PDA

View Full Version : What have been your Playoff Superstitions?

kjhanson
10-26-2005, 06:42 PM
In great spirit of the word team, the Astros decided to let the facial hair grow a bit, only to clean it up after Game 2 (That sure worked well) :rolleyes:. What have you done the same all throughout this year's postseason?

Personally, I have called my mom 2 hours before every game since game 2 of the ALCS. I have also alternated wearing my two Sox hats each day since then. And finally, I have not washed my Sox Pride shirt since the playoffs have started, despite wearing it about 5 times.

What about the rest of you?

Coolpapa
10-26-2005, 06:55 PM
I wear white sox on game days and haven't stopped believin'

Paulwny
10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
An endless amount of cigarettes, cough,cough.

SoxFan76
10-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I haven't shaved since Friday night. Not even the neck. It's kind of annoying...

WinOrDyeTrying
10-26-2005, 07:01 PM

Its been like that all season. Damn you White Sox, why so many close games!

TomBradley72
10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
If watching the game on TV...always drink out of my Millers Pub glass in honor of Mr. Veeck.

Coolpapa
10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Jagermeister goes good with the smokes

LuvSox
10-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Jagermeister goes good with the smokes

That's your daily superstition, not White Sox playoff superstition. :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I haven't washed my Konerko jersey since before the playoffs even began and have worn it during all but 2 of the games. They are 9-0 when I wear it, and it's got a ton of beer shower stains and other stuff on it, which will be washed off once the World Series is won.

OEO Magglio
10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I haven't shaved since October 3rd which was the day before the alds started. I currently look like an idiot.

VivaOzzie
10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
- I've worn the same undershirt, shorts, and White Sox Security shirt every game since game 2 vs. LAA

- Shotgun a beer during the 7th inning stretch

LuvSox
10-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I haven't shaved since October 3rd which was the day before the alds started. I currently look like an idiot.

:kneeslap:

soxylady
10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Same hat...everyday...since spring training...hasn't been washed

cubhater
10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I haven't washed my Konerko jersey since before the playoffs even began and have worn it during all but 2 of the games. They are 9-0 when I wear it, and it's got a ton of beer shower stains and other stuff on it, which will be washed off once the World Series is won.

Same here with my Frank jersey. The three week old spilled beer on it from the left field concourse during the Boston series is still on it.

I have a Johnny Walker and coke before the first inning finishes before switching to vodka and diet sprite.

And I make sure my friend always stands in his good luck spot in my basement.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
10-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Ok, i am as superstitious as they come, as pertains to Sox games. I have done 2 things the same since the start of the playoffs. The only time i didn't do them, they lost!!

#1: I have to have my girlfriend watch the games with me (they lost the one time she didn't), and #2 i have to wear my black Sox visor!

Also, on a side note...my boy (who is only 4), has sat down twice to watch the game with me. The first time, was Monday night. We got down 4-2. so, i put him to bed, and shortly after Konerko hits a grand slam. Last night we were down, 4-0 with him watching....i put him to sleep again, and seriously right after i did they scored 5 runs.

Now i really want him to watch the game tonight, and see them win the whole thing. But, if they get down by alot again, i am going ot send him to bed SERIOUSLY!!! lol....that sounds cruel, but that is HOW SUPERSTITIOUS I REALLY AM.

HawkDJ
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM

That's not a playoff superstition for you. Bring back the mullet!

John Barrett
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
i have to wear my green sox hat .....

OEO Magglio
10-26-2005, 08:47 PM
That's not a playoff superstition for you. Bring back the mullet!
The facial hair is out of control at this point. I've gone like a week without shaving before but this is just nuts right now.

johnny bench
10-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I spit and adjust myself frequently.

ode to veeck
10-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I am very superstitious.
If I whine like a ****ing dark cloud the Sox will lose.
So far, so good.
:redneck

Get Back There!
10-26-2005, 11:07 PM
keep my 1917 hat on and take jersey off. keep 1983 hat close by. Classic

34rancher
10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I am so not even kidding here. I have worn the same visor for 10 of the playoff games. There has only been one I have not...yup game 1 ALCS. My wife and I were watching the game on Sun and in the 6th inning, she was like, honey you don't have your visor on....nuff said. Last night, could not put the visor on due to work until 4th inning....this is getting scary....

southsidegirl
10-27-2005, 12:35 AM
I haven't shaved my legs since the playoffs started.

During the 4th inning of game 3, my dad and I ate ice cream. It was the 5th inning where they scored 9 runs and I was about to offer taking the bowl upstairs and my dad yelled at me. "NO! YOU CAN'T BRING IT UPSTAIRS UNTIL THE GAME IS OVER!!!" So it stayed down there...for 9 more innings.

chisox56
10-27-2005, 12:38 AM
I haven't shaved since they clinched the division, I am glad I can finally shave and celebrate a world series championship:gulp:

slobes
10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
I have been holding a magic pickle for pretty much every pitch of the postseason (I think I've missed 3). It only works if I am wearing a plain white undershirt (I wasn't wearing one during Game 1 of ALCS). The pickle is going in the freezer until next Opening Day.

SouthSideSlayer
10-27-2005, 12:48 AM
I am superstitious about how i sit on the couch when the sox are playing. sound weird...but.....it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!
MOST UN-REAL TEAM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troupis
10-27-2005, 01:11 AM
I've worn the same shirt and same hat to every playoff game and to every game I have watched! (oh and at the ALCS games in Anaheim I didn't change me undies between any of the games either).

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
10-27-2005, 01:17 AM
I just made sure to wear A sox shirt, hat and/or belt buckle (I have a sweet Sox belt buckle) every day of the playoffs whenever in public and always a shirt of some sort during the games.

My mom sent me a brand new 2005 AL Champs T for my b-day that just came in the mail in time for the game yesterday. I went back to my Rowand jersey, which I wore on Sunday, for tonight. I figured if it worked Sunday it had to work tonight.

Sarah
10-28-2005, 07:35 PM
I've worn the same shirt and same hat to every playoff game and to every game I have watched! (oh and at the ALCS games in Anaheim I didn't change me undies between any of the games either).

Good to see great minds think alike, James - I did the same thing re: undies for the ALDS.

Although Dad would appreciate it, I think Mom doesn't want to know about that one.

Wordwoman
10-28-2005, 08:07 PM
The whole family kept the same Sox clothing on for each round of the playoffs. After that first loss to the Angels, we realized each round needed different Sox apparel for that particular round.

During commercials, I tried to find baseball movies. One game was "Field of Dreams" ------the next "League of Our Own." I also flipped to one of my favorite corny movies which has always been good luck for me-------"Grease."

Here is where it gets weird. When El Duque had the bases loaded, I yelled to my husband, "For God sakes, try doing the hand jive!" (Get your minds out of the gutter.) It worked and my poor husband was then forced to hand jive for every out until we were WORLD CHAMPIONS.
I told him to look at it as a unique cardio workout for the team. Thank heavens we watched from home. Then again, this could replace the wave at the park.

flo-B-flo
10-28-2005, 08:35 PM
I haven't shaved since October 3rd which was the day before the alds started. I currently look like an idiot. Oct 8th, a scruffy idiot was born. Tomorrow it goes.

MiamiSpartan
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Would not clean any of my jerseys....gonna run find a dry cleaner with power and have them all cleaned now that the Series is over...

doctorlecter
10-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I shaved ONCE on a game day, and it happened to be ALCS game 1. And I nearly wore out my camo boxer briefs.

flo-B-flo
10-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Also everytime I was out in public I wore a Sox shirt, including my WSI t-shirt. When I get home to watch the game I cover the shirt with a sweat shirt. Take my Sox hat off and lay it on my mitt facing me. I forgot and wore my Sox hat during the first game of the angels series. J I didn't make that mistake again.

soxgirl617
10-28-2005, 10:53 PM
I wore the same pair of earrings (the ones I had on during Game 1 of the ALDS) the whole month. I still haven't worn different ones.

mcfish
10-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I wore a grey shirt under my jersey or another shirt for every single playoff victory. The only game we lost I was wearing a white shirt.

I also didn't shave until after we won each round.

kevin57
10-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Beers during the games, and something harder once the victory was secured.

During the 7th inning of Game #3, my cousin got me that celebratory extra because "the Sox are going to win this game." Reluctantly, I raised the glass. The Stros proceeded to tie it up...and it took 14 innings to resolve it! Never again.

In fact, during inning 13 she got me another celebratory round...and that thing sat there for the next hour until that game was wrapped up!

chettt
10-29-2005, 09:57 AM
After game #1 loss to Angels, I placed my SOX hat pin on a cap I never wear. Wore the cap ever day - Sox went undefeated the rest on the way. The cap & pin are both retired - until the next 5-game losing streak.

southsider13
10-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Haha, some of these are funny. But I myself have plenty of ones...

My most bizarre one I probably had was my friend. Whenever we'd watch a game and the Sox were ever down he'd keep saying they'd lose and then they ended up losing. Well he did that with the Angels and after they lose I was done watching games with him. But he came over for a World Series game, kept saying we're gonna lose...then he left in the 4th inning to go to work and of course that was when we came back with 5 runs in the 5th.

Another one was with my hat, Pretty much where ever my hat was and the Sox were winning I had to keep it there. I left it on TV, it had to stay there until the end of the game. Earlier in the day of one of the games I threw my hat off and it was behind a dresser, once the Sox scored first I had to keep it there.

ja1022
10-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Let me just say it was nice to finally be able to change my underwear.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
My brother had a "lucky penny" he found on the South Shore the morning the Sox beat the Tigers to start that season-ending winning streak.
The only time he said he didn't have it was the ALCS Game 1. He told me he was sitting on our mom's couch and it fell out of his pocket. He had her look for it, which she found and gave back. He leaves it on his desk now.

On the same line of thinking, my 4 year old son gave my mom a quarter before Game 2 of the ALCS. (No reason, he just wanted grandma to have it.) She left it in her pocket and it brought luck to the team. She washed clothes before Game 2 of the World Series and didn't know where the thing was. She checked her pockets, she checked her purse, the Sox lost the lead.
She found it in the washer just in time for Scott to hit the walk-off.

Surreal.

Stroker Ace
10-29-2005, 03:52 PM
I've worn the same hat, shirt, and pants for the playoffs. Thank goodness for axe spray and the fact I'm not a messy eater.

Hagan
10-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I had to shave only between series. Also during home games i needed to sit in section 149 seat 1 row 3 or we lost. the only game where i didnt we lost. also during the boston game i switched seats with my friend and we then scored 5 in that innning.

Foulke You
10-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I wore only Sox Jersey T-Shirts for the playoff run and then we lost Game 1 to the Angels when I wore my regular authentic jersey so for the remaining playoff games and World Series, I went back to Jersey T Shirts. So the bottom line was Jersey T-Shirts 11W-0L and Regular Jersey 0W-1L.:D:

Banix12
10-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Early in the season, the flag we had outside our house started to disinigrate. We were going to replace it but the sox went off on that hot start so we just left it up all year. It's pretty tattered now but we're gonna take it down and frame it and put it up on the wall next to the newspapers from the day after the series victory.

ElCanuque
10-29-2005, 04:49 PM
When the A.L. Central lead got down to 1.5...I drew the Sox logo and the number 4 (then the magic number) on the blackboard during the U.S. history class I teach at a junior college here in San Diego. I also wore my '59 Sox cap into the class every day with the exception of one day (the same day the Sox lost the opener of the ALCS). Needless to say, the cap isn't coming off before class until the month of October is over on Monday, the 31st.

Frankfan4life
10-29-2005, 05:36 PM
The only ritual I really relied on was prayer. When I said my prayers at night I also prayed for a White Sox World Series victory. I also added some special prayers right before the games.

In this instance, I have to say my prayers were answered. That's why I thanked God in the World Series winning postgame thread.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2005, 05:33 PM
I stopped trimming my goate beard. Thankfully, the Sox won it all before it took on ZZ Top proportions...

SoxFan64
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
I have none when it comes to the Sox. If I really felt it helped them win I would dance naked, but I just sit back and enjoy the game.

They play; I cheer.

I save my vices for after the game.:cool:

Ron Karkovice
10-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I stopped shaving after the indians series at the end of the year...

and after we won game 4, i didnt shave because I'm starting to like the hobo look. true story.

Dolly
10-30-2005, 06:15 PM
My group of friends and I agreed that we wouldn't cut our hair until the Sox win it all. Thank God I can get it cut now!!! That was back in June. :D:

rdivaldi
10-31-2005, 02:08 AM
On or around September 22nd I was so disgusted that I threw all of my Sox shirts, hats, etc. into my closet and slammed the door. The next morning I figured someone in the house had to show some Sox pride so I had my son wear his Sox hat to daycare. One World Series championship later I finally wore my Sox hat again and my son didn't have to wear his every day. The kid definitely has better luck than I. :smile:

ChicagoHoosier
10-31-2005, 11:12 AM
At the playoff games, same road gray jersey and 1959 cap every time. Six beers. One before the game, 5 during the game.

At home, sat in same seat on couch, same jersey/cap. Six beers, but drink out of a Bears 12oz cup since it replicated game-like conditions. No beer was opened after the 3rd out of the 7th inning.

Mr. ChicagoHoosier followed similar protocol. Only game we didn't watch together was Game 1 of the ALCS. You do the math. Sorry to let everyone down with that.

Iwritecode
10-31-2005, 11:41 AM
I posted mine in this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=919133#post919133)

asindc
10-31-2005, 11:45 AM
I had a 100-yr. anniversary Sox pennant and a 1917 Sox cap in the same place on the floor in my bedroom for the entire playoffs. The World Series champions hat has been placed next to it!:smile:

chi_guy
10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
I wear the White Sox shirt I caught at the rally before the games started under my White Sox jersey (Albert Belle).

tacosalbarojas
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't sleep on game days.

alohafri
10-31-2005, 02:08 PM
The Mrs. and I burned a St. Jude candle throughout the stretch and the playoffs. After the loss against Anaheim, I practically wore my rosary beads out.

starboy0
10-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Listen to the games on the radio in my back yard. (Always seem to lose when I watch TV).

Wear the Buehrle jersey the day after he pitches

And wear the Thomas grey road only on the day of a possible clinch.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
I just noticed this the other day....
Every year i watch the usual batch of baseball movies. You know, stuff like the natural, bull durham, major league, eight men out. I mean at the start of the season EVERY year i watch these. Well i didn't this time! Of course it's a stupid coincidence but I don't think i'll ever watch them again. call me crazy..

Also I swore to never watch major league again if the jndjans took over 1st place during their impressive stretch at the end