PDA

View Full Version : "Jungle" Jim Rivera speaks

thechico
10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
And I thought I was the only Sox fan here in the Summit City.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/13002113.htm

Thanks and Go Sox!

JoeyCora28
10-27-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm happy those guys from the '59 team were able to get together for Games 1 & 2 of the WS. What a great place for a reunion!!

Southsider101
10-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I was nine years old in 1959 and Jungle Jim was my favorite Sox player. It's great to see those guys getting their props.

miker
10-27-2005, 07:09 PM
When Dad talks about his favorite Sox players, "Jungle" Jim is always mentioned. This World Championship goes to Rivera and the rest of the Sox that didn't make it.

Lillian
10-27-2005, 07:28 PM
He was a real character. I remember when I was a child, seeing him interviewed after a Sox victory in which his base running had been instrumental. It was on WGN, and the interviewer may have been Jack Brickhouse, but whoever it was, was asking him about his technique of sliding head first. It wasn't a very common practice back in those days. Anyway, the commentator asked him about the danger of sliding that way, calling attention to the risk of getting his head stepped on by the infielder who took the throw. "Jungle Jim" replied; "Well, if I slide feet first, he might step on my legs, and I need them to play my game. Hell, I'm not too bright anyhow, so getting my brains kicked in wouldn't be that much of loss for me".
I'm sure that I don't have the exact quote right, but you get the idea. I was just a kid, and I thought that it was hilarious. He also had a reputation for being quite a womanizer. He was a real character, and a fan favorite.

Southsider101
10-27-2005, 07:37 PM
He was a real character. I remember when I was a child, seeing him interviewed after a Sox victory in which his base running had been instrumental. It was on WGN, and the interviewer may have been Jack Brickhouse, but whoever it was, was asking him about his technique of sliding head first. It wasn't a very common practice back in those days. Anyway, the commentator asked him about the danger of sliding that way, calling attention to the risk of getting his head stepped on by the infielder who took the throw. "Jungle Jim" replied; "Well, if I slide feet first, he might step on my legs, and I need them to play my game. Hell, I'm not too bright anyhow, so getting my brains kicked in wouldn't be that much of loss for me".
I'm sure that I don't have the exact quote right, but you get the idea. I was just a kid, and I thought that it was hilarious. He also had a reputation for being quite a womanizer. He was a real character, and a fan favorite.

WONDERFUL! That's the way I remember the guy! :supernana: