PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Let's Repeat Thread

Georgey3085
10-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Alright its good that we won and that we're celebrating, but now that we've FINALLY got a championship under our belt, lets get ready for 2006...we had WAYYY too much fun this year and I want it again...what do you guys think is the most important thing the sox need to do to repeat?

My thinking is resign Paulee, either find a way to deal with Crede and his stupid agent or find another 3rd basemen...lets get this going guys, I want a repeat! :supernana:

Madvora
10-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Get rid of Marte.

Georgey3085
10-27-2005, 01:17 PM
That is true, I forgot about that one...I think Vizcaino needs to be looked at too

1951Campbell
10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
It will be verrrry interesting to see by how much JR raises payroll.

DenverSock
10-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Get rid of Marte or get him a Psychiatrist. Sign Paulie! I do think we need to keep Crede who will start getting Gold Gloves now that he's had National Attention.

Keep the Rotation as intact as possible and integrate BMac. Maybe keep El Duque as a Middle Reliever.

Knucksie
10-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I think they can do the following...

1) Sign Paulie

2) Timo is replaced by Brian Anderson

3) Hernandez gets axed and is replaced by McCarthy

4) Find another lefty in the pen to contend for Marte's spot.

5) I know they won it this year, but I sure would like to see another bat in the line up. They should keep the position players in place because the D is great, but I'm thinking they need an upgrade at DH. Frank if he's healthy, or it could be someone else.

6) Replacement for Blum, who I believe is a FA. The Blum, Ozuna, Harris combo needs to be settled, although they each have their value.

7) While I'm not displeased with the role Widger filled, they will probably look to groom a young catcher.

downstairs
10-27-2005, 01:30 PM
It will be verrrry interesting to see by how much JR raises payroll.

I don't know if there is a need?

Paulie is the important one...

But this team WON THE WORLD SERIES the season after getting rid of Magglio and Lee. As well we lost Frank for 80% of the season.

Just keep the same plan working... who cares about money.

tacosalbarojas
10-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Re-sign AJ!

DenverSock
10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Re-sign AJ!

I didn't know AJ needed to re-signed.

tacosalbarojas
10-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I didn't know AJ needed to re-signed.I thought he only got a 1-yr. deal?

Flight #24
10-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought he only got a 1-yr. deal?

He did, but he's arbitration eligible, so at worst, they can keep him on a 1-yr arb deal. Same with Garland. The only true FA of any magnitude is Konerko.

munchman33
10-27-2005, 01:48 PM
As I said in a previous thread, minimum 8-peat.

BNLSox
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
I think we need to keep El Duque and McCarthy. I think you free up the roster spot by dumping Marte or Hermanson.

Obviously resigning Paul is a huge part of the picture and going out and getting a really great DH who can either play outfield or 1st would be key. There are no assurances with Frank and back ups are essential.

I love how Widger handled back up duties but it may be time to groom a catcher. Casanova is no youngster...anything promising in the minors for catcher?

Last but not least its time to move Rowand to 2nd and Gooch down in the order.

I'm thinking:

1.Pods
2.Rowand
3.New DH/Frank
4.Konerko
5.Dye
6.AJ
7.Crede
8.Gooch
9.Uribe

Starters:
Buerhle
Contreras
Garcia
Garland
McCarthy

Bullpen:
Cotts
Politte
Hernandez
Viz
Jenks
New Lefty

Backups:
Harris
Ozuna
Perez
Widger
Anderson

GregoryEtc
10-27-2005, 01:54 PM
He did, but he's arbitration eligible, so at worst, they can keep him on a 1-yr arb deal. Same with Garland. The only true FA of any magnitude is Konerko.

Lock AJ up long term. Sign Paulie to a 5-yr deal at least.

Expect payroll to go up with the new playoff and merchandising revenue $$$ rolling in.

Jayhawk73
10-27-2005, 01:58 PM
OKay, I'm pretty sure that A.J. was signed for just one year. In my humble opinion, resigning him is just as important as resigning Paulie.

Apart from Blum, Everette and Thomas, and A.J. who else is "free" and hence might not be on the team next year? Probably Harris, Ozuna, and Timo? Any of the relievers?

