PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's place in Sox history

antitwins13
10-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Now that Ozzie has won his World Series title where does that put him in Sox history with the great managers. As for me I think he's surpassed Al Lopez as the greatest Sox manager in history.

mrfourni
10-27-2005, 03:23 PM
How many more years will he have to stay, and how much more success would he have to have in order to get his # retired.

BNLSox
10-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Due to the fact that he was already a franchise favorite as a player and in his second season at the helm took the division, the division series, the pennant, and the world championship, he has to be considered the greatest of all time.

In the world of a 30 team league with several playoff rounds it is that much harder to get to the promised land. Ozzie did it his second season.

doublem23
10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
He is in elite company; only two other managers have lead the Sox to World titles, Pants Rowland in 1917 and Fielder Jones in 1906. I would say he's the best in franchise history right now, but if he leads the Sox to the postseason again, then it would be unquestioned; only manager to ever lead the Sox to October twice. Personally, I think the only other guy you can really make an argument for is Al Lopez, who headed the ship during those great '50s years, one of the real high points in this franchises' existence.

hawkjt
He is now the Dikta of the White Sox. Never buy another drink in this town. Thanks Oz.

Ol' No. 2
How many more years will he have to stay, and how much more success would he have to have in order to get his # retired.:o::o::o:

The guy just did what no manager has been able to do since Pants Rowland. You can retire his number and start on the statue tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

Unregistered
10-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Last night on the radio, Dolgin and Levine were talking about where in the Cell his bronze statue is going to go. That should tell you something. :cool:

Sxy Mofo
10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
He is now the Dikta of the White Sox. Never buy another drink in this town. Thanks Oz.

This town is going to go poor giving free food and drinks for life to the guys on this team who deserve it.

lukesappling
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Are you kidding? Of course this puts Ozzie in the pantheon of White Sox greats. In fact, he's at the top!

tlebar318
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
funny how fate plays a role....If we never trade Lamar Hoyt to San Diego perhaps Ozzie never plays for the Sox and therefore never manages us to the promised land...So in a way, Lamar Hoyt had something to do with this too! :tongue:

downstairs
10-27-2005, 03:35 PM
I think he is just slightly under Ditka, but no one else.

In terms of Chicago history.... I'd say The Daleys, Ditka, Guillen :cool:

Cooter
10-27-2005, 03:35 PM

I hope not.

I loved Iron Mike, but after the Superbowl, his head got fat, and he thought he was the "Second Coming"

I hope that will never happen to Ozzie.

Chicago
10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Put his pick on the left center wall, get the bronze statue ready, rename the Park... from the Cell to the OZ... just keep him and the rest of the team together.

yes reply #13 :D:

Fuller_Schettman
10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
funny how fate plays a role....If we never trade Lamar Hoyt to San Diego perhaps Ozzie never plays for the Sox and therefore never manages us to the promised land...So in a way, Lamar Hoyt had something to do with this too! :tongue:

So we need to thank...Buzzy Bavasi????

TheOldRoman
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
:o::o::o:

The guy just did what no manager has been able to do since Pants Rowland. You can retire his number and start on the statue tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.
Do you think the statue should have him fielding grounders at SS or gawking at girls from the bench?

Layla
10-27-2005, 05:31 PM

I thought of that too.

So, a big thanks to LaMarr Hoyt.:D: