PDA

View Full Version : Quick Story for Dads

soxfanatlanta
10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok.

I am normally not the superstitious type; I could care less about black cats, broken mirrors, umbrellas in the house, stuff like that.

But this one has me thinking.

On October 27th 2004, my son was born during the lunar eclipse, the same night the BoSox ended their drought of 86 years. I thought that it was a really nice touch to an incredible evening, watching my son come into the world full of magic.

Throughout this whole hot summer, he wore his White Sox outfits religiously, despite my wife's complaints (3 times a week is a bit much, but he looked good).

Fast forward (I love Tivo) to last night...

Man on second, crowd going wild, Bobby Jenks breathing deep, looking for the extra foot on his fastball. My nails were gnawed off, my hands were shaking, when I decided to look at my watch.

12:01 AM EDT, October 27th

A calm rushed over me, hard to explain, but I knew what the outcome was going to be. Uribe makes a diving catch into the stands: one for the ages. Next man up, a dribbler that ultimately finds it's way into Paulie's glove with no time to spare, and the game, the series, the 88 year drought is over. I could not have scripted this ending any better.

A coincidence? Perhaps. There are hundreds of thousands of kids born world wide on that night. It still makes me wonder though. It is, at least, one hell of a story I can tell him when he gets old enough to understand what words like juju, luck, and mojo mean.

Any other dads who have a secret weapon in diapers out there? I wanna hear it.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1096/2/63/33/73/78/7/778733363203_0_ALB.jpg

Jayhawk73
10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Loved your story. Regret that I had no mojo tales; I did, however, watch the Sox win the World Series last night with my two sons, aged 24 and 19, who have grown up watching the Sox forever.

A couple of decades from now you'll be doing the same with your son!

soxfan26
10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
This one isn't quite as good, but...

My daughter was born on April 11th - the Sox have 106 wins since that day and are now world champs.

I lost the battle with my wife over adorning her in Sox gear. The only thing she has worn all season are a pair of White Sox socks. They will be immortalized in Daddy's tribute to the 2005 Sox.

I hope our children get enjoy many season like this one... :gulp: