PDA

View Full Version : Transaction Analysis from Baseball Primer

jklm
12-13-2001, 05:45 PM
http://www.baseballprimer.com/to/archives/00000150.shtml#comments_2

Pittsburgh Pirates (December 13, 2001)

Traded P Todd Ritchie and C Lee Evans to the Chicago White Sox for Ps Kip Wells, Sean Lowe, and Josh Fogg

Oracle Says:

Neither Evans or Fogg are real prospects, so the trade really boils down to Ritchie for Wells and Lowe. Ritchie has established himself as a right around league average pitcher the last couple years after his strong 1999. Wells has been about as mediocre as Ritchie has been the last couple of years and being 25 next year instead of 30, probably has more of an upside (and, I believe, better stuff, too). When you add in Sean Lowe, who bounced back from a weak 2000 and might very well be in the Pirates' rotation, I think the trade clearly tips in favor of the Pirates. Generally, I think losing a trade to the Pirates is grounds for immediate dismissal, but the White Sox are too gutless to fire Williams.

Soxheads
12-13-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jklm

Neither Evans or Fogg are real prospects, so the trade really boils down to Ritchie for Wells and Lowe.

Since when hasn't Fogg been a real prospect?

jklm
12-13-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Usually minor league relievers, especially in the high minors, are not considered real prospects.

Daver
12-13-2001, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

In a rotation riddled with injuries Fogg didn't make it up here till the rosters expanded,which tells me the Sox had him low on their list as far as pitchers go.

But then again what the hell do I know?

nut_stock
12-14-2001, 12:21 AM
the little he did pitch, Fogg was impressive. But don't get the wrong idea I like this trade.

Bmr31
12-14-2001, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jklm
http://www.baseballprimer.com/to/archives/00000150.shtml#comments_2

Pittsburgh Pirates (December 13, 2001)

Traded P Todd Ritchie and C Lee Evans to the Chicago White Sox for Ps Kip Wells, Sean Lowe, and Josh Fogg

Oracle Says:

Neither Evans or Fogg are real prospects, so the trade really boils down to Ritchie for Wells and Lowe. Ritchie has established himself as a right around league average pitcher the last couple years after his strong 1999. Wells has been about as mediocre as Ritchie has been the last couple of years and being 25 next year instead of 30, probably has more of an upside (and, I believe, better stuff, too). When you add in Sean Lowe, who bounced back from a weak 2000 and might very well be in the Pirates' rotation, I think the trade clearly tips in favor of the Pirates. Generally, I think losing a trade to the Pirates is grounds for immediate dismissal, but the White Sox are too gutless to fire Williams.

gee doesnt that sound familiar? :)

nut_stock
12-14-2001, 12:34 AM
The problem with that, is he's not taking into account that Sean can't go more than 5 innings and Kip still has some mental issues to straighten out. Kip probably does have more potential, but how long before it arrives. Oh and while Ritchie is not an ace he's definitely a step above average.

Bmr31
12-14-2001, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
The problem with that, is he's not taking into account that Sean can't go more than 5 innings and Kip still has some mental issues to straighten out. Kip probably does have more potential, but how long before it arrives. Oh and while Ritchie is not an ace he's definitely a step above average.

ritchie is NOT above average, and the year 2002 will prove that...

CLR01
12-14-2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

ritchie is NOT above average, and the year 2002 will prove that...

Told you hes a yanks fan. Hes just waiting for C.Lee to be traded to his team.

Bmr31
12-14-2001, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Told you hes a yanks fan. Hes just waiting for C.Lee to be traded to his team.

oh id be happy for carlos......he has no chance to win a ring as long as we have this moron for a gm.......