PDA

View Full Version : Juan Uribe....Unbelievable

knocko94
10-27-2005, 03:18 AM
Juan bleepin Uribe, I want to say that you are one hell of a shortstop. I never doubted your defense at short, seeing you play there for thirty odd games in 2004 was a breath of fresh air after the Valentin era.

The ninth inning of the WORLD SERIES WINNER for the White Sox was basically a personal highlight film for Juan. I was jumping out of my skin when I saw Juan careen into the stands, spearing that popup. Spectacular. Ending the game on a full charge, pick and throw, out by and eyelash....My God, what an ending for this season.

Juan, you the MAN!!!!!!!!!

:supernana:

Coolpapa
10-27-2005, 03:24 AM
He reminds me of Ozzie with his focus and determination. Maybe Juan will be a skipper one day.

BainesHOF
10-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I don't call him "The Magic Juan" for nothing.

johnnyg83
10-27-2005, 04:03 AM
I think he's the real MVP -- maybe shared with Crede

StockdaleForVeep
10-27-2005, 04:13 AM
As much as i hate his swing, thankyou juan

johnnyg83
10-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Best Sox IF arm ever!

Unregistered
10-27-2005, 04:19 AM
Added Uribe: "I helped win the game today and now I want to go home and be with my family. I tried to help win the game for the fans of Chicago."

You're a legend, Juan. :bandance:

jabrch
10-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Between the last two outs in the 9th and the last one in the 8th, it was an amazing illustration on how valuable a strong defensive SS is.

flo-B-flo
10-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Spectacular play in the stands!! GREAT play for the winner. I cant bolieve I'm up this early and not at work. Hangover never felt so good. Big party tonight. Jermaine!! Oh man UNBOLIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!

spawn
10-27-2005, 09:21 AM
You knew after the defensive game he had in Game 3 that he'd play flawlessly in Game 4. An impressive display.

34 Inch Stick
10-27-2005, 10:12 AM
He's always been great defensively but he also became dangerously offensively since August.

The bottom of the order suddenly becoming respectable offensive players was the key to this 19-3 run.

winitall
10-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Awesome defense throughout the playoffs, Juan! Especially in the 8th and 9th last night.

Why didn't those Astros fans go for the ball that Juan caught for the 2nd out of the 9th?? It was clearly in the stands, and wouldn't have been fan interference. I'd like to believe that in a hypothetical similar situation at the Cell, the fans in row 1 of section 146/147 would have made sure that Adam Everett didn't make that catch!!

henchmanUK
10-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Heh, my favourite catch in the stands ever - it was even better than Steve Bartman's! :D: Seriously, our defense is great and Uribe is a big part of that, that, the pitching and the clutch hitting plus great managing = THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL!!!

Bucky F. Dent
10-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Yep! After the play ended and the runner hadn't advanced (which I couldn't understand), all I could think of was "Moises, that's how you go into the stands to catch a foul ball!"

donkeylips
10-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Yep! After the play ended and the runner hadn't advanced (which I couldn't understand), all I could think of was "Moises, that's how you go into the stands to catch a foul ball!"

I was just clicking on this thread to type exactly that.

Heffalump
10-27-2005, 10:43 AM
I love you Juan !!

Fake Chet Lemon
10-27-2005, 10:48 AM
If Uribe played in the 4A league (the National League), he would be the All-Star game starter hands down. It has now become expected by us that he WILL save our hides with his glove and arm. I wonder how much of ground ball pitcher Jon Garlands season can be attributed to Uribe? I give Uribe almost as much credit as A.J.

Michelle
10-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Juan 'ass in the air' Uribe, that was incredible :D:

wilburaga
10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Does Caruso make those plays?
Does Bannister make those plays?
Does Almon make those plays?
Does Bee Bee make those plays?

Tell you the truth, I don't even think the Wizard of Ozz makes those plays.

Thank you, Juan. Welcome to the rest of my life.

W

DAllen15
10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I think he's the real MVP -- maybe shared with Crede

DITTO!!!!

kevin57
10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
It's only just and right that the Sox won in the ninth on the strength of their defense.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo many memories! :wink:

wassagstdu
10-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Two unbelievable plays in a row under the most pressure I can imagine. I think Uribe just willed that victory, would not be denied. What a performance!

mattcoz
10-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I've never seen anyone more determined to make the play than Juan in those last two outs.

tacosalbarojas
10-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Does Caruso make those plays?
Does Bannister make those plays?
Does Almon make those plays?
Does Bee Bee make those plays?

Tell you the truth, I don't even think the Wizard of Ozz makes those plays.

Thank you, Juan. Welcome to the rest of my life.

WJason Daellero anyone? Good post! Indeed welcome to the rest of all our lives as we worship down the paved gold of la Calle De Juan Uribe.

FarWestChicago
10-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Juan Uribe is an amazing player. That's all there is to it. All heart and arm. :moonwalk:

Fake Chet Lemon
10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
All heart and arm. :moonwalk:

That sounds like a grahic someone needs to create.