If I'm the GM, I first sign A.J. If I can sign Paulie for about 50 for 4 years or maybe 62 for five I probably would do it. But let's be realistic, he probably will test the market, and I think he'll get offers that the Sox may be reluctant to match, and perhaps rightly so. The thing is, one never knows. After all, what if Magglio had said yes to the $14 mil offer??!!! Instead we have Dye for $5 mil, and get a better player (this year, at any rate), not to mention the chemistry stuff.

If Frank is healthy, I would gladly take the risk and sign him for, say, $5-6 mil

I would keep El Duque. McCarthy will get plenty of starts in any case. I think El Duque will be fine in spot starts and as a reliever extraordinaire.

We have Owens, Anderson, Rogo, and Young, and presumably at least one of these will be promoted.

I think Ozuna is a keeper. Ditto Harris (but also could be used in a trade to help obtain a replacement for Konerko if he leaves).

Sign Crede to a longer term contract if needed.

If Konerko departs, his offense must be replaced. Any suggestions? Let Gload and Rogo compete with an FA signee. Whomever it might be, let it be someone with speed as well as power. Maybe Rogo??????

What about Everett? I would keep him unless we get someone better (always factoring in the moon, dinasours and chemistry).

I do all this in the spirit of let's keep this rolling FOREVER!!! Thankgoodness Kenny is the GM and Ozzie the manager!

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Re-sign Paulie - find a LH bat - either move El Duque to a reliever role and dump Marte or dump El Duque AND Marte, move BMac up and go after Oswalt - re-sign Frank in a limited DH role so he retires in that uni - lock AJ in for two more years - moce Anderson and Blum into a more revolving sub role...

Fake Chet Lemon
10-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Add a strong left handed stick.

zach074
10-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Put Orlando in the pen, sign A.J. and Konerko, and keep this team together.

DenverSock
10-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Put Orlando in the pen, sign A.J. and Konerko, and keep this team together.

Didn't I say that! Great minds think alike!

Argalarga
10-27-2005, 02:10 PM
My gut tells me Paulie stays (provided JR doesn't low ball him, which I can't see him doing), Duque, Crazy Carl and Marte are gone, maybe one or two reserves gone as well. Frank's contract will be sticky, since they'd be getting a lot of bad PR if they buy him out, but I don't think he's got another full year in him.

I think we keep 20-21 guys, get a new DH, a new lefty, bring BMac into the rotation full time. Other than that, work on resigning Paulie and locking up AJ and Garland.

Cambridge
10-27-2005, 02:12 PM
In order to repeat, the White Sox need to be stone-faced practical. A number of their players exceeded expectations (which is often the case with championship teams; everything needs to come together). The front office needs to take a hard look at what guys are likely to do next year, not what they did this year or they hope they do next year. Some difficult decisions lay ahead, and the front office can't afford to be sentimental or complacent.

fquaye149
10-27-2005, 02:17 PM
We need to come out of the gate hard and fast next year.

I'll say it now and I'll say it again:

Sign Jack Parkman

Jjav829
10-27-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't see why we can't repeat new year. Look at our pitchers under contract for next year...

Starters:
Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Garcia
McCarthy

Bullpen:
Jenks
Hermanson
Politte (option)
Cotts
Marte
El Duque

Marte and/or El Duque might be gone. Either way, we might have the best pitching staff in baseball next year. Add in another lefty to replace Marte and concentrate everything else on the offense.

There are really only a few moves to be made among the hitters. Iguchi, Uribe, Crede and Pierzynski all figure to be back next year. Dye will be back somewhere, be it his usual RF position or a possible switch to 1B if the Sox seriously consider that. Pods figures to be back. Rowand is the only question, though I'm guessing Kenny keeps him around. So that leaves 1B and DH up for grabs. Obviously the biggest story that we'll be following for the next few weeks is Konerko's contract situation.

We're definitely not going to see many moves made. Whereas last year Kenny went for quantity over quality, this year the moves will probably focus more on quality as we don't need to make as many moves.

DenverSock
10-27-2005, 02:28 PM
I do think we have seen the end of Frank, sad to say. :(::(:

hawkjt
10-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry Cambridge but the Sox do not have the aging hurting veterans that Boston did.

