PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Notebook: Winter Meetings Day 2

Soxheads
12-13-2001, 04:32 PM
http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20011211_winterm eetings_news&team_id=cws

By Patrick O'Connell
MLB.com

The biggest trade to date at this year's Winter Meetings severely impacted the Chicago White Sox. By virtue of the New York Mets acquiring superstar second baseman Roberto Alomar Tuesday, the National League East club successfully removed a painful thorn in the side of the White Sox.

A career .306 hitter, Alomar, 33, feasted on White Sox hurlers, batting 20 points higher than his lifetime average when facing his former divisional foe.

"I wasn't too heartbroken when I heard that Robbie was leaving," said Keith Foulke, who held Alomar to just two hits in seven at-bats. "Anytime when you can get rid of an MVP-style player from an opposing team in your division, that's good for us."

In 127 games against the Pale Hose, the 12-time All-Star collected 158 hits and notched 25 doubles, five triples, 20 home runs and 72 RBIs. Alomar was also 28-for-33 (.848) in stolen-base attempts while posting a .406 on-base percentage and a .522 slugging percentage versus Chicago.

"It doesn't hurt," White Sox General Manager Ken Williams said when asked about Alomar's departure. "I won't miss seeing him come to the plate here."

When reminded that the White Sox would play the NL East instead of the Central during Interleague play next season, Williams winced and quickly realized that he has not seen the last of Alomar.

Nor does he believe he has heard the last from the Indians, despite dealing one of baseball's most dangerous hitters.

"I don't believe for one second that that team can no longer be looked at as competitive," Williams said. "They are still the Indians."

Patrick O'Connell is the site reporter for whitesox.com