:

Chicago Cubs 1908
Cleveland 1948
San Francisco 1954
Texas Rangers 1961
Houston 1962
Washington 1969
Milwaukee 1969
San Diego 1969
Seattle 1977
Pittsburgh 1979
Philadelphia 1980
St. Louis 1982
Baltimore 1983
Detroit 1984
Kansas City 1985
NY Mets1986
LA Dodgers1988
Oakland 1989
Cincinnati 1990
Minnesota 1991
Toronto 1993
Colorado 1993
Atlanta 1995
Tampa Bay 1998
NY Yankees 2000
Arizona 2001
LA Angels 2002
Florida 2003
Boston 2004
White Sox 2005

The ones in red have never won a WS so that's just when they were formed. I got this from another website so don't blame me if it's not 100% correct. :wink:

I got kind of thrown off by the fact that Washington used to be Montreal, and that Texas used to be Washington.

voodoochile
10-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Hey Voodoo - you need to update that sig....4 more 'nanas required!

Too many images, I'm not taking down Frank until I get an updated seies one and that may take some time. Besides, I was in violation of the size restrictions, so I wanted to make it legal.

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 03:47 PM
This just jumps out at me. They were still the New York Giants in 1954.

Yea and in 1969 the Washington Nationals were the Expos.

Same team I guess. It just shows they haven't won a WS since they've moved...

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah, since they list the Texas Rangers as 1961 (the beginning of the second incarnation of the Senators who then moved to Texas) it is apparent that they are just listing the name of the current team and how far back since they and their predecessors have won it.

HotelWhiteSox
10-27-2005, 03:56 PM

Also, some experience of playoff atmospheres, opposing sold out crowds, and more 1 run games with the opposing team's season on the line, sure as hell didn't hurt

It will definately be a fun and close race for years to come

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
If it's any consolation to you Outcast, you should know Cleveland was clearly a better playoff contender than at least two of the teams the Sox beat en route to the championship.

I would rank them this way (toughest to easiest)...

1. Anaheim
2. Cleveland
3. Boston
4. Houston

Those last 2 weeks in September battling Cleveland were as intense as anything over the past 3 weeks in October. The fact the Sox weren't playing the Tribe head-to-head probably made the pressure seem even greater: there were twice as many innings to sweat through daily.

The turning point for both teams was Sunday, September 25. Buehrle went the distance to finish off the sweep of Minnesota at Sox Park but Cleveland loses to KC in the ninth inning on that pop-fly error. The lead was back up to 2.5 games and the Sox never looked back -- right through last night. Once the Sox clinched in Detroit the afterburners really kicked in. It was like the weight of the world was lifted off their shoulders. All that pressure came from Cleveland's phenomenal stretch run.

But don't worry, Outcast. The national media will make Cleveland favorites to win the division in 2006. Just like 2005.

:wink:

Realist
10-27-2005, 04:42 PM
We owe much thanks to Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit for the Sox success. The American League Central had the best pitching in baseball and playing so many games against teams with great pitching prepared us the Angels and Astros great pitching.

If the Indians would have made it instead of us, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if they had won it all.

The American League Central: The Best Division In Baseball

OutcastRadio
10-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks everybody.

I have one other consolation to look back on.

Minnesota finished third.

miker
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I can see why the Indians (and their fans) are disappointed that their great surge didn't result in a playoff appearance, but if I was in their shoes, I wouldn't hang my head too long. Good young team, could be better next year.

As a Sox fan, the Indians pressure helped the Sox get out of the late season funk and it springboarded the Sox into total post-season domination.

The_Floridian
10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Here's to a heck of a race for the Central crown in '06.

Here's lookin' at you, Cleveland. :gulp:

soxfan1965
10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Updated list:
Chicago Cubs 1908

My friend and I were discussing the probability of the Cub's reaching the dubious 100th anniversary in 3 years -- 2008. I try not to be anti-Cub, but what disturbed me is that this was the lowest rated TV World Series ever. Part of that was caused by many Chicago people not turning in. I wonder who those were???? With a few (maybe one) more Sox championships, combined with the 100th anniversary happening, maybe some current and future Cub fans will go to Wrigley only if they win. Slowly this can be a Sox town again. But for now, who cares what Cub fans and non-Sox-fans think, this is for the long-suffering true Sox fans. Enjoy! (by the way, I'm surprised Joe Buck wasn't more positive on the Sox--maybe he was afraid of Big Bad Leroy Brown on the south side of Chicago!)

DSpivack
10-27-2005, 11:43 PM
My friend and I were discussing the probability of the Cub's reaching the dubious 100th anniversary in 3 years -- 2008. I try not to be anti-Cub, but what disturbed me is that this was the lowest rated TV World Series ever. Part of that was caused by many Chicago people not turning in. I wonder who those were???? With a few (maybe one) more Sox championships, combined with the 100th anniversary happening, maybe some current and future Cub fans will go to Wrigley only if they win. Slowly this can be a Sox town again. But for now, who cares what Cub fans and non-Sox-fans think, this is for the long-suffering true Sox fans. Enjoy! (by the way, I'm surprised Joe Buck wasn't more positive on the Sox--maybe he was afraid of Big Bad Leroy Brown on the south side of Chicago!)

I wonder how true this is, as I'm sure the ratings in Chicago were huge for the series. It's the national Cubs "fans" as well as other casual watchers that would tune in to see the media darlings in the series. 2008? 2108? 2908?:rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-28-2005, 06:59 AM
The Chicago ratings were very high. It was the national numbers that were down.

Frankly this was a self-fulfilling prophecy. The national media ignored the White Sox for six full months. The only Sox storyline they ever followed was the historic "choke of September", historic because it's the first time the term "choke" was ever applied to a team that played over .500.
:nuts:

So now that the Sox have beaten everyone in the league and been crowned champions, the story of the 2005 Sox is a complete mystery to the average fan. They didn't watch the World Series for the same reason they didn't know the Sox won 99 games, nor how they won baseball's toughest division by 6 games, or how they did so running in front for 6 straight months. And now the mediots who possess at least a sliver of integrity are falling over themselves to admit they missed the story.