PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Near Choking Up...

CaptainBallz
10-27-2005, 03:59 AM
Anybody see him at the ESPN table near choking as he explained how this diverse, international, and simply AMAZING team defines baseball and the country...

Good Form...

batmanZoSo
10-27-2005, 04:22 AM
No, but I'm about to go to bed and hopefully a replay is around the corner. Oh, happy @#$^ day!

RedRush
10-27-2005, 04:26 AM
Yes, I saw that interview with Gammons, Bowa, Reynolds, too. It was great. They also talked about how this Sox team compares to the '99 Yankees as the most dominant team for an entire season. Way cool.

mccoydp
10-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Gammons' dumb ass should be choking up for doubting this team during the season.

veeter
10-27-2005, 08:38 AM
He was very complimentary and correct. Kudos to him for stepping up. He thought the Sox were in the group of five best teams in the last 25 years. I have to agree with him.

harwar
10-27-2005, 08:43 AM
He also said that this White Sox team could play and beat any of the great teams of the past except the 98 yankees.
Karl Ravitch was saying the day before that this was one of the best and most exciting World Series hes' ever seen.Just when i start liking the guy they put him on champagne duty and stuck chris berman on the desk.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah but his east coast attitude kicks in...when they show Uribe's play into the 3rd base foul area, his assinine comment..."tonight's role of Derek Jeter played by Juan Uribe". *****....it should be..."the role of the Cannon will be played by the 4th understudy, Derek Jeter".

Knoxville Sox
10-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Gammons' dumb ass should be choking up for doubting this team during the season.

Didn't he say something to the effect that the Sox won in the playoffs because they hit more homers than their opposition? It sounded to me as if he was using the Sox win as a justification of his critique of the club over the regular season: they won only because they displayed power.

I believe the Sox won precisely because this wasn't the type of club that lived and died by the 3-run homer. This team was a throwback to clubs who could beat you on the basepaths or over-the-fence. More like the old Whitey Herzog teams than the champions for most of the last two decades.

Professor
10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
I don't have television. But when I read this thread, I stupidly went to ESPN.com to see if I could find a clip to watch. I didn't. But I did find clips of Brantley explaining that the Houston Astros just didn't play well and an article by Neel and some other guy in 'dialogue' declaring that this series was one of the three worst, ever. The elation from the victory allowed me to drop my guards against the mediots...never again!

Pulaski
10-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Anybody see him at the ESPN table near choking as he explained how this diverse, international, and simply AMAZING team defines baseball and the country...

Good Form...

He was probably choking on a chicken bone and not choking up!

SSN721
10-27-2005, 09:46 AM
I have always felt Gammons was a strong supporter of both Sox. Obviously being a Boston guy always a bigger Red Sox man then White Sox. But he has always liked the White Sox I have felt. He had picked them to win the division for the last 4 years I think minus this one and who can blame him. He kept picking them and they kept getting crushed by the Twins til this year. I think there are gys that deserve a lot more criticism then Gammons when it comes the the ESPN heads.

pythons007
10-27-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't have television. But when I read this thread, I stupidly went to ESPN.com to see if I could find a clip to watch. I didn't. But I did find clips of Brantley explaining that the Houston Astros just didn't play well and an article by Neel and some other guy in 'dialogue' declaring that this series was one of the three worst, ever. The elation from the victory allowed me to drop my guards against the mediots...never again!

Brantley is the biggest ****up in history. What a complete and total ****bag!

Fake Chet Lemon
10-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah but his east coast attitude kicks in...when they show Uribe's play into the 3rd base foul area, his assinine comment..."tonight's role of Derek Jeter played by Juan Uribe". *****....it should be..."the role of the Cannon will be played by the 4th understudy, Derek Jeter".

Oh come on, that was meant as a nice compliment. It was! I thought the same thing at the time. Jeter made a hell of a play. So did Juan.

SOXPHILE
10-27-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm one of the biggest critics of Boston Gammons, and his extremely annoying, know it all east coast bias, and obvious Red Sox love. But....I will give him credit when due. ESPN has played a clip of him, Kruk, & Reynolds at opening day, back in April at Yankee Stadium making their early World Series predictions. We all know Gammons picked the Twins and Flubs. Well, he has said that he was obviously wrong, he underestimated the White Sox, they are a good team, and basically just owned up to the error of his ways, eating his crow without complaining. So, I'll give him that. Now, Jeff Brantley on the other hand.......:angry:

Fake Chet Lemon
10-27-2005, 09:52 AM
I think there are gys that deserve a lot more criticism then Gammons when it comes the the ESPN heads.

I agree 100%, Gammons has been pretty fair.

Scotty347
10-27-2005, 09:57 AM

Absolutely. Say what you want about the beginning of the season, but he has picked the White Sox to win every playoff series - even round one over his Red Sox. I think he can appreciate a great team and what it will mean to our franchise and city.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
In the pregame show Gammons ripped Garner a new ******* over Garner's meltdown after game 3.
Hell, he was so worked up he even used the word "unconscionable..."

tstrike2000
10-27-2005, 10:26 AM

Yeah, seems like once a stroke, always a stroke.

WSoxFanForever
10-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Skip on Cold Pizza was still saying the Sox aren't that good, that they just went hot, that the Astros just got cold, blah, blah, blah. I dont' care today :wink:

On another note, on ESPN radio there was an amusing discussion about "Why are Cubs, who are losers, so fashionable in Chicago?" If I'd had the phone # I would have called in to tell them that they really don't care if their team wins or loses and that they are terrified they will get mugged and killed if they go out of their comfort zone." Since one Cub fan called in and mentioned the Biggio assault, I wanted to bring up Bartman. But nothing can get me down today :bandance:

soxfanatlanta
10-27-2005, 10:46 AM

+1, Gammons is in the Hall for reasons other than loving the BoSox; the man knows the game. I compare his emotional display to Pat Summerall's love for the Masters in golf - he always gets misty-eyed when the last man comes up on the 18th green.

Peter Gammons is good for baseball.

Brantly on the other hand - me no like him, he so mad all the time.

To hell with him.

White Sox = World Champions.

BAM!

Knoxville Sox
10-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Skip on Cold Pizza was still saying the Sox aren't that good, that they just went hot, that the Astros just got cold, blah, blah, blah. I dont' care today :wink:

On another note, on ESPN radio there was an amusing discussion about "Why are Cubs, who are losers, so fashionable in Chicago?" If I'd had the phone # I would have called in to tell them that they really don't care if their team wins or loses and that they are terrified they will get mugged and killed if they go out of their comfort zone." Since one Cub fan called in and mentioned the Biggio assault, I wanted to bring up Bartman. But nothing can get me down today :bandance:

Amusing was the Cubs fan who called in and called the Sox fans posers.

The difference is that the Sox fan cares about winning and will not give the club solace by supporting a loser full-stop. Sox management knows they've got to make an attempt to win.

The Cubs fan cares about how his tan looks in the bleachers. The product on the field is a bottom priority to sun blocker and getting your mug on WGN so your friends at the dorm can see you. In a baseball sense, they are single-celled lifeforms. They do little more than exist. Because they demand little more than oxygen and some form of food, the LL management knows they can routinely put garbage on the field and get away with it. They are not real fans. They are amoebas. This is the reason the likes of Duke and Rice will win national championships in college football before the lovable amoebas ever win it all.

Tragg
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Gammons anoys me at times (a lot) but he loves baseball and is a good guy. He certainly spoke well of us last night.

On Cowherd's show, the Houston correspondent said that baseball was delighted the Sox won, because the organization is the "good guys" - they treat their minors well, show loyalty to employees, etc.

I think Cowerd's right about why the cubs are so popular - combination of Harry, WGN and Ferris Beuller and the 1984 season at about the same time.

HotelWhiteSox
10-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Harold Reynolds said Games 1 and 2 at the Cell were some of the most electric experiences he's ever witnessed, even better than during the Yankee run, and they were all optimistic that the rest of the town will be smart and head into the right path :smile:

SweetnesSox
10-27-2005, 11:20 AM
The best was when Harold Reynolds said something to the effect of "The signs of this being a special team were there all season, we just didn't realize it." That made me feel vindicated.

hawkjt
10-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes it was exhilerating to watch all the post-game stuff but with ESPN I feel like Sally Field at the Oscars- You love us, You really love us!!!.

I really disregarded the snubs over the year from BB2Nite but I have to admit it feels great to hear them lavish the Sox with well-deserved praise.

Gammons is better than most as he does have more of a clue as to how the Sox put this season together. He also understands and loves the sox approach over the offensive ,3-run homer of recent years.

Reynolds never did admit that we can hit fastballs and struggle with off-speed stuff like Backe featured last nite. But he also did say that the sox fans were off the charts even over the Boston and NY fans at the series and theorized that the passion will spill over for years of success in Soxpark.

Bowa mainly stuck to his theme of a firey manager(like himself) such as Oz can be successful. But his old cub came out when he said it is still a cub town with the sox gaining on the outside.

Where was Kruk? He is a personal friend of Oz and figured he would be weighing in.