PDA

View Full Version : Where IS DJ anyway??

paciorek1983
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
We've heard from Hawk, anyone talk to/heard from DJ during all of this. I think his contract has expired, considering on the whitesox.com it says he signed a 4 yr extension in 2001. Is......He Gone??

Daver
10-26-2005, 06:34 PM
We've heard from Hawk, anyone talk to/heard from DJ during all of this. I think his contract has expired, considering on the whitesox.com it says he signed a 4 yr extension in 2001. Is......He Gone??

One can only hope.

I hope that Ken Harrellson joins him.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-26-2005, 07:23 PM
One can only hope.

It depends on the replacements.

Craig Grebeck
10-26-2005, 08:41 PM
bring back wimpy damnit

paciorek1983
10-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Was DJ at the parade today?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Was DJ at the parade today?

Didn't see him and he wasn't mentioned. Rooney was introduced. Farmer started the introductions and Hawk MC'd most of it.

SoxFan76
10-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Uh-oh! He gawn? Mercy.....

YYYYYEEEES!

Ron Karkovice
10-28-2005, 06:18 PM
I hope both Hawk and DJ stay for a while. nope, no teal.

paciorek1983
10-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Didn't see him and he wasn't mentioned. Rooney was introduced. Farmer started the introductions and Hawk MC'd most of it.

So then, I still wonder, if DJ is gone. Why wouldn't he be there otherwise, especially if all of the other Sox announcers were there?

Theanticub
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
One can only hope.

God you really get on The Hawk. I love him, please GOD sign him till he dies.

FedEx227
10-28-2005, 11:36 PM
UH-OH!

:( they should really resign him, I know people hate him but I think hes done a fine job, better than most anybody else we can find these days.

ChiSoxRowand
10-29-2005, 02:19 AM
DJ may not be the greatest, but he's not bad.

downstairs
10-29-2005, 08:33 AM
My opinion has always been this...

DJ is a complete dork. But I like that. He should *use* that and he should *become* that.

His problem is that he has spots of goofiness, but its all just botched up because he's trying so hard to agree with every single thing Hawk says.

If he uses the "Uuuuhhh-oh" and "Bye-bye"... it would catch on in a kitchy way.

With so many people trying to become vanilla network guys, its nice to have a guy who just has no hope of even running cable and getting coffee for the network.

kevin57
10-29-2005, 08:42 AM
The fact that most Sox fans were clamoring for Hawk but nary a word for DJ speaks volumes about their popularity. DJ is a nice guy, but he's not a "Pick to Click" with the fans.

whitesoxfan
10-29-2005, 09:59 AM
good hopefully DJ is gone.

i'm hopeful that Black Jack or Robin could be DJ's replacement.

greenpeach
10-29-2005, 10:02 AM
bring back wimpy damnit

Wimpy ain't coming back. He loves it down here in Atlanta. Besides, he blames Hawk for forcing him out of Chicago in the first place. That info came from a couple of private conversations I've had with him.

The Dude
10-29-2005, 10:06 AM
One can only hope.

First point, agreed!

Second point. No chance Daver! Hawk will be with us as long as he possibly can and I look forward to every minute of it!:cool:

:hawk
"DJ with an 0-2 count and heres the pitch....gasssssssss HE GONE!"

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 10:36 AM
:carter

"A job opening on the South Side? You don't say..."

Tragg
10-29-2005, 10:41 AM
My sense is that if you like Hawk (which I do), then you have to put up with a dork for a sidekick, because that's the way Hawk likes/wants it. We could never have Hawk and Stone, for example.

I think it's okay/good to have a homer on either radio or tv, preferably TV.

Black Sox
10-29-2005, 11:22 AM
I hope DJ is gone too. Robin or black Jack could be nice. I'd prefer Steve Stone but him and hawk together sounds kind of explosive.

Why not just bring Rooney over to the tv side?

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-29-2005, 11:47 AM
one can only hope DJ is replaced by Black Jack

34 Inch Stick
10-29-2005, 11:58 AM
One can only hope.

I'd take it a step further and lose Farmer as well. Unfortunately the only good member of the Sox broadcasting team is the one that is leaving.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-29-2005, 02:30 PM
My opinion has always been this...

DJ is a complete dork. But I like that. He should *use* that and he should *become* that.

:DJ is to :hawk as

http://tv.tribune.com/whatson/images/cast/fpba_biocarlton.jpg is to http://kino.tiscali.cz/apollo/pictures/20048309212569298.jpg

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 02:36 PM
:DJ is to :hawk as

http://tv.tribune.com/whatson/images/cast/fpba_biocarlton.jpg is to http://kino.tiscali.cz/apollo/pictures/20048309212569298.jpg

But if DJ could dance like Carlton, I think he'd be somewhat more entertaining.

bayzbol44
10-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Are people ASSuming he is gone, because he was not at the parade???

Well if DJ is gone, I hope Hawk joins him in a year or so. He has stayed about 10 years too long.

Now Rooney and Stone on TV would be a good daily-double.

Foulke You
10-29-2005, 03:15 PM
:carter

"A job opening on the South Side? You don't say..."
:chimp
"Swung on and Belted and Skip to my Lou my Darling! I could come back to Chicago too! After all, my grandfather used to call Sox games too!"

mdep524
10-29-2005, 03:23 PM
I think someone made a point before that DJ would actually work better in the radio booth with Farmer. I like DJ, the guy, though I think his voice and broadcast style aren't the greatest. Pairing him with Hawk makes everything much, much worse, as he tried to pander to all of Hawk's comments and styles.

DJ knows a lot about the fundamentals of baseball though, and maybe he would make a better partner with Farmer. Farmer wouldn't demand a yes man like Hawk, and both Farmer and DJ have quirky personalities and senses of humor that might mesh together better.

Dolanski
10-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Rumor I heard was that Steve Lyons was up for the Rooney job, with Mike North taking over on the weekends when Lyons does national broadcasts. If DJ is gone, perhaps Lyons will be with Hawk in the booth?

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
UH-OH!

:( they should really resign him, I know people hate him but I think hes done a fine job, better than most anybody else we can find these days. I heard that DJ was told to go home and work on a decent home run call. I expect that it will take him the entire off-season to accomplish it.

This is what he has so far: DJ's work in progress
(http://amazingsounds.iespana.es/tarzanyell.wav)

Seriously, DJ should have been there. I missed him.

bayzbol44
10-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Did anyone hear on the parade broadcast on Comcast that Rooney told one of their TV personalities that negotations are not totally closed??? He just said that there is still a slight opening.

rootrootroot
10-29-2005, 05:40 PM
I haven't heard/seen ANYTHING from/about him since the regular season ended.

Any quotes?

Was he at any games or the rally?

soxwon
10-29-2005, 05:46 PM
I noticed that too.

a lot of people don't like him, but he WAS part of the experience.

He isnt the worst color man in broadcasting- Ron Santo still holds that distinction.

Actually i like DJ- He's better Than COACH on WWE RAW.

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 05:52 PM
I haven't heard/seen ANYTHING from/about him since the regular season ended.

Any quotes?

Was he at any games or the rally?Duplicate thread. There is another thread on this topic called Where is DJ anyway? Here it is... http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61098

Theanticub
10-29-2005, 06:30 PM
But if DJ could dance like Carlton, I think he'd be somewhat more entertaining.

Ohh man, could you picture a dance off betwen Rooney and DJ..the winner gets the hawk partner position.

HotelWhiteSox
10-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Without offering my opinion on him or future status, I still think he was a part of the team and should have been there (assumption that he wasn't, I didn't see him). And come on, "Uh-oh!" and some of those calls are priceless, and I give him a lot of credit for what he puts up with

CanBuehrleWait
10-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Without offering my opinion on him or future status, I still think he was a part of the team and should have been there (assumption that he wasn't, I didn't see him). And come on, "Uh-oh!" and some of those calls are priceless, and I give him a lot of credit for what he puts up with
I agree 100%. I like Dj as well but I really like Hawk. Old cranky homer guys rule. They call it how it is and don't care about hurting the feeligns of other teams fans. The only old ultimate homer guy in competition is good old Red Kerr. I want them both in Chicago spoth till they start talkin like this:

http://www.fsnchicago.com/images/features/tomandjohnny237x128.jpgTime expires and the Chicago Bulls have won the pennant!!!!
:hawk That is B. S.!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I think it is noteworthy that an event as significant as winning the World Series had every noteworthy figure inside the Sox organization present for the festivities including front office, marketing, and baseball operations. Even semi-retired figures like Roland Hemond and Eddie Einhorn were visible the past several days and weeks.

Everyone that is except Darrin Jackson. It doesn't mean jack by itself, but I'm noting this fact now. I would have expected him to appear at least once sometime the past 2-3 weeks.

Scotty347
10-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I think it is noteworthy that an event as significant as winning the World Series had every noteworthy figure inside the Sox organization present for the festivities including front office, marketing, and baseball operations. Even semi-retired figures like Roland Hemond and Eddie Einhorn were visible the past several days and weeks.

Everyone that is except Darrin Jackson. It doesn't mean jack by itself, but I'm noting this fact now. I would have expected him to appear at least once sometime the past 2-3 weeks.

Good points - it is strange he is absent. Although I am almost positive that he is signed through 2007 or 2009 along with Hawk. I remember something awhile back about keeping the team together on the same length contract.

paciorek1983
10-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Good points - it is strange he is absent. Although I am almost positive that he is signed through 2007 or 2009 along with Hawk. I remember something awhile back about keeping the team together on the same length contract.

But according to whitesox.com, in the description of broadcasters section, it says DJ signed a 4 year extension in 2001. That seems to me that his contract has expired. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong. But anyway, how can it be that none of us have seen or heard him since the post season games started? Doesn't that seem weird?

arbutron
10-29-2005, 11:02 PM
wow DJ is horrible

spongyfungy
11-01-2005, 02:22 AM
MJH was talking about him today, I think.....I didn't really catch it but did anyone hear what was said?

Realist
11-01-2005, 06:03 AM
But according to whitesox.com, in the description of broadcasters section, it says DJ signed a 4 year extension in 2001. That seems to me that his contract has expired. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong. But anyway, how can it be that none of us have seen or heard him since the post season games started? Doesn't that seem weird?

I was just starting to really like DJ and now it looks like he might be gone.

Soxfest
11-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I still cannot understand DJ being hired over T.Seaver to begin with, DJ's next thought will be his first.Hope he is gone

downstairs
11-01-2005, 08:43 AM

With all the DJ bashing this year, I am surprised that no one has brought this up (on this board, on radio, everything.)

I don't know if its true, and of course I haven't read every single thread... but that would be strange if it were true and no one mentioned it.

WestSox
11-01-2005, 09:13 AM
God you really get on The Hawk. I love him, please GOD sign him till he dies.

Agreed somewhat. Hawk isn't Harry Caray, but I can't think of anybody right now who could take his place (except maybe Rooney).

If DJ is on his way out, I wonder if the Sox could lure Steve Stone away from ESPN or wherever he is now. I've always thought that he was one of the better color commentators in the game.

MsSoxVixen22
11-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey, I love Hawk and DJ is kinda dorky but he is entertaining. I sometimes find myself saying Uh-oh! when the Sox hit one out.:tongue: He's not that bad. I love Hawk and DJ t/g. I don't know why everyone hates them so? Hey if DJ is gone maybe we can get the ever so talented Joe Buck!

Pasqua's Posers
11-01-2005, 10:49 AM
One can only hope.

Why do you say that Daver? Although he can be a "homer" at times, I think he's great.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 11:06 AM
I still cannot understand DJ being hired over T.Seaver to begin with, DJ's next thought will be his first.Hope he is gone

Was Tom Seaver really an option?

gobears1987
11-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Why the **** does everyone want Steve Stone? He's a ****ing Flubbie fan who was constantly promoting the Flubs on radio this year and minimizing the Sox accomplishments. **** Stone. Any Sox fan would not want that Flubbie Blue bastard near our team. I want Hawk and some former Sox here, preferably Robin or Blackjack. Stone can go back to loving the Cubs. I would only want him in a booth for the Sox if Hawk would berate his ass during every inning and bash the Cubs and make Stone cry. I'd rather have Buck or Berman in there than Stone, but I'd still rather have stone than Brantley.

Stoky44
11-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I know its not going to happen, but I want whimpy back. hawk and whimpy were awesome during the 90's.
But I have this feeling Hawk wants to be the center of attention, and whimpy was getting a little too popular. Don't get me wrong I like hawk a lot. With that in mind I see no chance of whimpy, Steve Stone, or anybody else who could develope high popularity coming in. Hawk would want somebody dry who is not very opinionated, ie Don Paul. Remember when DJ stood up to Hawk early on, it was obvious that would not last. hawk needs a yes man. It took him a few years to mold DJ into that, I say DJ is coming back. I remember though he said something like he did not like doing all the spring training games this year, I think Robin had a problem with it.So maybe Robin wouldn't let him go to the WS because of the extra time he spent in spring training. She wouldn't let him be gone for that long.

34 Inch Stick
11-01-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd love to see someone who could demand a fairly long term contract so he would have the confidence to stand up to Hawk.

NardiWasHere
11-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Why the **** does everyone want Steve Stone? He's a ****ing Flubbie fan who was constantly promoting the Flubs on radio this year and minimizing the Sox accomplishments. **** Stone. Any Sox fan would not want that Flubbie Blue bastard near our team. I want Hawk and some former Sox here, preferably Robin or Blackjack. Stone can go back to loving the Cubs. I would only want him in a booth for the Sox if Hawk would berate his ass during every inning and bash the Cubs and make Stone cry. I'd rather have Buck or Berman in there than Stone, but I'd still rather have stone than Brantley.

Stone is my favorite color-commentator... He did not minimize the Sox accomplishments on the radio at all. He was actually a supporter of them. You say you want an ex-Sox player in the booth. Bro, Stone played on the Sox. :?: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :?:

PKalltheway
11-01-2005, 01:40 PM
The Hawk is probably the most entertaining announcer in all of baseball right now. It is a joy to watch Sox games on tv with him behind the mic because I will be into the game from the first pitch to the last pitch. Nowadays, you have too many Joe Buck and Tim McCarver types on the airwaves. I live here in Cincinnati, and I get to hear Marty Brennaman all the time and I know a good announcer when I hear one. The Hawk is awesome! Sign him to a lifetime deal!

Lip Man 1
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Regarding the question of 'where is D.J. ?' My only answer is 'who cares...' The further away the better as far as I'm concerned.

Lip

PKalltheway
11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
The Hawk can do games by himself! He doesn't need anybody else!

rbeze09
11-01-2005, 02:03 PM
hawk is the man...how could u not love him..hes 1 of the biggest sox fans around and hes got some of the most exciting and great calls..."he gone!"
mercy!" "stretch, stretch, get on back there" u can put it on the board"
"yyeeessss!!"----he may be the most biased announcer ever...but aren't we biased sox fans...i think hawk is the man...i dont mind DJ either, i loved hawk and wimpy...but hawk and DJ isnt too shabby...its a helluva lot better than what theyve got on the WRONGSIDE of town..

HOW BOUT SEEING THE BIG HURT WITH THE W.S. TROPHY, WAS THAT AWESOME OR WHAT. THE DAY THOMAS LEAVES THE CHI WILL BE A SAD DAY IN THIS SOX FANS HEART.

RowanDye
11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Regarding the question of 'where is D.J. ?' My only answer is 'who cares...' The further away the better as far as I'm concerned.

Lip

hahahaha! :whocares

mweflen
11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I like DJ. But if he leaves, I want Black Jack. That man knows how to analyze.

Robin stunk behind the mic.

gobears1987
11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Stone is my favorite color-commentator... He did not minimize the Sox accomplishments on the radio at all. He was actually a supporter of them. You say you want an ex-Sox player in the booth. Bro, Stone played on the Sox. :?: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :?:I know he played on the Sox, but I want a fomer Sox player who LOVES this team. Stone is still a lover of the Flubbies and a moron.

TomBradley72
11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
It's like the movie "Animal House"...where they steer Flounder and Pinto (before they were Flounder and Pinto) towards the other misfits checking out the frat. Well DJ....why don't you join these other former White Sox announcers over here...let me introduce you to: Early Wynn, Lou Brock, Mary Shane, JC Martin, Jack Drees, Bud Kelly...

NardiWasHere
11-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Stone is still a lover of the Flubbies and a moron.

Criticize him because you don't like his voice, because you would rather want to see BlackJack... When you call Stone a moron, you lose a little credibility. P.S..... BOILER UP!

tacosalbarojas
11-01-2005, 03:48 PM

LipLip - while I agree with your sentiment here, it is a bit disconcerting for DJ not to show up at all when the team he broadcasts games for wins its first World Title since 1917. It shows me a true lack of care, a lack of passion for the Chicago White Sox, and that doesn't sit very well with me. Now, not that any of this is unexpected from DJ, but still maybe it is high time Brooks and the boys started looking in a different direction for our TV booth.

Realist
11-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Lip - while I agree with your sentiment here, it is a bit disconcerting for DJ not to show up at all when the team he broadcasts games for wins its first World Title since 1917. It shows me a true lack of care, a lack of passion for the Chicago White Sox, and that doesn't sit very well with me. Now, not that any of this is unexpected from DJ, but still maybe it is high time Brooks and the boys started looking in a different direction for our TV booth.

I think the reason we haven't heard from DJ is because he already knows "he gawn". If that's the case, I can't really blame him. If I'm wrong, he's got some explaining to do.

tacosalbarojas
11-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I think the reason we haven't heard from DJ is because he already knows "he gawn". If that's the case, I can't really blame him. If I'm wrong, he's got some explaining to do.
That's what I'm saying, realist. Any excuse less than DJ having a limb removed during World Series week will not wash with me.

Baby Fisk
11-01-2005, 04:35 PM
"Where was DJ during the World Series parade???"

Never thought I'd live to see threads like this! LOVE IT! :cool:

#1venturafan
11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Robin stunk behind the mic.

Nuh-uh. :mad:

spongyfungy
11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I love DJ and his signature "uh oh"

DJ is underrated and handcuffed by the Hawk. They don't have chemistry together and it's hawks fault. It's amazing how much DJ has grown as a commentator with Hawk around him. A good pbp man throws softballs to the commentator, especially to a rookie like DJ.

DJ is seems so incredibly uncomfortable compared to when DJ was with Don Pall, or robin.

It's too bad that DJ was not part of any Sox celebrations and that's a shame. I hope it was his choice and wasn't forced.

spongyfungy
11-01-2005, 04:50 PM

Rooney knows he's out. He was there.

The Hawk can do games by himself! He doesn't need anybody else!

You may find yourself wondering, why does my tv go on auto-mute?

DumpJerry
11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Ok, as much as we wish for Black Jack to broadcast Sox games on radio or telly, it won't happen. How do I know? I asked him. During Game 2 of the recently completed Greatest World Series in the History of Sports Dating Back to Ancient Rome (how's that for a title?), I was in a skybox. Black Jack hung out in my box from the 2nd through the end of the 8th inning (wow! I get to hang out with Black Jack AND experience Scott's walk off!!!) and we told him we thought he and Ventura did a great job filling for Hawk this season. We asked him if he could get Rooney's job because we felt he was great. He said he can't right now because of the travel involved (he's got kids at home).

It was pretty cool sitting there as he analyzed for us the techniques the pitchers and batters were using and explained what was good and what went wrong. There was one long foul by Uribe that he said should have gone out except Uribe made a minor mistake and should have known a Slider was coming and adjusted his hands...........wow it would be great to hear stuff like that all season! Of course Cub fans would get turned off and bored by talk about baseball during a ballgame and switch on the Cubs' game to get Santo's deep, deep analysis...........

slavko
11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Rooney knows he's out. He was there.

Rooney made the decision not to return himself. DJ probably didn't.

bayzbol44
11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
The Hawk is probably the most entertaining announcer in all of baseball right now. It is a joy to watch Sox games on tv with him behind the mic because I will be into the game from the first pitch to the last pitch. Nowadays, you have too many Joe Buck and Tim McCarver types on the airwaves. I live here in Cincinnati, and I get to hear Marty Brennaman all the time and I know a good announcer when I hear one. The Hawk is awesome! Sign him to a lifetime deal!

I think the post above should have been in teal. :D:

Optipessimism
11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
If DJ is on his way out, I wonder if the Sox could lure Steve Stone away from ESPN or wherever he is now. I've always thought that he was one of the better color commentators in the game.

First off, Hawk is a color man, NOT a PBP man, and that is why Stone or any like him would be a bad choice. How many PBP men do you know that can sit through almost an entire inning without saying a word? Even worse, and I'll use Moose Skowron as an example, a good PBP NEVER lets the conversation in the booth stray from the action on the field. With all do respect to Moose, when he gets in the booth I swear to god it's Hawk's brother talking. Yes, the stories may be entertaining, but they are irrelevant. A real PBP man will keep this stuff short and even interrupt the color man to call a play. If it gets long, a good PBP man will even cut the story off altogether or quickly summarize the point to get on with the game. A great example of this is Rooney with Farmer. John always keeps these stories short and meaningful, and he makes Farmer look one hundred times better in the process. Can you even imagine what it will be like listening to a supposed PBP man on the radio rambling on unchained?

IMO, the best broadcast all year was the game when Carmen DiFalco sat in for DJ. It was refreshing because Carmen was always noting the score, noting the situation, giving out common statistics of players on both teams including mentioning past career years and such, basically doing every single thing a PBP man is supposed to do besides call balls and strikes. Because of the fact that Carmen wasn't a major league baseball player, he described those things which a casual fan would see and as a result created openings for Hawk to explain in further detail because a PBP is NOT there to analyze. This of course made Hawk sound much more intelligent than he normally does, as he usually gets into some stupid argument with DJ which serves to discredit the team as a whole.

I sure hope that if DJ is indeed gone Hawk will not have as much of a say as he would like regarding the hiring of a replacement, because I'd be willing to bet anything that he would make a push for a bland personality like Melton for instance, who would just tell stories and forget about what is happening. If DJ is gone the organization needs to find a real PBP man for TV, just like they need for radio. I'd love for Wills and DiFalco to each get one, but I know that neither will probably be considered.