PDA

View Full Version : Sox: One of the greatest baseball "teams"?

downstairs
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
I was thinking today...

(Assuming we can win 1 out of the next 4...)

Where do the 2005 Sox rank in terms of great pure baseball "teams"?

I look through past World Champions, and the sheer bulk of them were driven by 1, 2, or a ton of individual stars.

I don't think this team has any "historical" stars. It has nothing to do with the media, and its fine with me. I don't think we have a hall-of-famer on this team other than Thomas, and he only played a handful of regular season games.

I'm not about to say we're the #1 best "team" of all time... but I am hard pressed to find any team that won as a pure "team concept" as we have.

My personal baseball history goes back to 1982, and I know my way through the 70s teams pretty well... so maybe I'm wrong.

downstairs
10-26-2005, 06:01 PM
One caveat to my point... you may want to rank the 03 Marlins in there, or the 02 Angels. I have a very hard time with a Wild Card team being ranked in anything with teams that played well enough to win a division, or be the best team in their LEAGUE.

I think that counts in the equation. So I don't count those teams as much because their seasons often consist of a few weeks of awesome play

IUPeterman
10-26-2005, 06:21 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I think you have to include the '99 Yanks in there. They (like us hopefully) had a 11-1 postseason record. Yes, they had superstars, but that doesn't make them any less of a "team". On the other hand, if you were ranking teams that exceeded preseason expectations, I think you would have to put the Sox towards the top of that list.

HebrewHammer
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Believe it or not, but Gammons was on B&B today and claimed that the '05 Sox are one of the four or five best teams of the past 25 years. I can't argue with him.

miker
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
In a shallow time where individual accomplishments and television highlights are given undue attention, it is no wonder the "experts" have been fooled by what our Sox have done this year.

The best team in recent history? You have my vote.

doublem23
10-26-2005, 06:25 PM
The only team I can think of that was definitely better than these Sox was that Yankees team in 1999 that won something like 125 games in the regular and postseason. That Mariners team in 2001 was ungodly talented, but doesn't have any jewelry to show for their effort.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-26-2005, 06:30 PM
i was sort of thinking about this the other day. My dad saw the '59 team play and he tells me how cool it was to see all those guys. great names like billy pierce, nellie fox, etc...

just imagine telling your kids about seeing joe crede, paul konerko etc...

Doesn't it sound funny when you consider how some people around here have DOGGED these guys relentlessly earlier in the season?

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-26-2005, 06:38 PM
I also was thinking about this earlier today. Last night, we beat the Astros in a team effort. Everyone contributed in some way. It came down to the last guys in the bullpen and on the bench, and we were better. Even when El Duque and Marte were handing out walks like Christmas presents, they made the big pitches when they had to. On the other hand, their bullpen made a mistake to one of our backups, couldn't get the big out when he needed it.

It's what Ozzie has talked about all year and the thing that really has made this team different: everyone contributes, nobody is singled out. They play fundamental baseball (okay, there were a couple of mistakes), they aren't overwhelming in any one category, but they are a complete product without any holes. It's ****ing brilliant.

batmanZoSo
10-26-2005, 06:46 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I think you have to include the '99 Yanks in there. They (like us hopefully) had a 11-1 postseason record. Yes, they had superstars, but that doesn't make them any less of a "team". On the other hand, if you were ranking teams that exceeded preseason expectations, I think you would have to put the Sox towards the top of that list.

One of the best teams of all time? I have a hard time saying that, but there's simply no way you can argue with an 11-1 record if we do in fact get it tonight. I mean that's pure domination. We may not be a super-talented team and no surefire hall of famers on the playoff roster (though Buehrle and Garland are young and successful enough to be on that track, you never know). I would definitely agree with Gammons that we're on the short list of elite teams since 1980 or so. They may not be the 76 Reds or the 27 Yankees, but the way they've played this October, they could give any team in history a run for their money.