PDA

View Full Version : The final out--your initial reaction

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2005, 01:25 AM
I was at Durbin's in Burbank on 79th..the place was absolutely packed. On the final out everyone started screaming and jumping up and down, high-fiving each other (including strangers). My brother grabbed me and gave me a huge bear hug as tears were just streaming down my face and I was yelling, "Oh my God!! I don't believe it!!" Immediately many of us ran out to 79th St waving our Sox jackets, flags, etc to honking horns and complete chaos....

It was awesome!!

EDIT: Did I mention that my throat is sore as hell?! I love it!! :bandance:

chisox56
10-27-2005, 01:27 AM
I was giving play by play to my friend over the phone and I started jumping up and down and screaming into the phone.

Sox of White
I had to make sure the ump signaled out, then I jumped and cried.

tromcoe
Yeah, that was about it for me too. Except different place and my wife and best bud.

:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2005, 01:28 AM
I didn't know what to do. I was wandering aimlessly in my family room. I couldn't sit down for the last inning, and I was just stunned when it was actually over.

I obviously have no experience on the correct reaction to this.

DaveIsHere
10-27-2005, 01:28 AM
All I have to say is that I have no idea what is going on!?!?!?!

We Won It ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D: :D: :D:

NWSox
10-27-2005, 01:29 AM
After two trips to Chicago this month (ALDS 1 and 2 and WS 1) I spent tonight at home initially with the family but then alone in the late innings. My wife left me alone until the bottom of the ninth because my anxiety makes her nervous. We watched the last three outs together, enjoyed a celebratory hug and kiss and then she pulled out the cold bottle of champagne that I had been too afraid to buy. The best champagne I ever had.

What a great year.

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2005, 01:32 AM
...then I called Czalgosz to discuss our disbelief. I really missed having him there to share it with. Poured myself a Maker's Mark and water.

Soxfan35
10-27-2005, 01:33 AM
I was at O'learys near grand and wells. I just jumped up with my my arms raised in the air yelling. amazing.

ode to veeck
10-27-2005, 01:35 AM
My son, White Sock reports he was working and took over the PA system at the resaurant to announce the Sox as World Champions, then went into the kitchen and rang the bell and yelled for 5 minutes straight. The local Strohs fans were not amused :cool:

mike squires
10-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Fatherhood has calmed me considerably. A year or two ago I would have cried. I was thrilled though. The Uribe out and the last two tough plays made it even more excciting. I high fived the wife and enjoyed the post game ffestivities. I went to pick up doughnuts for the morning aroun 1 am and on the way home shouted as loud as I could in my jeep. 32 years of pent up frustration. Finally released!

CLR01
10-27-2005, 01:40 AM
The best champagne I ever had.

What a great year.

I second that. I walked upstairs to grab a Coke to make a Rum and Coke and my brother (a card fan) had a bottle of champagne waiting for me. Not being a champagne drinker I had to fight the urge to shake it up all over the place. It was delicious.

peeonwrigley
10-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Was at Kendall's on Lincoln. When it happened one my fellow longsuffering friends grabbed me around the waist and lifted me up over the mob and I poured 2 Bud Lights on everyone I could. Best waste of $7 ever!

Then they played Steam Kiss Him Goodbye. Then Go Go White Sox. Then, to top it off, South Side Irish. Just a great environment - extremely surreal.

chaotic8512
10-27-2005, 01:46 AM
I was on the phone with my future wife... as soon as it was a confirmed out, I let out the biggest yell I have ever managed, fell on the floor... something beyond ridiculous. Everyone in Tallahassee knows my joy. And I was a big baby and had a few tears of happiness. Then I had a Corona. :D:

NowBatting19
10-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Definitely lots of hugs going around....it was awesome to share the moment with my Dad and Mom, especially my Dad after getting to go to game 1 with him. The champagne was tasty!!! 2005 Champs........YEEEES!!!!

LuvSox
10-27-2005, 01:47 AM
I'm still drinking.........

CJLove23
10-27-2005, 01:48 AM
I was standing in my living room with my mom, sweating. Then I made sure Paully got him out and screamed so loud I actually got a little light headed and thought I was going to faint! :?:

sox_fan_forever
10-27-2005, 03:05 AM
I was watching the game with two friends and my family and when they got the last out we started screaming and I was crying. It was so awesome.

StockdaleForVeep
10-27-2005, 03:09 AM
shock...then huging a friend as i was crying

eastchicagosoxfan
10-27-2005, 05:55 AM
During Palmeriero's at bat, some people started the, " Let's go White Sox, clap, clap---clap,clap,clap " cheer, and suddenly I was in shock. Just like that, World Series Victors. I screamed, high-fived, cryed, but almost in a state of disbelief. We watched the replay, to make sure it was the right call, fearful that perhaps our victory would be tainted. People screamed about heading to Midway. All the while, I convinced myself, that not only had the Sox played in the World Series, they won it. We saw that he was out by the proverbial country mile. More screaming. I remembered where I was, and how I felt when the Bears won it all, and I determined that this feels better. I'm a Sox fan, it's personal.

Soxzilla
10-27-2005, 06:46 AM
Here is the last out, per recorded by my brother at the United Center.

Suffice to say, words aren't needed to describe the reaction...:bandance:

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0I6ALI0LA57J13HW1LG48N4P6F

MiamiSpartan
10-27-2005, 07:00 AM
SWEET! Thanks for sharing that! Brought even more tears to my eyes! That was my initial reaction last night. I started screaming and then the tears started flowing.

soxjim
10-27-2005, 07:03 AM
I was on WSI chat after the last out I dove from my computer chair to the sofa. After that gave my wife a big hug. since my fellow SOX fans/coworkers were over we chanted/cheered to the point neighbors knocked on our door to quiet down. They will get over it.

flo-B-flo
10-27-2005, 07:24 AM
Stunning stunning I just sat head in hands. Thinking of ALL we went through this season. All the seasons of frustrations........everything. OVER FINALLY. WE WIN!!. What a team. Un ****in believable. My head hurts. My heart is bursting. Thanks to the greatest TEAM on earth. Thanks to my family for putting up with this obsession of mine. Thanks to the Sox brothers and sisters in here WSI, that lets us wonderfully opine and scream and bitch about The Chicago White Sox THE WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL.......UNBOLIEVABLE

MiamiSpartan
10-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I was on WSI chat after the last out I dove from my computer chair to the sofa. After that gave my wife a big hug. since my fellow SOX fans/coworkers were over we chanted/cheered to the point neighbors knocked on our door to quiet down. They will get over it.

They must be cub fans...:D:

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Was in my friends basement. as soon as it happened we ran outside and started spraying root beer and ginger ale all over each other. We set off a bunch of fireworks and ran around york road with a sox flag.

spawn
10-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I let out a primal, gutteral scream, jumped up and down, ran out into the street screaming like a madman, and then hugged my wife and stepson.

pauliemvp
10-27-2005, 08:50 AM
I was at home with my rally towel squeezed in my hand. As soon as the last out came, I immediately jumped up, threw the towel in the air and began hugging my TV and thanking the Sox for making my dream come true.

Madvora
10-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I was in a bar and I actually felt the tears coming after the Uribe catch. Once they finished the whole thing out, I was crying and yelling!

soxfan26
10-27-2005, 09:00 AM
I knew Uribe was going to make the play - I jumped to my feet and said

"Get there - he's got it - holy **** - he's out - Juan ****ing Uribe!!"

I opened a bottle of champagne and teared up just a bit while my Dad told me Uribe reminded him of Aparicio during the 9th inning. We made a toast to the best White Sox team we've ever seen.

I'm still in shock - The Chicago White Sox are World Series Champions.

WisSoxFan
10-27-2005, 09:08 AM
With the count 1-1 on Palmeiro my 14-month old started to waking up and crying (it was my night to take care of him) so I picked him up and we listened to the last out from his room on the TV in our bedroom. I then spent the next 15 minutes holding my sleeping son on my shoulder with tears in my eyes. I know he won't remember any of it, but it sure means a lot to me!

HChappasJr
10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I was at my Mom and Dad's house. All of the other games of the WS, my Dad couldn't watch because he was so nervous. I would call him after every game and ask him what he thought and he would say "I couldn't watch, I was too nervous" so I made sure he got to see all of game 4 by going over there and making him watch it. When Pauly squeezed that last out, I jumped up and gave my Dad a huge hug and said "We got to see it. We actually got to see it in our lifetime!" He's 66 years old and we've been going to games together for over 30 years. I'm so happy for him.

ma-gaga
10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I laughed, because normally the pitcher jumps into the catchers arms...

:AJ:

"dear god Bobby, NO!!!!!"

Railsplitter
10-27-2005, 09:30 AM
It's about time!

kninchicago
10-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I was at Kendall's too, and I stared in disbelief till I saw the umpire call the final out. I was already in shock from that unbelieveable catch by Uribe the out before. The crowd at Kendall's went wild! I was bummed I couldn't make it to the South Side due to work, but Kendall's was definetly a great environment for Northsiders to catch the game without much Cub interference. I stayed to watch JD get MVP and see the trophies get handed out, I went home soon after that to watch the rest on my TV at home so I could hear the interviews and such.

Only 4 months till we start on the road to victory again!

Iguana775
10-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Well, our baby was in the same room so i really couldnt do much till i went out side and had a cigar and a couple beers. woo hoo!

ChiSoxGirl
10-27-2005, 09:47 AM
I was at Puffers with many other WSIers and I barely saw the last out because as soon as it was made, I got thrown to the floor and was nearly trampled by fans going insane inside the bar. Once I was helped up by IronFisk (thanks for that, by the way), I couldn't see anything because of the champagne & beer that were being sprayed all around and from the mascara running in my eyes, due to my tears. It was sheer pandemonium, but I loved and will never, ever forget any minute of it!

manders_01
10-27-2005, 09:50 AM
then she pulled out the cold bottle of champagne that I had been too afraid to buy. The best champagne I ever had.

Tears came to my eyes when I read that. How awesome!

kobo
10-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I was at home sittin on the porch with some of my closest friends, and in the 9th all I could do was stand. When the final out was made I was in disbelief and then I started to cry. Then I popped the champagne and took the biggest pull off that bottle I could. Then I cried a little more and let out a big **** YEAH!!!

A.T. Money
10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Jumped up, screamed, and then sat down in shock trying to figure out what I just witnessed. I didn't cry or do any of that. The only time I got choked up was Game 1 when our boys took the field.

soxstarter
10-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Jumps, screams, hugs!

Total elation!!!!

credefan24
10-27-2005, 10:03 AM
My dad and I were standing in front of the t.v. When Uribe made that catch for the 2nd out, my dad jumped like 10 feet high, "only one more to go" he said. Then, when Uribe threw out the runner, geez I forget who it was, there was silence until we heard Rooney say, "Out! Out! The White Sox win the world series!" We hugged each other tightly, and cried a little. Amazing.

I get tears just reading the other posts here. We deserve this. The Sox players deserve this. DONT STOP BELIEVIN'!!!!

zach074
10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
My first reaction was Juan Uribe is amazing.

Moses_Scurry
10-27-2005, 10:09 AM
When the out at 1st was called, I let out a very loud Homer Simpson-esque WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!

Almost woke up my 2 month old daughter!

Then, my wife and I had a glass of wine and watched the celebration. It brought tears to my eyes!

Me------- wife ---Alex
:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

DenverSock
10-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I scramed "Party like it's 1917" because it was in my head as my daughter had been saying it all night. Then I screamed incoherently. Then I sang Na-na-na....... for I don't know how long. I watched the Post Game hype. I still don't believe it.

Joel Perez
10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Picture the scene:

My wife is trying to sleep, and I'm wide awake in the bedroom with her, watching the game.

The final out is done.

I went to put my WS cap on. I run out of my room to the frontroom, where my older brother and my mother in law were watching the same thing!!! A huge smile on my face, my brother and I gave each other a big bearhug.

Priceless.

Iwritecode
10-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I laughed, because normally the pitcher jumps into the catchers arms...

:AJ:

"dear god Bobby, NO!!!!!"

That was pretty funny. :)

My basic train of thought as the last out was made. This was all in a span of about 3 seconds:

Yes, a comebacker to Bobby!
Oh **** he missed it! Now it's gonna be first and third with 2 outs.
Where the hell did Uribe come from?
Does he have time to get him? C'mon, make a good throw!
(out call made)
YYYEEEESSSS!!!

Then my youngest daughter (who was trying to go to sleep) sat up and looked around and then layed back down.

:)

mrwag
10-27-2005, 10:23 AM
At the top of the 9th I had to get my 6 year old son out of bed. He tried to stay up, but by the 4th inning I had to put him into bed. He's a big die hard fan too (raised him right!).

As the 9th inning progressed, I could only think of how I was a little boy not too many years ago, pretending to be Fisk or Ozzie in the World Series while playing catch with my dad in my back yard, dreaming and wondering what it would be like.

My wife, my oldest son and I were in the living room on the edge of our seats. I started to get nervous, but Uribe's foul ball catch got me jumping and shouting. Then the final out was made, I was jumping around as soon as contact was made... I then sat down, trying to take it all in and fighting back the tears and emotions of 32 years of mediocrity and 2nd place finishes. It was our turn, and it felt good. Then I began to wish I hadn't moved to Tennessee last year so I could have been closer to Chicago to get the full experience.

I know my wife really doesn't quite get it, and my son doesn't either, but I wanted to share that with them both.

tstrike2000
10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I watched it at the United Center with my wife. We screamed, hugged, high fived, screamed, high fived everyone around us.

supertwangreverb
10-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Watching it here at home with my girlfriend, I had to pick her up at Grad school(driving from Northbrook to Depaul, Lincoln Park) so I missed innings 3-6, which ultimatly nothing really happened in the game.... I cried when they won the Division, and a little more for the ALDS, and ALCS. I just sat there last night... I still can't believe it. I got a little teary when my sister text messaged me that, "Dad's probably going crazy up there".

Everytime I say "the Sox won the World Series" it sounds like a joke. I still don't even believe they were in the World Series, let alone swept it. The White Sox Swept THE World Series?!?!?

Baby Fisk
10-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Watching Uribe throw to Konerko for the final out, a great calm swept over me. Then the booty shaking began. The neighbours must have thought someone was being murdered at my place haha!

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I waited until I saw the ump call him out, look at my brother and screamed and jumped up and down and we gave each other huge hugs, Screaming I don't believe it and it hit me, the tears of joy flowed, never had I been so moved, it was incredible

Realist
10-27-2005, 08:34 PM
I just sat there in shock with my jaw hanging open. Slowly a smile crossed my face that just won't go away.

:smile:

dividedsk717
10-27-2005, 09:31 PM
I think my reaction involved Uribe's name, a lot of cursing, and then a lot of yelling and jumping around the house like crazy. And then, of course, a bottle of champagne. :cool:

epgalsoxfan
10-27-2005, 09:50 PM
it was actually a lot different as i had expected....dad was pacing around the living room during the bottom of the 9th because he couldnt sit still..i just sat there leaning forward in my seat and when the final out was made...we both just kinda stood there in shock..i mean we knew it was going to happen but when it actually did we just didnt know how to react..i had jumped up and down when we clinched the division, alds, and alcs but for some reason it just didnt feel right at that moment. I was on the verge of tears but they didnt happen till i saw JR accept the trophy and start to talk with the sound of choking up in his voice that he was about to cry.

I will never forget that feeling when Uribe threw the ball to Paulie.

Thank you Sox for a great year and i have never and will never stop believing. I'm only 24 years old but i really dont think anything will top this.(well in my career as a sox fan) :):supernana:

chisoxfanatic
10-27-2005, 10:01 PM
I was at Puffers with many other WSIers and I barely saw the last out because as soon as it was made, I got thrown to the floor and was nearly trampled by fans going insane inside the bar. Once I was helped up by IronFisk (thanks for that, by the way), I couldn't see anything because of the champagne & beer that were being sprayed all around and from the mascara running in my eyes, due to my tears. It was sheer pandemonium, but I loved and will never, ever forget any minute of it!

I concur with most of that...only differences were that I wasn't trampeled and didn't wear mascara. Puffers was up for grabs. Hell, even the bartender sprayed the beer tap all over the bar...Insanity broke out!

mrs. hendu
10-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Screaming, jumping, hugging, and soon after running to the refrigerator to get beer. :bandance: :gulp:

chiwhitesox035
10-27-2005, 10:07 PM
My reaction was screaming and jumping up and down followed by a tearful hug with a buddy next to me, being only 21 years old I didn't have to wait as long as some of my fellow Sox fans...I'm am truly happy for you guys, you are the true fans that never gave up faith, made me a Sox fan and I find that awesome and I thank you. Thanks 2005 White Sox for making this a storybook season, one I will never forget.

chisoxjk
10-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I picked up my 3 year old little girl, who watched every playoff game with me, and hugged her. We were jumping up and down, me repeating "Oh my God!!" over and over as tears streamed down my face.

Then I called my Dad who took me to my first game when I was 4 years old, 31 years ago. We were both on the phone saying nothing because we were both just speechless over what had just happened. So many years of watching and going to games together and we finally had a world champion.

ElDuque26
10-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Sitting with my dad and brother...see uribe gun the ball and knew it was over...then ran to the radio to hear rooney's last comments as a white sox radio man...then shed a tear before breaking into the sparkling apple juice (i'm not of age...too bad)!