Cooter
10-27-2005, 02:40 PM
When I saw contact in the 9th, I was sure they were going to game 5- there was no way to field that ball and get it to Pauly on time, no way at all....

Un believeable, simply unbelieveable.

I thought the broken bat play in the 8th, and "Meet the Fans" play were enough for MVP of Game 4....

hawkjt
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Juan is like a fullback playing ss. He went into the stands like going over the goal line. He is such a rock at second on doubleplays. He is just a fireplug out there with quickness, hands,and a golden arm. WE have our ss for years to come.

Gracias, Juan.

mattcoz
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
When I saw contact in the 9th, I was sure they were going to game 5- there was no way to field that ball and get it to Pauly on time, no way at all....The second it dropped over Jenks I knew it was a hit, when he fielded the ball I knew he couldn't get it to Paulie in time, when Paulie got the ball I knew he was safe... shows you what the hell I know. :tongue:

Cooter
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Before the replay, I couldn't understand how it was an out- the original view looked like a tie at best, and I sure didn't want the Media to jump on another "lucky call"

mark2olson
10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Awesome defense throughout the playoffs, Juan! Especially in the 8th and 9th last night.

Why didn't those Astros fans go for the ball that Juan caught for the 2nd out of the 9th?? It was clearly in the stands, and wouldn't have been fan interference. I'd like to believe that in a hypothetical similar situation at the Cell, the fans in row 1 of section 146/147 would have made sure that Adam Everett didn't make that catch!!

What amazed me was the fact that he made the catch and then, in a flash, was back on his feet ready to make the play on the runner. Amazing, just amazing. Talk about hustle, Juan was the embodiment thereof last night.

ja1022
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
The second it dropped over Jenks I knew it was a hit, when he fielded the ball I knew he couldn't get it to Paulie in time, when Paulie got the ball I knew he was safe... shows you what the hell I know. :tongue:

Me too. At some point in just about every game I watch, I end up thinking to myself, "damn, that fat guy can play some short." He doesn't look like the prototypical shortstop but he's a lot of fun to watch. I also get a kick out of how he seems to invite himself to every meeting on the mound, usually as the only infielder there. Nosy bastard. What an awesome, awesome group of guys.

maurice
10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Uribe = most underrated player in baseball.

- - -

:AJ:
"A month ago, they were calling us chokers. But now they can
call us something else that starts with a C-H -- champions."

Lillian
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
How about the way he backhanded that earlier grounder, while charging toward the mound? I wonder how much of a difference there is in the total time it takes him to field a ball like that, versus the orthodox method? Whatever the net effect, it is probably less important than the speed with which he throws the ball to first. His hands are quick, and that also compensates for any of the possible flaws in his fundamentals. He is indeed fun to watch, though it took a long time for me to ever have confidence in his ability to actually make those kind of plays, with that approach. He has always looked good going to his right in the hole, because backhanding the ball is the normal approach on those balls, but it is really wierd to see a SS do that while charging the ball. You have to see him regularly over an extended period to appreciate him.

Steakpita
10-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Re: Nicknames

I lean towards Juan "The Cannon" Uribe myself. I guess that would be Juan "El Canon" Uribe in Spanish. Don't think there's a player in MLB that could leg out an infield single against that thing... best you can do is just not look awful getting mowed down.

what a series

Soxfan_25
10-27-2005, 04:53 PM
After witnessing Uribe's play all season, he may not have the bat of Valentin but his glove work makes me say.......Jose who???

bafiarocks03
10-27-2005, 04:55 PM
He is! Juanny is amazing!!!!!!

Unregistered
10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
He is! Juanny is amazing!!!!!!What are you doing in here?!? There's a Willie Harris Appreciation thread that you're neglecting! :D:

EDIT: Nevermind, you found it. :cool:

bafiarocks03
10-27-2005, 05:05 PM
What are you doing in here?!? There's a Willie Harris Appreciation thread that you're neglecting! :D:

EDIT: Nevermind, you found it. :cool:

Yes I did! GOtta give props to Juan though! i lvoe him!

Chisox353014
10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Juan 'ass in the air' Uribe, that was incredible :D:

:D:
http://a1022.g.akamai.net/f/1022/8153/5m/images.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/20178438.jpg

Love this picture. Crede's reaction is priceless. Anyone else reminded of Valentin in 2000 in Cleveland when that play happened?

Vernam
10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Love this picture. Crede's reaction is priceless. Anyone else reminded of Valentin in 2000 in Cleveland when that play happened?Oh my god, that is the best 2005 Series picture I've seen. That had to be the most exciting finish ever to a Series sweep, and it was down to Juan. He was on a mission to make up for the errors in Game 3, and he won't be a secret to the national media anymore after those last two outs. Unfrickinbelievable.

To all the people who ridicule his backhand plays, that technique lets him get rid of the ball by taking just a half step, whereas the conventional method takes a step-and-a-half or two for the shortstop to square himself and release the ball. Juan gets outs that no other shortstop in baseball gets. It's been a while since anyone innovated like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if other shortstops start experimenting with it. If they have the guts to withstand criticism the first time they make an error.

Vernam