In the regular line-up each and every guy is in the 25-31 golden years of their careers cept Carl. All but Jermaine are under 30.

Yes there is always some revamping needed but this is the first championship baseball team since the mid-90's yanks who have no need to shed payroll or aging players or lots of FA's to re-sign.

The Marlins dumped payroll by trading D. Lee (big mistake).

The Angels had old salmon, expensive FA 3rd baseman, quickly aging Garrett Anderson, and suspect starting pitching.

The Red Sox had the fleeing Pedro,Lowe and aging,injured, Schilling, Foulke and stupidly let Cabrera leave.

I say that the sox will re-sign PK for 5 yr 65 in the next two weeks.

I say they re-sign Frank with an incentive laden 3 yr. deal that is fair.'

Do 3 year deals for AJ,Crede, and Garland.

Retain all but Timo and find a lefty stick to rotate with Frank and play a little.

Consider trading El Duque if the offers are good but if not retain him and let Brandon start down in the minors til needed. Never too much starting pitching.

Retain the entire bullpen. It is young cept Dustin. See what his back condition does but I am telling you - Vizzy and Marte will have big years next year as they were not overworked this year like Cliff and Neal.

Go to spring training and have competition like this year for the bottom roster spots with Pablo ,Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, the other prospects all scrutinized closely and let Oz and Kenny do their magic.

Foulke You
10-27-2005, 02:32 PM
The big question at third base is, will the real Joe Crede please stand up? Which Crede is the real one? The one who slogged through the first half of the season striking out and popping up balls left and right or the one who got hot after his wrist injury in August and became Mr. October?

While Crede is the obvious sentimental choice to return, KW should take a hard look at that position. Joe Randa will be available as a free agent and I know there are some on this site who aren't big fans of his, but he is very consistent, has a great glove, is a veteran, and knows the AL Central well. He is also more of a line drive hitter with less of an "all or nothing" swing like Crede has. Another big plus is, to my knowledge, Randa has no chronic back injuries like Crede does.

It pains me to talk about Crede this way because he is such an October hero right now. I don't envy KW this offseason. He has some tough choices to make. I'm not saying that Crede should definitely be replaced, but it is something KW should take a looksee at what's out there. Perhaps we can trade for Eric Chavez.

hose
10-27-2005, 02:35 PM
A lot depends on the health of Hermanson and Big Frank.

If Hermy's back and Frank's foot are 100% I think the Sox might concentate on re-signing Paulie and locking up Crede, Garland, and AJ to new contracts.

With McCarthy waiting in the wings the starters look solid.

Moving El Duque to the pen along with a healthy Hermanson will solidify the relief corp. Marte, Cotts, Politte, and Jenks are keepers.

Blum, Ozuna, and Widger are keepers for the bench.

Another lefthanded stick could be an option if Carl is let go. Big Hurts health will dictate a move here

Cuck the Fubs
10-27-2005, 02:38 PM
In order to repeat, the White Sox need to be stone-faced practical. A number of their players exceeded expectations (which is often the case with championship teams; everything needs to come together). The front office needs to take a hard look at what guys are likely to do next year, not what they did this year or they hope they do next year. Some difficult decisions lay ahead, and the front office can't afford to be sentimental or complacent.

Who outside of Garland exceeded expectations? I totally disagree with you...none of these guys had "career" years!

hawkjt
10-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Sorry,Foulke, you are just wrong. Crede played with two herniated discs in his back for most of the season!!!
Once he had the DL time it settled down and he was an allstar 3rd baseman the rest of the way.
He is young, under our control til 08 , and as Hawk would say'' Dont tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it!!!!'' Joe is one of those rare guys in the league, a clutch hitter. He is always a big Sept hitter also and now we know an Oct hitter. He and walk broke down the swing during the dl time and he had the short stroke working from then on. He is so confident right now ,it will spill over for him into the future.

Retain Joe Crede. Joe Randa? How old is he? Injury waiting to happen. Glove? He is no Crede.

And I agree that no one had career years cept as team players. Most can and will do even better.

