PDA

View Full Version : A long-time lurker posts his thanks to WSI creators/posters

Knoxville Sox
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Figured this was a good time to introduce myself. I'll be up front and say that I am not a traditional White Sox fan. Always had an admiration for the Sox franchise, as they gave my hometown minor league franchise 8 of the best baseball seasons it will ever experience (two Southern League titles during that period).

For years, I was like many East Tennesseans in supporting the Cincinnati Reds. But the strike left me with hard feelings toward the game, the owners, and the players. If baseball meant so little to them, then why should I bother? It was years before I watched another MLB game. But even as I returned, I realized that the clowns in ownership and union had nearly destroyed the love and commitment I had for baseball. It didn't help that what passed for discussion of the game in the papers, on talk shows, and on message boards had devolved into statistical nonsense and/or endless worship of the big money and/or high profile teams on the coasts. What had happened to the history? What had happened to the passion? Had the strike left the baseball world totally in control of Bill James addicts and Yankee/Red Sox/Braves/Cubs wannabees?

Two years ago, I found this site. It has restored my faith in baseball...or it least my faith that there is one place in this nation that holds on for dear life to everything I appreciated about baseball before 1994. The national media may not love the Chicago White Sox or their fans, but this site in my eyes demonstrates your absolute qualities in the world of baseball. You will simply not find another site dedicated to an MLB club that matches the level of dedication, love for tradition, and absolute commitment to the team that Sox fans display on WSI every day of the week. Try finding an in-depth interview with Richie Allen on a Phillies site. Try locating a Boston site that doesn't plumb the phony depths of despair regarding some curse involving Babe Ruth's piano. Try getting that Cubs site that actually defines for you what it means to be a Cub fan.

I've rebuilt my love and faith for this great game off your total commitment for the Chicago White Sox. The best thing I can say about the folks on this site is that in a world full of phonies (Some chaining themselves to that port-a-potty on the northside, some still trying to find Babe Ruth's piano in some New England cesspool, and some throughout the nation desperately seeking that fly Yankee gear.), you are the one of few who can consider themselves the genuine article.

The media may not see the fact that you are among the best fans this nation has to offer, but there are those of us watching and reading in the hinterlands who know the score. Many thanks from this born-again fan.

itsnotrequired
10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Excellent first post.

Welcome aboard!

tebman
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Beautifully said, KnoxvilleSox. Let me add my voice to the many that :welcome: you here!

We're all very near the point that so many of us thought we'd never see: a White Sox World Championship. We're happy you're here!

Baby Fisk
10-26-2005, 04:23 PM
:welcome: Very kind words.

skobabe8
10-26-2005, 04:25 PM
You managed to sum up everything I love about life, the White Sox, and WSI in your first post.

I almost want to print it, frame it, and hang it up.

Thanks, and obviously :welcome: !

kevin57
10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
:welcome:

One of the most articulate, sincere, passionate posts I've ever read.

Enjoy the next few days.

Vernam
10-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Great post, and welcome to WSI from a former Knoxvillian. We lived there in the 90s, in West Knoxville. Nice picture of Ted Lyons, too!

Go have a Litton's burger to celebrate tomorrow . . .

Vernam

chaotic8512
10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Wow, now that's an introduction. Like several have said, you have summarized my beliefs and shown true love for baseball.

:welcome:

Knoxville Sox
10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm going to enjoy reading your reactions to what takes place in the days to come. It probably will not lead to some Barbara Walters-inspired HBO tear-jerker documentary, but I suspect that your average White Sox fan would tell HBO to go to hell.

OH!foracold1
10-26-2005, 04:47 PM
It's great that you can join us in celebrating this awesome, once in a lifetime happening. Great post! Hes a toast to you. :cheers:

longshot7
10-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Wow! Thanks.

Go us!!!

Daver
10-26-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm going to enjoy reading your reactions to what takes place in the days to come. It probably will not lead to some Barbara Walters-inspired HBO tear-jerker documentary, but I suspect that your average White Sox fan would tell HBO to go to hell.

Nahhhh....

We would tell HBO to kiss our ass, and THEN go to hell.

Welcome to WSI.

:redneck

Baby Fisk
10-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Nahhhh....

We would tell HBO to kiss our ass, and THEN go to hell.

:redneck
Only after ESPN puckers up first. :cool: