PDA

View Full Version : AJ "A Madness to his Method" in newest SI

HotelWhiteSox
10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Just got Sports Illustrated in the mail (apparently I am now subscribed for a free trial after get a credit card at the Cell), the one with the Pods walkoff on the cover (as talked about in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60928&highlight=illustrated)), some nice World Series pictures...

the thing I liked was the AJ piece at the end, on the Rick Reilly section. Though I usually don't like Reilly, I like the information on AJ. Apparently, he is some sort of obsessive compulsive/extremely superstitious type of guy. It's awesome and borderline crazy at the same time. It's hard to explain, but I'll try. E.g. if he's catching a righty that day, every single thing he does that day has to be done with his right foot or hand (his first foot out of bed has to be right). At the end of the game, he has to give high fives with his right hand if the next day's starter is a rightie and left hand if Buerhle is starting the next game. He also has clubhouse and ballpark routines, I won't tell anymore to not try and ruin it.

I love this, it's kind of funnysince I am the same way with my White Sox pregame routines, and have my own little routines I do in general. The best part is no one but his teammates really know about it (not sure that they know all about it until now), and he talks about how people must think he's crazy while he tries to walk around using his right foot only and stuff like that. I found it interesting because I think it's cool reading all their superstitions and stuff, especially with some players that you don't expect it with.

Anyone else see this?

spongyfungy
10-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I heard Reilly on Dan Patrick today and supposedly his teammates and wife didn't really notice his quirks but after he told his teammates, they said "that explains a lot"