PDA

View Full Version : Congrats from Grobber!!

Grobber33
10-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I wanted to post this here anyway,but since my own web site has been down due to Hurricane Wilma(the server is in Fla)since Monday afternoon,I thought I'd take this opportunity now.
Just got off my flight back from Houston and to all my Pals here on WSI,,,congratulations,enjoy this,it's often a once in a lifetime event. I was able to also congratulate in person last night people like Jerry Reinsdorf,Eddie Einhorn,Howard Pizer and others I've known for some 25 years,plus guys like Greg Walker and yes,,,Harold Baines who was surprisingly nailing everyone he could find with that painfull to the eyes booze. I mentioned how he was targeting everyone and his response was 'Yes,and I'm not close to being Thru yet!". Frank Thomas was another along with Herm Scneider I enjoyed chatting with in the crazyness of the clubhouse. It was a good thing I had a clean shirt to change into!!! Reminds me of when the Bulls won Titles in LA in 91 and Phoenix in 93 and I was splashed,yet I was flying back on redeyes a few hours later. Ironically,on my flight TO Houston Tuesday, Mac,Jurko and Harry were on board and on the return this morning Boers and Bernstein were on that flight. I hope everyone partied hard but SMART and will enjoy this for a long time. Again, I dont expect my favorite team to even GET to the WS in my great,great Grandkids lifetime!! Les

The photo taken last night at Minute Maid Park includes Chicago Radio reporters Mark Grote WBBM, Mike Pharen WGN, David Schuster THE SCORE, Cheryl Raye WBEZ, George Ofman THE SCORE and GROBBER. Sorry it's a bit 'foggy' but hopefully Dr Crawdad will post a better copy of it.

hose
10-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Les I hope you and some of my best friends who are also Cub fans can experience a WS Championship in the near future.

Scotty Love
10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Les,

Thanks for the kind words. Your one my favorite media guys and I hope next year it's Sox vs Scubs. (Opps I mean Cubs) Best of luck.

:cheers: :pods:

34rancher
10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks Les. I have always enjoyed reading your thoughts here and your professionalism has always been appreciated by me for a long time...you made some late night drives very entertaining. I hope you enjoyed this as much as we did, since I know that more than being a fan of any team you have always been a fan of the game. I know you appreciated the pureness in the way that the Sox won.
Night, and thanks!

HotelWhiteSox
10-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Even though you are from the other side, you have always been one of my favorite radio guys, the two sports stations in town have really gone down the ****ter. Thanks for the congrats, this is an unbelievable feeling for White Sox fans. IIRC you posted predictions before the season started and you ended up being correct in where both teams would finish in their division? Great job!

Palehose13
10-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks Les!

I was listening to Boers and Bernstein on the way home today and they did mention that they were on the flight with you back from Houston. Sounds like you had a great time! I look forward to reading about it on your site when the server is up and running again.

TornLabrum
10-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Grobber, you're a class act, and we welcome your congratulations.

That being said, I'll share with you my response to a pair of Cubs fan co-workers (husband and wife, who both know their baseball and both of whom I respect a great deal) this morning when they congratulated me. I said, "Thanks. Maybe some day I'll be congratulating you...but I doubt it." :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
10-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Grobber, thank you for sharing what you experienced with us. As far as I'm concerned, this Sox - Cubs stuff is over. We got ours. You are a friend of this site and always will be, a true professional. :thumbsup:

Daver
10-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanx Les.

You have always been a friend of the site, and in my opinion a class act.

Maximo
10-28-2005, 06:50 AM
"Ditto" on the "class act" responses, Les. You have always been a true professional and a good man.

Viva Medias B's
10-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks, Les. I wish you were back on Chicago sports radio on a regular basis (beyond your Notre Dame pre-and-post on WLS).

jdm2662
10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks Les. I hope your site comes back up soon. I've been wanting to read your thoughts all week. You are still far and away the best radio personallity out there, and I miss your shows.

wdelaney72
10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Agree with all others above. You are sorely missed on Chicago radio.

34 Inch Stick
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
It was a good thing I had a clean shirt to change into!!! .

Were they giving them out for free to the press?

Thanks Les. I know you have your ND gig but I hope we will be hearing you on a daily basis sometime soon.

Palehose13
10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Grobber, thank you for sharing what you experienced with us. As far as I'm concerned, this Sox - Cubs stuff is over. We got ours. You are a friend of this site and always will be, a true professional. :thumbsup:

West-

In regards to the Cub-Sox stuff, I agree with you. On my way home yesterday I realized that I don't care about them anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't LIKE them now, but I don't hate them or care anymore.

In my mind both clubs have waited so long for a World Championship and well, we just won the race. I hope other Sox fans are with me and will stop with all the "Cubs suck" stuff. Savor this championship and experience joy and happiness...don't spin it off as hate. I have waited 31 years for this, and other have waited longer. It is now time for people to really be SOX fans and not anti-cub fans.

Let's Go Sox! Your 2005 World Series Champions!

voodoochile
10-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey Les,
Thanks as always for posting your thoughts. You have always been welcomd here and are one of the few people to actually do a celebrity chat - which means you are always welcome here.

Sounds like you had a blast. Wish I had been there...

Grobber33
10-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey Les,
Thanks as always for posting your thoughts. You have always been welcomd here and are one of the few people to actually do a celebrity chat - which means you are always welcome here.

Sounds like you had a blast. Wish I had been there...

THANKS Voodoo and all of the rest of you here!! This has indeed been fun. I have now been to 88 World Series games in my life(beginning in 1975) and to have two of them finally in Chicago was certainly different and welcome!!! As for what was given to the media for free,,they had box lunches which I took a pass on(smart move by me!),,I bought a Texas BBQ brisket sandwich before game 4 and it was awsome!! Years ago they used to give the reporters lots of neat stuff,but they have cut back on that since the 1994 strike,but that's OK! We're there to COVER the games,not get free stuff. If they give it to us,fine,but I dont have any complaints. I am glad they all charge for meals during the regular season now since it keeps the 'freeloaders' out!!
After the rally on Friday,I had to walk across the LaSalle Street Bridge and got to chat with Mayor Daley for a couple of minutes. I told him I hoped his Dad and Mom were watching all this from above and enjoying it. He smiled big time as you can guess!
Also,,,as I said on Comcast's Chi Trib Live on Friday night,I have NO DOUBT(Hella,Hella)that Paulie will remain with the Sox. It might be touch and go,but I cant see the Sox allowing him to escape,and he WANTS to stay here. Keep the faith!! Les