Cambridge
10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Who outside of Garland exceeded expectations? I totally disagree with you...none of these guys had "career" years!

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing the team; I'm not. You don't win a WS without a lot of talent. But I think a few did (of course, it depends on your definition of "exceeded expectations").

Contreras certainly did. He dropped his ERA from 5.50 to 3.61 in going from an enigma to one of the best in the game. I don't think many people expected him to be nearly that good, including Kenny Williams.

Dustin Hermanson saved 34 games. Nobody, including Williams, Hermanson himself, Mrs. Hermanson, etc, expected that.

Cliff Politte. Enough said there.

Carl Everett had a much better season than last year, and you never know what you'll get from him.

AJ Pierzynski fit in very well and contributed to a great pitching staff (rather than alienating half of them). Not exactly his track record.

Tad Iguchi could arguably be included. Foreign players coming over here are historically no guarantee. He just as easily could have been mediocre.

Jermaine Dye, in my mind, did more than expected. Others may disagree.

Scott Podsednik hit .046 points higher than last year. No reason not to expect an improvement from him, but that's a big jump.

These are examples of guys that the front office needs to look at and decide if they'll match, or better, their performance next year. And how much will it impact the team if they don't? My original point wasn't that the team has to be overhauled, only that complacency is often a recipe for disaster.

fquaye149
10-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing the team; I'm not. You don't win a WS without a lot of talent. But I think a few did (of course, it depends on your definition of "exceeded expectations").

Contreras certainly did. He dropped his ERA from 5.50 to 3.61 in going from an enigma to one of the best in the game. I don't think many people expected him to be nearly that good, including Kenny Williams.

Dustin Hermanson saved 34 games. Nobody, including Williams, Hermanson himself, Mrs. Hermanson, etc, expected that.

Carl Everett had a much better season than last year, and you never know what you'll get from him.

AJ Pierzynski fit in very well and contributed to a great pitching staff (rather than alienating half of them). Not exactly his track record.

Tad Iguchi could arguably be included. Foreign players coming over here are historically no guarantee. He just as easily could have been mediocre.

Scott Podsednik hit .046 points higher than last year. No reason not to expect an improvement from him, but that's a big jump.

These are examples of guys that the front office needs to look at and decide if they'll match, or better, their performance next year. And how much will it impact the team if they don't? My original point wasn't that the team has to be overhauled, only that complacency is often a recipe for disaster.

It's debatable whether Contreras, Garland, Dye, Iguichi, Politte, Podsednik, exceeded expectations.

Consider this:

Contreras was in the middle of a bidding war, was one of the best pitchers in Cuba's history, etc. etc. etc. There is a reason he was one of the most highly sought after free agents in baseball history. Is one and a half down years with a ballclub with a reputation for squelching otherwise talented pitchers enough to erase positive expectation from one of the most talented pitchers in baseball?

Garland was one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. He has always been touted as on the verge of a breakout year. He is twenty-four years old now and has been in the majors for four years (right?) Why is it a surprise that a top pitching prospect who has always been a dime away from turning the corner had a good season?

Dye has always been a very solid hitter. He has been hampered by freak injuries in the past seasons, injuries unrelated to eachother and unlikely to resurface. Why is it a surprise he had a good season? In non-injury seasons his numbers have been similar to the numbers he put up this year.

Politte was at one point a closer. Why should it be a surprise he could succeed in a middle relief role?

Podsednik, two years ago, had a decent amount of lineup protection and hit well above .300 and stole a LOT of bases. Last year he had no lineup protection and stole a LOT of bases. What is ALL that surprising about his performance this year?

AJ Pierzynski was always very well liked in Minnesota and we always hated playing against him. He went to a pitcher's park in SF and played for a team renowned for its horrible clubhouse chemistry. He got called out as a cancer, largely on the strength of remarks by Brett Tomko, not exactly a clubhouse leader himself (some might even say a fingerpointer...one who had a lousy season nonetheless). AJ hit more homeruns than he ever has (probably because US Cellular is a hitter's park) but he also had a much lower BA than I expected. This is surprising, Why?

Iguchi was a crapshoot but he was a superstar in Japan. His numbers weren't overwhelming this season but he was a good defender and did well as a role player in the 2-spot in the order. Why should this surprise us about a Japanese league player?

Hermanson surpassed expectations, but beginning his career as closer in SF he put up some pretty damn decent numbers. I think you'd be surprised to see how effective he was in SF as a closer.

So basically, yes, a lot of the seasons our players had this year are surprising. But only if you're ignorant or work for ESPN (at the risk of being redudant).

If you stopped to think about our team for five minutes, you would have realized we had a damn good chance to get some damn good years.

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 04:39 PM

He finally got some confidence, quit tipping his pitches and learned to trust his catcher, work quick and throw strikes.

I'm not sure he'll be back next year with his back acting up the way it is.

What's wrong with Cliff?

Carl finally managed a season without getting hurt. Not sure what they'll do with him and Frank.

Did you ever watch the Twins play while he was there? This year was nothing new for him.

He went from a batting champion in Japan to a #2 hitter and completely re-designed his swing. He'll be fine.

He did exactly what was expected IMHO.

Like Iguchi he re-designed his swing from last year. Quit swinging for the fences so much and started looking to just put the ball in play.

hawkjt
10-27-2005, 04:39 PM
garland has matured into what he will be for the next 6+ years; a solid starter.

Contreras has one more year. he is riding a confidence and comfort zone with oz that he has never had in America.

Everett will probably be gone as he is a FA.

Pods is only 29 and has now shown that without swinging for the fences he will have a good oba.

Marte, vizzy, will be due for better years.

maurice
10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Most of the 2006 roster already is locked in or arb. eligible. The rotation is set, and the bullpen needs only minor tinkering. How many teams can say that? Great foresight, KW.

Frank should get a relatively small deal (plus his buyout) to see if he can have a more successful rehab this time around.

The big issue (obviously) is the middle of the lineup. KW needs to sign or trade for the 2 best hitters he can afford. One of them may or may not be Konerko. At this point, there are WAY too many variables to say anything more definite.

- - -

:AJ:
"A month ago, they were calling us chokers. But now they can
call us something else that starts with a C-H -- champions."

Flight #24
10-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Politte's been very good for a couple of years. No reason to think he'll decline. Same for Cotts. Jenks is only a ? in that it's unknown what happens when guys see him a couple times around and if he can maintain control & not walk guys. But with his raw stuff, the chances are very good that he can maintain or repeat.

Defensively you wouldn't expect things to chance much. Guys don't drop off suddenly, especially when they're still fairly young.

Offensively, not many guys had great seasons. Podsednik, Konerko, Dye - and none were way out of line from realistic expectations (i.e. not expectations based on statistical gobbledegook ignoring the situations guys were in). In fact, a better argument can be made IMO that guys like Crede, Uribe, Rowand are going to hit BETTER in the regular season than they did in '05. (Playoff hitting would be another issue.)

The biggest deal for '06 is going to be chemistry/drive, potential injuries, and the vagaries of the bouncing ball. But with the core being pitching and D, 2 things that aren't likely to decline, this team should contend. Get some offense and you could see another top-level contender. Get back a healthy Frank for more than 2 months and who knows how good this group can get!

PAPChiSox729
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
The biggest deal for '06 is going to be chemistry/drive, potential injuries, and the vagaries of the bouncing ball. But with the core being pitching and D, 2 things that aren't likely to decline, this team should contend. Get some offense and you could see another top-level contender. Get back a healthy Frank for more than 2 months and who knows how good this group can get!

I totally agree. Next year's team will also be very good. But even if they do go on to repeat, I doubt that their season will be as magical as this has been.

palehozenychicty
10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I agree totally, that this team could become the next AL power, if they do two or three things:

1) Sign Paulie of course to a fair value deal.

2) Get a LH stick through trade. There's no free agents out there that'll do the trick. Don't tell me about Giles, because word is he wants to stay in the NL and west of the Mississippi. And his OPS has gone down the last four years. And he's 34, and the paucity of the FA market will drive up his value beyond reason.

3)Just keep having fun. They're all in their prime years as professional players (24-30), and if they stay focused on the team, they'll keep winning.

maurice
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Don't tell me about Giles, because word is he wants to stay in the NL and west of the Mississippi.

Maybe a realistic chance at a WS ring will change his mind.

And his OPS has gone down the last four years. And he's 34, and the paucity of the FA market will drive up his value beyond reason.

Giles' OPS actually went up this year by 57 points over 2004. Cost obviously is an issue, but keep in mind that he'd essentially be taking Everett's spot.

Everett in 2005: $4 mil. salary - age 34 - .251 AVE, .311 OBP, .435 SLG, 4 SB
Giles in 2005: $8 mil. salary - age 34 - .301 AVE, .423 OBP, .483 SLG, 13 SB

That would be a tremendous improvement.

10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
As I said in a previous thread, minimum 8-peat.

This was draining, I need to sleep for a month, see you all at Hot Stove Time, the best summer/fall of my life I will admit!

veeter
10-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Fisr off sign Paulie. Then get a long term for Crede. Sox fans deserve a raised payroll. But I have to say maintain the pitching and the rest will follow.

Unregistered
10-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Lock up AJ for 3-5 years. He's our spark plug.

Re-sign Frank. (Call me sentimental, but he wants to come back.)

Keep as much status quo on this team as possible, raise payroll to do it.

Cambridge
10-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Politte's been very good for a couple of years.

Politte was very good this year. 2003/2004 combined he was 1-8, 5.00. Admittedly, he was better in 2004 than 2003, but nothing special.

SoxSpeed22
10-27-2005, 07:11 PM
As long as we maintain our battery and our rotation, this should be a good team for a while. The biggest question is Paulie, then our DH. We may also need more guys that can steal. Versitility wins.

Unregistered
10-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Scott Podsednik hit .046 points higher than last year. No reason not to expect an improvement from him, but that's a big jump.Podsednik hit .314 his rookie year, .244 last year and .290 this year. So it looks like last year was the anomaly, not this year.

Unregistered
10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Politte was very good this year. 2003/2004 combined he was 1-8, 5.00. Admittedly, he was better in 2004 than 2003, but nothing special.He had a good year this year, but even last year, despite his 4.38 ERA, he held hitters to a .208 avg, as opposed to the .181 avg this year.

These aren't astronomical career years you're digging up...

Cambridge
10-27-2005, 07:51 PM
These aren't astronomical career years you're digging up...

Which is why I made it a point to use the term "exceeded expectations" in the first place. At no point have I said anything about career years (although others have).

Impressive batting average against last season for Politte. I wasn't aware it was that good. Of course, I've been told many times by other posters here that numbers dont't matter... :whistle:

Flight #24
10-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Which is why I made it a point to use the term "exceeded expectations" in the first place. At no point have I said anything about career years (although others have).

Impressive batting average against last season for Politte. I wasn't aware it was that good. Of course, I've been told many times by other posters here that numbers dont't matter... :whistle:

Don't confuse numbers not being the be-all/end-all with them not mattering. Data can never be bad, only misused.

Bucky F. Dent
10-27-2005, 11:46 PM
I remember that when the Pistons won their championship back before the Jordan era, they released Rick Mahorn on the day of the victory parade.....so first things first, KW has to remember what Hyman Roth said "this is the business that we have chosen."

1 - Resign Paulie. I don't think this will be as hard as others think, primarily because I suspect that Big Frank is going to be retiring this offseason, so we have his $ to throw at Konerko.

2 - Bolster the Pen. Cotts, Jenks, and Politte are keepers, beyond that age, injury, and inconsistency call the rest into question.

3 - Replace El Duque in the rotation w/ McCarthy. Thanks, Orlando, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

4 - Get a big left handed stick.
5 - I'd still like to see an upgrade at your back up middle infield and outfield. Ozuna, Timo, Harris and Blum give me the willies.

jabrch
10-27-2005, 11:58 PM

Actually the deal with AJ included a guarantee that we wouldn't offer him arbitration. So he is a FA.

A. Cavatica
10-28-2005, 12:40 AM
The big question is what the payroll will be. Extra revenues from postseason games + extra merchandising + increased attendance next year + eventual increased revenues from broadcasting (when's the next chance to negotiate?) should translate to a hefty bump.

If the payroll were to stay the same, we'd have to offset raises (which obviously a lot of players have earned) with cuts. The easier cuts would be Ben Davis, Timo, Everett, El Duque, Blum. Marte and Rowand should be very valuable in trade, and we can probably replace them with rookies. Hermanson is a gamble because of his back, Thomas because of his feet. And Konerko's new contract could be just too big to swallow.

If we could afford them, I'd like to keep some of those guys. I would like to see Thomas and PK together in the lineup, but I think we need a big-time lefthanded bat. I don't know see how to fit one in except at 1B or DH, unless we trade Rowand for Griffey or Crede for Chavez or something.

As great as our bench was in the Series, I'd like to see some better depth next year. We were very lucky not to sustain many injuries.

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 12:52 AM
The big question is what the payroll will be. Extra revenues from postseason games + extra merchandising + increased attendance next year + eventual increased revenues from broadcasting (when's the next chance to negotiate?) should translate to a hefty bump.

If the payroll were to stay the same, we'd have to offset raises (which obviously a lot of players have earned) with cuts. The easier cuts would be Ben Davis, Timo, Everett, El Duque, Blum. Marte and Rowand should be very valuable in trade, and we can probably replace them with rookies. Hermanson is a gamble because of his back, Thomas because of his feet. And Konerko's new contract could be just too big to swallow.

If we could afford them, I'd like to keep some of those guys. I would like to see Thomas and PK together in the lineup, but I think we need a big-time lefthanded bat. I don't know see how to fit one in except at 1B or DH, unless we trade Rowand for Griffey or Crede for Chavez or something.

As great as our bench was in the Series, I'd like to see some better depth next year. We were very lucky not to sustain many injuries.

Tribune reported that playoff revenues were in the range of $13-18M. Conservative assessments of the impact of the extra 400k in attendance would be around $10M. So you're at $20M in revenues this year. Allowing for an expected bump in attendance next year from the title plus the ST tix bought for playoff ticket chances and you can estimate that 10-15 of that is "repeatable" for next year.

I'd guess you'll see a raise in the $10-20M range. That'll buy you Paulie, Garland, AJ, Crede, and leave some left over for depth with minimal cuts (Carl, Timo, Shingo).

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Actually the deal with AJ included a guarantee that we wouldn't offer him arbitration. So he is a FA.

Was that ever confirmed? I've heard that on these boards, but never seen it anywhere else.

Theanticub
10-28-2005, 03:07 AM
I think we need to keep El Duque and McCarthy. I think you free up the roster spot by dumping Marte or Hermanson.

Obviously resigning Paul is a huge part of the picture and going out and getting a really great DH who can either play outfield or 1st would be key. There are no assurances with Frank and back ups are essential.

I love how Widger handled back up duties but it may be time to groom a catcher. Casanova is no youngster...anything promising in the minors for catcher?

Last but not least its time to move Rowand to 2nd and Gooch down in the order.

I'm thinking:

1.Pods
2.Rowand
3.New DH/Frank
4.Konerko
5.Dye
6.AJ
7.Crede
8.Gooch
9.Uribe

Starters:
Buerhle
Contreras
Garcia
Garland
McCarthy

Bullpen:
Cotts
Politte
Hernandez
Viz
Jenks
New Lefty

Backups:
Harris
Ozuna
Perez
Widger
Anderson

Gooch bats 2nd no question about it. Its ridiculous to have him bat any other position.

OEO Magglio
10-28-2005, 03:10 AM
That's not true jab. I've heard straight from aj's mouth that we had his rights for this season.

minastirith67
10-28-2005, 03:22 AM
I remember that when the Pistons won their championship back before the Jordan era, they released Rick Mahorn on the day of the victory parade.....so first things first, KW has to remember what Hyman Roth said "this is the business that we have chosen."

1 - Resign Paulie. I don't think this will be as hard as others think, primarily because I suspect that Big Frank is going to be retiring this offseason, so we have his $ to throw at Konerko.

Frank retire? I think not. He'll be playing somewhere next season. He may be injury prone but at least he'll start out the season.

Nice quote btw, very fitting.